PDA

View Full Version : Dumb hairstyle question: how is this done?

SecretMermaid
September 6th, 2014, 06:09 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm going to preface this with: I AM TERRIBLE WITH HAIRSTYLING. And so is my mother so I don't have anyone in person to help me. I've just found the thread that is a compilation of the various buns and am looking forward to looking through that in more detail as I think it will answer my bun questions, however there's a hairstyle I keep seeing in movies which I really like and I'm wondering how it's created. I doubt its natural as I've seen it too much… blow out? Any 'hair healthy' ways to achieve it if so? The photos I've attached are of Kate Winslet in Heavenly Creatures.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2ps36va.png

http://i59.tinypic.com/2ltik2u.png

Dumb dumb dumb question I know, but thank you so much :)

Angelica
September 6th, 2014, 06:35 AM
This looks really easy to do, you just curl it surely although I don't know if curls/waves will hold well without additional products and of course her hair is only shoulder length and basically one length by the look of it. I recently purchased a vintage hair styling kit call sculpture pin curl that could do this easily with pin curls. Again I don't know if the bounce will hold without products, but there are some more friendly hair products out there which don't contain all the nasties. If you have a natural wave though it may be easier to achiever.

lapushka
September 6th, 2014, 07:30 AM
Depends on what your natural texture is like. Have us hairtype you. Post a picture of your hair (shampoo/condition, let it airdry without touching it, so without combing). Then take a picture and post it. If you have a natural 1b/1c wave this style is pretty easy, if not, you'll have to straighten and curl and that's not particularly hair-friendly.

MsPharaohMoan
September 6th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Ha! Finally a time where my bendy hair experiences can help.

Part your hair directly above your eyebrow arch (or further). Putting your hair behind your ears while drying it will leave it with a kink on the strand near your face. I like styling the thinner face framing hairs forward, this usually encourages them to wave, especially when you're walking around the house. If you want and have a teaser brush or a small bbb (stay with me here), brush the hair along your forehead hairline back to mimic a cowlick (WITH the hair, not against). Don't bring the brush all the way up the strand, only brush 2-3 inches of hair.

This works for me, and dries into shape but I have a bit of wave (ish) to me so my hair cooperates. My part is very far and find my hair falls similarly to Kate's. Also, it helps to move around your part every now and then. My hair is flat right now but if I part it on the other side, mega volume! I imagine a star to be cloaked in a 3 foot thick hairspray cloud at all times, hence hairstyle's staying power, but I find molding the hair while wet/damp (being gentle as possible) is best cause then it dries natural.

Syren_Curls
September 6th, 2014, 12:08 PM
You can also try some rollers put in just where you see her hair has the rounded look. From the pics, it looks like the ends of her hair and a piece around her face. I would try some larger rollers with wide sections of hair rolled up to about earlobe or chin level and your bang area sectioned off then rolled under to one side up to cheekbone or eye level.

SecretMermaid
September 7th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Thank you so much everyone! I have a few things to try now :)

Lapushka - I didn't know you could be hair typed from photos, that's great because I have been wanting to know my hair type for a while but am really unsure (I am pretty sure I'm somewhere between a 1a & 1b). I'm washing my hair tomorrow so will post another thread on it then :)

Again, thank you so much to everyone for replying and tolerating my lack of hair knowledge :P

spidermom
September 7th, 2014, 09:34 AM
It looks too flat at the top to have been done with rollers, I think.

Syren_Curls
September 7th, 2014, 10:34 AM
It looks too flat at the top to have been done with rollers, I think.

Rollers just on the lower than ear portions so the rollers don't go up to the top of the head to give that area any lift ;-)

Calaelen
September 7th, 2014, 01:07 PM
I feel pretty confident in saying this was definietly done with rollers. Or, at the very least, this is how the originial style was achieved in the 40s and 50s. Start with a deep side part, and use large velcro rollers on the ends all the way around rolling under, only roll once or twice. On the front section created by the deep part, roll up more hair to about your cheek bone. You can start on damp not wet hair and use a blow dryer to dry, or let it dry naturally which should take an hour or two on this length fine to medium thickness hair.

captaincrunch
September 7th, 2014, 10:09 PM
Heavenly creatures is one of my favorite movies! My hair is kind of similar texture to Kate Winslet's so I always figured it was natural with a little curling iron action on the edges.

sourgrl
September 8th, 2014, 06:42 AM
I have a 2 inch curling iron that creates that look. Smooth big S waves. It's the 2 inches that makes the difference. If you can find 2 inch Velcro curlers or something similar it should work without the heat.

SecretMermaid
September 9th, 2014, 12:55 AM
Thank you for all of your replies, I'm looking forward to trying your suggestions :) I don't know if this style will actually suit me as my hair is longer but I figure at least I'll have a nice way to style my hair if I ever cut it back to its usual length (a few inches past my shoulders). I hope it will look good though, I'm not liking my hair too much right now.

Captaincrunch - Heavenly Creatures is one of my favourite movies now too! I watched Titanic a few weeks ago for the first time and have since watched a few of Kate Winslet's movies (Revolutionary Road, Heavenly Creatures, Jude, Holy Smoke!) and have really enjoyed them all. I'm watching Heavenly Creatures for the third time right now actually :p