PDA

View Full Version : Went to get layers and during my consult I was told my hair looked like curtains...

pinchbeck
September 5th, 2014, 07:23 PM
Okay...another stylist also said when my hair was one length a few year ago that it looked like a broom, but today a different stylist said that it looked like curtains. Gazing at the reflection in the mirror I agreed. We went on to discuss my pear shaped face and how it makes the bottom of my face look wider and that cutting off six inches and lightening it up in the front would lighten my look and camouflage my face shape (which really was the goal).

During the consultation I asked myself, "what is wrong with having hair that looks like curtains, is it really that bad?" Over two years ago I had the exact style my stylist was talking about and loved how it moved and danced but then remembered that I had regretted cutting so much hair off which took 2.5 years to grow back. My stylist said maybe this time around I wouldn't regret it and would be ready for a style more suited to my face. I sat there pondering and decided I didn't want to feel that same regret again even though I would have walked out a different women.

Has anyone else had a stylist state their one length hair looked like curtains, a broom, or other? How did you feel? Did you agree or disagree?

Chromis
September 5th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Growing up they could never decide if my hair was so thick that they needed to go after it with those awful thinning shears or so thin that it looked ratty....I'm pretty sure looking back that it was neither!

I'm not sure how long hair could make your face look wider though, usually they are always claiming that it makes your face look longer (which I think is a load of hogwash...and I wear it up anyhow)

meteor
September 5th, 2014, 08:03 PM
During the consultation I asked myself, "what is wrong with having hair that looks like curtains, is it really that bad?" Over two years ago I had the exact style my stylist was talking about and loved how it moved and danced but then remembered that I had regretted cutting so much hair off which took 2.5 years to grow back. My stylist said maybe this time around I wouldn't regret it and would be ready for a style more suited to my face. I sat there pondering and decided I didn't want to feel that same regret again even though I would have walked out a different women.

Pinchbeck, I think it's somewhat cultural and down to individual taste. Some people would think that covering your body with hair like a curtain is cool and majestic and others would think it's bad and "needs a cut".

It's really all up to you! :flower: The stylist is only there to help you bring YOUR vision to life. :)

I personally, really love the look of massive hair now, but I used to have it thinned out, chopped, layered into submission - I wanted it to look "average" and "professional" for many years. Now I can't even believe that I wanted that look. :lol:
What I'm trying to say is that it's normal to change your views and for people to feel very differently about the same thing. :)

pinchbeck
September 5th, 2014, 09:04 PM
Growing up they could never decide if my hair was so thick that they needed to go after it with those awful thinning shears or so thin that it looked ratty....I'm pretty sure looking back that it was neither!

I'm not sure how long hair could make your face look wider though, usually they are always claiming that it makes your face look longer (which I think is a load of hogwash...and I wear it up anyhow)

Thinning shears are horrible and do horrible things to hair and then when hair grows in it looks like a rat's nest. Regarding hair making a person's face look wider, if a person has a narrow forehead and wider jaw they look triangular like this: /_\

Chromis
September 5th, 2014, 09:28 PM
Thinning shears are horrible and do horrible things to hair and then when hair grows in it looks like a rat's nest. Regarding hair making a person's face look wider, if a person has a narrow forehead and wider jaw they look triangular like this: /_\

I know the curly folks can get some impressive poofiness if they brush their hair out, but usually growing longer tames that right down unless you are trying to make it go boom. There's a thread for it somewhere :lol:

NoRush
September 6th, 2014, 03:44 AM
They say it looks like curtains until some big shot fashion editor decides the look is "in", then all of a sudden it's the magically most flattering look ever. Just do what you feel most comfortable with! Your hair, your attitude! ;)

Johannah
September 6th, 2014, 05:01 AM
They say it looks like curtains until some big shot fashion editor decides the look is "in", then all of a sudden it's the magically most flattering look ever. Just do what you feel most comfortable with! Your hair, your attitude! ;)

Couldn't have said it better myself! ;)

eshta
September 6th, 2014, 06:44 AM
I have been told both. If it's longer I'm told it looks like curtains, that it drags my face down and looks frumpy, when it's layered and thinned out (most stylist recommend this for me) it frizzes and poofs up really bad (I'm a borderline wavy). I have been (mostly) wearing it up or contained in a braid or ponytail for years now, I have never been happier with my hair.

Half-ups and up-do's with volume on top might also change the look of your face shape without the permanence of cutting.

lapushka
September 6th, 2014, 07:28 AM
It's a matter of "style" versus a classic look, IMO. Neither is bad or worse than the other. It just depends on your preference.

two_wheels
September 6th, 2014, 08:13 AM
I agree that it's just a look, nothing positive or negative about it, it depends what you want to look like.

I personally am not into it for my face shape, but like eshta, layers make my hair poofy and thin at the same time, not good. So my goal is no-layers.

One idea for you if you want a break from curtains without chopping: if I want to wear my hair down when it's long, I twist each side up and clip in place with little jaw clips. I think that looks particularly pretty on wavy hair, it really flatters the texture, but it's wearable for many hair types I think.

pinchbeck
September 6th, 2014, 08:55 AM
It's a matter of "style" versus a classic look, IMO. Neither is bad or worse than the other. It just depends on your preference.

Personally I feel 'the curtain look' is very attractive. However, if a person doesn't have the facial shape to carry the look then it can be questionable.

One idea for you if you want a break from curtains without chopping: if I want to wear my hair down when it's long, I twist each side up and clip in place with little jaw clips. I think that looks particularly pretty on wavy hair, it really flatters the texture, but it's wearable for many hair types I think.

This is a beautiful look and there women in my town who sport this style.

truepeacenik
September 6th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Pinchbeck,
At 45, you are at prime vulnerability. The next excuse will be that short hair makes your face look less jowly/saggy/whatever word they have on the tip of their tongue.

While I see the point along with the dreaded triangle hair bit (and imagine a Dilbert coworker when I hear the phrase), I have to wonder if there's some way to be less severe with my updos to give that same lift and keep my curtains.

Resist the ageist patriarchy that says we are not good as we are! :wigtongue:

DweamGoiL
September 6th, 2014, 09:08 AM
I agree with what the others have said, but what struck me most of all from your OP is that even the wording in your post comes off as, and I am writing this to be constructive so please don't take it the wrong way, but rather insecure. Judgmental people zero in on insecurity and feed on it. I would not have allowed for anyone to tell me how I should look or that my face is unflattering. You didn't go in there to be picked apart, but for some advice to bring out your best features. I read no mention of you having any unless you completely changed your look and in the interim paid out lots of cash for chemical processing and a complicated cut + a lofty tip, I'm sure.

Next time you go style your hair, I would suggest you go with a photo of what YOU WANT to achieve and then talk about how this CAN happen. The conversation is not about how the stylist will like it or not, but how YOU will like it, please keep that in mind :)

ETA - and btw, I am also 45, but I don't care about popular opinions or have time to worry if I am people pleasing. I am me, and I like me!

burny
September 6th, 2014, 10:40 AM
pinchbeck. From what you've said, I would guess you aren't "into fashion". In which case, I would suggest to just get what makes you happy(many people want to be "just like everyone else"). I've had highlights once, and hated it(never did it again), also had hair 'thinned' before(which was nice for a few weeks, but then terrible after 3-10months).
I find that well done 'layers' is perfectly fine to do; but that you need to have the same stylist every time to maintain them, everyone cuts them differently.

If cutting shorter made you unhappy before, then unless something changed(eg. you want to color it, find the length irritating, are 'getting into fashion', etc.) then I would guess you still want the same things as before. Maybe make a pros and cons list, of long hair vs short? Being sure to only put things on the list, that matter to you.

spidermom
September 6th, 2014, 10:51 AM
One of the reasons I got layers was because I thought my blunt-cut hair resembled a cape. Nobody else said that to me, though.

pinchbeck
September 6th, 2014, 10:55 AM
pinchbeck. From what you've said, I would guess you aren't "into fashion". In which case, I would suggest to just get what makes you happy(many people want to be "just like everyone else"). I've had highlights once, and hated it(never did it again), also had hair 'thinned' before(which was nice for a few weeks, but then terrible after 3-10months).
I find that well done 'layers' is perfectly fine to do; but that you need to have the same stylist every time to maintain them, everyone cuts them differently.

If cutting shorter made you unhappy before, then unless something changed(eg. you want to color it, find the length irritating, are 'getting into fashion', etc.) then I would guess you still want the same things as before. Maybe make a pros and cons list, of long hair vs short? Being sure to only put things on the list, that matter to you.

You're right, I am not so much into fashion although I like looking at it on others with admiration. There is one photo in my albums where my hair is shorter with layers and it does look better but it felt like an imposter.

When it comes to age some people will be on target with it while others will not be so it's hard to know if a stylist sees a women in her mid forties or late thirties. But the indicators are there such as the beginnings of those aforementioned jowls.:o

One of the reasons I got layers was because I thought my blunt-cut hair resembled a cape. Nobody else said that to me, though. A cape...too funny! How short is your shortest layer in the front?

Akville
September 6th, 2014, 11:25 AM
I don't like when hair looks like a curtains... I love to have texture and layers and stuff. hair looks so much alife when its like that.. but it hard to do a descent hair stile with all end that sticking out... so its both pro and cons...

martyna_22
September 6th, 2014, 11:41 AM
It's funny, I thought of my hair as a blanket once, when I had a blunt cut :D Anyway, you can compare hair to a number of things but it still remains hair. I like ome layers in the front as my face looks so much better, but from the back I actually prefer no layers.
I looked at your album and I find your hair gorgeous the way it is. If you choose to layer, though, I'm sure your hair will be just as lovely!

animetor7
September 6th, 2014, 12:36 PM
You can also always try a different parting to avoid the curtains effect. I know a side part softens most looks without having to chop. :)

Gertrude
September 6th, 2014, 12:45 PM
I remember when Demi Moore was admired for her straight ironed curtains of black hair. Not long ago. It's always something with stylists. It looks like curtains. Yes, without a parting at all it is Cousin It. It just hangs there. No it is not playing the guitar.

I have had : This would hide your very high forehead. I don't have one.

That would really disguise your very square jaw and wide face. I have a narrow face, hard to get spectacles for it.

Some more volume at the front and highlights would really make your narrow face look much fuller. Dubious , but got the face shape right.

I would translate the curtains comment on the fact that curtains may need a tiny trim, not very often. Rather independent from your hairdresser. Few $ but the other, supposedly better style, would need lots of $ and keep you coming back a lot more often. I wouldn't call that unbiased advice.

spidermom
September 6th, 2014, 12:50 PM
I have bangs with a bit of face framing that blends down from the bangs. In the back, my shortest layer is between APL and BSL. I like it a lot better than blunt cut.

pinchbeck
September 6th, 2014, 01:08 PM
I remember when Demi Moore was admired for her straight ironed curtains of black hair. Not long ago. It's always something with stylists. It looks like curtains. Yes, without a parting at all it is Cousin It. It just hangs there. No it is not playing the guitar.

I have had : This would hide your very high forehead. I don't have one.

That would really disguise your very square jaw and wide face. I have a narrow face, hard to get spectacles for it.

Some more volume at the front and highlights would really make your narrow face look much fuller. Dubious , but got the face shape right.

I would translate the curtains comment on the fact that curtains may need a tiny trim, not very often. Rather independent from your hairdresser. Few $ but the other, supposedly better style, would need lots of $ and keep you coming back a lot more often. I wouldn't call that unbiased advice.

How could a person see something on you that isn't there? They mustn't be very skilled. Regarding my hair needing at trim, I suggested that and was told it would still look the same. Nonetheless, I did have 1.5" cut off three weeks ago and the stylist cut my hair in the chair on an angle where the left side is 2/3" longer than the right. Initially I asked if she wanted me to stand to make the cut easier on her, but she said it wasn't necessary. Go figure. So now I have a sloped hemline.

lapushka
September 6th, 2014, 02:26 PM
pinchbeck, if you want layers, you could always try cutting them yourself by using one of the compact cut methods (ponytail on top of the head for longer layers, ponytail on top of the forehead for short layers). I had the method for short layers done and my shortest layer is almost BSL while my total length is almost TBL. It doesn't bother me with updos - at all, but I would not do the layers on shorter hair as the shortest layers can turn out *very* short!

FrozenBritannia
September 6th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Curtains? What kind of comment is that? Oh sure, chop six inches off, it'll look so much better!! No, it will look shorter. That's all.

If you wanted to keep the blunt hemline, you could get some face framing bangs, and a shaped hemline. A U blunt has more shape than a straight across blunt. There are methods for achieving that at home. For the bangs and face framing bits, just put your hair back and pull out the sections around your face and your temples, then cut them into three different lengths (shoulder, chin, cheekbone) it will give you the look of layers around the face without the pain of layers in braids and updos.

embee
September 6th, 2014, 05:56 PM
I guess I don't understand what's bad about the "curtains" comment.

Some years ago DD and I were helping a lady move a bunch of furniture. At one point DD's hair (in a ponytail) was uncomfortable and she pulled out the elastic - and her hair swung forward "Like a Curtain". It was beautiful - and both I and the lady gasped, it was so soft and smooth and - it just went like a piece of heavy fabric. So I don't get what's wrong with that. ;)

Your hair dresser must have meant something else altogether.

My guess is she meant you needed to come in frequently for "fixing" because your hair isn't "right" - and it won't be "right" unless she fixes it every few weeks.

pinchbeck
September 8th, 2014, 09:19 AM
I guess I don't understand what's bad about the "curtains" comment.

Some years ago DD and I were helping a lady move a bunch of furniture. At one point DD's hair (in a ponytail) was uncomfortable and she pulled out the elastic - and her hair swung forward "Like a Curtain". It was beautiful - and both I and the lady gasped, it was so soft and smooth and - it just went like a piece of heavy fabric. So I don't get what's wrong with that. ;)

Your hair dresser must have meant something else altogether.

My guess is she meant you needed to come in frequently for "fixing" because your hair isn't "right" - and it won't be "right" unless she fixes it every few weeks.

Your daughter's hair resembling a curtain is a compliment because my guess is it means it is heavy like one. However, when the plural form of curtains is used it means a person's face is the window and the hair at the sides are the curtains - which just hang there. There is no movement, visual interest, nor is the hair airy. I put a photo of it in my avatar so people get a better understanding of what the stylist was referring to.

Esperada
September 8th, 2014, 10:45 AM
This is the reason I cut half of my hair off and thinned it around March time, my mother kept saying how long and drab it looked. It was a little below TBL very straight and very very thick, had some long layers in it and a V hemline and I loved it. Can't believe I cut it to just below shoulder length it's now only just gotten to just below BSL

embee
September 8th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Your daughter's hair resembling a curtain is a compliment because my guess is it means it is heavy like one. However, when the plural form of curtains is used it means a person's face is the window and the hair at the sides are the curtains - which just hang there. There is no movement, visual interest, nor is the hair airy. I put a photo of it in my avatar so people get a better understanding of what the stylist was referring to.

Thank you. I think your hair in your avatar looks lovely. I am envious. (You should try mine!)

If you are concerned about something softer around the face then maybe a half-up with braids or twists, as suggested earlier, would be good. That and earrings that move should be quite fine. ;) Or some wavy front layers long enough to get into an updo when you need/want that.

I have embraced the "Egg" look, myself. ;) (It's all that is really availlable to me.)

Chromis
September 8th, 2014, 12:47 PM

That's what hair does! It hangs off our heads. It's not going to sing and dance (and frankly I'd be pretty worried if my hair started tap dancing!)

I think this looks great myself and if you want to change things up there are lots of ways that don't involve cutting unless that is what *you* want to do. There are tons of updos of course, and you can do lots of half ups, or little twists or accent braids. All sorts of variations! I don't see the need for a hairdresser to be so insulting about it and do not understand why so many people go back to these nasty people. There are lots of hairdressers out there to patronize after all! (And that isn't mentioning how many of us simply cut our own instead.)

Zesty
September 8th, 2014, 01:03 PM
That's what hair does! It hangs off our heads. It's not going to sing and dance (and frankly I'd be pretty worried if my hair started tap dancing!)

Haha this is the best response to the "it just hangs there" comment that I've ever heard. :thumbsup:

From your avatar I think you look lovely. I don't think your hair drags your face down or any nonsense like that. That said, my opinion doesn't really matter. Do what makes you happy, whether that means having "curtains" hair or short and layered.

DreamSheep
September 8th, 2014, 02:48 PM
First of all, I want to compliment you on your hair (and you don't look a day past 30!) and you have a beautiful face. Anyway, compliments aside, my Spanishness really wanted to let you know that - I agree with burny - do what makes you happy, because stylists will often be suggesting what they would like for their hair, but obviously people like different things.

I think you like your length, so I wouldn't sacrifice that, but if you want more face framing, then you may be able to have a fringe or some long or side bangs just to give a bit of style without sacrificing length and not much thickness. But of course, do what makes you happy. :) And you have lovely hair x

pinchbeck
September 11th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Curtains? What kind of comment is that? Oh sure, chop six inches off, it'll look so much better!! No, it will look shorter. That's all.

If you wanted to keep the blunt hemline, you could get some face framing bangs, and a shaped hemline. A U blunt has more shape than a straight across blunt. There are methods for achieving that at home. For the bangs and face framing bits, just put your hair back and pull out the sections around your face and your temples, then cut them into three different lengths (shoulder, chin, cheekbone) it will give you the look of layers around the face without the pain of layers in braids and updos.

Attempting a self-cut isn't my forte. I am thinking more longer layers at the front with the shortest starting at bsl to give my hair more movement in the front. I asked my stylist that day if he could layer the front only and he said he'd have to layer all over if he was to do what I asked. My facial expression afterwards was one of a one-browed look.

Anyhow, there are lots of layering techniques on Youtube and some of them are angled in ways a person would never think of. The end results are stunning and the stylists using the techniques must have had special training. There is also very bad layering advice where the end result is rather choppy and unprofessional looking whether it is done by a stylist or the person themselves.

First of all, I want to compliment you on your hair (and you don't look a day past 30!) and you have a beautiful face. Anyway, compliments aside, my Spanishness really wanted to let you know that - I agree with burny - do what makes you happy, because stylists will often be suggesting what they would like for their hair, but obviously people like different things.

Thank you for your kind words. It's not often I hear nice things about my appearance.