PDA

View Full Version : Coconut oil - refined or unrefined?

Larki
September 5th, 2014, 07:15 PM
I'm thinking of trying out coconut oil - do I want refined or unrefined? Does this look like a good choice? http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/nature%27s-way-efagold-coconut-oil-dietary-supplement/ID=prod6037538-product

skeletonous
September 5th, 2014, 07:17 PM
That looks like a great choice :) I think most people go for unrefined. I love that it's also organic and GMO free, among other great things!

gthlvrmx
September 5th, 2014, 07:21 PM
I think unrefined if the better choice.

meteor
September 5th, 2014, 07:43 PM
It's actually easier to find "unrefined, organic" coconut oil in this part of the world, because coconut oil is considered to be a "health food", whatever that means (the term is unregulated, just like "organic")...

I certainly think unrefined is best for eating for many reasons, but as for hair... I'm actually not 100% sure :hmm:

The thing is: hair is dead (so it can't benefit from any nutritional value of VCO), but what makes coconut oil so good for hair is its medium-chain triglycerides, which allows coconut oil to penetrate cortex and bind to hair protein, protecting it to some degree from weathering, harsh cleansers, even peroxide damage! However, fractionated, refined coconut oil would have even smaller molecular structure, so shouldn't it penetrate better? :hmm:
Also, fractionated coconut oil is liquid at cold temperatures, which makes it easier to use in cold countries. (Many of us have experienced virgin coconut oil solidifying in white, crunchy tiny flakes on hair when it's cold out!)
From my experience, it looks like fractionated oil might penetrate hair better (it becomes invisible on my hair faster than unrefined, organic oil).

I'm really curious about other people's experiences with VCO vs. fractionated, refined coconut oil! :D

Firefox7275
September 5th, 2014, 07:53 PM
The published research used refined coconut oil IIRC. Coconut oil doesn't have anything like the antioxidant content of, say, olive oil so that is unlikely to make much difference even if hair wasn't dead as a dodo.

Sorry but I've never understood the obsession with virgin or organic since we don't routinely advocate that for other haircare products. I think we risk putting fulfilling the 'long haircare is expensive' myth and not considering the impact of the financial climate by suggesting whatever is the cheapest or readily available option.

I like fractionated coconut oil for smoothing and styling (hopefully penetrating) but stick to regular coconut oil for pre and post dye treatment.

kaydana
September 5th, 2014, 08:00 PM
If I'm eating it, I want the yummy smelling VCO. My hair has no sense of smell or taste, so it's happy with the refined stuff that does the same job for about half the price.

LunaLuvsU
September 5th, 2014, 08:09 PM
I've gotten better results with unrefined.

curlylocks85
September 6th, 2014, 09:27 PM
That is what I just started using for coconut oil myself. My hair seems to love it. :)

burny
September 6th, 2014, 09:47 PM
From the research I've done: Coconut oil, compared to most other oils, is good for hair because it has a lot of 'saturated fatty acids' or 'long chain triglycerides'. And that 'refined' oil, means that the oil is reduced(separated) into specific types of oil(fatty acid), then each type is sold separately for different purposes. So, refined oil could be better, worse or same, as unrefined; depending on which oils you get, and which one(s) you want.

The 'saturated' oils, are generally good for hair, because they are hydrophobic(repel water), and bonds well with damaged hair(gets stuck in the cracks between damaged follicles). This helps to keep moisture in(or out).

Sparklylady82
September 6th, 2014, 11:11 PM
I have no clue which is better for the hair but for me I had a bad experience with unrefined. I never had a "problem" with coconut oil until I used unrefined...then I broke out on my face from an allergic reaction to it! Some thought that it could have been because it was unrefined. Lessoned learned: Wear a sleep cap when using any oils overnight! :bow:

Marika
September 7th, 2014, 12:21 AM
I haven't noticed any difference with refined or unrefined except scent and the price. Refined is cheaper but I can't stand the smell of it. It's supposed to be relatively scent-free but to me, it smells like cooking grease (unless it's scented). I love the natural coconut scent and that's why my choice is unrefined. And I agree with meteor, nowadays it's easier to find organic & unrefined coconut oil than refined.

BroomHilda
September 7th, 2014, 05:33 AM
The published research used refined coconut oil IIRC. Coconut oil doesn't have anything like the antioxidant content of, say, olive oil so that is unlikely to make much difference even if hair wasn't dead as a dodo.

Sorry but I've never understood the obsession with virgin or organic since we don't routinely advocate that for other haircare products. I think we risk putting fulfilling the 'long haircare is expensive' myth and not considering the impact of the financial climate by suggesting whatever is the cheapest or readily available option.

This.

There is absolutely no difference whether you use refined, unrefined, organic or extra virgin CO on your hair. What makes the coconut oil exceptional for hair is its content of small chain fatty acids, lauric acid, caprylic and capric acid. These dont change with refining process.
Unless you want an all-in-one product for cooking, consumption and cosmetic purposes, there is no need on wasting your money on "organic" things for your hair.
Plus the strong smell which is a downside when having it on your head.

hannabiss
September 7th, 2014, 06:24 AM
I feel that I must stop a myth that is going around. not all refined coconut oil remains a liquid. in fact I buy organic refined coconut oil and it becomes a solid the same as the temp as the unrefined. It simply has no smell. Which has bothered some. I love the unrefined because I do love the smell. Louana coconut oil is a prime example of refined coconut oil that indeed becomes a solid. I have seen the coconut oil that remains a liquid. I'm just trying to say you can indeed find coconut oil that's refined and still behaves like unrefined.

hannabiss
September 7th, 2014, 06:28 AM
The brand spectrum is also organic and makes refined as well as unrefined. Both become solid.

kaydana
September 7th, 2014, 06:55 AM
I feel that I must stop a myth that is going around. not all refined coconut oil remains a liquid. in fact I buy organic refined coconut oil and it becomes a solid the same as the temp as the unrefined. It simply has no smell. Which has bothered some. I love the unrefined because I do love the smell. Louana coconut oil is a prime example of refined coconut oil that indeed becomes a solid. I have seen the coconut oil that remains a liquid. I'm just trying to say you can indeed find coconut oil that's refined and still behaves like unrefined.

Nobody has said refined coconut oil remains a liquid. :confused:

Fractionated coconut oil has a lower melting point than unrefined, this is the liquid coconut oil people are talking about. Refined coconut oil has the same melting point as unrefined coconut oil. Hydrogenated coconut oil has a higher melting point.

burny
September 7th, 2014, 07:00 AM
science: Coconut oil is made up of a bunch of different things(mostly various oils). Each one of those has a different melting point(some below room temperature, some above). I believe the generally, short chains melt at lower temperatures, and longer chains melt higher. So you could choose solid or liquid depending on which you prefer, or get 'unrefined' if you want a mixture of the types.