PDA

View Full Version : Hair length tied to feelings?

cdonald2
September 5th, 2014, 06:18 PM
I notice that for me, my hair length is directly linked to my self esteem. When i got it cut really short to rid my head of damage, i felt really unattractive and bad about myself.

I have a good friend who is at classic and she told me she gets into a really bad mood whenever she has to get a trim, and is grumpy for a few days.

Anyone else's mood depend on their hair length or style?

ExpectoPatronum
September 5th, 2014, 06:20 PM
I've noticed that the longer my hair gets, the better I feel about myself. I know it's kind of pathetic, but what can you do. I wouldn't say I felt ugly when I had cut my hair shorter (shoulder length), just that I like how I look more and more as my hair grows.

Does that make sense?

MsPharaohMoan
September 5th, 2014, 06:22 PM
My hair is the longest I've ever had and I'm certainly happier than I've ever been, but I don't think there's a connection… Then again, I'm not willing to chop to find out! :tmi:

jacqueline101
September 5th, 2014, 06:53 PM
This is interesting when I had shoulder length hair I felt unattractive compared to longer haired people. I still feel that away to a point.

gthlvrmx
September 5th, 2014, 07:08 PM
I certainly see a connection with me and long hair. The longer it is on me, the happier I am! I just love it long :)

AmyBeth
September 5th, 2014, 07:23 PM
Not at all. I like my hair longer rather than shorter, but it was fun to have swingy SL hair for a change. I don't really feel that I'm a better or even more attractive person because my hair is long now. Coming to LHC has been wonderful for me because I accept my hair now, the way it is, rather than wishing it were different. Hair is very important to me, and the sense of acceptance that I learned regarding my hair has "spread" to other aspects of my life, and I do feel better about myself than ever. But the length has nothing to do with it, really. As long as you take good care of your hair and don't cut it, it will grow to it's full potential. So don't feel bad, girls. And guys.:)

queenovnight
September 5th, 2014, 08:09 PM
Yep. As much as I hate to admit it, I feel much prettier with my hip length hair. When it was short, I hated myself and felt like the most unattractive person in a room, despite hearing otherwise. It's a bit sad that the length of hair can effect someone so deeply, but it most certainly brings up my self esteem to have long hair.

Madora
September 5th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Definitely not happy when one of my braided styles doesn't jive. Particularly annoying since most of the time said style comes off with no trouble atall. I don't leave the house until the hairstyle looks the way I want.

sarahchant
September 5th, 2014, 09:01 PM
I definitely feel less attractive with short hair. That's a personal opinion of course, but it is tied to my self esteem. I also feel less feminine but I'm sure that's only based on cultural norms.

spirals
September 5th, 2014, 09:05 PM
I felt more attractive with APL hair. Now I have it in a bun all the time, and that feels matronly. But it's too hot to wear it down, and braids take too long to do. I can do a lazy wrap in under a minute. I won't cut it, though, at least not shorter than BSL.

Entangled
September 5th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Short hair was cute on me, but when I was in a room filled with longer haired people, I felt chubby, clumsy, and awkward. When it's longer, I like my appearance much more. I know it's pathetic, but it's true! Long hair is my beauty ideal.

WagonX
September 5th, 2014, 09:38 PM
It's funny--I've had short haircuts for so long that growing my hair out now is making me feel really insecure! Having a buzz cut made me feel really happy and comfortable, and all this...HAIR, I don't know what to do with it yet! I want to keep persevering, though, because I'm curious! ("All this" being a pixie cut, haha. I know that I barely have any hair at all compared to most of you-all on here.)

neko_kawaii
September 5th, 2014, 09:53 PM
Nope. I'm me at any hair length.

LadyCelestina
September 6th, 2014, 02:12 AM
I like my long hair,so naturally it's not pleasant to lose length,but I don't think I'm less attractive because of that.

Phexlyn
September 6th, 2014, 03:18 AM
Well, there's sort of a connection for me... if I don't like how my hair looks, I don't feel as attractive/confident. And I'm far better at managing long hair than at having short hair ;)
But I guess the same is true for the clothes I wear and if my shoes are comfy or not, so for me it's more a general "feeling good in my skin" thing.

dogzdinner
September 6th, 2014, 03:20 AM
I think Im the complete oppisite TBH! When Im feeling super happy and confident is when I tend to chop all my hair off and go for a short do!
But then again it never usually got past midback before and its heading past waist now and I dont have the same urge to go for the chop. Im feeling alot more attached to it (if that doesnt sound really daft and redundant!LOL), kinda like its my hairy little pet! :D

martyna_22
September 6th, 2014, 04:10 AM
I like my hair at longer lengths, but when I was at waist a year ago with a blunt hemline, no bangs, I felt really ugly, as it didn't suit my face at all. Now, after a chop in November, I'm back at waist, with long side swept bangs and I feel better about myself. I'm thinking of slight layers in the front as well. I'm still having urges to chop, but they don't last. I feel that I'll stay at waist for a while :)
When I had chin length, though, I hated my hair passionately. So, generally, the longer, the better, but still to some extent only.

Johannah
September 6th, 2014, 04:58 AM
The longer it gets, the more feminine I feel. And I definitely feel more attractive with my hair down instead of in a bun.

lapushka
September 6th, 2014, 07:37 AM
I usually don't attach that much importance to my hair, but only when something is done to it that I don't like for some reason, do I get upset. Just normal, I guess.

spirals
September 6th, 2014, 12:16 PM
I like my hair at longer lengths, but when I was at waist a year ago with a blunt hemline, no bangs, I felt really ugly, as it didn't suit my face at all. Now, after a chop in November, I'm back at waist, with long side swept bangs and I feel better about myself. I'm thinking of slight layers in the front as well.

I have to have some kind of layers always. I don't look good with all-one-length. I'm on the fence about blunt hemline. I have that now and it looks good from the back (covers my back fat, lol) but from the front I feel like a V-hem would blend better. Ah, well--I always see my hair as an ongoing experiment. Layers rock, though.

molljo
September 6th, 2014, 12:47 PM
I don't think it's as simple as "long hair = happiness" when my hair was at its longest I didn't like myself at all, and I felt great with pixies, until I suddenly didn't, which is what led me here to LHC. It's about whatever makes you feel the most confident and secure in your appearance. I'd say for most of the people here, long hair is what makes people feel good about themselves seeing as how it's a long hair forum, but for another person it would mean heat-styled beyond all recognition or fresh new extensions, or a certain dress or lip color.

Sunny_side_up
September 6th, 2014, 12:48 PM
My hairs up most of the time in a claw clip with side swept bangs so kind of looks like a pixie most of the time, then I get people noticing "its grown a bit longer "when rarely wear it in a pony. I recently did my own layers and like the movement its created, though when I need a boost its either a trim or like I did recently cut my layers. In the past it was the occasional visit to a haidresser and go for a change in look & always left feeling good.has been years since I have gone to a hairdresser, these days its mostly benign neglect, the days thinking its looking good outnumbering days feeling I want to have a completely new style.

cdonald2
September 6th, 2014, 04:23 PM
I personally feel like i look heavier and less feminine with shorter hair. Like I said earlier, I feel much better when my hair is long. Though ive yet to reach my ideal even once so far :(

lapushka
September 6th, 2014, 05:11 PM
I personally feel like i look heavier and less feminine with shorter hair. Like I said earlier, I feel much better when my hair is long. Though ive yet to reach my ideal even once so far :(

It's not difficult, really, the thing is... you have to give it time. :) Perhaps, set tiny milestones. You'll get excited when you reach a new little milestone.

HairFaerie
September 6th, 2014, 05:15 PM
Yes, definitely along these lines...I feel my attitude change with my hair length. When I have very short pixie cuts, I feel more bold, outgoing and dominant. As my hair grows (the longest it has been as an adult was almost waist), I feel more introverted and submissive. There is no "good" or " bad" with either style, just an observation about how I notice my personality shift. Both are still "me". I like both styles on me for different reasons. I am growing it long again for several reasons and I admit, sometimes I do miss the pixie but it isn't very diverse.

curlylocks85
July 16th, 2015, 07:04 PM
I relate. I feel more confident and attractive with longer hair. I don't feel this way with short hair. Longer hair suites me an my personality. If it were to be SL again, I would not be happy and I would feel odd and inadequate. Of course I would deal with it, but I wouldn't like it. My hair, my emotions, and my being, are all tied together, which indeed includes my hair. :)

amino
July 16th, 2015, 08:02 PM
Nope. I loved my hair at pixie, at chin length, etc. I think the only times I feel in askance about it is when it doesn't look good because my style went wrong, it's dirty and I haven't had time to wash it, the awkward collarbone to APL length *shudder* (I don't like how it looks on me, but it looks great on other people!), or when it's tangly and doesn't want to do anything. (Am switching to no-cones. I haven't had tangles this bad in ages). Otherwise, I'm me no matter what my hair length is.

lapis_lazuli
July 16th, 2015, 08:34 PM
Very much so. Like ExpectoPatronum, the longer my hair gets, the better I feel. If I really think about it and analyze myself, my hair is something I can control in my life and I'll take advantage of that. I'll let it grow until it refuses to go anymore regardless of what others say...
Besides, it's like a shield from the bad state of health I'm in. It makes me at least feel (and maybe look) healthy.

DeadlyUnicorn
July 16th, 2015, 09:23 PM
The longer it gets the prettier and happier I feel.. I was so unhappy with my hair when it was shorter :/

MINAKO
July 16th, 2015, 09:32 PM
My big chop from hip to collarbone a few years ago felt really empowering, no hard feelings at all. Hair was fried and needed to go, i was relieved and enjoying a fresh start and different me.
Now as it got so much longer taking good care of it, is very empowering too, but also i feel the longer my hair gets the more detached i become, as if i am turning into some sort of spiritual geisha guru who doesnt give a rats a** about society and its rules. Maybe its solely the weight of my bun that keeps my chin aloft, lol, but i am sure some members will exactly get what i'm trying to say. I have princess hair, nothing can bother me, not even the fact that i can feel pretty demonic about the rest of myself at times.

missrandie
July 16th, 2015, 09:51 PM
Maybe its solely the weight of my bun that keeps my chin aloft

That is a beautiful and fantastic way to look at it!

I felt oddly transcendent with my big chop to pixie: I felt like I was shearing away the last of my old life and starting fresh. I bared myself to the world and dared it to come and get some, cause this girl was ready.

But I also felt that I had cut away my softest, most classic of beauty points and had modernized myself to the fullest extent, whether I wanted to or not. I no longer looked right in my old clothes; I had to stop wearing my western shirts and my black felt hat just looked silly. I looked as though I were a city girl playing at being country, rather than the other way around.

But, I needed to form a tougher personal in order to preserve what was left of my sanity, and cutting my hair off helped me get there. And hacking it off every month gave me a tiny edge of control over something.

Now, I feel that I am stronger, yet I am through those awful years of anxiety and despair (read: grad school and LDR marriage), so I can allow myself to "flourish" again.

This is everything that was in my crazy head, and my zany reasoning, rather than "for the hell of it."

Horrorpops
July 16th, 2015, 10:49 PM
I think a lot of things contribute to how I feel about myself but my hair isn't one of them :) I agree with PPs that I was happy with myself when I rock my bald head, and I am happy with myself now.

Although, I definitely prefer the versatility and femininity of my longer hair. :p

flickm
July 17th, 2015, 12:07 AM
It isn't a self esteem issue for me, but just that I don't look or feel right with short hair. A couple of times in my life, I've had my hair cut short and just can't relate to how I look in the mirror, or how it feels. To me its the same as if I changed my eye colour or the shape of my face.

rosey4exclaim
July 17th, 2015, 01:02 AM
I don't think my mood is connected to my hair length. When it was long, I thought I was less attractive because it wasn't as stylish (even though DBF liked it longer), and then I chopped it off and I felt better for a while because it was more stylish. Now, I feel bad because it isn't "pretty and long." That said, I do remember crying the first time any great length was cut off as a child, and I was quite grumpy for a while afterward.

pailin
July 17th, 2015, 01:31 AM
I think a big part of the issue (to me at least) is whether it was what I wanted. I've been very happy in the past with short haircuts because I had made up mind first, was ready to cut, and did it. If I were cutting because I felt forced to do so- ie because of damage (or my mother, when I was a child)- it would make me very unhappy. Short or long, the length needs to be what I want.

YvetteVarie
July 17th, 2015, 02:44 AM
When I last did a big chop (from shoulder to a buzz), I felt unattractive with short hair. And I immediately got braids done so I could temporarily have my length back.

Now when I chopped off most of my relaxer last year, I didn't feel much of a difference. My hair was still relatively long for where I am (shoulder length is long here), and I could still put my hair up when it annoyed me.

Neelie
July 17th, 2015, 04:38 AM
I'm in an extreme low atm, having gone from lower back length and a kristen stewart type of hair, to literally 2cm of a sheep sheer kind of cut when it was done 3 months ago... a mix of bad decision on my side, and a hairdresser that totally messed it up even though she had been given a picture to go by that clearly showed about 8" of feather layered hair... anyways, needless to say i was devastated and not even fit to argue with them. i paid, ran out and vanished in my car to cry... I only fully realized the impact when i saw my boyfriend's face.... he said it suits me but wow, it set off a nuclear bomb in our relationship... i already look very boy-ish from my face and build, so the short hair i had actually made me look like a boy. I lost my whole sexuality... i dont feel in any way feminine or attractive anymore... and its something that your reminded of every day when you look in the mirror... after a few weeks of crying and being very low, i decided to pull it together and just think of it as a competition and an experiment to see how fast i can regrow my hair....its the only way i can even begin to stop feeling so low about myself.... (i actually felt ashamed and stayed at home for a while!)
im still not right after it, and i can feel it in my relationship the most... T_T

Horrorpops
July 17th, 2015, 05:26 AM
Neelie, that sounds really intense. I hope you can rediscover your sexuality and femininity - I am sure you look beautiful with any length hair. I really hope your boyfriend isn't making you feel worse about this, you should both celebrate your looks and who you are with any haircut. :) I'm sending you good vibes girlfriend xx

ETA: when I had my bald head I made such I felt just as good about myself as with long hair. At the time my boyfriend didn't love my hair that short, he never complained about it, but he wasn't super into it either. In fact I always thought he'd prefer long hair. Well, as you can imagine... 5 years later... my hair is nearly waist. Does he like it? Sure, he doesn't mind it either. He actually mentioned how sexy my short hair was, the short hair I always suspected he didn't particularly like. My conclusion, men are weird, and they often don't know what they want haha! :)

LeMimi13
July 17th, 2015, 06:20 AM
I felt the best with classic... it looked amazing on me. Although I think a bpb would e great too, Ive loved all thr faux bobs Ive done.

Nesoi
July 17th, 2015, 06:31 AM
I loved having a shaved head. I'd had hair ranging from chin to BSL for most of my life, then grew out to waist+ and kept it there for a good couple of years. I wanted to cut it right after my wedding (apparently this is really common?) but waited until I'd been MOH for a friend a year later first. So it was really freeing to just get it all off when I'd been fantasising about it for a year!

I loved my buzzcut and my pixie. I did NOT love everything between pixie and shoulder. But I think because I had already had long hair for a while, and knew it would grow back, I didn't feel upset or threatened by the short hair. I had a few horrified faces from relatives, but my DH liked it and that's all that mattered :) He is happy I'm growing it out again though and he especially liked when it got long enough for a swingy ponytail or pigtails. These are his favourite styles so I wear them to please him sometimes...but not that often because I don't want to wear elastics!

I am looking forward to seeing how I feel when I reach waist again, and if this time I want to grow longer. This would be a first for me...I feel like I've got a really good experience of all the waist-and-shorter lengths. I'd be interested to see how I feel with hip, TBL, maybe even classic...? But what I do really enjoy is being part of the community here.

Ephemia
July 17th, 2015, 06:46 AM
Absolutely yes. Well, not so much that having long hair means I'm happy, because I've got so many issues in my life, but I feel I can only be happy with very long hair. I would actually rather die than lose it. On other people I consider hair to be very long when it's tailbone length at least, but on me I could now never see my hair as very long if it was anything above knee. I just can't contemplate having a length that isn't extraordinary. I'm not ordinary (I have Asperger's) and I think it helps me to feel better about myself if I don't look it. I often get compared to creatures such as nymphs, elves and mermaids because of my hair and my general appearance and manner, and I love that.

flickm
July 17th, 2015, 07:00 AM
I'm in an extreme low atm, having gone from lower back length and a kristen stewart type of hair, to literally 2cm of a sheep sheer kind of cut when it was done 3 months ago... a mix of bad decision on my side, and a hairdresser that totally messed it up even though she had been given a picture to go by that clearly showed about 8" of feather layered hair... anyways, needless to say i was devastated and not even fit to argue with them. i paid, ran out and vanished in my car to cry... I only fully realized the impact when i saw my boyfriend's face.... he said it suits me but wow, it set off a nuclear bomb in our relationship... i already look very boy-ish from my face and build, so the short hair i had actually made me look like a boy. I lost my whole sexuality... i dont feel in any way feminine or attractive anymore... and its something that your reminded of every day when you look in the mirror... after a few weeks of crying and being very low, i decided to pull it together and just think of it as a competition and an experiment to see how fast i can regrow my hair....its the only way i can even begin to stop feeling so low about myself.... (i actually felt ashamed and stayed at home for a while!)
im still not right after it, and i can feel it in my relationship the most... T_T

Oh, Neelie that's awful. I'm so sorry. Hang on in there, it will grow and you will look back on this as just a bad dream. Hugs.

Neelie
July 17th, 2015, 08:03 AM
Neelie, that sounds really intense. I hope you can rediscover your sexuality and femininity - I am sure you look beautiful with any length hair. I really hope your boyfriend isn't making you feel worse about this, you should both celebrate your looks and who you are with any haircut. :) I'm sending you good vibes girlfriend xx

yeah oddly enough it hit me very hard. didnt think it would so much, but i've never gone from super long to super short and obviously underestimated the impact lol. oh my boyfriend is wonderful. he says im actually very lucky because i can wear it, but his first reaction is something that he cant undo lol. he looked so shocked.... what i miss most is the feeling of wet hair on my back... something so simple, but such a strong feeling lol. even now i still do the automatic flick with the fingers after i put a jumper/top on!! its terrible LOL. thank you so much for the kind words :) im really happy i joined!

Neelie
July 17th, 2015, 08:04 AM
Oh, Neelie that's awful. I'm so sorry. Hang on in there, it will grow and you will look back on this as just a bad dream. Hugs.

thank you so much :) your very sweet! thank you x

renia22
July 17th, 2015, 08:30 AM
yeah oddly enough it hit me very hard. didnt think it would so much, but i've never gone from super long to super short and obviously underestimated the impact lol. oh my boyfriend is wonderful. he says im actually very lucky because i can wear it, but his first reaction is something that he cant undo lol. he looked so shocked.... what i miss most is the feeling of wet hair on my back... something so simple, but such a strong feeling lol. even now i still do the automatic flick with the fingers after i put a jumper/top on!! its terrible LOL. thank you so much for the kind words :) im really happy i joined!

When we were in college a friend of mine went from her long, natural colored ash blonde hair to a short platinum pixie. She showed up at my house and surprised me. I think my face had a look of shock for a few minutes, I couldn't believe it! It did look really good on her, though, it's just weird sometimes when someone you know does a complete 180 and you're not expecting it. I'll bet your cut looks good on you too!

Neelie
July 17th, 2015, 08:34 AM
When we were in college a friend of mine went from her long, natural colored ash blonde hair to a short platinum pixie. She showed up at my house and surprised me. I think my face had a look of shock for a few minutes, I couldn't believe it! It did look really good on her, though, it's just weird sometimes when someone you know does a complete 180 and you're not expecting it. I'll bet your cut looks good on you too!

oh yes yes, i think another person's reaction when its unexpected is the most HONEST one you can get..
just like when you give someone a gift that may not be ideal lol. the reactions in that first split d=second are the most important ones haha

LongCurlyTress
July 17th, 2015, 09:24 AM
Hi Neelie!
My heart goes out to you since I cut my hair into a chin length curly 3b bob back in March, 2011 so I could get rid of the dyed brassy color that had pretty much grown out to chinlength. Please do not worry! Your hair will grow! So your hair is in a pixie now? I bet it is really super healthy so it will grow!! Just eat alot of protein, drink water, exercise-- get your blood flowing to your scalp and it will be long again before you know it. Try to distract yourself also and stay busy. Wear hats, lots of makeup, earrings, anything to dress up and make you feel more feminine! You are not alone! Once my hair was in a nape length ponytail with bobby pins on each side holding up the shorter ends, I bought a Jessica Simpson hair ponytail and also a Salsaloosa wiglet that fits over the ponytail. I don't know if the color matched exactly, and tbh, I didn't care! I was desperate for my long hair to be back again and I did get some relief from feeling like my hair was longer. Just be careful to use some small claw clips to hold it on so it doesn't fall off the short ponytail!! Anyways, your hair will grow and in 6 months will be 3 inches longer, on average. Hug your boyfriend and don't worry about your hair. Pretend you are some sexy french woman since you have a new look! Guys love this! French accent and all! Go for it! :) The time will pass and your hair will be long again! :blossom: You can check out my albums to see pics of my hair growing journey. Need to friend me first as I have my albums marked for contacts and mods only, but please feel free to check out my progress pics! I am proud of my not picking up those scissors and trimming off just that half an inch etc. like so many others do thinking that if I just trim a bit, it will grow. NOPE!! Hide those scissors now!! ;) Hugs!! ;)

ETA Just noticed you are new with only 10 posts so you won't be able to friend me or see my pics. Well, just keep posting. I think the rules state you need 100 posts and 60 days of membership on lhc to friend people and see their albums when marked private. Well, please keep on posting on lhc! ;)

AmethystLily
July 17th, 2015, 09:52 AM
Not my overall feelings about myself per se. However, I'm in a bit of a funk because I seem to be plateauing at SL. I have had times where I'd brushed APL, but the splits and breakage were driving me nuts (I have delicate type 4 hair). Had to trim. I'm more frustrated that I can't yet do the awesome styles I see on here. Oh, well. I guess I'll just have to stick to sock buns and crown twists for a while longer....

calmyogi
July 17th, 2015, 10:01 AM
I feel prettier with long hair, but sometimes I wonder if it's because I think long hair is pretty or because there is some kind of spiritual reason why.

*ReiKa*
July 17th, 2015, 10:05 AM
I'd feel much less attractive and beautiful if anyone was to cut my hair now to anything shorter than WL.
Long hair gives me great confidence, I've said this a million times on other threads.
Also, I don't wear my hair up that much because I don't feel beautiful without my hair around my face. When I have a nice hair day, with my hair clean, blow-dried and worn down I feel the best, confident, beautiful and ready to face the world. I also tend to put on more makeup when I wear my hair up, to somewhat "compensate".

Aderyn
July 17th, 2015, 10:09 AM
I definitely feel great about myself when I have a decent amount of hair (at least shoulder length), and long hair is the best for my self confidence - just makes me feel so feminine and wonderful. :laugh:

When I first started wearing my hair up I was pretty self conscious about my face and whatnot, but that quickly passed as I realized that no one cared. I can't even imagine how I would feel if I were to lose all my hair or have it all cut off for whatever reason.. I'd probably start donning a wig.

That being said, I'm not too picky about having a specific length in order to be happy. If I have chin length hair, cool. Shoulder length, cool. BSL, cool. TBL, cool. I would like longer hair, but as long I have at least some face-framing bits and/or long hair, I'm good to go. :)

Arctic
July 17th, 2015, 10:13 AM
I like myself a lot with pixies and bobs. And when hair is put up. So no, I don't really share these feelings related to longer lenghts.

flickm
July 17th, 2015, 10:17 AM
oh my boyfriend is wonderful. he says im actually very lucky because i can wear it, but his first reaction is something that he cant undo lol. he looked so shocked.... !

My bloke hates my henna. My hair is greying blonde, and i was fedup with trying to blend in the grey. but he says it's false and artificial. i think the fact he's a natural redhead now going grey-blond may have something to do with it. He's totally tactless so no way was going to hide his reaction. Both our men will get used to it.

akuamoonmaui
July 17th, 2015, 05:24 PM
I know my hair length is/was tied to my feelings. Anytime I was stressed or anxious - out came the scissors which only resulted in more stress and anxiety... Or, just to keep it interesting I'd throw in chemicals such as straightener, or color. :justy:

I was with my ex-husband for 18 years :brickwall: and only after getting him out of my life was I able to successfully grow my hair. Seven years later my hair is healthy and to the top of my tailbone. :joy: I'm thinking there's a definite connection.

I think ('cause I've thought about this on a few occasions) that as my hair grew which was working toward a 'positive' in my life, it helped keep me in the mind-set to stay on course for other positive changes. It was a cause and effect, if you will.

So. Moral of the story: Grow your hair and be happy. :happydance:

yahirwaO.o
July 17th, 2015, 05:36 PM
In my case its not necesarily about the lenght, it has to be with the condition. If my hair gets or looks stringy, I can feel very down and sad with a total lack of confidence.

My hair was almost classic lenght but my from mid back all the way down was just a scraggly horrible ratty mess. Chopping and going to APL but with a neat and fuller hem made me feel a lot better and happier. My hair has bounce now... bounce I say! I much prefer on myself to have shorter and full hair rather than long and sad hair.

Im now trying to get some lenght but with a nice quality versus long just because its long.

meteor
July 17th, 2015, 05:59 PM
Well, the only negative "feeling" I had about having really short hair was this constant checking of whether or not it's time for me to get a trim. I didn't like having to think about it so often. It's very similar to being aware of roots and checking periodically for root touch-ups... it can get a bit annoying. :lol:

With long and natural hair, it feels just right, liberating and frees up a lot of time. ;)

Kherome
July 17th, 2015, 07:41 PM
Hair is just hair. I don't judge me, or anyone, by something like hair length.

Deborah
July 17th, 2015, 10:51 PM
The Bible says that a woman's long hair is her glory, so maybe it is just natural for women to feel better about ourselves with long hair. I don't notice that I feel better when it is a particular length, and I have no desire for extreme lengths, but I have always had, and will always have long hair.

Neelie
July 18th, 2015, 03:40 AM
Hi Neelie!
My heart goes out to you since I cut my hair into a chin length curly 3b bob back in March, 2011 so I could get rid of the dyed brassy color that had pretty much grown out to chinlength. Please do not worry! Your hair will grow! So your hair is in a pixie now? I bet it is really super healthy so it will grow!! Just eat alot of protein, drink water, exercise-- get your blood flowing to your scalp and it will be long again before you know it. Try to distract yourself also and stay busy. Wear hats, lots of makeup, earrings, anything to dress up and make you feel more feminine! You are not alone! Once my hair was in a nape length ponytail with bobby pins on each side holding up the shorter ends, I bought a Jessica Simpson hair ponytail and also a Salsaloosa wiglet that fits over the ponytail. I don't know if the color matched exactly, and tbh, I didn't care! I was desperate for my long hair to be back again and I did get some relief from feeling like my hair was longer. Just be careful to use some small claw clips to hold it on so it doesn't fall off the short ponytail!! Anyways, your hair will grow and in 6 months will be 3 inches longer, on average. Hug your boyfriend and don't worry about your hair. Pretend you are some sexy french woman since you have a new look! Guys love this! French accent and all! Go for it! :) The time will pass and your hair will be long again! :blossom: You can check out my albums to see pics of my hair growing journey. Need to friend me first as I have my albums marked for contacts and mods only, but please feel free to check out my progress pics! I am proud of my not picking up those scissors and trimming off just that half an inch etc. like so many others do thinking that if I just trim a bit, it will grow. NOPE!! Hide those scissors now!! ;) Hugs!! ;)

ETA Just noticed you are new with only 10 posts so you won't be able to friend me or see my pics. Well, just keep posting. I think the rules state you need 100 posts and 60 days of membership on lhc to friend people and see their albums when marked private. Well, please keep on posting on lhc! ;)

Thank you so much for the kind words! :) I feel so welcomed here!
Yes I plan to let it grow and then try clip ins/on's etc to lift my spirit and keep me positive! Atm my hair is about 3" long and yes, healthy but oh so short! I feel very awkward.... Guess what, we have a festival queen competition coming up and I was asked to join in, but I don't feel like I can :( im so sad.
Yes i'd love to see your pics! :) Is that you in your sig? your hair is amazing!
I admire your patience and so so hope I can reach that length too again! :)

Bunnehlvr22
July 18th, 2015, 12:18 PM
It is for me. When I first cut my hair it was because I felt ugly (my hair was at tailbone length but badly damaged. I did not take care of my hair because i resented my parents made me grow it out until I was 16. (Yes I am independent and headstrong)). I thought getting the latest haircut (according to the people I was around) would make me feel better about myself. From then on I just kept cutting. I finally learned I love my hair and have accepted myself. I'm in the worse shape I've ever been but cutting it won't be the miracle cure and I'm learning to naturally take care of it, and myself in the process.

Wow, I rambled there a bit. I guess to put it short, yes, my hair is tied to my feelings. How I wear it or if I want to cut it is a signal of the condition of my inner self.

Loveisaverb
July 18th, 2015, 02:18 PM
I can definitely understand, when I cut my hair I felt I kinda lost something apart of me. But it made me also a lot more humble towards my hair and how at the end of the day hair is just hair. It was either that or be a regretful crying mess about it. ;)

HintOfMint
July 18th, 2015, 11:16 PM
After my first stint with long hair as an adult, which coincided with my first experience in being considered conventionally attractive, having to cut my hair back to shoulder due to damage was rather... agitating.

I suddenly felt very ugly. I caught a glimpse of myself in a mirror in a restaurant and immediately felt like crying, I was in such a funk. To me, the threshold for being pretty was having long hair. I was very baby-faced and I felt that I didn't have the bone structure or hair texture to pull off short hair.

This was years ago, however, and since then I have grown more than enough healthy, undamaged hair. In terms of vanity/feelings/self-esteem, there isn't a hell of a lot of difference between waist and tailbone, so I don't get too tangled up in my underwear over length. However, a lack of layers or badly cut layers? Bangs that don't lay right? That's just straight misery.

bte
July 19th, 2015, 12:09 AM
I have always hated trims or cuts, so all through my life, I felt angry and out of sorts when I had to undergo either. That's why I decided my trim in 1994 would be my last! Since shortly after then, my hair has always been the longest it has ever been, so I feel happy just about all the time.

LongCurlyTress
July 20th, 2015, 08:41 AM
Thank you so much for the kind words! :) I feel so welcomed here!
Yes I plan to let it grow and then try clip ins/on's etc to lift my spirit and keep me positive! Atm my hair is about 3" long and yes, healthy but oh so short! I feel very awkward.... Guess what, we have a festival queen competition coming up and I was asked to join in, but I don't feel like I can :( im so sad.
Yes i'd love to see your pics! :) Is that you in your sig? your hair is amazing!
I admire your patience and so so hope I can reach that length too again! :)

AWWW!! If you want to be a part of the festival queen competition, I would do it! Maybe buy a diamond/rhinestone tiarra to make you feel pretty, use some Garnier surf paste? to spike up your hair and give it some energy and go enjoy yourself!! Your hair will grow, but it will take awhile, so you need to have fun in the meantime. I bet you are lovely wiith your pixie! Just go have some fun and don't worry!! Thank you so much for your sweet comment about my hair. Yours will get long again. On LHC there is a common helpful saying among those who have achieved very long lenghts, and that is benign neglect. Meaning, ignore your hair, enjoy your life, friends and hobbies and before you know it, the time will pass and your hair will be long again!! I really hope you attend the festival queen competition and go all out for it! :magic:

hannabiss
July 20th, 2015, 08:57 AM
Not for me. I think I was most beautiful bald. I like short hair styles on myself personally. I also like long hair.
I feel pretty for different reasons with long or short. LIKE WISE I feel ugly some days no matter my hair length. I have felt ugly when i was growing out my hair. Not because it was short but because it wasn't cut into a style. I have felt ugly with long hair as my hair can look very limp thin and greasy.

lfbddjw
July 21st, 2015, 10:27 AM
This thread reminds me of the Japanese Heian Period, where a woman's beauty was judged based on how long her hair was, hehe.

I'd heard about how when a woman cuts her long hair short, it usually signifies a huge change in her, and I didn't believe it first. Then about three years ago, I went from tailbone length to short bob. 21 inches chopped off and donated, as per my parent's commands. Wasn't happy at all. Coincidentally, this was also around the same time that I transferred back to my old school, which I HATED. By the time my hair grew back out to around waist length, I had graduated and felt more like my ordinary self.

RUNAWAYCHIC006
July 21st, 2015, 10:48 AM
I believe that hair can help us sense the things around us. Below is an interesting article I read regarding Native Americas and why they wear their hair long. Some of the most skilled trackers were American Indians and recruited for the Vietnam War. When their hair was cut into a typical military style, they could no longer perform. "They could no longer 'sense' the enemy, they could no longer access a 'sixth sense', their 'intuition' no longer was reliable, they couldn't 'read' subtle signs as well or access subtle extrasensory information". It is said that our hair is an extension of the nervous system and that our hair acts as "feelers".
http://www.sott.net/article/234783-The-Truth-About-Hair-and-Why-Indians-Would-Keep-Their-Hair-Long .

lfbddjw
July 22nd, 2015, 08:01 AM
Wow, that's a really interesting article! Personally, I don't believe in my hair giving me any extrasensory powers, but if there are people who do think that way, more power to them. That's so sad, however, that some of the Native Americans were forced to have their hair cut.....

LaraAntipova
August 26th, 2015, 07:25 AM
Mine definitely is. After my hair was mistakenly cut too short and damaged by a hairdresser, my self esteem plummeted and I have been in a mild depression ever since. I have wondered if it is a kind of body dysmorphia focused on hair...but then again, perhaps I just know what I like and how I feel best about myself and it's as simple as that. I think the biggest issue facing people who like simple long, natural colour hair is that it has nothing to do with trends. I fear hairdressers because they often try to impose a trend onto my hair (long layers, short layers, long at front, long at back - whatever) and something 'different'. To me natural long hair is who I really am. I think that's the best way to explain it.

But it is an awful price to pay for having such a connection to my hair and lengths. I have literally marked three months in my diary from today, when my hair should be grown out enough to get me out of the depression phase...and it feels like it is a million years away. At least the dark, crying phase is over, but I am still sad.
Trying to make the days and months pass quickly with yoga, reading, studies...

:-(

Hurven
August 26th, 2015, 08:03 AM
I don't think I'm more happy with longer hair. I do feel more feminine the longer my hair gets, but I don't feel more attractive and happy. I felt equally attractive and happy when I had short hair, so I wouldn't say there's a connection for me.

missrandie
August 26th, 2015, 09:06 AM
I did realize yesterday that I like my looks a lot better when I put my hair up. It looks more like me. With my short mop down, I look like I could be anybody else, if that makes any sense. And seeing myself with my hair up reaffirmed that I want to continue growing my bangs out.

PalomaSincera
August 26th, 2015, 09:27 AM
This is certainly the case for me. I don't feel like myself with the length I'm at right now (which i haven't been at this length since i was 7). It gets deeper than that but I'll just leave it there. :agree::grin:

turtlelover
August 26th, 2015, 09:57 AM
I feel more like my true self with longer hair, but can't say I feel unhappy with short hair unless it is an awful cut.

Arciela
August 26th, 2015, 09:59 AM
My mood is effected by my hair length as well. I feel more like myself as the longer it gets and I am in WAY better moods...haha :flower:

Klaudia
August 26th, 2015, 11:19 AM
I also feel better about myself with longer hair. Others complimented my shorter hair, that it suits me, but I don't feel like it really does... :shrug:

DollyDagger
August 26th, 2015, 11:30 AM
i can safely say id be feeling quite ecstatic :happydance: had i magically woken up today with TBL length hair
but i still feel alright nevertheless..:sun:

HairPlease
August 26th, 2015, 03:29 PM
i can safely say id be feeling quite ecstatic :happydance: had i magically woken up today with TBL length hair
but i still feel alright nevertheless..:sun:

That is where I'm standing these days. :D
As long as I have hair. I wake up every morning with hair, I am thankful. :)

DaniJoy
August 26th, 2015, 04:16 PM
I have not reached my hair goal yet so I do not know how I will feel when I get there. For me, having longer hair does feel more feminine. However, when I had shorter hair (shaved was the shortest) I never felt not attractive. I always seem to have done things with my hair that the majority of people aren't doing (shaved, crazy amount of different colors) and these things have made me feel happy. Now, I want pretty long hair. Well long for me :o about tbl. It has become a practice of patience and self control.

snowbear1005
August 26th, 2015, 04:21 PM
Even when I had shorter hair, it always came down to at least the nape of my neck and sometimes my collarbone. The layers and face framing taper gave it fullness and curl so it always looked feminine. After I started growing out the layers and bangs, it became a big mess and when the shortest layer reached my chin, I had it all cut into a chin length bob. I hated it with the fire of a thousand suns !!! It looked awful (on me), but I knew it was necessary to get some control over it. I clipped the front bang area back or to the side for many months and when I was able to pull it back into a pony, I did that.

My hair has been slightly past my shoulders now for several years and while it's still not where I want to be, it doesn't bother me like that chin length bob did.

Seeshami
August 26th, 2015, 04:51 PM
Nah I am pretty grumpy every day of my life

bed_head
August 26th, 2015, 05:05 PM
I think this is all very dependent on what you want out of your hair. I cut my BSL hair to chin length earlier this year and LOVED IT! It was fun and different and everyone complimented me on the change. I cut it to get rid of damaged length. After a couple maintenance trims, I am now working on letting it grow out- which is something I really had to think about since I enjoy it when it is short, don't like it at shoulder length, and miss it being long.

I am going to be frustrated for the next few months as it grows to a better length, but once it gets to APL, I will be much happier!