PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Hair Thread

curlylocks85
September 5th, 2014, 06:14 PM
I want to start a thread for those who are growing out or already have virgin hair. By this, I mean hair that is not touched in anyway by dyes, heat tools etc... and this includes all hair types. I want a place where we can all come together and share our experiences and support one another. I used to get my hair relaxed and I used a flat iron. For twelve years I did this and wondered why I could not grow past APL-BSL. My hair was very damaged and I wanted to have nice healthy hair that would grow. That is when I decided to embrace my hair as it is and not try to make it what I wanted it to be. The more I gave up control, the more I started liking my hair and how soft and healthy it has become. I am very proud of my virgin hair. I am very excited to see what my hair does now that I have embraced it in all its natural glory. I use Pantene and Nexxus conditioners as well as Coconut oil.

I look for forward to reading about your experiences and what you do to keep your virgin hair happy and healthy. :)

Sorry if this is already a thread. I looked for one, but I could not find it anywhere. If there is one, then I hope the moderators merge the two :)

chen bao jun
September 5th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Great idea! I also love having virgin hair. Its so much easier to care for.

Larki
September 5th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Hm, I didn't know virgin also meant never having used heat on your hair, but my color at least is virgin. I've used heat tools maybe a dozen times in the last 4/5 years.

jacqueline101
September 5th, 2014, 06:48 PM
I grew out my bleach highlights and I don't use heat on my hair except if I'm sick. That's very rarely an issue. I didn't blow dry last year so I've been almost a year on the virgin hair journey.

curlylocks85
September 5th, 2014, 06:53 PM
Hm, I didn't know virgin also meant never having used heat on your hair

I meant it that way as well as those growing out dye or heat damage too :) Sorry if I was ambiguous.

trolleypup
September 5th, 2014, 07:03 PM
Virgin by way of benign neglect.

gthlvrmx
September 5th, 2014, 07:03 PM
I have virgin hair! I went bald and I am growing it all out again! :)

Madora
September 5th, 2014, 08:57 PM
I've had virgin hair for more than 35 years.

Tini'sNewHair
September 6th, 2014, 12:50 AM
Madora such an inspiration :)

100% Virgin hair here to :) I wouldnt have it any other way!

sarahthegemini
September 6th, 2014, 02:57 AM
My hair is 100% virgin. It's easy to manage. I just co-wash every other day, use a tiny blob of leave-in and voila.

gnome82
September 6th, 2014, 03:20 AM
I cut my hair short and am growing it out virgin :meditate: I love my natural colour :joy:

Dona
September 6th, 2014, 03:28 AM
I've never dyed my hair in my life, but I do occasionally use a blow dryer. This is maybe once a month, I try to use as little heat as possible on my hair!

fišrildi
September 6th, 2014, 04:16 AM
Half of my hair is virgin now, while the other half is chemically damaged, due to curly perms in the past. I just love the softness and shine of my virgin part, and I can't wait for my hair to grow, so that my whole mane looks like that :)

Do you consider the occasional use of Cassia and Rhubarb (which before fading away, slightly tints the hair in a yellowish colour, for a week or so) as non-virgin hair?

Johannah
September 6th, 2014, 04:56 AM
I want to grow out virgin hair. I still got some bleach damage from some highlights. You can't see them anymore because they disappeared (hurray for low porous hair!) ;) Also I've used heat on my hair.

So I'm in :p

leilani
September 6th, 2014, 05:42 AM
I'm trying to grow out virgin hair, but I only have an inch of it so far! Been highlighting for 24 years..... so done.

Angelica
September 6th, 2014, 06:43 AM
My hair is completely virgin as well. No dyes, straighteners, heat etc.

Hopeful65
September 6th, 2014, 07:18 AM
This month marks 3 years of growing out the bleach and dye for me. I've got my virgin hair grown out to about 26" or 27" with just an inch or two left on the ends in some places. I'm almost to waist, and if I were to cut to BSL it would be all virgin. But I will just continue with my microtrimming routine, with my goal of waist. My ends look good. Barely detectable.
I have not had virgin hair since before about the age of 13. I did not realize there would be such a huge difference in quality. It is so much easier to take care of. For me, I feel like this is the best thing I've ever done for my hair.
It's kind of funny because throughout the years I have always done things to alter my hair in an effort to be pretty. Now I am doing literally nothing and getting compliments.

lapushka
September 6th, 2014, 07:22 AM
I have virgin hair, IMO. I do use a diffuser weekly for 5 to 6 minutes after airdrying for 1 h to an hour and a half, but I don't consider that a heat tool since it's only used on cool/warm. If you can hold your hand in the airstream without your hand burning, then it's okay to use on the hair. My hair is almost TBL (within less than an inch), and I have no white dots nor split ends!

woodswanderer
September 6th, 2014, 07:52 AM
My hair has been virgin for at least 10 years. It's been at least that long since I even used a hair dryer. No dyes, heat, or chemicals. However, I'm getting a bit of gray coming in, and I might go to henna sometime in the future, so at that point I guess I'd be out of the club. Until then I guess I can hang out. :cool:

Madora
September 6th, 2014, 07:59 AM
Madora such an inspiration :)

100% Virgin hair here to :) I wouldnt have it any other way!
You're very kind, Tini'sNewHair! Your virgin hair looks lovely in the sunlight..good and thick, too!

LauraLongLocks
September 6th, 2014, 08:08 AM
My hair used to be virgin until I started using henna this year. I look at henna as a strengthening treatment more than as a dye. The red dye is just a side effect that hopefully one learns to love or manage. I decided to do it in such a way that I don't have to be a slave to henna touch-ups. So, I probably don't belong here, but I do love my natural color, and don't use heat on my hair. Well, I used a curling iron once in the last year, and used a blow dryer on cool/warm all last winter to dry my hair so it wouldn't freeze and break when I went outside.

curlylocks85
September 6th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Do you consider the occasional use of Cassia and Rhubarb (which before fading away, slightly tints the hair in a yellowish colour, for a week or so) as non-virgin hair?

Yes I do. I just meant harsh chemicals and highly damaging processes that beat hair into submission.

Nadine <3
September 6th, 2014, 09:05 AM
My hair is all virgin, although I used to blow dry my bang on cool, that doesn't count, does it?? I've never dyed my hair before, mostly out of sheer laziness.

curlylocks85
September 6th, 2014, 09:07 AM
However, I'm getting a bit of gray coming in, and I might go to henna sometime in the future, so at that point I guess I'd be out of the club. Until then I guess I can hang out. :cool:oin

Oh no worries you can join. I created this thread when I was tired and maybe wrote it in a way that people may feel excluded. I have no problems with Cassia, Henna and the like. I just meant more harsh chemicals and processes's that will lead a person to a big chop. I hope that makes sense. :shrug:

ChrissieM
September 6th, 2014, 09:10 AM
I'm growing out virgin hair. It's been about 3.25 years since my last henna gloss. I still have a bit of redder tone in the last 8 inches or so of my hair, but it isn't all that noticeable. My natural color is coppery blonette, if that is a color. With a few whites starting to sneak in here and there.

My profile pic is with fully henna glossed hair, I need to post new pics of my current hair.

curlylocks85
September 6th, 2014, 09:11 AM
My hair is all virgin, although I used to blow dry my bang on cool, that doesn't count, does it??

No it does not. :)

curlylocks85
September 6th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Sorry double post. :doh:

halfbroke
September 6th, 2014, 09:57 AM
I have virgin hair as of a month ago, when i cut off eight inches of hair. Now i am at bsl. Before that i used to dye my hair and blow dry it.

vicvic
September 6th, 2014, 10:05 AM
I tried so hard to have virgin hair when I started growing it out...but alas, I succumbed to the heat tools a few too many times to not count. I love a good blowout. Especially on freshly hennaed hair. The volume!

Never dyed though! :D

skeletonous
September 6th, 2014, 10:13 AM
I am proud to say I have virgin hair :) I never use heat tools (though I have in the past for special occasions) and I have only bleached my hair once. I bleached the tips in high school to a golden color, then eventually got that trimmed off because I didn't like that it wasn't as soft as the rest of my hair and that it made my ends split easier.

Lindenare
September 6th, 2014, 10:44 AM
I have virgin hair. Never bleached, dyed, or straightened it. I occasionally use a blow-dryer on cool, but I don't feel that counts.

queenovnight
September 6th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Ooh. Interesting thread! I occasionally use heat, but by a cosmetologist's definition, it's considered virgin hair. - Believe it or not, if you use demi-permanent dye, your hair is still considered virgin as well. I thought that was fascinating, and something that most people don't know!

Anywho, I grew out dye/bleach and now here I am, happily floating about with my natural hair.

Gertrude
September 6th, 2014, 12:31 PM
I have virgin hair, never been dyed as very allergic and can't hold a hair dryer for any length of time with my wrists. So it's all benign neglect, but it is my natural virgin hair. And I have just hit 27 inches (-:

I don't normally measure, but have been sewing today so had the tape measure and it feels longer.

curlylocks85
September 6th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Ooh. Interesting thread! I occasionally use heat, but by a cosmetologist's definition, it's considered virgin hair. - Believe it or not, if you use demi-permanent dye, your hair is still considered virgin as well. I thought that was fascinating, and something that most people don't know!

Good to know. I think there is going to be a lot of helpful information on this thread. :)

Akville
September 6th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Madora, what happened after 35 years?

Madora
September 6th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Madora, what happened after 35 years?

The 35 years refers to years ago. What happened was that in 1977 I went to Europe for 5 months, so had to cut my hair because it took forever to wash and I certainly didn't want to be a nuisance in the various pension rooming houses I was visiting.

My hair was cut again in early 2001-2002 because of pain in my shoulder. After several months the pain vanished and I started growing my hair out from a shoulder length cut. Originally, I was not aiming for knee as my final destination. I just wanted to enjoy the 47 inches I had been able to achieve before. But I loved having really long hair, so just kept going.

molljo
September 6th, 2014, 02:15 PM
I'll join! I've dyed my hair several times over the years, but all the hair I currently have is virgin. I think I've used a dryer a handful of times in the past year, but it's always on cool/warm. I like my natural color and texture a lot, so virgin isn't exactly a huge burden for me.

FrozenBritannia
September 6th, 2014, 03:23 PM
My hair is entirely virgin! I mostly wear it in braids or buns, and wash it every other day.

burny
September 6th, 2014, 03:31 PM
For the longest time, when I heard "virgin hair is worth more $ for wigs".. I thought it was just because people were perverts.

fišrildi
September 6th, 2014, 04:01 PM
For the longest time, when I heard "virgin hair is worth more $ for wigs".. I thought it was just because people were perverts.

This is hilarious, haha. You must have felt so confused! ;)

gthlvrmx
September 6th, 2014, 04:08 PM

Hahahaha XD

Tini'sNewHair
September 6th, 2014, 08:49 PM
Thank you :) :blossom:

You're very kind, Tini'sNewHair! Your virgin hair looks lovely in the sunlight..good and thick, too!

Sparklylady82
September 7th, 2014, 12:29 AM
Great thread! I gave up chemicals, dyes and heat styling 5 months ago!

mouse2cat
September 7th, 2014, 08:37 AM
I have never had any success with heat styling. Hair is thick so any heat styling takes an annoying amount of time. I don't like the flat color of hair dye or the 2 tone look of growing out hair dye plus I am naturally blonde and I like the color. So other than a handful of attempts as a teenager I have had virgin hair my entire life. I don't own a hair dryer or a flat iron.

This complete lack of experimentation has left me woefully ignorant of all hair products in general. Now that I am at waist I feel like I need to change up my routine to something a bit more gentle I am also dealing with hair that is transitioning from straight to wavy as I get older. I don't know how to deal with the wavy and I don't want to resort to a flat iron or feel like I can ONLY wear it braided/bunned. Mind you I love buns and braids but it is nice to surprise people sometimes with hair that is down although in my case that translates to instantly tangled.

FrozenBritannia
September 7th, 2014, 09:02 AM
I have never had any success with heat styling. Hair is thick so any heat styling takes an annoying amount of time. I don't like the flat color of hair dye or the 2 tone look of growing out hair dye plus I am naturally blonde and I like the color. So other than a handful of attempts as a teenager I have had virgin hair my entire life. I don't own a hair dryer or a flat iron.

This complete lack of experimentation has left me woefully ignorant of all hair products in general. Now that I am at waist I feel like I need to change up my routine to something a bit more gentle I am also dealing with hair that is transitioning from straight to wavy as I get older. I don't know how to deal with the wavy and I don't want to resort to a flat iron or feel like I can ONLY wear it braided/bunned. Mind you I love buns and braids but it is nice to surprise people sometimes with hair that is down although in my case that translates to instantly tangled.

My hair does that too, I've found that I can wear it down the first day (wash day) but the second day needs a braid, and the third day needs a bun. YMMV, of course. :)

LauraLongLocks
September 7th, 2014, 09:59 AM
So, henna is okay? Then I guess I'm still considered virgin enough to be in this thread.

TrapperCreekD
September 7th, 2014, 11:15 AM
*pokes head in* My hair was virgin until May of this year, when I lighted the bottom 6 or 7 inches. The rest of it, probably 75%, is virgin. I'm proud to say that my mane has never been touched by a straightener or curling iron. :D

curlylocks85
September 7th, 2014, 11:24 AM
So, henna is okay? Then I guess I'm still considered virgin enough to be in this thread.

Of course it is. :)

blue_eyes
September 7th, 2014, 11:36 AM
I've got nearly 7 inches of virgin roots. I stopped dyeing my hair just over a year ago because of really bad dye-damage and breakage. I've got a love/hate relationship with my virgin hair. It is so thin & straight, and while it's so soft/silky it has zero volume and looks so flat. I stopped using products like mousse and hairspray, I also stopped using any heat tools.

I'm also not a fan of my natural color, so I don't know if I'll stay virgin forever once I've gotten rid of the current dye/damage. I'd love to color again but use better care practices to keep it as healthy as possible.

LongHairLesbian
September 7th, 2014, 11:58 AM
I think I've got mostly virgin hair? It's completely undyed, I haven't used a curler or straightener in 9 years. But I was using a blow-drier on high heat up until 10 months ago. So maybe I'll have virgin hair in a few years?

jacqueline101
September 7th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Can I use hair spray? Does that break the virgin thread? What about hair tensile? I'm thinking about getting one put in with an o ring.

Rushli
September 7th, 2014, 05:56 PM
Most people will think I am crazy but is there anyone here who can relate...? Sometimes I am bummed that my hair is so healthy. It is pretty pointless to do SMTs and other things because it just does not need it. I biweekly oil my scalp and spread the love down my hair, but everything else just seems to overwhelm my hair. That does not stop me from experiementing and then needing to wash it again. (Tried a clay mask last night, and might have found something fun to do that benefits my hair. At least it is letting me experiment and not a 100% flop right away.)

I don't want to sound ungrateful, I love that at barely waist I could probably wear my hair down all the time and suffer no ill consequences (besides what 2 eight month old hands would do to it) and that I don't feel the need to s&d while doing a no trim challenge. I just wish my hair like pampering.

curlylocks85
September 7th, 2014, 06:09 PM
Can I use hair spray? Does that break the virgin thread? What about hair tensile? I'm thinking about getting one put in with an o ring.

The only things that do are the box dyes, professional dyes and highlights, as well as perms, relaxers flat irons, curling irons, and blow-dryers done on a regular basis. It does not matter if it is done on occasion for a change, special event, etc... This is for people who used to do this all the time, people who do it sometimes or rarely and, of course, those who have never done it. It does not mean that you cannot venture out from time to time, it just means this thread is for those who stick mostly to being as close to virgin hair as possible. :)

foreverKristin
September 7th, 2014, 06:09 PM
I'm growing my hair out to be virgin! It has at least 7 inches of virgin growth. The rest has been battered by a blowfryer, and there's an old bleached streak which is clinging to pink dye from 2013. It'll take a really long time for me to get completely virgin hair, but I'm really looking forward to how healthy it will be!

FrozenBritannia
September 7th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Most people will think I am crazy but is there anyone here who can relate...? Sometimes I am bummed that my hair is so healthy. It is pretty pointless to do SMTs and other things because it just does not need it. I biweekly oil my scalp and spread the love down my hair, but everything else just seems to overwhelm my hair. That does not stop me from experiementing and then needing to wash it again. (Tried a clay mask last night, and might have found something fun to do that benefits my hair. At least it is letting me experiment and not a 100% flop right away.)

I don't want to sound ungrateful, I love that at barely waist I could probably wear my hair down all the time and suffer no ill consequences (besides what 2 eight month old hands would do to it) and that I don't feel the need to s&d while doing a no trim challenge. I just wish my hair like pampering.

My hair didn't need any S&D until past waist, and only very rarely did it want anything more than an occasional oiling. I do a vinegar or lemon juice rinse once in a while because I have hard water, but that is pretty much it. That being said, my hair loves to tangle into great snarls- this is mostly because of all the different lengths (I have layers, and also a bunch of new hairs that are between 3 and 9 inches long, which are quite curly especially in the nape area) I think. My friend with waist length hair doesn't trim, S&D, or get tangles. She never wears her hair up, and it's in great shape. It's virgin and all one length.

jacqueline101
September 7th, 2014, 08:19 PM
The only things that do are the box dyes, professional dyes and highlights, as well as perms, relaxers flat irons, curling irons, and blow-dryers done on a regular basis. It does not matter if it is done on occasion for a change, special event, etc... This is for people who used to do this all the time, people who do it sometimes or rarely and, of course, those who have never done it. It does not mean that you cannot venture out from time to time, it just means this thread is for those who stick mostly to being as close to virgin hair as possible. :)

Okay thanks.

Estrid
September 7th, 2014, 08:31 PM
My hair has been virgin for many years now, I own a couple of heat tools but I never use them. Maybe I should donate them away. However, my blow dryer got a cool-air option, is that alright to use? I always use to air dry my hair, but if I got in a hurry it would be nice to maybe have it :)

Larki
September 7th, 2014, 09:22 PM
My hair has been virgin for many years now, I own a couple of heat tools but I never use them. Maybe I should donate them away. However, my blow dryer got a cool-air option, is that alright to use? I always use to air dry my hair, but if I got in a hurry it would be nice to maybe have it :)

The general consensus here is that cool and warm settings on a blow dryer won't harm your hair. Basically, if it's pleasant for your skin, it won't harm your hair.

Estrid
September 7th, 2014, 11:31 PM
The general consensus here is that cool and warm settings on a blow dryer won't harm your hair. Basically, if it's pleasant for your skin, it won't harm your hair.

Ah I see, guess I'll keep my hair dryer then :)

YvetteVarie
September 7th, 2014, 11:34 PM
Hey, checking in to this thread. I am growing out my virgin hair. I have had a relaxer for about 2 years now, and I have been trying to grow long, healthy hair. Decided to quit chemically processing my hair for it to reach its maximum potential. Its been almost 10 months now since my last relaxer. This thread is a great idea OP

Ingrid
September 8th, 2014, 03:05 AM
I'm growing out my virgin hair as well. It's down just below my shoulders now, and has not been touched by shampoo, conditioner, any dye, product, or heat. I'm extremely happy with its condition. It's in even better shape than when I was a child :laugh:

Creagan
September 8th, 2014, 03:14 AM
I'm pretty sure my hair's 100% virgin at this point... The last time I curled it was the day I graduated high school, four years ago. Prior to that, my hair was curled regularly at the insistence of my mother. But the length that got curled has all been trimmed off. My next trim should remove the remaining length that didn't get conditioned for two solid years.

I blame all my split-ends on those two things. When 100% virgin (and regularly conditioned,) I have approached WL with no splits at all, even though I wore my hair down 24/7, didn't sleep with it braided, brushed it 2X a day with a plastic brush, and washed it daily with a sulfate shampoo. Now I'm at WL, sleep with my hair braided, use a wide-tooth horn comb, and wash it every other day with loads of conditioner. But I've been getting splits for a year now on the length despite regular dusting my hemline. Meanwhile, my grown out bangs, which are 100% virgin and properly conditioned, haven't been trimmed in two years. They don't have any splits, and I've been pinning them back with bobby pins, claw clips, and headbands. So they should have just as much (if not more) mechanical damage than the length.

My next haircut will be to remove the section that was starved of conditioner.

JustPam
September 8th, 2014, 04:03 AM
I'm working towards virgin, last time I measured my roots they were just short of 7.5 inches, my hair is BSL so I have another couple years of growing out at this length but my goal is hip so add another couple of years! I've finally accepted that my natural colour is not as bad as I used to think, I was a bleach blonde for years then had a couple years going crazy with bright colours I think I tried them all, so my roots always looked a horrible murky colour in comparison. Although it's certainly not the same colour it was last time I had fully virgin hair, at about 12 years old, before I was allowed highlights.

As for heat use, I do not blow dry my hair any more since I stopped straightening, my hair goes super fluffy, even when I use the cool setting, I only reluctantly blow dry now if I need to be somewhere and it's not appropriate to go with wet hair, like out to dinner, but don't straighten. I had to wean myself off the straighteners, but I can't remember the last time I used them, I prefer my hair with a bit of a natural wave now anyway.

sammiesamm
September 9th, 2014, 07:34 AM
Yay! I almost Belong here. Except for the last two inches. I stopped dying in 2012 and never used heat or hair dryers before that.

abauer789
September 9th, 2014, 07:38 AM
Just when I thought I was proud of my virgin hair - my definition was having grown out bleached highlights to my natural color - no dyes, no bleach. I see that I am not really virgin!! YIKES! shudder:
I use a blow dryer once a week - on low heat and I do use curl defining gel for curly days, and sometimes...moussse???? I feel sheepishly guilty of thinking I was virgin!

abauer789
September 9th, 2014, 08:14 AM
You know what I would really LOVE?? To see all this awesome virgin hair!
Do you think we should start a new thread - share your virgin hair? Or can we incorporate that in this thread (I don't want to hijack the thread!) :eyebrows:

JustPam
September 9th, 2014, 08:27 AM
Just when I thought I was proud of my virgin hair - my definition was having grown out bleached highlights to my natural color - no dyes, no bleach. I see that I am not really virgin!! YIKES! shudder:
I use a blow dryer once a week - on low heat and I do use curl defining gel for curly days, and sometimes...moussse???? I feel sheepishly guilty of thinking I was virgin!

I'm pretty sure that for hair to be virgin it just has to be not processed by chemicals used to dye or perm etc, anything that penetrates the cuticle and causes some sort of change in the hair, warm air and general styling products won't do that.

abauer789
September 9th, 2014, 08:58 AM
Shameless promotion of my virgin hair....please share yours! ;) I love seeing other virgin hair color!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11741&d=1404928201
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12829&d=1409680153
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12997&d=1410273510
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11742&d=1404928287

sammiesamm
September 9th, 2014, 09:08 AM
I think its virgin hair if you blow dry XD I don't because Im lazy : p Btw Your hair is so shiny!

abauer789
September 9th, 2014, 09:11 AM
Thanks sammiesamm! Please share a photo of yours! :agree:

Junis
September 9th, 2014, 09:32 AM

I never dyed, straightened or curled my hair. This is what it looks like:
http://s7.directupload.net/images/140909/klhh66i7.jpg
It does have some split ends, and I'm using oils to prevent that.

abauer789
September 9th, 2014, 09:40 AM
OH MY Junis! I LOVE your natural hair!!!! The natural highlights are gorgeous!

Junis
September 9th, 2014, 09:41 AM
OH MY Junis! I LOVE your natural hair!!!! The natural highlights are gorgeous!

Aww thank you :) it always gets these highlights in summer.

curlylocks85
September 9th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Do you think we should start a new thread - share your virgin hair? Or can we incorporate that in this thread (I don't want to hijack the thread!) :eyebrows:

That is an awesome idea. Ladies and Gents, feel free to post your virgin hair pics here!

curlylocks85
September 9th, 2014, 10:34 AM
abauer789, Your hair is beautiful. I love your color. :)

Madora
September 9th, 2014, 10:36 AM

Junis, your hair is very lovely and the color!!! Truly gorgeous!

curlylocks85
September 9th, 2014, 10:37 AM
Junis, I love your natural highlights. You hair looks very soft and shiny.

curlylocks85
September 9th, 2014, 12:00 PM
I took these two pictures today. The top one was taken in the sunlight, the bottom one was taken in the shade.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t66/longhairbeauty/Hair%20Growth%20Pics/phonepics157.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/longhairbeauty/media/Hair%20Growth%20Pics/phonepics157.jpg.html)

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t66/longhairbeauty/Hair%20Growth%20Pics/phonepics158.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/longhairbeauty/media/Hair%20Growth%20Pics/phonepics158.jpg.html)

abauer789
September 9th, 2014, 12:45 PM
curlylocks85, your hair is so thick and healthy! The undertone is so rich and chocolatey in the top photo!

FrozenBritannia
September 9th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Beautiful hair!

lapushka
September 9th, 2014, 02:32 PM

So henna is allowed but blowdrying on cool is the devil? This I don't understand.

curlylocks85
September 9th, 2014, 03:23 PM
So henna is allowed but blowdrying on cool is the devil? This I don't understand.

I never said that. I said blowdrying on a regular basis that causes damage isn't and I don't believe in the devil.

lapushka
September 9th, 2014, 03:53 PM
I never said that. I said blowdrying on a regular basis that causes damage isn't and I don't believe in the devil.

Oh okay then. :) Thanks for explaining!

curlylocks85
September 9th, 2014, 06:25 PM
curlylocks85, your hair is so thick and healthy! The undertone is so rich and chocolatey in the top photo!

Thanks. It sure is thick. I wish I had a better quality camera to really capture what my hair looks like but this will do :)

Johannah
September 10th, 2014, 11:12 AM

Your hair is so pretty! And shiny!

kdaniels8811
September 10th, 2014, 11:25 AM
My hair is virgin, four years in August from growing out bald from chemo. I have great crispy ends - chemo hair grows out funny for a few inches before reverting back to the "normal" hair but I am not cutting it, I like my fairytale ends! I wear it up much of the time anyway and have just hit waist - where I was when I was diagnosed. Now I am aiming for classic length.

lapushka
September 10th, 2014, 01:23 PM
My hair is virgin, four years in August from growing out bald from chemo. I have great crispy ends - chemo hair grows out funny for a few inches before reverting back to the "normal" hair but I am not cutting it, I like my fairytale ends! I wear it up much of the time anyway and have just hit waist - where I was when I was diagnosed. Now I am aiming for classic length.

My mom's cousin went through cancer treatment and came out with curly hair. Her hair was as straight as can be. And now it's curly. No joke!

Johannah
September 11th, 2014, 03:17 AM
My mom's cousin went through cancer treatment and came out with curly hair. Her hair was as straight as can be. And now it's curly. No joke!

I've heard about this too, but the opposite way!

Dreams_in_Pink
September 11th, 2014, 03:46 AM
I think i belong in this thread. I only have henna on it (4 layers to be exact!). What henna does is to coat the hair and prevent protein loss, so my hair should technically be considered virgin, right? right???? :D

curlylocks85
September 11th, 2014, 10:25 AM
I think i belong in this thread. I only have henna on it (4 layers to be exact!). What henna does is to coat the hair and prevent protein loss, so my hair should technically be considered virgin, right? right???? :D

You bet :)

curlylocks85
September 14th, 2014, 11:20 PM
For those who are growing out any hair dye, do you like your natural color?

clioariane
September 15th, 2014, 05:47 AM
I dyed my hair with box dye for years but decided to go virgin 5 years ago after damaging it terribly with bleach (oops). It was a long process but I now have virgin mid-back length hair. The quality has improved incredibily since I stopped using dyes and heated styling tools, I don't miss my artificially colored hair at all.

The way I did it:

Throw out the dye/blowdryer/curlers/flatiron
Get trims every 3 months to take off a few inches of the damaged ends without sacrificing too much length
Hair masks once a week (Aveda Dry Remedy Masque or just coconut oil overnight)
Use good quality products (Kérastase is my favorite but whatever works for you)
Leave-in conditioners! (Oil, spray, whatever)

Ani Ta
September 15th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Just discovered this thread. I have virgin hair litterally from head to knee. I was never very mich in coloring, strightening etc and since I discovered LHC (and LHN) I'm so glad about it!

jacqueline101
September 15th, 2014, 09:11 AM
I think I don't belong here. I don't use heat or chemicals in my hair but I like my clip in extensions and occasional hair spray.

FrozenBritannia
September 16th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Hmm. I don't believe henna'd hair is virgin. Virgin hair, to me, is entirely the colour that comes out of your head, unmodified by choice.. Henna is a natural dye, it changes your colour. It's not bad for hair, but it's not virgin in my opinion.

molljo
September 16th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Hmm. I don't believe henna'd hair is virgin. Virgin hair, to me, is entirely the colour that comes out of your head, unmodified by choice.. Henna is a natural dye, it changes your colour. It's not bad for hair, but it's not virgin in my opinion.

I agree. For many people it also changes hair texture to be a little straighter, and it's permanent. I think anything that demands for you to do your roots disqualifies as being virgin.

JustPam
September 16th, 2014, 02:14 PM

It's growing on me...

Ani Ta
September 16th, 2014, 02:18 PM
I never colored my hair but I did not like my natural color most of the time. The longer it grew the more I liked the color as it shows more different shades and it's not "just brown". So I am perfectly happy with it now.

Ingrid
September 16th, 2014, 06:43 PM
I still can't figure out what my natural hair colour actually is. I know it's some kind of dark ash something since it has no red or yellow undertones. I'm not a huge fan of this colour but I can see it suits my complexion better than most other colours. I do love the henna red colour but it does not suit me at all, so I thought it would probably be best to accept what I've got naturally. Maybe it will look nicer as it grows longer and as I get rid of most of the dye. It's definitely softer and shinier than the dyed hair so it looks nicer in that sense.

Arciela
September 16th, 2014, 07:15 PM

Yes :) It took me a while...I was used to being bleach blonde my whole life! I bleached since elementary..lol. Now though, I have grown fond of my natural color :flower:

Aurum
September 16th, 2014, 07:41 PM
I'm growing out old highlights. My virgin hair is to about my ear and fortunately it doesn't have a line of demarcation. I don't mind my natural blonette hair color but it isn't something I would choose for myself if I could.

I've never been big on straightening or blow frying, so that isn't too big of a commitment for me.

Creagan
September 16th, 2014, 10:04 PM
Honestly, one of the main reasons I've never dyed my hair is fear of the fallout changing my natural color would create. My dad's side of the family has this weird obsession with redheaded women, and I'm almost positive my hair color is the only reason they tolerate me. (Other than the hair, I'm basically the exact opposite of their ideal female relative- not interested in fashion, not athletic, don't watch reality TV, "nerdy," into comics, very academic, don't drink, haven't started dating...)

Larki
September 16th, 2014, 11:19 PM
Honestly, one of the main reasons I've never dyed my hair is fear of the fallout changing my natural color would create. My dad's side of the family has this weird obsession with redheaded women, and I'm almost positive my hair color is the only reason they tolerate me. (Other than the hair, I'm basically the exact opposite of their ideal female relative- not interested in fashion, not athletic, don't watch reality TV, "nerdy," into comics, very academic, don't drink, haven't started dating...)

That's okay, because you sound like my ideal friend! :)

Junis
September 17th, 2014, 02:02 AM
Just discovered this thread. I have virgin hair litterally from head to knee.

I want to see pictures! :thud:

Ingrid
September 17th, 2014, 03:35 AM

:popcorn: Yes!!!

Johannah
September 17th, 2014, 03:55 AM

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: *waits patiently*

Begemot
September 17th, 2014, 05:50 AM
My color is untouched but I have used heat on my hair, maybe twice last year and once this year. So no regular heat for me. I don't mind using some sort of heat tool if the temperature is the lowest possible but I do freak out a little bit because of it (since the damage eventually builds up or you can fry your hair instantly, ugh). I still consider my hair virgin, although it's not a biggie if some don't :) Also, my hair color lightens in the sun and just worns out over time but I feel that this is something I really don't have control over and so it's natural for me, Im not trying to lighten my hair on purpose.

Nebulae
September 17th, 2014, 07:53 AM
Surprisingly it seems I qualify for this thread! I call my (post-LHC) hair virgin+henna. I think about it like this; if virgin hair is hennaed, sure it is still virgin underneath, but it is not the actual virgin color that grows out of your follicles.. which is why I'm not willing to call it completely virgin, although it basically is.. I could confidently call it natural, though, since henna is a natural dye! I think I might sound confusing, sorry if I do. :o
I only rarely use the blow dryer on cool/warm if I need to dry my hair in a hurry, so it's not going to cause any heat damage. There is a huuuuge difference between my virgin+henna hair and my abused grown out ends. I will never ever go back to doing so much damage to my hair again!

Also, I must add, Ingrid, your hair must count as extra virgin! (pun very much intended :henny: ) Puns aside, I admire the way you treat your hair! To have had nothing remotely "bad" touch it.. wow. :)

lapushka
September 17th, 2014, 08:32 AM
I agree. For many people it also changes hair texture to be a little straighter, and it's permanent. I think anything that demands for you to do your roots disqualifies as being virgin.

I agree as well. Natural, unmodified. Just the way I like it. ;)

Spinder
September 17th, 2014, 10:03 AM
Mine has never lost it's "virgin" state. Never used a drop of dye in my life, and don't use any styling tools or mousse. :)

Ani Ta
September 17th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Sure, here you go:

http://anitaswelt.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/schynigeplatte.jpg?w=423&h=564

More hair pics are on my blog ;)

FrozenBritannia
September 17th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Sure, here you go:

You have beautiful hair!

Ani Ta
September 17th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Thank you, FrozenBritannia !

Hopeful65
September 17th, 2014, 02:18 PM
Here is my virgin hair.

This is a good representation of my hair color, although it looks a little darker indoors.
I like the way it shimmers in direct sunlight.

I am almost to waist length.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13129&d=1410984238

Lirona
September 17th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Hopeful65, your hair is AMAZING. :thudpile: Holy cow. Absolutely stunning, shiny, shimmering silver. I hope my hair looks like that some day.

Ingrid
September 17th, 2014, 04:46 PM
Anita, your hair looks absolutely beautiful!! :inlove:

dellad
September 17th, 2014, 05:36 PM
I've had virgin hair all my life. Spotted my first grey hair due the past year, so maybe dyes are in my future. Or maybe I will have the courage to embrace the greys. :-)

Hopeful65
September 17th, 2014, 06:01 PM
Hopeful65, your hair is AMAZING. :thudpile: Holy cow. Absolutely stunning, shiny, shimmering silver. I hope my hair looks like that some day.

Thank you Lirona.
I have spent many years trying to change my natural hair. I regret it now, and wish I had always known of the LHC ways.

Ani Ta
September 17th, 2014, 10:19 PM
Thank you so much for your kind words, Hopeful65! You're color is stunningly beautiful! It is that shade I always look at and think: wooooooooow!

Johannah
September 18th, 2014, 03:08 AM
Sure, here you go:

Here is my virgin hair.

This is a good representation of my hair color, although it looks a little darker indoors.
I like the way it shimmers in direct sunlight.

I am almost to waist length.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13129&d=1410984238

Both of you have GORGEOUS hair. Wowie!

fišrildi
September 18th, 2014, 03:27 AM

Wow!! Amazing! Your hair is incredibly beautiful, and so is the landscape!

:thud: Just wow, Hopeful65!! Your hair is pure silver in the sun... wonderful!

Lady Katherine
September 18th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Honestly, one of the main reasons I've never dyed my hair is fear of the fallout changing my natural color would create. My dad's side of the family has this weird obsession with redheaded women, and I'm almost positive my hair color is the only reason they tolerate me. (Other than the hair, I'm basically the exact opposite of their ideal female relative- not interested in fashion, not athletic, don't watch reality TV, "nerdy," into comics, very academic, don't drink, haven't started dating...). No way it's the same way with my family and friends! Everyone and their mothers would kill me if I changed my hair color.

dellad
September 18th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Ani Ta, I'm jealous not just of your hair, but also of your location. What a gorgeous view!

Hopeful65, your hair is the most stunning color.

curlylocks85
January 19th, 2015, 10:09 PM
I am pleased with how my hair is turning out. My hair is healthy and I am glad I embraced my hair for what it is and have found a way to work with it, instead of against it.

Anyone else feeling good about their virgin hair? :)

salomers
January 20th, 2015, 04:13 AM
I love my virgin hair. I used to relax mine, it will be 3 years in march since I last did it. Although in that same time frame I've used heat about once a year. But I much rather wear my hair natural, otherwise I can of feel like it's not my real hair, like I'm wearing a wig or something.

JustPam
January 20th, 2015, 06:05 AM
I have about 9 inches of virgin hair now and I cant wait for it all to be virgin. The condition is awesome, it's been so long since my hair was completely free of any dye or heat damage.

Wosie
January 20th, 2015, 06:15 AM
Ani Ta, Your picture just made me go "wooow" in my head! What an amazing, beautiful picture. :cloud9: Your ends look so healthy!!

luvlonghair75
January 20th, 2015, 06:30 AM
I've never had a perm nor have I ever coloured my hair. I use a hair dryer on extremely rare occasions. I use it so much it's actually collecting dust! :D I don't even go to a salon to get a "professional" to trim it! I trust my hubby's good judgment and even that's rare! The trimmings, I mean... lol :)

curiouskitty
January 20th, 2015, 11:01 AM
I've been growing out virgin hair for 2 years now, and I'm wondering why I didn't decide to do it sooner. My hair feels so much thicker and silkier... and I've come to really embrace my natural color as well! Like many on here have said, virgin hair is perhaps boring to maintain and play around with (as you can't use dyes and heat), but the payoff is that it's so much easier to care for. Most people look their best in their natural colors (although I've seen some beautiful henna jobs too); plus, there's no need to touch up the roots (which was the reason I couldn't stop coloring in my teens). It's a wonderful feeling to be able to embrace the natural and unique colors that my body produces by itself. :heart:

mermaid lullaby
January 20th, 2015, 11:08 AM
I'm just starting :)

I'm glad to hear, you can use the hair dryer on low. Its too cold here!

lindsayhv
January 20th, 2015, 11:38 AM
I want to see some more pictures (all the previous ones have been to die for!). I am currently growing out old dye/henna and have about 3.5 inches of virgin growth. I haven't used heat in one WHOLE year! I am at shoulder now because I chopped of a good amount of the dye damage. Hey, maybe in 5 years or so, I'll have inspirational hair??? Right now, its pretty sorry looking shoulder length...patience, I just need a dose of patience!

curlylocks85
January 20th, 2015, 04:02 PM
I just posted these in another thread, but I want to post them here too. My hair is all virgin. :)

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t66/longhairbeauty/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-01/th_20150119_202457.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/longhairbeauty/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-01/20150119_202457.jpg.html)
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t66/longhairbeauty/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-01/th_20150119_202649.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/longhairbeauty/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-01/20150119_202649.jpg.html)

LarissaLuna
February 16th, 2015, 12:13 PM
I'm letting my virgin hair grow out. My last dye was in February 2013 and I love evry inch of my virgin hair. It's so shiny and soft and I don't have to do anything with it and it's perfect. Okay, another colour could be nice, but it also could be worse. So it's ok.

Saige
February 16th, 2015, 06:57 PM
My hair is 100% virgin. I've never coloured it and I've only used heat once in my life. That was for my school formal. I agree completely that it' so easy to care for. Many of my family members have used heat and/or coloured their hair for years. They all tell me that's its such a pain to maintain it. I'm glad I don't have to worry about any of that. I'm too lazy!

proo
February 16th, 2015, 08:29 PM
I'm 56, all virgin hair, never dyed -
it had been blown and ironed into submission,
but all that's a dim memory from 2007.
It's BSLplus and the very thickest, shiniest hair I've ever had, ever.
Thanks LHC

Hopeful65
February 16th, 2015, 11:40 PM
Here is a close up view of my virgin hair.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15968&d=1424155025

CremeTron
February 17th, 2015, 05:44 AM
Virgin hair here! I have about 4 inches of dye to cut off but no heat, no treatments, no setting, Just wash, oil and pin.

rina06
February 17th, 2015, 05:48 AM
I aspire to have virgin hair again, but realistically this will take me a while. At the moment Im growing out hair that was previously dyed a reddish brown with permanent formula but the roots were severe so I went with semi permanent to blend in. Now - 2 months later my ashy brown hair is coming through again and Im pleased because the variance between virgin and non virgin is subtle.

AmberLouise
March 4th, 2015, 10:23 AM
I had been dying my hair black for 8 years (and red for many years before that) but was getting tired of the upkeep, so two years ago I chopped off my hair into a very short pixie and have been growing out my natural color ever since. To be honest I would love to dye my hair red but I know I won't want to deal with the upkeep and growing it out would be a pain. This is my natural hair color in different lighting... I've never really liked blonde hair but I'm learning to accept it. Right now I don't use any color or heat on it, I'm just trying to leave it be and let it grow.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l121/raingirlred/Untitled_zps0bc528a7.png (http://s95.photobucket.com/user/raingirlred/media/Untitled_zps0bc528a7.png.html)

arelrios
March 4th, 2015, 01:02 PM
I belong here... I don't use heat anymore (other than the occasional couple days a year we get cold weather here, and I use the dryer in the lowest setting) and I cut all the old dye I used for the last time like 5 or even 6 years ago.

Hairkay
March 4th, 2015, 05:17 PM
I've always had virgin hair and I rarely use a blow dryer or any other heat implement. I have started using henna glosses since last September as a deep conditioner. That's the most I've ever done.

Soulina
March 4th, 2015, 11:29 PM
Can I already join? I quit using dyes start of this year, so I do not have much of virgin hair 1-2 inches maybe. I have colored my hair sense I was 8 years old, so I have no idea what my natural hair color will be. It is some type of ashen brown maybe? I have noticed that there is few hairs that are clearly golden in color and way different from others. The difference to most of my other hairs is clear and I am exited to see how they will look in longer virgin lengths. Maybe I have natural highlights who knows?

I never used much heat, I don't even own any heat styling equipment, except blow dryer for dogs (that kind what is meant to be used for pets, not humans). I do not even have hairspray anymore...

I try to reach waist length again and maintain it there till I have grown out all the damage and have 100% virgin hair and then grow it as long as it does (my dream is classic). I also plan to micro trim on my way there.

Bazinga
March 5th, 2015, 02:31 AM
I have virgin hair since 16 years. I used to dye my hair for a short period of time when I was 14 because everyone else did. It was an awful red color, every girl around used to dye their hair some shade of red. One day I think I left the dye on for too long and ended up with sort of orange hair. I think that was when I quit coloring my hair.
I really like my natural hair color because it has all sorts of different shades in it and in the sunlight I get natural highlights. I went from shoulder-length hair to pixie and back again a few times. Right now I am growing my hair long because for once in my life I'd like to know what it is like to have really long hair (which is mid back for me I think :) ).
I use a shampoo bar from Lush and no conditioner. I use heat on my hair from time to time because my hair does not look too good when I let it air dry. I hardly ever get split ends though so I think I can get away with it.
Overall I try to incorporate some of the LHC hair care advice but I don't worry too much about my hair. Some of the things I do on an irregular basis are scalp massages (with or without oil), Inversion Method and oiling the ends. And I just bought myself a boar bristle brush today. :)
Most of the time though I just put my hair in a ponytail and forget about it. That really helped with my hair growth over the last year. I went from pixie to almost shoulder in one year.

Bat
April 22nd, 2024, 05:49 AM
There doesn't seem to be one of these so I made one, even though it's unlikely I'll grow my hair natural since I hate the color but I'm sure others will use this. But if a thread already exists this can be merged to it.

I didn't think I needed to explain what the threads about as I thought it was obvious.
It seems I was wrong

So post photos
Chat with others
Share stories about why you prefer non dyed hair
How long have you had natural hair
Yada Yada

luxurioushair
April 22nd, 2024, 01:41 PM
well, what is the thread about? How does it work?

Bat
April 22nd, 2024, 08:34 PM
If you got virgin hair you just post in it like any other thread? Thoughts pictures or whatever

LongHairFaerie
April 22nd, 2024, 09:18 PM
I think this does already exist, although it's been dormant 9 years:

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125975

Jovana
April 22nd, 2024, 09:54 PM
Do you mean virgin of colour or everything (heat and keratin treatment)?

Ylva
April 23rd, 2024, 05:55 AM
Do you mean virgin of colour or everything (heat and keratin treatment)?

Virgin generally refers to everything, as in totally chemically unprocessed hair that's only seen natural changes that happen over time, such as photobleaching. I am personally of the opinion that the use of heat tools doesn't make hair not virgin.

neko_kawaii
April 23rd, 2024, 08:25 AM
I’m lazy and all the treatments that would change my hair color are time consuming, messy (DIY), and have to be reapplied regularly. I enjoy the effects on other heads, though!

Nefcerka
April 23rd, 2024, 08:59 AM
I used to experiment with dyes, looking back at pictures from years ago I“ve no idea why. No color I tried suited me, my own is nicest, I feel.
And I absolutely hate roots showing.
I only do cassia once a month these days (does that mean my hair is not virgin? I feel it“s just a herbal rinse), and while it gives me some golden highlights, they don“t last more than a few washes.
Buuut I have to admit that if I live to be fully gray/silver, one day I might want to try pink semi-permanent dye... maybe just one streak... lol.

Bat
April 24th, 2024, 12:18 AM
Plant dye is still dye I guess?

Others might think differently though

lapis_lazuli
April 24th, 2024, 04:34 AM
I believe my hair is about 90% virgin now. My best estimates put the demarcation line (now virtually invisible) around lower calf, about 10" up from the ends. If I maintain here, still another two years to go to grow it all out.