PDA

View Full Version : I think my excessive shedding has finally stopped!

ExpectoPatronum
September 5th, 2014, 06:14 PM
So, for as long as I've been keeping track, I've always been a "heavy" shedder. It seemed like my hair just didn't like being attached to my head! Every time I combed, the bathroom floor would be littered with hairs. I couldn't run my fingers through my hair without it getting snarled on strands that decided to jump from my scalp. Wash days? I'd have a hair ball nearly the size of my palm. I legitimately wondered sometimes how I wasn't bald. Sure, my hair was a lot thinner in comparison to how it was when I was younger - but I thought that was normal.

Still, I tried some things to see if I could maybe reduce my shedding. I don't know about you, but I just didn't like seeing 150 hairs in the shower and another 50 or so after combing, and another 50 after braiding.

I looked at my diet, I tried combing less, combing more, scalp massages with and without oil, not combing at all, different shampoos and cleansing methods, dietary supplements, tea rinses...everything! Some things DID improve my shedding a little, but it was never enough for me to continue.

Instead of getting discouraged, I just kind of accepted that I was one of those people who just shed a lot.

Fast forward a few months later. A little over a week ago, I started birth control to help with my periods - which are painful and heavy to put it lightly. A couple of days ago, when I was washing my hair, I noticed that my hair ball wasn't quite as monstrous as it usually was. It was still kind of large, but not scarily so. I did a little blog post about it, wondering if it was because of BC or if it was just a fluke. But over the last few days, I noticed less and less hair coming out going about my day to day hair stuff. I noticed I was shedding less when combing and was losing fewer hairs than normal when braiding.

However, I washed my hair today and...Guys. I think I finally found the "cure" to my excessive shedding. I counted my hairs I lost in the shower...and it was...35! 35 hairs compared to the 100-150 I'd normally lose! I have to say I'm very very pleased! :joy:

I never would have guessed my hair shedding issues were related to hormones. This just goes to show that if you're experiencing issues with your scalp and hair, it could be a sign that something is up! It's worth it to make an appointment to get checked out to make sure everything internally and externally is functioning as it should.

Vanilla
September 5th, 2014, 06:36 PM
I'm so glad you found a solution to your shedding woes. It can be really discouraging losing that many hairs, but when it slows down, it feels awesome! I struggled with shedding problems as well, and I'm glad to be mostly past it too.

EarthArtist
September 5th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Thank you for sharing your story.
It makes me wonder if my shedding is because of my early menopause. I'm only 43 and I've already stopped menaces. Hot flashes and all that fun stuff!! Now dealing with hair loss just when I'm trying to grow it out. Oh well. Gonna do what I can to save my locks.

gthlvrmx
September 5th, 2014, 07:00 PM
I'm glad your shedding has slowed down now! That's great news! :)

DarleneH
September 5th, 2014, 08:14 PM
Estrogen is hair-retentive. If you are on a birth control pill that increases your estrogen, you will retain more hair. This is why women generally keep their hair later in life when men start having thinning issues.

sarahchant
September 5th, 2014, 09:09 PM
Hormones and hair are definitely related! Just ask some women who suffer from PCOS! Lots of us get really thin...

I'm glad you figured out what could help you reduce your shedding, that's awesome! And hopefully the BC has relieved some of your other troublesome symptoms!

amanda_the_tall
September 5th, 2014, 09:33 PM
^ I'm one of those women with PCOS as well. I don't think b/c has helped with my shedding (I don't shed too crazily, or the hairs are too thin to actually count them lol), but I hope that it will prevent my already thin hair from shedding in the future. :) I'm happy your hair is doing better! (also I hope the periods are way better, mine are about 1/4 the intensity as before the pill).

Johannah
September 6th, 2014, 05:13 AM
Thank you for sharing your story. I'm happy you've found a 'cure' for your shedding problem! :blossom:

Phexlyn
September 6th, 2014, 08:05 AM
I'm glad you found the reason behind your shedding! Hopefully you won't suffer any negative side effects from birth control, sometimes it takes a while to find the right pill. But judging by your post, it all seems pretty positive so don't worry too much about that :)

ExpectoPatronum
September 6th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Thank you everyone! It really feels so good to finally have this issue getting under control.

Thank you for sharing your story.
It makes me wonder if my shedding is because of my early menopause. I'm only 43 and I've already stopped menaces. Hot flashes and all that fun stuff!! Now dealing with hair loss just when I'm trying to grow it out. Oh well. Gonna do what I can to save my locks.
It very well could be! I found caffeine rinses (I used tea) to help the most during my foray into trying to fix my shedding on my own.

Estrogen is hair-retentive. If you are on a birth control pill that increases your estrogen, you will retain more hair. This is why women generally keep their hair later in life when men start having thinning issues.
Well...I am on a combo pill so that would explain that!

Hormones and hair are definitely related! Just ask some women who suffer from PCOS! Lots of us get really thin...

I'm glad you figured out what could help you reduce your shedding, that's awesome! And hopefully the BC has relieved some of your other troublesome symptoms!
Eek! I know a couple people who have PCOS and it doesn't sound fun at all. :( My mom had it too actually. It hasn't been a full month yet, so who knows how it's going to work for the other troubles I have.

^ I'm one of those women with PCOS as well. I don't think b/c has helped with my shedding (I don't shed too crazily, or the hairs are too thin to actually count them lol), but I hope that it will prevent my already thin hair from shedding in the future. :) I'm happy your hair is doing better! (also I hope the periods are way better, mine are about 1/4 the intensity as before the pill).
1/4th the intensity? I can't even imagine how nice that would be. (assuming my body reacts the same way).

I'm glad you found the reason behind your shedding! Hopefully you won't suffer any negative side effects from birth control, sometimes it takes a while to find the right pill. But judging by your post, it all seems pretty positive so don't worry too much about that :)
Thanks <3 The only negative thing I've suffered so far was slight stomach upset the first couple of days. But, it didn't really bother me. My stomach bugs me worse on my period...I'd usually miss one or two days of class because of it, so the slightly stomach upset was nothing in comparison to that lol.

Gertrude
September 6th, 2014, 12:39 PM
So glad the BCP is working for you and has stopped the excessive shedding. Hormones and hair are definitely very linked, so very glad this is such encouraging progress .