PDA

View Full Version : Help! How to wash after scalp massage.

easternsunrise
September 22nd, 2008, 07:47 PM
I've started doing EO and jojoba scalp massages every evening. My problem is I don't know how to wash my scalp withoug using shampoo. I had been only shampooing weekly and using conditioner daily. By shampooing/conditioning daily my hair has ended up really really tangled afterwards...we're talking birds nest tangled. I even use coconut oil as a leave in after but get very little help from it. I've been using Now brand shampoo in Herbal Revival and Kiss My Face shampoo in Big Body. The conditioner I've been using is Now brand in Herbal Revival. These are all organic shampoo's and conditioners. I have switched to organic because I've noticed more thinning over the last year and am concerned with the non-organic products I was using. I just bought some Bert's Bees conditioner in More Moisture that I've yet to try hoping it will help more with the tangles. Could it be that organic soaps and conditioners are not working well for me? My scalp feels really good no reactions etc...:(

spidermom
September 22nd, 2008, 08:04 PM
I'm not sure you've given enough information to enable me to be helpful, but I'll try. You can massage your scalp with the pads of your fingertips without using any oil. You can also bend toward the floor and comb your hair out with a subtle side-to-side motion of your comb against your scalp, which provides a wonderful massage and doesn't require oil. Maybe just use the oil on the evening before you plan to wash it and go back to your old schedule of washing once a week.

The way you wash your hair might contribute to the tangles. I wash mine standing up in the shower, so I comb my hair out very thoroughly before my shower and leave it hanging straight down. I squirt diluted shampoo all over my scalp and massage from forehead toward nape with the pads of my fingertips several times so that I don't get my hair all scrambled up and tangled.

If you wash bent over the tub or sink, just comb your hair out in that direction and be careful not to scramble it all around.

easternsunrise
September 22nd, 2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks Spidermom. I do comb my hair before I shower and carefully wash it to prevent tangles. The reason I want to do daily massages with the EO's is because I read a thread on here that a study showed increase hair growth/thickness as a result of it. I just don't know if I can make this work though. Thanks for your suggestions.:) Last fall I had a 3 1/2" circum. now I'm down to 3." I am wondering if the CO has done this so I'm trying to do something else. I'm getting a bit scared. I have always had super thick hair and never noticed any thinning.

aisling
September 23rd, 2008, 02:04 AM
A few questions:

your hair still tangles a lot, even if you use shampoo just once a week or was it when you used shampoo every day?
you write you use conditioner every day. How? Do you CO, which means you cover all your hair in conditioner or do you just rinse your hair and condition the length?

One possible problem is that using lots of conditioner and little shampoo has created buildup on your length. I find that a lot of things build up, not just cones. The solution is that wash your hair from root to tip with a good, harsh shampoo, as strange as it may sound :)

Other than that, I can only second spidermom's suggestion to do scalp massage without oil if you don't know how to wash it out. I usually CO out oil treatments, but if you experience thinning (even if I'm not sure if you CO or not), it might not be a good solution for you. With scalp massages, I think the massage in itself can be very effective and not dependent of EOs.

ChloeDharma
September 23rd, 2008, 02:42 AM
Could you not try leaving the oil in and wearing your hair in an updo? I do this quite alot leaving a scalp oiling in for a few days.
Or if natural is the way you wan't to go you could try herb washing? Although doing it everyday might be a bit much.
Another way i've started using essential oils for hairgrowth is to mix some in with cider vinegar, then dilute with water and use as a final rinse working it into my scalp....that might be another idea for you to try?

easternsunrise
September 23rd, 2008, 10:31 AM
A few questions:
your hair still tangles a lot, even if you use shampoo just once a week or was it when you used shampoo every day?
you write you use conditioner every day. How? Do you CO, which means you cover all your hair in conditioner or do you just rinse your hair and condition the length?One possible problem is that using lots of conditioner and little shampoo has created buildup on your length. I find that a lot of things build up, not just cones. The solution is that wash your hair from root to tip with a good, harsh shampoo, as strange as it may sound :)

Other than that, I can only second spidermom's suggestion to do scalp massage without oil if you don't know how to wash it out. I usually CO out oil treatments, but if you experience thinning (even if I'm not sure if you CO or not), it might not be a good solution for you. With scalp massages, I think the massage in itself can be very effective and not dependent of EOs.

I had been CO using Suave Naturals Coconut (yes whole head conditioning) daily and only washing/conditioning once a week. I had been doing this since I joined-about a year. But this thinning issue has me scared and I'm thinking CO is to blame.

This is where I came up with the EO massage idea. It appears that the EO's are needed right?http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001&highlight=massage+study

chrissy-b
September 23rd, 2008, 10:47 AM
I had this problem with EO's too. I've recently added some essential oils to my conditioner for the days I CO and it has been working nicely. They do get rinsed out so it not the most optimum way, but you still get your scalp massage in when you CO.

You could also try using less oil, as the CO washes should remove most of the oil (I've had this experience and we have similar hair types) and maybe do a heavier oiling massage on the days before you wash.

Another option would be to wash your scalp only on the days that it is particularly oily.

I hope you find something that works for you. :)

easternsunrise
September 23rd, 2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks chrissy-b...I'm going to try washing with my new conditioners and skipping the shampoo unless it really needs it. I'm going to continue the massages but try to use less oil. If that doesnt work I will try mixing the oils with the conditioner like you suggested. I can't help but think there is something in the cheaper Suave conditioners that my hair didn't like. I'm gonna try CO with my new ones. Thanks!:)