PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing new shampoo and conditioner and general hair stuff.

Esperada
September 5th, 2014, 07:04 AM
Recenttly my hair has gone a bit odd, one day it seems very very dry and the next extremely greasy. I've been shedding more than usual and noticing more split ends and white dots.
I've tried no poo and baking soda/beer rinses/apple cider vinegar washes and it really isn't for me.
So I'm looking for a new shampoo and conditioner at the moment I'm using garnier ultimate blends the marvellous transformer and whilst the smell is divine it's not really doing anything else for me.
I'm thinking of maybe using a shampoo bar but not sure?
Any suggestons would be great.
Also looking at getting a new hairbrush, thinking maybe the tangle teezer or something
My hair is still recovering from when I went from my natural hair colour to platinum blonde and then dyed twice all within the space of one week and then dyed a few times every couple of weeks so it really could do with some tlc, it needs a good trim as well and has now been dyed with henna twice and planning on a few more goes with henna to get the colour I want.

schnibbles
September 5th, 2014, 07:15 AM
Finding a good routine is the hardest part of having long hair, I think.
Are there cones in the garnier ultimate blends the marvellous transformer?
What about your water? Hard or soft?

I've recently started diluting my shampoo (I rotate right now with Nature's Gate Hemp or Tresseme Naturals) and it's really working for me.
I wish there was some miracle shampoo/conditioner i could recommend, but there's not.
I'll admit though, the name of the stuff you're currently using is pretty funny - "garnier ultimate blends the marvellous transformer" I don't know anything about the product, but when it has a name like that my first reaction for some reason is to assume that they're lying. :suspect: Just the skeptic in me I guess... :rolling:

lapushka
September 5th, 2014, 07:26 AM
Garnier Ultimate blends is the same as Garnier Ultra Doux in the EU. They offer a good range of shampoo/conditioner. Do check, like schnibbles said for silicones in your shampoo/conditioner (if that's not what you want).

Looks like you went through a lot of changes in a short period of time. I'd not switch up the shampoo/conditioner for a while, until your hair settles down a bit from processing (yes, even from the henna).

Esperada
September 5th, 2014, 07:35 AM
Water is soft
Only claim it makes is that it creates shine, which I guess it does, no idea if there are cones in it or not but it has no parabens and contains argan and camellia oil. Only reason I bought t really was because it smells so good.
I've used so many different shampoos and conditioners and they seem to work for a small amount of time but afterwards not so much if that makes sense.

meteor
September 5th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Recenttly my hair has gone a bit odd, one day it seems very very dry and the next extremely greasy. I've been shedding more than usual and noticing more split ends and white dots.
I've tried no poo and baking soda/beer rinses/apple cider vinegar washes and it really isn't for me.
So I'm looking for a new shampoo and conditioner at the moment I'm using garnier ultimate blends the marvellous transformer and whilst the smell is divine it's not really doing anything else for me.
I'm thinking of maybe using a shampoo bar but not sure?
Any suggestons would be great.
Also looking at getting a new hairbrush, thinking maybe the tangle teezer or something
My hair is still recovering from when I went from my natural hair colour to platinum blonde and then dyed twice all within the space of one week and then dyed a few times every couple of weeks so it really could do with some tlc, it needs a good trim as well and has now been dyed with henna twice and planning on a few more goes with henna to get the colour I want.

Well, your hair went through very damaging processes recently (bleaching, dyeing), so don't expect any miracles from your usual products.
If anything, you'll probably need to look for intense treatments. Damaged hair is more porous (chipped/missing/roughened cuticle) and less elastic than virgin hair. You can't "repair" damage, but you can temporarily patch-repair (esp. with proteins) and mask it (esp. with silicones).
Focus on hydrolyzed proteins and penetrating oils - damaged/porous hair needs them more. Other ingredients that would help are ceramides, 18-mea, panthenol (pro-vitamin B5), niacinamide (vitamin B3), artificial peptides, water-soluble silicones... Look for conditioners for color-treated / chemically processed hair. You might benefit from CO-washing, because cationic surfactants in conditioners are gentler on hair than anionic surfactants in standard shampoos.

If I were to recommend a routine, I'd do pre-poo heavy oilings, followed by mild cleanser (not alkaline shampoo bars), followed by protein treatment/SMT and some leave-in oil / conditioner or even silicone serum for increased slip/manageability.

I recommend reading this to help figure out a good routine:
Ingredients that penetrate hair (damaged vs. virgin): http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/10/deep-conditioning-what-ingredients-in.html
Pre-poo oils and how to make oils work for your hair: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/03/oil-pre-shampoo-or-pre-wash.html
Managing elasticity and porosity: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/03/managing-elasticity-and-porosity-in-hair.html