PDA

View Full Version : Hair strike: buns/braids don't stay up or braided

YGDW
September 4th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Hi all!

I'm struggling with something that is driving me nuts and making me yearn for a buzz cut My hair is 27", layered, quite thick (about 4"), super heavy yet super fine. It's also a bit damaged despite having dyed and blow-dried it only about 2 or 3 times over the last few years. Therefore, I want to protect it as much as possible by wearing it up until it hits waist.

Proof of the existence of hair on my head! It was just released from a damp bun, in case you notice the odd waves. Sorry, missed the top of my head when making the picture.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/emraes/Haar/down.jpg
Anyway, the problem is that this THING has a will of its own. I am able to do an ugly gibson tuck (though my hair already is more or less to big for it?), LWB and sometimes a nautilus. However, while in the beginning of my growth adventure (the previous months), everything stayed well where it belonged, but the last two weeks or something, every bun, thing, braid, whatever seems to collapse. I lost two hair sticks since last Friday. I have to redo my bun every 10 minutes otherwise I'll lose more. I just lost a large claw clip today when I jumped off a side walk of a few inches - I was wearing a cinnabun. It just fell out. Even my braid hair bands seem to disappear, as well as my braids. I use plain hair sticks (one or two), lots of spin pins and sometimes a bobby pin here and there. I haven't used a fork yet because I'm a bit broke and they're a bit expensive for me now.

My major question is: what am I doing wrong? I can't seem to do French/Dutch braids or other fancy braid things (I try it almost daily, but I fail), and everything else just doesn't stick. It's so slippery and heavy. How do I solve this? Am I doing something wrong updo wise? Is it 'just a phase'? Is my hair evil? Should I touch a scissors? Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Here's some schadenfreude:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/emraes/Haar/escaping.jpg
See that wild part? It'll escape from the bun by the time I have walked to the front door.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/emraes/Haar/Photoon04-09-14at0909pm-1.jpg
French twist with 5 spin pins collapsing on itself like baking a bread with too warm dough.

two_wheels
September 4th, 2014, 02:20 PM
I go through phases of this, and have a theory that it's an awkward layer that has grown enough to cause trouble. In time, said awkward layer grows a bit more and calms down and it gets easier again.
Just a theory!

kaydana
September 4th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Yeah, that happens. Ignore it, maybe experiment with some new buns, it grows out of that phase as quickly as it grows into it.

YGDW
September 4th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Thanks guys! :blossom: Glad to hear that it is supposed to get better. At least, the theory sounds reasonable. ;)

This is my first growing experiment and I don't know anyone to ask (my families are all short haired, and friends have either had long hair since forever or are also shorties). Let's hope these awkward layers will be tamed soon.

ETA: I think I missed a 'don't' in the title...

Anje
September 4th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Braided buns might wrangle it a bit better.

FWIW, my french twists ALWAYS look like that. Which is probably why I rarely wear them in public.

(Also fixed your title. :))

brickworld13
September 4th, 2014, 02:42 PM
I will also say that it may just be an awkward length layer. I have new growth that does that, and it can be really irritating.

It could also be that your hair is super slippery due to a change in your routine that improved the condition of your hair. Mine doesn't stay put in anything for about 2 days after I wash it because it doesn't have any grip. I just deal with a really messy braid or wear it loose with a wide heaband to keep it out of my eyes.

cocolover
September 4th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Thank you for posting this! I hit one of these awful grow point last week and my hair is driving me crazy, won't stay in anything for longer than a half hour, continually falling out of everything. I'm actually most worried about losing a hairstick or pins without realizing it. Hope it ends for both of soon!

ashke50
September 4th, 2014, 02:49 PM
I second Anje's braided bun suggestion. A braided cinnabun held with spin pins is usually pretty solid! Experiment with some more styles, Torrinpaige and Hypnotica both have loads of YouTube videos, you may find other buns stay better with your hair.
Also, you might want to look into flexi8s. They hold better than sticks for me and are much cheaper than forks!

GilaShorty
September 4th, 2014, 02:50 PM
have the same problem :-(

YGDW
September 4th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Braided buns might wrangle it a bit better.

FWIW, my french twists ALWAYS look like that. Which is probably why I rarely wear them in public.

(Also fixed your title. :))

Thanks. ;) Highly annoying to see all those youtubers making the prettiest French twists in 10 seconds. But we can't have everything, can we? I will try to discover the braided bun world, but I have so far not yet been able to make them without a hair band (which I try to avoid due to damage control).

I will also say that it may just be an awkward length layer. I have new growth that does that, and it can be really irritating.

It could also be that your hair is super slippery due to a change in your routine that improved the condition of your hair. Mine doesn't stay put in anything for about 2 days after I wash it because it doesn't have any grip. I just deal with a really messy braid or wear it loose with a wide heaband to keep it out of my eyes.

I think this routine improvement might also be an influence yes... I rarely used conditioner before *gasp*. Just a little bit of sulphate free shampoo. Now I oil, co-wash (often) and use lots of conditioner. Increased softness: yes. Increased slipperiness: probably. I hope your new growth starts behaving nice soon!

Thank you for posting this! I hit one of these awful grow point last week and my hair is driving me crazy, won't stay in anything for longer than a half hour, continually falling out of everything. I'm actually most worried about losing a hairstick or pins without realizing it. Hope it ends for both of soon!

Aw, I'm sorry for you also going through this awkward phase! Unfortunately, I lost my favourite (and most expensive) stick on a bicycle ride home at night. Went back to search for it, but it was too dark. I'd highly recommend to wear budget items until this passes. :)

Madora
September 4th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Hi all!

I'm struggling with something that is driving me nuts and making me yearn for a buzz cut My hair is 27", layered, quite thick (about 4"), super heavy yet super fine. It's also a bit damaged despite having dyed and blow-dried it only about 2 or 3 times over the last few years. Therefore, I want to protect it as much as possible by wearing it up until it hits waist.

Proof of the existence of hair on my head! It was just released from a damp bun, in case you notice the odd waves. Sorry, missed the top of my head when making the picture.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/emraes/Haar/down.jpg
Anyway, the problem is that this THING has a will of its own. I am able to do an ugly gibson tuck (though my hair already is more or less to big for it?), LWB and sometimes a nautilus. However, while in the beginning of my growth adventure (the previous months), everything stayed well where it belonged, but the last two weeks or something, every bun, thing, braid, whatever seems to collapse. I lost two hair sticks since last Friday. I have to redo my bun every 10 minutes otherwise I'll lose more. I just lost a large claw clip today when I jumped off a side walk of a few inches - I was wearing a cinnabun. It just fell out. Even my braid hair bands seem to disappear, as well as my braids. I use plain hair sticks (one or two), lots of spin pins and sometimes a bobby pin here and there. I haven't used a fork yet because I'm a bit broke and they're a bit expensive for me now.

My major question is: what am I doing wrong? I can't seem to do French/Dutch braids or other fancy braid things (I try it almost daily, but I fail), and everything else just doesn't stick. It's so slippery and heavy. How do I solve this? Am I doing something wrong updo wise? Is it 'just a phase'? Is my hair evil? Should I touch a scissors? Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Here's some schadenfreude:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/emraes/Haar/escaping.jpg
See that wild part? It'll escape from the bun by the time I have walked to the front door.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/emraes/Haar/Photoon04-09-14at0909pm-1.jpg
French twist with 5 spin pins collapsing on itself like baking a bread with too warm dough.

If you want to successfully manage your hair thickness, you have to learn to section it. It is a lot easier to section hair than put it in one big clump..a lot better for your scalp too when the weight of the hair is distributed over your scalp.

I don't know how many layers you have but judging from the picture (the length shot) you might be able to make decent braids by doing what I call "trapping the shorter lengths".

1 Detangle all hair gently w wide tooth comb
2 Section hair into 2 parts. Clip one section aside so it won't get tangled while you work on the other side.
3 Divide the hair in the other section in 3 parts.
4 Start to braid down
5 When you get to within 2 inches ABOVE where the shorter pieces of hair appear, take a long piece of hair from the RIGHT side of the braid and cross it over to the MIDDLE section. Hold that section with your fingers.
6 Take a long piece of hair from the LEFT side of the braid and cross it over to the MIDDLE SECTION. Hold that section with your fingers.
7 Continue down the braid...taking long strands and "trapping" the shorter strands inside. Fasten off w hair friendly elastic (no metal!)

As for holding buns, braids, you need the right size implement! Bobby pins don't hold anything. Some people swear by spin pins. I swear by 3 inch crimped hair pins. Easy to use, hold styles like a rock. And yes, there is a certain way you insert them, but it is not hard to learn.

Sectioned buns are easy to do and this technique can lead to more experimentation with other styles that use the same method.

Remember, practice, practice, practice! Be patient, and everything will gradually fall into place! Good luck!

pastina
September 4th, 2014, 02:57 PM
i can sympathize too! i gotta say, though-- i thought your pictures of the problem were hilarious! you've perfectly illustrated our shared frustrations, and i appreciate that!

two_wheels
September 4th, 2014, 02:59 PM
While you're waiting for those layers to grow out, and while you're practising sectioning your updos, you might want to peruse this thread for like-minded souls (and possibly add some of your pictures, if you'd like!) http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=119364

meteor
September 4th, 2014, 03:06 PM
I second Anje's braided bun suggestion. A braided cinnabun held with spin pins is usually pretty solid! Experiment with some more styles, Torrinpaige and Hypnotica both have loads of YouTube videos, you may find other buns stay better with your hair.

I third the braided bun suggestion! I have hair exploding out of buns, too. I think braiding in various ways keeps sections of hair under control. I also find that clean hair is a lot more slippery. So don't be afraid to use oils, leave-in conditioners or plain water, and use extra U-pins to pin the hair down. Use accent braids or twists if the front layers are rebellious. Or you can section buns or do 2 buns instead of one (though those are hard to keep symmetrical).

You have gorgeous hair, by the way! :applause

meteor
September 4th, 2014, 03:15 PM
While you're waiting for those layers to grow out, and while you're practising sectioning your updos, you might want to peruse this thread for like-minded souls (and possibly add some of your pictures, if you'd like!) http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=119364

Those hairstyles "gone rogue" look pretty great to me! :D They look downright polished compared to my everyday updos and messy braids! I really need to learn more hairstyling tricks!:oops:

YGDW, maybe this list of braided updos (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=124183&p=2756756&viewfull=1#post2756756) (they require only simple English braids) might help.

MsBubbles
September 4th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Even though I never have and never will have that problem of "My ends are SO thick, my buns just spring out all the time", I do understand the fine-hair problem of fuzzy braids 1 hour later, and slippery hair (I have never been able to do a cinnabun or any of those coily ones).

JJJLonghair's pretzel bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElSCHnzYtM8) (and little claw cips) totally saved me from cutting my hair short when I was somewhere around BSL. This style grows with your hair. I can do this style at any length. It's the updo I use when nothing else works and I'm about to punch a hole in my bathroom wall. :blushing: (Oh and my pretzel bun looks nothing like JJJLonghair's! Plus my claw clips were the teeny tiny ones :laugh:)

Oh! Also...I can't put my hair in ANY updo if it is dry. It has to be damp.

YGDW
September 4th, 2014, 03:31 PM
If you want to successfully manage your hair thickness, you have to learn to section it. It is a lot easier to section hair than put it in one big clump..a lot better for your scalp too when the weight of the hair is distributed over your scalp.

I don't know how many layers you have but judging from the picture (the length shot) you might be able to make decent braids by doing what I call "trapping the shorter lengths".

1 Detangle all hair gently w wide tooth comb
2 Section hair into 2 parts. Clip one section aside so it won't get tangled while you work on the other side.
3 Divide the hair in the other section in 3 parts.
4 Start to braid down
5 When you get to within 2 inches ABOVE where the shorter pieces of hair appear, take a long piece of hair from the RIGHT side of the braid and cross it over to the MIDDLE section. Hold that section with your fingers.
6 Take a long piece of hair from the LEFT side of the braid and cross it over to the MIDDLE SECTION. Hold that section with your fingers.
7 Continue down the braid...taking long strands and "trapping" the shorter strands inside. Fasten off w hair friendly elastic (no metal!)

As for holding buns, braids, you need the right size implement! Bobby pins don't hold anything. Some people swear by spin pins. I swear by 3 inch crimped hair pins. Easy to use, hold styles like a rock. And yes, there is a certain way you insert them, but it is not hard to learn.

Sectioned buns are easy to do and this technique can lead to more experimentation with other styles that use the same method.

Remember, practice, practice, practice! Be patient, and everything will gradually fall into place! Good luck!

Thanks Madora, for the super extensive advice. I always enjoy reading your step by step walkthroughs for dealing with misbehaving hair. :) I will definitely try the layer trap braids tomorrow, though I may have to ignore the shortest (1,5" past jaw) layer. I am actually growing out old bangs, and the hairdressers tried to make my weird hairdo into a coherent whole by cutting the layers... something I regret now! Unfortunately, our stores do not sell the many options you have in the US. It's basically bobby pins. But maybe I should take a look in other countries when I'm abroad. I'll definitely look into sectioning, as my hair probably will grow much heavier as it grows.

And thanks for the compliments about my hilarious (;)) pictures and hair! I will definitely share my suffering on the rogue thread. As I don't have a real mirror, I always make a picture of my hair to see whether I dare to go outside. Needless to say, I have plenty of awful hairstyles gone wrong to share! And I also have to admit, most of the pics I've seen to me look perfectly normal compared to my hair's extravagances. ;)

YGDW
September 4th, 2014, 03:45 PM
YGDW, maybe this list of braided updos (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=124183&p=2756756&viewfull=1#post2756756) (they require only simple English braids) might help.

Just what I needed, thanks! Will probably share results in the hairstyles "gone rogue" thread! ;) But practice makes perfect - I hope!

Even though I never have and never will have that problem of "My ends are SO thick, my buns just spring out all the time", I do understand the fine-hair problem of fuzzy braids 1 hour later, and slippery hair (I have never been able to do a cinnabun or any of those coily ones).

JJJLonghair's pretzel bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElSCHnzYtM8) (and little claw cips) totally saved me from cutting my hair short when I was somewhere around BSL. This style grows with your hair. I can do this style at any length. It's the updo I use when nothing else works and I'm about to punch a hole in my bathroom wall. :blushing: (Oh and my pretzel bun looks nothing like JJJLonghair's! Plus my claw clips were the teeny tiny ones :laugh:)

Oh! Also...I can't put my hair in ANY updo if it is dry. It has to be damp.

Wow, that's a fancy one! I will definitely practice it, yet my gut feeling is that my hair is still a tad short, even without circling the middle like 20 times? But I can always try of course. :) Urges to punch holes in bathroom walls feels familiar by the way. :headache: :lol:

Unfortunately, damp bunning seems to make my hair even heavier, leading to increasing vertical bun movements. Braids do hold better though!

MsBubbles
September 4th, 2014, 07:17 PM
Unfortunately, damp bunning seems to make my hair even heavier, leading to increasing vertical bun movements. Braids do hold better though!

Which brings up a good point about the pretzel bun (and probably some other buns you might learn along the way): the weight is nicely distributed by however many clips you use to hold it. The good thing about this bun (and a load of other ones where you wrap the length around x number of times) is that you can wrap around once if that's all the hair you have, or fifty.

I understand the annoyance of an updo that migrates before you even get out of the bathroom or wherever your mirror is.

Good luck! You will find some 'dos that work, and the utensils to keep them anchored. So much of it is trial and error. After 6 years here I still can't do many of the buns so many people here can do, just because my hair is so slippery.