PDA

View Full Version : Castor oil for dandruff ?

nena_shawty
September 4th, 2014, 11:19 AM
My husband has suffered from severe dandruff for along time. He gets sores on his head, and then they flake off. My question is would a hot oil treatment of castor oil and coconut or olive oil and a scalp massage every other day help clear it up? Has anybody done this with success? Btw the sores are mostly from him scratching his head due to itchiness. He is a pretty clean and hygienic guy. But yea if anybody has a better method to getting rid of dandruff please do share.

veryhairyfairy
September 4th, 2014, 01:49 PM
If he truly only has dry/irritated skin on the scalp, a couple of overnight hot oil treatments would probably really help. I've had dandruff from irritated scalp skin clear up in as little as three treatments when I mixed castor and coconut oil, heavily oiled my scalp, and left it in overnight...
BUT, if he has any kind of fungal dandruff (like SD), there is 'food' in most oils that would actually make it worse!

If in doubt, patch test an inconspicuous spot for several washes and see what happens.
Dandruff sucks, good luck! :)

YGDW
September 4th, 2014, 02:33 PM
I don't know about castor oil (I find it too thick to really be... handy), but I use jojoba or coconut oil on my dry, itchy, acneish, flakish skin, and it really helps. I can imagine it doing similar work on his scalp. Yet, if it's quite bad or annoying, I would consult a doctor first in order to find out what is actually causing this itching.