PDA

View Full Version : 3 week hair growth - WTF?!?

Sarden
September 4th, 2014, 10:58 AM
I've been treating my hair better for maybe a couple of months now but it's safe to say I only really started a proper "regime" a month ago when I made the serious decision to focus on growing my hair. I've been thinking lately that my hair was feeling longer and thinker, but assumed it was just my imagination/wishful thinking. However a colleague commented on it earlier so I decided to take a photo to see for myself....

The photo on the left, I kid you not, was taken on 13th August (I double checked the date stamp twice just to me sure I hadn't made a mistake). The photo on the right was taken today. Same pose, same style (just washed and air dried)

http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p719/sarjden/3weekgrowth_zps9ed6d636.png

HOW HAS THIS HAPPENED?!? Obviously I'm thrilled - my hair is not only longer but looks and feels thicker as well. It's just that I didn't think hair grew this fast? I honestly wasn't expecting to see a difference for a couple of months at least.

Things I've been doing are;

Taking hair supplements
A couple of gelatin protein treatments (one really weak one then when that went well, a proper one)
Camomile tea rinses (only in the last week or so since StellaKatherine told me about it)
Stretching washes to every three days (from every one or two), giving up cones and massaging my scalp when I shampoo
1 honey lightening treatment
Satin pillow

I was really, really horrible to my hair before - daily blow dry and GHDs, so Im thinking that the thickness might be partly my hair breaking less?

Anyway, I'm obviously not complaining and hope this continues - I just really wanted to share with you, I'm so excited!

Anje
September 4th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Holy cow! That's impressive!

I've had one or two occasions of crazy hair growth myself, for reasons I never actually sorted out. It happens, and it's awesome when it does. :)

If I had to guess, I'd say it's probably feeling thicker because of the gelatin treatments. That sort of thing tends to make hair more voluminous and can be great so long as you don't overdo it.

eshta
September 4th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Wow, it looks like you gained at least an inch. Lucky you!

jeanniet
September 4th, 2014, 12:11 PM
I'm with Anje--sometimes hair will grow a lot in a short amount of time for no apparent reason. A couple years ago I grew 3" in about six weeks. I wasn't doing anything different, and I don't take supplements for growth. It just grew. I think for some people hair growth is very consistent and for others it varies quite a bit, and it's probably due more to genetics than anything else.

PurpleSunshine
September 4th, 2014, 12:17 PM
I've had that happen too, wish it would happen more though. It would certainly help on my way to knee length and beyond.

EarthArtist
September 4th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Wow!! It looks so much thicker too! Whatever you are doing keep it up! :joy:

StellaKatherine
September 4th, 2014, 12:31 PM
WoW! Your hair looks truely amazing!!! And what a result! WOW! I just started taking some vitamins as well, but curious about gelatin protein treatment. Never had one ... :hmm: I shall go and read about it more. Youtube here I come :D

momschicklets
September 4th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Well if the photos are really from the dates you say, then there's no question you have had a fabulous bonus of growth! What a lovely surprise for you....I'm jealous!! Anyone else had something like this happen?? I suppose you'll never really know the reason...but in the end, with all that growth, who cares???

gthlvrmx
September 4th, 2014, 12:48 PM
How impressive! Congratulations you can really tell the difference! :)

Sarden
September 4th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Momschicklets - here s the original photo with the date stamp. Like I said, I could barely believe it myself and had to check twice. I really had thought it had felt longer but had just thought I imagined it until my colleague mentioned it today.

http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p719/sarjden/e4f4f98fa85aab056e619ee294832a0b_zps6396417a.jpg

Sarden
September 4th, 2014, 01:00 PM
StellaKatherine - I did a really weak one first, as recommended. It went quite well so I did another one that was stronger. I didn't notice too much difference at the time but I guess as anje said, it could be the reason for the increased thickness.

Thanks everyone, I feel very lucky for my mega growth spurt!

Johannah
September 4th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Congrats!! Wish this would happen to me as well :D

Johannah
September 4th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Congrats!! Wish this would happen to me as well :D

GL
September 4th, 2014, 03:30 PM
congratulations! Your growth will be my motivator!

momschicklets
September 4th, 2014, 03:38 PM
Momschicklets - here s the original photo with the date stamp. Like I said, I could barely believe it myself and had to check twice. I really had thought it had felt longer but had just thought I imagined it until my colleague mentioned it today.

http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p719/sarjden/e4f4f98fa85aab056e619ee294832a0b_zps6396417a.jpg

Oh yes I believe you!! :toast: You'll have to see what happens in another 3 weeks....wouldn't it be great if it happened again? :happydance:

MsPharaohMoan
September 4th, 2014, 04:15 PM
You can tell in the first photo you have a blunt hemline, and then in the second it's suddenly u-shaped! Cool. Post back in another 3 weeks? :p ;)

FallingDarkness
September 4th, 2014, 04:21 PM
I am SO JEALOUS of that amazing hair growth. I'd be lucky to get that in, like, 2 months. LOL.

Congrats though, and keep doing what you're doing because it REALLY seems to be working. :P

Sarahlabyrinth
September 4th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Woohoo! Well done! Your hair looks amazing. I hope my hair decides to do this :)

Sarden
September 5th, 2014, 01:39 AM
You can tell in the first photo you have a blunt hemline, and then in the second it's suddenly u-shaped! Cool. Post back in another 3 weeks? :p ;)

Yes I had noticed this as well - in the first pic I hadn't long since had my hair trimmed and I asked for straight across, which she did. This has happened to my hair before - my hair seems to naturally grow into this shape. Does this mean the middle/back part of my hair grows quicker?!? I wouldn't be surprised if so - my hair at the back has always been much thicker and denser, whereas I'm thinner and finer on the sides (it's so fine you can we scalp at the temples). I've always assumed that this is the cause of the natural u shape when my hair grows?

I've been thinking about this overnight and I've come to the personal conclusion that my hair is just very happy with all the nice things I'm suddenly doing and that has caused this crazy growth spurt - kind of like my hair is breathing a sigh of relief! I hope it will last but I bet it won't! I will of course post pictures in another three weeks to see!

LadyCelestina
September 5th, 2014, 02:02 AM
To me that looks like an U hemline even in the first pic.OP is an ii which means the U could be from temple hairs with shorter terminals or broke off.

I think this growth spurt pic is quite valid,I don't see any head tilting,different curl pattern,over-estimating or any other popular growth tricks :P

Anyway congrats! It looks like you really went from one milestone to another in 3 weeks,OP :cheer:

Sarden
September 5th, 2014, 10:30 AM
I found another pic on my phone from 27th Aug... The thing is, it's NOT a length shot - I was trying to take a picture of my crazy braid waves hence me not really taking much notice of the length at the time;

http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p719/sarjden/5c2e0140-a04e-43ab-bac3-7fcf5b22b15a_zpsff0b0e9a.png

When you line it up with the others though, it does kinda show the progression - sorry I know it's difficult to tell with the different angle/pose and the difference wave pattern in the 2nd pic, hence me adding the dotted line to align my 3 different heads!

http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p719/sarjden/3weeks3pics_zpsfc45f2f6.png

And Lady Celestina - yes that's kind of what I was getting at. My hair seems to naturally grow into a u shape because my "side bits" are slower at getting there, probably for the reasons you've mentioned.

Akville
September 5th, 2014, 10:59 AM
oh my God!!! I wish i would have such a growth...!!! fantastic...