PDA

View Full Version : oiled for first time ever

burny
September 3rd, 2014, 07:45 PM
Washed about 3weeks ago. and today I picked up some coconut oil. Before oil'ing, I spent about 10 minutes running a bit of water loosely through my hair, just to make it not be dry. Then I warmed the oil a few degrees, so it was nice and runny. Then dipped my finger tips in it, and rubbed hands together, to get the oil spread on my palms. Next I ran my hands through my hair from mid shaft to tip, and repeated the dip+rub to get a bit more oil(so probably about a teaspoon in total). After wards, my hair felt SOOO awesomely soft, I love it.. If this works out well, I might end up washing my hair a lot less often, and just doing this every 1-2weeks.
Wish I tried this years ago! How long after doing this is best to take a photo to share results?

anyone have anything they tried for the first time, and found it to be way better than expected?

Madora
September 3rd, 2014, 07:47 PM
For me it was Mineral Oil. Quite a revelation for detangling and taming frizzies. I only use 4 drops and nothing else. Greatest stuff ever...and dead cheap!

EarthArtist
September 3rd, 2014, 07:54 PM
Try mixing in a few drops of lavender essential oil with the coconut oil. I do this once a week. I like to do a good scalp massage while I'm at it too and leave it on over night. 💖

gthlvrmx
September 3rd, 2014, 08:01 PM
Try mixing in a few drops of lavender essential oil with the coconut oil. I do this once a week. I like to do a good scalp massage while I'm at it too and leave it on over night. ��

I read somewhere on LHC that lavender oil leaves this film on the hair i think that can only be taken out by clarifying it. That's why i didn't use it anymore. Same for grapeseed oil and grapeseed oil works wonders on my hair. If anyone has the link to that discussion where they mention this information about lavender oil and grapeseed oil I'll be more than happy to share that here. :) Baby oil is one of the oils that does not do this (I think) and can be easily taken out with conditioner or shampoo.

Adiro
September 3rd, 2014, 10:22 PM
I am also new at oiling and I am curious about your end results.
I did use lavender ( plus rosemary, thyme, peppermint and cedar ) all essential oils of therapeutic grade, just a few drops, mixed in warm coconut oil.

I kept the oil on for about half a day to overnight.

I found out that while my hair feels very healthy and shiny after, I shed a stupendous amount at the post oil wash ( I do need to shampoo twice)
I am not sure if all the shedding is normal, I would be curious as to what you experience

burny
September 3rd, 2014, 10:34 PM
I am not washing it out, I used a very small amount of oil: , so I would be extremely surprised if it has any affect on my shedding. Sounds like we are applying the oil differently. Like a "leave in conditioner" vs "hot oil treatment". I suppose though, that hair being more slippery, could make already loose hairs come out of the mane more easily? I wouldn't expect that to be more than an extra 5-10 hairs though.

dogzdinner
September 4th, 2014, 01:15 AM
Oiling is abit of a revelation isnt it? I tried argan oil on my hair after washing and it just felt so soft afterwards, I couldnt stop running my fingers through it!
I havent noticed it affecting shedding but then I tend to shed huge great clumps of hair all the time anyways. Might try coconut oil as a prewash treatment next time too.

burny
September 4th, 2014, 08:54 PM
this is what I have about 12hours after washing (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12690&d=1408938980)
and 19days later 24hours after oiling (http://www.anony.ws/i/2014/09/05/burny_oil_24hours.jpg)

milque
September 4th, 2014, 09:54 PM
burny wow your hair is absolutely gorgeous!! Love the defined curls in the first picture :crush:

Ingrid
September 4th, 2014, 11:44 PM
It looks great either way, burny!! After oiling it definitely looks more smoothed down. Are you finding your hair a bit more manageable now?

YGDW
September 5th, 2014, 01:18 AM
That is some hair you have there burny! Glad the oiling worked wonders. :)

The first time oiling really relieved my dry, porous hair. It felt wonderful, and I really could add table spoons of it. When I started doing it more often however, my hair would eventually get more greasy and just nasty. It wouldn't wash out anymore either. Apparently, my hair is in such a good condition now that it doesn't need some much oil anymore? Now I just use one drop of coconut oil on damp hair after I've washed it.

Sarden
September 5th, 2014, 01:25 AM
I am also new at oiling and I am curious about your end results.
I did use lavender ( plus rosemary, thyme, peppermint and cedar ) all essential oils of therapeutic grade, just a few drops, mixed in warm coconut oil.

I kept the oil on for about half a day to overnight.

I found out that while my hair feels very healthy and shiny after, I shed a stupendous amount at the post oil wash ( I do need to shampoo twice)
I am not sure if all the shedding is normal, I would be curious as to what you experience

I posted a thread about this a few weeks back - the first time I oiled my scalp I had a huge shed (well, it was huge for me). I just stick to the lengths now. It works pretty well for me so far though!

And burney - you have gorgeous hair. Glad the oiling is working out so well for you,

Johannah
September 5th, 2014, 02:43 AM
It looks amazing, burny! Glad you've discovered oils! :)

burny
September 5th, 2014, 05:49 AM
Ingrid, I would say that it's easier to detangle(finger comb), but mostly, just feels a lot nicer(softer)... I'd love to just sit home petting it all day instead of going to work lol.
YGDW, thanks for the share, I wouldn't have thought oil build up would last past a washing. I'll have to keep that in mind when I oil again in a few weeks.

Athena61
September 5th, 2014, 07:16 AM
I'm just at the beginning of my journey to healthier hair after a disastrous lifting. I'm transitioning to gray. Anyway, I picked up a really nice product at my local coop store: Nourish Organic rejuvenating Argan Butter. It contains: Shea butter, sunflower seed oil, Argan nut oil, coconut oil, and vitamin E. I use just a pea sized amount rubbed in my palms and distribute evenly on dry hair. It's supposed to be for skin but it works beautifully on my hair.