PDA

View Full Version : Elsa's Hair in Frozen Video

SongofLove
September 3rd, 2014, 06:11 PM
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yeb8D3DF3ns

"When [her hair] is all bunned up, you can think about how she's controlled; she's keeping her feelings and emotions in check so her magic doesn't come out" (quote from the animation supervisor).

I don't know if this video has been shared here before, but I love the concept art of different hairstyles for Elsa (http://youtu.be/Yeb8D3DF3ns?t=50s):inlove:

Do you feel like you're keeping your magic under wraps when your hair is in a bun? :D

RoseofCimarron
September 3rd, 2014, 06:47 PM
Ooh that is a great video, I love it! Thanks for sharing it, SongofLove!

Hair is a very important means to use symbolism in a story. Take Brave for example. Merida is a firey free spirit, and her long, curly, red, loose hair shows that. Queen Elinor is refined and all about rules so her hair is elegantly bound with a gold cord, but at the end of the movie it is worn loose (symbolizing her loosening up, literally! :)). I love little symbols like that, I also love the designer's and costumer's use of color. It's all so cool to me! :D

ETA: Totally missed the question, oops! :lol: I do feel like that sometimes. I know I get the most creative when I have my hair down (or up with a few strands falling in my face), and I know this is probably frowned upon here, but I love taking it down and letting the wind blow it around behind me (now THAT feels magical! :wink:).

tetisheri72
September 3rd, 2014, 06:53 PM
Ooh that is a great video, I love it! Thanks for sharing it, SongofLove!

Hair is a very important means to use symbolism in a story. Take Brave for example. Merida is a firey free spirit, and her long, curly, red, loose hair shows that. Queen Elinor is refined and all about rules so her hair is elegantly bound with a gold cord, but at the end of the movie it is worn loose (symbolizing her loosening up, literally! :)). I love little symbols like that, I also love the designer's and costumer's use of color. It's all so cool to me! :D

I love Brave, and I love the symbolism. But, I just cringe at all the detangling Elinor is going to have to do when she's done on the horse.

Marbid
September 3rd, 2014, 07:13 PM
I guess many of us here in lhc.. Being so aware of our hair in general... Cant help but note the lack of realisim formthe sake of movie magic.

But lets face it... If movies really showed the reality of hair mechanics... Rapunzel would have had to carry her braid around in a basket all the time... Because we all know that no one in their right mind would let that much hair just hang loose.... Unless you want hair like Tran Van Hay....

Entangled
September 4th, 2014, 05:56 AM
Hmm. Well, I don't like the association with buns/bound up hair and confinement much. I get really distracted by my loose hair and always put it up, so I dislike the insinuation that I'm keeping myself trapped. You see this all over; once a previously quiet, rule following, studious girl 'loosens up', she takes her hair out of a very practical bun and wears it shorter and loose. Honestly, I likes Elsa's hair FAR more in her bunned coronation style than in the braid. So, I've noticed the symbolism, but dislike it. I would have preferred it in Brave if Merida had her hair braided in the end to take the middle ground between recklessness (loose) and strict rule following(the hood thing, I've forgotten the term).

So, when it comes to my own 'magic', I don't feel trapped and confined when my hair is up, and free/powerful when it's down. However, I do like that I have secret hair. Nobody knows how long it is!