PDA

View Full Version : Bun for dudes?!

Knifegill
September 2nd, 2014, 09:48 AM
My hair is nowhere near lengthy enough for bunnings, but I do want to protect it when that time comes. Braids are nice but will still rub my shirt collar. Is there something like a bun that guys can get away with?

Madora
September 2nd, 2014, 09:59 AM
Sure! There are many buns..some very easy, some more complicated. The sectioned braided bun is my favorite (waist length and longer hair).

Zesty
September 2nd, 2014, 10:03 AM
Any bun can be a man bun! Be bold! Look around the LHC and see what you like on women's hair. If you feel it's too feminine for how you want to present yourself, maybe try a plainer wooden hair stick or something along those lines. (Or an antler hair stick/fork from Grahtoe Studio on Etsy, that would be totally awesome and plenty "manly.") There are several men on the LHC who rock buns, but I can't think of their names off the top of my head. Maybe someone else can remember and tell you so you can get some inspiration.

Knifegill
September 2nd, 2014, 10:06 AM
Good thoughts. Perhaps a pleasantly manly hair stick would solve it.

Amapola
September 2nd, 2014, 10:56 AM
Check out any of Rowie's posts. His hair is AWESOME and looks absolutely fabulous in many buns. If you go to the Ficcare thread and go back about 6 months you can find lots of pics he posted of various buns with his absolutely amazing collection of Ficcares.

Wearing your hair in a bun if you are a man is totally traditional, by the way. People like the Navajo have been doing it for centuries. Can't get much more manly than a Navajo, now, can you? :) Check it out: Navajo Bun. (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0ln7R_uU3MU)

ETA: Ok, these guys are just goofing around but the plain fact is men have been wearing their hair in buns for centuries and it's VERY manly indeed. The Pueblo tribes also have a tradition of wearing buns, so do many other native peoples. I just happen to think the Navajo Bun video is kinda funny. :D

Anje
September 2nd, 2014, 11:14 AM
Guys can totally get away with buns and make it look good. Frankly, I don't think I've ever seen a bun on a man that didn't look good, and the ones I've seen all looked quite masculine on the wearer. The style lends itself much more equally to all genders than people seem to initially think.

How you accessorize it is up to you, and will probably influence the overall impression. Plain sticks, forks, and Ficcares seem to be the choice for many, but a couple Amish pins buried inside will hold it just as well and keep it looking undecorated.

ETA: Tiny bun on one of my brothers. His hair was shoulder-ish at this point, and just barely long enough. (I believe he was also disco-dancing in this photo. XD)
http://s28.postimg.org/e8ngqvazd/20090822014.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/e8ngqvazd/)

Stormynights
September 2nd, 2014, 11:18 AM
That video is funny. I see more men with long hair around here than women. Here in Oklahoma there are a lot of Native American men with long hair but I have never seen one with a bun.

Amapola
September 2nd, 2014, 11:25 AM
It's something you see here in New Mexico. Just like everywhere some people are more traditional than others, and truth is, the bun is very comfortable to wear. So you still see some of the Pueblo peoples wearing it, or the occasional Navajo, depending what part of the state you are in.

AmyBeth
September 2nd, 2014, 11:31 AM
I don't think you should even worry about it! The first time I ever saw a man wearing a bun was in 1978 when I went to a Frank Zappa concert and Frank had his hair in a bun. I was surprised at how good it looked and didn't think it looked feminine at all. IMO, when a woman wears a bun, it's feminine, and when a man wears a bun, it looks masculine. That simple. Just don't adorn them with baby's breath or Hello Kitty barrettes and you should be good to go:p.

ghost
September 2nd, 2014, 11:46 AM
I've seen a lot of dudes wearing buns, everything from a simple nape bun to more elaborate braided buns with hair sticks. It looks really cool IMHO.

browneyedsusan
September 2nd, 2014, 11:47 AM
Position the bun a little higher than your shirt collar, and rock it.

IMHO a plain stick or a big, old gutter nail--sanded smooth, of course--would be super cool!

Man buns are fabulous. Even here in the Midwest, you could totally fly under the radar with one.

gthlvrmx
September 2nd, 2014, 12:00 PM
Try a simple nautilus bun. Here's a video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34
The pencil bun is basically a nautilus. You can use 2 fingers instead of your whole hand for the flipping part.
Any bun can be used by males really it's a bun! You'll be fine :)

meliel
September 2nd, 2014, 02:14 PM
I don't think you should even worry about it! The first time I ever saw a man wearing a bun was in 1978 when I went to a Frank Zappa concert and Frank had his hair in a bun. I was surprised at how good it looked and didn't think it looked feminine at all. IMO, when a woman wears a bun, it's feminine, and when a man wears a bun, it looks masculine. That simple. Just don't adorn them with baby's breath or Hello Kitty barrettes and you should be good to go:p.

:thud:

Oh my dear god... Not on the topic of this thread but I am very, very jealous that you had the honour of seeing Zappa live... One of my greatest wishes is to have been born when Zappa was still touring. Goodness, I missed out. I really wish he was still alive today... Do you realise how lucky you are? You are incredibly lucky, don't forget!!!

PrincessBob
September 2nd, 2014, 02:54 PM
My beautifully bearded spouse (we call him Snuggles around here) wears a simple cinnabun often.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/Princess_Bob/hair/DSCN9156_zps21a14a22.jpg

Make a ponytail in your hands, then twist it and allow it to coil around itself, tuck the ends under the center of the bun. Then secure it with a hair fork, stick, or u-pins, by inserting the tips perpendicular to your scalp on one edge of the bun then pivoting the point along your scalp until it is parallel and push it through the bun and (if long enough) out the far side of the bun. Repeat with remaining stick or pins arranging them to balance the weigh of the bun and provide enough gentle tension to hold the style. Sometimes you can even just wrap a ponytail holder around the base, but this method tends to loosen up pretty quick.

Zesty
September 13th, 2014, 01:45 PM
I'm just going to leave this here...

http://elitedaily.com/women/man-bun-everything-right-now/

None of these look especially hair-friendly, but yeah. Man buns!

Wildcat Diva
September 13th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Use a spin pin by Goody (available at Walmart) for securing it if you want to. They are very hair friendly.

ponyguy
September 13th, 2014, 04:58 PM
I wear buns all the time using a couple of spin pins (they're kinda like hair screws....that's masculine, right?). I've never really gotten used to hairsticks (they always seem to get caught on things or jostled around on me). A lot of the hipsters here in the Midwest have started wearing buns/knots, so no one even looks twice at mine anymore.