PDA

View Full Version : How should I wash my hair?

LipstickGirl
September 2nd, 2014, 09:12 AM
My hair is 2a, more or less, and mostly medium sized strands, with fine ones in the underlayer and some coarse ones that pop up. It's pretty dry too, I need a moisturizing shampoo/ conditioner or it all goes to hell. I'm currently just washing with shampoo and conditioner, but I've always hated how the day of my shower my hair is very fluffy and weightless,and my 'halo' of hairs is even more noticeable. It has to have a night of sleeping on it to calm it down. Would some variety of co washing work to combat this? Or is it another issue, like more protein/ moisture is needed?

prettyinpink
September 2nd, 2014, 09:16 AM
This may sound nuts, but have you tried washing your hair with raw egg, following up by an ACV rinse? You can do a pre oil treatment, and the egg should remove the oil well. For moisture you can try a drop of conditioner as a leave in conditioner, like aussie moist. It works well for me, although I know we have different hair types

Good luck (: Hope I helped!

LipstickGirl
September 2nd, 2014, 09:30 AM
This may sound nuts, but have you tried washing your hair with raw egg, following up by an ACV rinse? You can do a pre oil treatment, and the egg should remove the oil well. For moisture you can try a drop of conditioner as a leave in conditioner, like aussie moist. It works well for me, although I know we have different hair types

Good luck (: Hope I helped!

Ooh interesting! I'm not averse to anything right now, I've only ever done a conventional S&C. How would one do an egg wash? Just a raw egg rubbed through the hair? All of it, or just the length/scalp?

lapushka
September 2nd, 2014, 09:30 AM
You could try curly girl, or a modified curly girl (shampoo instead of CO). You are wavy, so your waves might benefit. More here:
http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

LipstickGirl
September 2nd, 2014, 09:39 AM
I have hair that is just wavy, not properly wavy or straight, so it can be really annoying. As my hair's got longer the waves have straightened themselves out, and the longer I leave it in between washings the straighter it'll become. Frizz is a big problem, so maybe the CG method would work. How would one use shampoo instead of conditioner in the CG method?

Zesty
September 2nd, 2014, 09:59 AM
It sounds like we have really similar hair types. Mine is also between wavy and straight, fluffs/frizzes up after washing, and gets straighter the farther I get from a wash. There are a lot of things you could try. In the interest of only changing one thing at a time, maybe you could try smoothing some oil on damp hair? I lightly oil from the ears down with jojoba oil after I take my hair out of my turbie twist and that seems to make it far more similar to prettier second day hair without making it greasy or weighing it down. I don't know what your current products are like (sulfates? cones?) but it works for me after using a gentle, moisturizing sulfate-free shampoo designed for curly hair and following up with a moisturizing silicone-free conditioner. Even if it doesn't work with your current products, it might be something to consider after you make other, gradual changes. Just remember, try one thing at a time, and give it a chance for a few weeks. If you change everything at once it's hard to know what worked/didn't work.

I don't think you can see profiles or send private messages yet, but once you can, you should hit me up and we can talk. :) There's also a 2a F thread that might be helpful to look through, even if not all of your hair is fine.

LipstickGirl
September 2nd, 2014, 10:06 AM
Ooh thanks Zesty! My hair is definitely nicest second or even third day after washing, so the oil sounds great. I'm currently using the Naked line of products which are sulphate and silicone free (although I didn't choose them because of that, more because they looked gentle and moisturizing.)

Is there a particular type of shampoo that works for curly hair?

And you're right, I don't have my 25 posts yet, but as soon as I do I'll contact you! Thanks for the offer!

Zesty
September 2nd, 2014, 10:12 AM
Ooh thanks Zesty! My hair is definitely nicest second or even third day after washing, so the oil sounds great. I'm currently using the Naked line of products which are sulphate and silicone free (although I didn't choose them because of that, more because they looked gentle and moisturizing.)

Is there a particular type of shampoo that works for curly hair?

And you're right, I don't have my 25 posts yet, but as soon as I do I'll contact you! Thanks for the offer!
You might want to look up the Curly Girl method. I didn't find that strict CG worked for me, but it's good to have that knowledge, and CO works for loads of people. The shampoo I personally use is labeled as being for "thick and curly" hair, but it works great for my semi-thick, slightly wavy hair, not to mention my dry scalp. It's SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus shampoo, and it's in the "ethnic" hair care section in drugstores and such. But if the only thing you dislike about your current products is the fluffiness, then again, I'd recommend trying the oil. Good luck and I hope you get to your 25 posts soon so we can chat. :)

lapushka
September 2nd, 2014, 10:13 AM
I have hair that is just wavy, not properly wavy or straight, so it can be really annoying. As my hair's got longer the waves have straightened themselves out, and the longer I leave it in between washings the straighter it'll become. Frizz is a big problem, so maybe the CG method would work. How would one use shampoo instead of conditioner in the CG method?

I do a modified CG (links are in my signature, for both washing & styling). :)

Zesty
September 2nd, 2014, 10:14 AM
Oh also, prettyinpink mentioned egg washes. In the winter I do sometimes wash my hair with egg yolk, olive oil, and conditioner, and it works really well for me, so if that's something you're interested in it could be a potentially fruitful experiment.

diddiedaisy
September 2nd, 2014, 10:31 AM
I'm a 2a i/ii. I think this type of hair is weightless, which means your wispys will float about and defy gravity!!! 2a is also prone to frizziness as with any curly hair. When I've washed I apply serum to my hair from the ears down. This gives it a bit of weight and does wonders for the frizz. I also leave it to dry naturally, as it helps with the curl. They completely collapse into rats tails if they see a hair dryer. As for the hairs that stick up on the top of the head, well, I haven't found an answer for them. They are very stubborn.

LipstickGirl
September 2nd, 2014, 10:35 AM
I'm a 2a i/ii. I think this type of hair is weightless, which means your wispys will float about and defy gravity!!! 2a is also prone to frizziness as with any curly hair. When I've washed I apply serum to my hair from the ears down. This gives it a bit of weight and does wonders for the frizz. I also leave it to dry naturally, as it helps with the curl. They completely collapse into rats tails if they see a hair dryer. As for the hairs that stick up on the top of the head, well, I haven't found an answer for them. They are very stubborn.

Diddiedaisy, what serum do you use? Ones I've tried before have made my hair quite sticky or greasy looking. Thinking back, that's probably because of the 'cones in them.

Nadine <3
September 2nd, 2014, 11:05 AM
I also suggest you try egg washes! I love them, I haven't washed with anything but egg yolk is over a month! I use 1 egg yolk, a bit of water, and a few squirts of honey, and some essential oils for scent. I use this just as you would a shampoo, sometimes following up with a conditioner. I love it! Makes my hair SOOOO soft.

LipstickGirl
September 2nd, 2014, 11:28 AM
Oooh, egg washes sound quite promising then. Would they wash out a pre wash treatment, i.e. oil/ deep conditioner, or dip you need the big guns for that?

animetor7
September 2nd, 2014, 12:49 PM
You might try using some sort of oil or light gel after you wash while damp. CO could also help. But this also just may be what your hair does after a wash. My hair is always ridiculously slippery on the day of a wash it won't stay in anything. It's not something that's really fixable, it's just part of how my hair is. I think part of using LHC methods is learning to love your natural hair, and tolerate what it does that you don't like so much.