PDA

View Full Version : Hair acted like it needed moisture, but...

TSwan
September 2nd, 2014, 08:47 AM
It really needed protein!

For the last few weeks, my hair has been pretty rough feeling, and snapping off all over the place...

So I did the wet hair-snap test, and it snapped almost immediately, which I am pretty sure is the sign for needing moisture...so for the last few weeks I have been just using moisture-rich products, to no avail. Finally yesterday, I tried out a protein-y conditioner and my hair feels soft and smooth again!

I'm glad I finally figured it out...but I was just wondering what could cause that?
For the snap test to tell me one thing, but I really need the exactly opposite? Did I do it wrong?

Johannah
September 2nd, 2014, 08:53 AM
I've been through the exact same thing. My hair gave signs it needed moisture which I gave, and then I over moisturized my hair. Protein was my last hope and it saved it. Right now I use protein twice a week in my conditioner. Works amazingly well.

Everyone's hair is different. Your hair (and mine for that matter) can give 'signs' it needs more moisture but it wants protein, while someone else's hair does the opposite. Those tests are based on general conclusions and are black-and-white. You can use them as an extra to know what your hair wants, but in the end you just need to know your own hair and how it reacts on certain things.

So no, there's nothing wrong with your hair and you've done nothing wrong with the test either.

meteor
September 2nd, 2014, 12:13 PM
Yes, this is not that rare actually! Protein IS a humectant, too. Hydrolyzed proteins temporarily patch-repair gaps in hair's cuticles, adsorb to hair and help hair hold onto more moisture! If your hair comes out full, shiny and moisturized after a hydrolyzed protein treatment, you used the right type/amount of protein!

I consider proteins to be some of the best ingredients to be found in conditioners, leave-ins and shampoos. The only warning I'd give is not to go overboard with protein, not to use heavy protein packs too frequently (every month or two is my magic number, but it's highly individual) and to find the right kinds of proteins - they are highly diverse and some might be too large or too small for your hair.

Also, the more damaged the hair, the more likely it is to benefit from hydrolyzed proteins, because there is more damage to patch-repair and more missing "building blocks" to replace with protein.

If you are interested in protein, I highly recommend reading this: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2013/09/more-about-protein.html

milque
September 2nd, 2014, 12:50 PM
Interesting that protein acts as a humectant and can hold onto moisture. I've always thought protein have the tendency to be drying until recently.

My hair has been acting like OP's and I thought it was lacking in moisture too, so I went a bit crazy with the oiling and SMTs, unknowingly making it worse. Someone recommended doing a protein treatment and when I did, my hair was markedly better. It felt moisturised and there's significantly less breakage. I'm planning to do it once every two weeks or so to prevent overload.

Anyhoo, TSwan, glad your hair is better now! Goes to show that proper haircare is full of surprises, and what works for others may do the exact opposite for you.

jackie_rapunzel
September 2nd, 2014, 07:47 PM
Can someone explain to me what conditioner with protein is? I've never heard of this and it sounds like this may be what my hair needs.

Thank you.

TSwan
September 2nd, 2014, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the replies! It's good to know that my hair just has a funny way of showing what it needs :p

And that's really interesting about protein acting like a humectant, I never knew that!

Ingrid
September 2nd, 2014, 09:17 PM
Yep, I had the same experience, a couple of months ago. Ended up over-moisturising my hair so it became even drier. Thankfully I discovered hydrolyzed protein and now my hair feels much better :D I'm glad it worked for you too!!!

meteor
September 2nd, 2014, 09:21 PM
Can someone explain to me what conditioner with protein is? I've never heard of this and it sounds like this may be what my hair needs.

Thank you.

Look for "hydrolyzed" in your conditioner's ingredients lists. For a very strong protein treatment, hydrolyzed proteins should be in top 5-7 ingredients. If proteins are listed after fragrance, they are probably just a marketing trick and don't expect them to have a noticeable effect.
http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/01/proteins-humectants-and-conesoh-my.html
"Cocodimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed casein
Cocodimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed collagen
Cocodimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed hair keratin
Cocodimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed keratin
Cocodimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed rice protein
Cocodimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed silk
Cocodimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed soy protein
Cocodimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed wheat protein
Cocodimonium hydroxypropyl silk amino acids
Cocoyl hydrolyzed collagen
Cocoyl hydrolyzed keratin
Hydrolyzed keratin
Hydrolyzed oat flour
Hydrolyzed silk
Hydrolyzed silk protein
Hydrolyzed soy protein
Hydrolyzed wheat protein
Hydrolyzed wheat protein
Keratin
Potassium cocoyl hydrolyzed collagen
TEA-cocoyl hydrolyzed collagen
TEA-cocoyl hydrolyzed soy protein"

You can also do a DIY natural hydrolyzed protein treatment using gelatin (dilute one pack of Knox gelatin in half-a-cup of hot water + conditioner), or beer, or soy sauce or (possibly) yogurt. Fermentation breaks up protein so creates "hydrolyzed" protein that some people benefit from.
http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html

jackie_rapunzel
September 3rd, 2014, 08:04 PM
Look for "hydrolyzed" in your conditioner's ingredients lists. For a very strong protein treatment, hydrolyzed proteins should be in top 5-7 ingredients. If proteins are listed after fragrance, they are probably just a marketing trick and don't expect them to have a noticeable effect.
http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/01/proteins-humectants-and-conesoh-my.html
"Cocodimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed casein
Cocodimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed collagen
Cocodimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed hair keratin
Cocodimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed keratin
Cocodimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed rice protein
Cocodimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed silk
Cocodimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed soy protein
Cocodimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed wheat protein
Cocodimonium hydroxypropyl silk amino acids
Cocoyl hydrolyzed collagen
Cocoyl hydrolyzed keratin
Hydrolyzed keratin
Hydrolyzed oat flour
Hydrolyzed silk
Hydrolyzed silk protein
Hydrolyzed soy protein
Hydrolyzed wheat protein
Hydrolyzed wheat protein
Keratin
Potassium cocoyl hydrolyzed collagen
TEA-cocoyl hydrolyzed collagen
TEA-cocoyl hydrolyzed soy protein"

You can also do a DIY natural hydrolyzed protein treatment using gelatin (dilute one pack of Knox gelatin in half-a-cup of hot water + conditioner), or beer, or soy sauce or (possibly) yogurt. Fermentation breaks up protein so creates "hydrolyzed" protein that some people benefit from.
http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html

You are a god send.

Thank you!

Adiro
September 3rd, 2014, 10:48 PM
How interesting!!!! I think I need it too!!!!
Darn, not one of my conditioners has protein!!!!
My "protein" treatment used to be a beaten egg, haha, that probably doesnt work.
but gelatin, beer, yougurt and soy sauce, I could do that and hopefully my DH woun't think that I am cooking dinner :) I actually can't wait to try!!!

Ingrid
September 3rd, 2014, 11:05 PM
How interesting!!!! I think I need it too!!!!
Darn, not one of my conditioners has protein!!!!
My "protein" treatment used to be a beaten egg, haha, that probably doesnt work.
but gelatin, beer, yougurt and soy sauce, I could do that and hopefully my DH woun't think that I am cooking dinner :) I actually can't wait to try!!!

Gelatin works a treat for me! :o

Knifegill
September 4th, 2014, 12:06 AM
Interesting that protein acts as a humectant and can hold onto moisture. I've always thought protein have the tendency to be drying until recently.

I read that coarse hair rarely if ever needs protein, that protein will make coarse hair more wiry.

milque
September 4th, 2014, 05:50 AM
I read that coarse hair rarely if ever needs protein, that protein will make coarse hair more wiry.

I read that too, which is why I'm really careful with it. But I think my hair likes certain types of protein (the smaller ones) in small doses. :)

Akville
September 4th, 2014, 01:23 PM
I use all kinds of stuff always reading the label, but cant ever feel the difference between those with moister and those with protein...

jackie_rapunzel
September 4th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Sooooo protein is harder to find than I thought. I searched through all the grocery store's product and finally found one by Biosilk - Silk Therapy or something like that?
Anyway, it seemed to work well. My hair is still drying from the shower but I'm pretty protein is exactly what it needed~

Thanks for the advice and input, y'all!

meteor
September 4th, 2014, 07:10 PM
Sooooo protein is harder to find than I thought. I searched through all the grocery store's product and finally found one by Biosilk - Silk Therapy or something like that?
Anyway, it seemed to work well. My hair is still drying from the shower but I'm pretty protein is exactly what it needed~

Thanks for the advice and input, y'all!

It's funny how it's always the stuff we need the most that's hard to find. I know people who don't like protein complain how hard it is to find protein-free products! :)

In the future, if you can't find a good protein product, you can simply mix a packet of Knox gelatin in half-a-cup of hot water, add your favorite moisturizing conditioner to it, oils (optional) and honey (optional) and use that as your protein pack.

But I hope the Biosilk will work beautifully for you! :D

leilani
September 5th, 2014, 11:36 AM
This just happened to me this week! Amazing results from the sciencey hair blog recipe, which is half a cup of hot water, a tablespoon of gelatin, and a teaspoon of honey and a teaspoon of acv. I clarified, applied hot, let it sit five minutes, rinsed well, then gobs of conditioner. You don't necessarily want to mix the two steps if you want the maximum patch repair effect from the protein. I've heard and been pleased with the advice to follow up with conditioner.

DarleneH
September 12th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Doesn't coconut oil add protein to your hair? That might be more easily obtained than trying to find a conditioner with it.

meteor
September 12th, 2014, 08:40 PM
Doesn't coconut oil add protein to your hair? That might be more easily obtained than trying to find a conditioner with it.

That's a very common misconception: coconut oil prevents protein loss from hair (to a degree), when hair is cleansed, bleached, or otherwise undergoes some potentially damaging treatments. So it penetrates hair and binds to keratin of your hair. It doesn't add new protein. All pure oils are 100% oils, i.e. they don't have any proteins.

When we are talking about hydrolyzed protein treatments, we mean the kinds of treatments that add broken up small proteins to patch-repair hair temporarily.

Of course, since hair is dead, it's better not to lose hair keratin (which is why coconut oil and other treatments are helpful) than to later temporarily patch-repair by adding some hydrolyzed keratin (or other proteins)... that will be washed away pretty soon anyway. Think of hair as fine silk - any damage will be permanent, but it's possible to mask it and baby it.

HTH! :flower:

Adiro
September 12th, 2014, 11:38 PM
Meteor, thank you so much for the gelatin recipe!!!
and thank you to the the thread author, I just tried shampoo and cond with protein, and no sulphate and no silicones for the first time, and the improvement in how my hair looks is huge,after just one try!

meteor
September 13th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Yay! I'm so happy it worked for you, Adiro! :happydance:
You might want to keep doing this from time to time if you feel that your hair needs it - for example every few washes.
Also, eating gelatin is great for skin, nails and hair: due to collagen of course! :D

Nordlilja
September 14th, 2014, 07:58 AM
meteor, I am trying your gelatin treatment right now! I mixed with warm water only, and will condition afterwards. Right now, hair feels sticky and straw-like, but I guess water cures that. Would NOT detangle at the moment, thoug...

meteor
September 14th, 2014, 09:06 AM
meteor, I am trying your gelatin treatment right now! I mixed with warm water only, and will condition afterwards. Right now, hair feels sticky and straw-like, but I guess water cures that. Would NOT detangle at the moment, thoug...

:) Well, it's not my invention - gelatin recipes have been popular for a loooong time.
Certainly don't try to detangle or mess with your hair in any way while the gelatin is in - it's really hard and you can break/damage hair if you mess with it before you wash it off. If you want, you can put some of that mixture on your face (it's a popular mask for oily skin) and you'll actually feel how stiff it becomes.
Rinse it off very very, well and always follow up with a LOT of moisturizing conditioner (esp. rich in oils and humectants - honey, glycerin, aloe).
I really hope it works well for you! :)

ExpectoPatronum
September 14th, 2014, 11:09 AM
My hair does the same thing! It acts like it needs moisture all the time and that's what I do, but then I use something with protein and I realize that my hair feels and looks better.

To combat this, I do a gelatin and honey protein treatment about once every three or four weeks. My hair loves those! However, my hair is very finicky with protein and if I do the protein treatment even a day too soon, my hair gets angry. I also can't use anything containing protein on the same day or else it's just too much. I swear, finding the right protein/moisture balance is an adventure.

martyna_22
September 14th, 2014, 11:14 AM
When I wanted to do a gelatin treatment, I dissolved a spoonful of gelatin in flaxseed gel :) I made it rather dense and it worked really nice.
How often would you any of you suggest doing a treatment? Protein is a new territory for me as well :) I'd appreciate any advice.

ExpectoPatronum
September 14th, 2014, 11:17 AM
When I wanted to do a gelatin treatment, I dissolved a spoonful of gelatin in flaxseed gel :) I made it rather dense and it worked really nice.
How often would you any of you suggest doing a treatment? Protein is a new territory for me as well :) I'd appreciate any advice.

Hey there!

It really depends on your hair's needs. Some people can do protein treatments fairly often, some can't. The best way to find out how often you should do it is by experimentation. Personally, I would start off with less often as opposed to more often as protein overload can result in some icky feeling hair.

I know some people on the board will do a protein treatment one week, and then a moisturizing treatment the next week to keep things in balance. You may have luck with that as well.

meteor
September 14th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Martyna_22, I do it only once every couple months or so, because I'm pretty lazy, and, on my hair, I wouldn't do it more often than once a month or so. The effect lasts for a few washes.
The strength and frequency of treatment is pretty individual. Damaged/porous and textured hair is more likely to need a protein boost from time to time.
Also, if you used too strong a treatment, just stop using protein for a while, and use more moisturizing conditioners (rich in emollients and humectants) to restore the balance. :)

leilani
September 14th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Every 2 week or even less often should be great... protein followed by an SMT is super!

martyna_22
September 14th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Thank you all for your responses, ExpectoPatronum, meteor and leilani :) I'm off to the university soon, so I might not be able to do weird treatments with my roomate too often, but I'll try to experiment anyway :D