View Full Version : In anticipation of winter...

LipstickGirl
September 1st, 2014, 12:09 PM
How does everyone cope with their hair in the winter? I'm in England (specifically, Leeds for university) and it can get really cold, cold enough to need a woolly hat. Before LHC, I just put my hair into a low ponytail or left it loose (it was about BSL length, same as it is now.) But I a) now want to grow my hair, so updos seem a good idea to protect it, and b) I anticipate that by December here my hair will be long enough that I won't want it loose. Even now I prefer it in a bun with spin pins.

What's the solution?

missblueeyes
September 1st, 2014, 12:13 PM
When going outside, I'd probably put my hair in a high cinnabun / messy bun and hide it under a beanie or I'd braid it and keep the braid inside my coat. Wearing it open is dreadful, especially when it snows. I get tangles for ages.

YGDW
September 1st, 2014, 12:18 PM
I always wear it in a braid (or 2), and then wear my braid in my coat as well. Sometimes I wear a bun in the (large, insulated) hood of my coat.

Viola88
September 1st, 2014, 12:21 PM
I wear a bun with this: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTcalorimetry.html If it's super cold, I'll wear a hooded coat, too.

StellaKatherine
September 1st, 2014, 12:26 PM
I am scared of a winter time as well.. Here it can easily go down to -35C.... Air is extrimelt dry and my hair goes static like crazy... I think I will have my hair in a single braid while outside and hiding under my coat and then I wold put it up with the hair sticks/forks/ficcare when at work/home and such.

bunzfan
September 1st, 2014, 12:27 PM
How does everyone cope with their hair in the winter? I'm in England (specifically, Leeds for university) and it can get really cold, cold enough to need a woolly hat. Before LHC, I just put my hair into a low ponytail or left it loose (it was about BSL length, same as it is now.) But I a) now want to grow my hair, so updos seem a good idea to protect it, and b) I anticipate that by December here my hair will be long enough that I won't want it loose. Even now I prefer it in a bun with spin pins.

What's the solution?

Not that far away from you being in Lancashire i normally wear a low bun so that hat can comfortably sit over it i find the oval bun particularly good as it holds all day long and being braided it is far more secure oval bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysyq-w96AWg) this year i will probably live in this style log roll (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7XKBUtl7O0)if your hair is long enough for a braided a folded braid is a good option folded braid

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l47CpIiCB80)

You could also just do a nice French braid thats good for fitting under a hat and i took the tail of mine under my coat, a folded French or dutch braid is very secure.

JustPam
September 1st, 2014, 12:36 PM
Knitted headbands are a good shout, or a baggy wooly hat if you want full head coverage, I wear one and I can put my hair up in a bun inside it and it looks no different.

DweamGoiL
September 1st, 2014, 12:48 PM
I wear a knitted hooded scarf/cowl. It gives me the greatest flexibility with hairstyles, no static, and keeps me cozy.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/9e/ab/2f/9eab2fe7bc4b16c22b0a8da20ead0912.jpg

Madora
September 1st, 2014, 12:53 PM
While it doesn't get freezing cold here in the Bay Area, I usually wear a headscarf to keep my head warm.

If your hair is armpit length, you might want to try Lilith Moon's accent 2 strand rope braid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ&list=UUeRF3k69cJnxB87lwk9KbrA

It is important that in very cold weather ALL your hair is protected. If you prefer to wear it down, then try this protective style:

1) Gently detangle all hair
2) Part it in two sections
3) Take the right section and bring it around the back of the neck so that it lies flat on your chest on the left side
4) Take the left section and bring it around the back of the neck so that it lies flat on your chest on the right side

Cover with heavy coat or jacket.

Your hair is protected and is comfortable too...and no pony tail damage to worry about either!

StellaKatherine
September 1st, 2014, 12:56 PM
I wear a knitted hooded scarf/cowl. It gives me the greatest flexibility with hairstyles, no static, and keeps me cozy.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/9e/ab/2f/9eab2fe7bc4b16c22b0a8da20ead0912.jpg

That is cute, But for real winter need to cower the forehead as well ;) But I am considering making one of those for less cold days :D

LipstickGirl
September 1st, 2014, 01:29 PM
Thank you all for the great suggestions! I'm not great at hair styles yet (a ponytail, French pleat and uber basic bun are my limit thus far) so I must start learning. I had more or less this same problem in the summer, when on holiday overseas and wanting to wear a floppy hat, but put my hair up too...

Creagan
September 1st, 2014, 05:31 PM
Generally I find that my coat is probably the most damaging aspect of winter. Snow makes my hair look pretty, like rain does. But the coat generates hair-static, snarls the hair if left down, and likes to catch strands in the zipper.

To combat this, I never detangle my hair with anything plastic. Either my wide tooth horn comb or a bamboo brush (which I use exclusively for parting detangled hair.) Then I either braid my hair or use a hair-slide to stick it in a half-bun. The braid has to hang outside of the coat, at the front, otherwise it mats. If my hair is wet, I'll tuck the braid inside of a cotton scarf I knit a year ago to keep it from freezing solid. (It has to be cotton. I'm allergic to wool and synthetic fibers.)

If my hair still manages to get staticy or tangled, I detangle it with my comb, wet my hands a bit, and run them through my hair before I go outside again.

jupiterinleo
September 1st, 2014, 05:38 PM

WOW, I AM KIND OF OBSESSED WITH THIS. I need to re-learn knitting again so I can make one of these.

Currently, what I do is wear two English braids and a knit hat. If it's really wet or windy I oil my braids and keep them in my coat. They tend to get caught on the zipper this way, though.

chen bao jun
September 1st, 2014, 05:46 PM
I bun or faux crown braid my hair (use shorter hairstick with a bun), put on a satin sleep cap and then pull a warm knitted hat over it. the satin sleep cap helps avoid my hair drying out and also helps because I'm sensitive to wool.

ghost
September 1st, 2014, 11:15 PM
I usually just keep it braided, but I always moisturize and seal my hair before braiding. It's dry throughout the year, but crazy dry in winter. If it's too cold or windy, I wrap a cowl scarf around my neck and head, and tuck the braid inside that. It looks fine and keeping my hair inside my scarf keeps me extra warm.

animetor7
September 2nd, 2014, 01:39 AM
I just keep my hair up and out of the way of sweaters and other snaggy materials. I also have several large hats that I put over my bun. However this fall I want to make some knitted headbands and might need to start that cowl/scarf thingie as it looks really cozy! But the main thing I do for winter is just moisturize and practice benign neglect all winter. It doesn't get so cold in Seattle, but 40 degrees and raining can still be pretty miserable. However where my parents live can easily be -30 F and there is often lots of snow, so there I mostly stay inside or majorly bundle up to go out!

Nachtschatten
September 2nd, 2014, 04:01 AM
I just wear a warm beanie hat. It works with updoes as well as with braids or hang-down hairstyles. I always wear my hair inside my coat. The only disadvantage: it doesn't work with sticks. :-(
It just looks weird and awful when the sticks stick out from the hat and it's difficult to take the hat down. Aside from that, it's perfect.

Angela_Rose
September 2nd, 2014, 05:02 AM
If I am wearing my woolen cap, I put it up into a crown braid and then put on the hat over it. If j am wearing my Mongolian hat, it's a braid or two, pinned low on my head.

lapushka
September 2nd, 2014, 05:34 AM
I wear a bun with this: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTcalorimetry.html If it's super cold, I'll wear a hooded coat, too.

Those calorimetries are amazing. I have a few and it really protects the ears, and you can still wear your updo. I also have my wooly hat from: https://www.etsy.com/shop/EmmasLittleCreations - it fits over a bun nicely!

Johannah
September 2nd, 2014, 08:47 AM
I put it up in a bun and when it's freezing, I wear a hooded coat or a scarf that covers my hair (mostly a big circle scarf).

GetMeToWaist
September 3rd, 2014, 12:52 PM
For some reason my hair goes reaally nice in winter?! Like it goes straighter and softer.

Nadine <3
September 3rd, 2014, 01:20 PM
For some reason my hair goes reaally nice in winter?! Like it goes straighter and softer.

My hair does this too. It seems to really enjoy the cold because winter is when my hair looks and feels fabulous. My hair doesn't like summer...it does what it wants lol

brickworld13
September 3rd, 2014, 01:24 PM
I wear my hair up in braids or buns and cover it all with a scarf or a hat. Sometimes both. That polar vortex crap we had where I was living last year led me to some creative uses of almost every warm accessory I owned.

GilaShorty
September 3rd, 2014, 01:55 PM
I love the hooded scarf/cowl! I usually use a knitted hat

ghost
September 3rd, 2014, 02:21 PM
Here is a tutorial for making hooded scarves!

DIY jersey hooded scarf (http://aliennnation.blogspot.com/2013/05/10-1-black-magic-diy-series-goth-ninja.html)

I'm not crafty at all but I had a fairly easy time making this scarf out of some old sheets. It looks great on its own, and if it's really cold out you can just throw a chunkier wool one over it.

Josie Rae
September 3rd, 2014, 02:33 PM
I go skiing a lot in the winter and we have below zero weather a lot... I usually just put it in one braid and tuck it in my coat. I used to leave it out when I skied but now that Im growing my hair out I feel like I should protect it more! So this year Im going to be extra gentle and careful with it!

LipstickGirl
September 3rd, 2014, 03:39 PM
I wish my hair liked winter, although there's less of the summer humidity (which in Britain rarely goes below 60%, usually much higher) which turns my waves into frizz. But in compensation there's hat hair, and the temptation to blow fry it, because my head's simply so cold...

Loviatar
September 3rd, 2014, 07:21 PM
I'm a London Brit :)

I have a hooded cowl/scarf for super cold days, or a regular knitted hat made for me by Hypnotica to the "Hannah" pattern on Ravelry. It has a cut out in back like a baseball cap so your bun and hairstick are not covered. Super cute.

On mildly cold days I wear my calorimetry.

Hootenanny
September 3rd, 2014, 07:40 PM

This is awesome. Do you have a link to where to purchase? :)

DweamGoiL
September 3rd, 2014, 09:24 PM
This is awesome. Do you have a link to where to purchase? :)

This one came off of Etsy. If you do a search for hooded scarf, they have various sellers.

AmethystLily
September 3rd, 2014, 09:44 PM
As for styles, some form of protective style can do the trick. A bun, braid, French roll, etc. are all options. If you want to cover your head, I like the idea of a hooded scarf. It's much less bulky than having to lug around a big coat. You can dress in layers and add it on top. Instant warmth!:cloud9:

MandyBeth
September 4th, 2014, 12:25 AM
For Adorably Evil Minion -

Her curls reject all hats.

Satin lined alpaca/yak/rabbit knitted calorimetry usually, satin lined fleece version, but backwards over/behind any helmet she wears.

A deep hooded scarf, silk lined, then yak/alpaca knit. Lighter version with fleece and satin.

Custom hoodie. Her size, men's XXL hood. Her absolute favorite, she likes to give her death by stepping on a Lego glare if someone gets rude to her or her siblings from under her hood. Yes, it's lined.

Face wise, if it's that cold, she wears knitted calorimetry, one or both scarves, her hoodie and pulls the hoods forward. Then a Gator type neck/face deal, she can pull it up over her face but it's under her hair. Then her coat.

For the wind chill around -40° crap, at home, she's got a hooded mid thigh length cape from rabbit fur from our meat rabbits. In public, usually toss one of my wool knee or so capes over her head and she barely looks out if she's walking. But since we seldom go out in that type weather, when we have to, usually a lot of people are out and it's insane, so she panics about being left intentionally (it happened before us at least three times) and it's not good. She's a whole lot better, but that level sets her off. So one of us is usually carrying her, the cape goes over her head and she's all buried in under the pile.

Minion in training -

Less curly, so slouch hats work, and she hates scarves. Otherwise, pretty much the same. She wears a bit less, but she can wear some adult sizes so easier to find warmer layers.

GilaShorty
September 4th, 2014, 01:54 AM
Here is a tutorial for making hooded scarves!

DIY jersey hooded scarf (http://aliennnation.blogspot.com/2013/05/10-1-black-magic-diy-series-goth-ninja.html)

I'm not crafty at all but I had a fairly easy time making this scarf out of some old sheets. It looks great on its own, and if it's really cold out you can just throw a chunkier wool one over it.

:inlove: I want one!! :cool: Think I'll give it a try

Zesty
September 4th, 2014, 02:02 AM
What I want to do is get a silk scarf like this one (https://www.etsy.com/listing/179747914/100-pure-mulberry-charmeuse-silk-sleep), to go under a warmer hooded scarf or a regular scarf wrapped around my head. I have a fleece headband sort of thing, but it leaves a dent in my forehead and doesn't protect my hair if I put something else over it.

Imalath
September 4th, 2014, 06:26 AM
At the first frost I usually start oiling the length of my hair in addition to just the ends; it gets very dry in winter here, and I heat my house with a wood fire, which dries it out even more. A single braid pinned to my crown is my go-to hairstyle--i find low buns add too much bulk around my neck with my coat, scarf, and hood when I bundle up to go out.

I tend to wear headcovers in layers during the winter. A lightweight silk scarf in the house to keep my head and ears warm, and I will add a thin oversized beanie at night or if it's colder than usual inside. The beanie goes on when I go out as well, covered with the hood of my coat. If it is truly bitter cold outside I have a polarfleece-lined hat with flaps that cover my ears. It fits too snugly to wear with a bun, but I try to tuck my braid in under my scarf and coat to keep it somewhat warmer than ouside. When it gets that cold, I am usually more worried about keeping my ears from freezing than I am about damage to my hair!

brickworld13
September 4th, 2014, 06:43 AM
For Adorably Evil Minion -

Her curls reject all hats.

Satin lined alpaca/yak/rabbit knitted calorimetry usually, satin lined fleece version, but backwards over/behind any helmet she wears.

A deep hooded scarf, silk lined, then yak/alpaca knit. Lighter version with fleece and satin.

Custom hoodie. Her size, men's XXL hood. Her absolute favorite, she likes to give her death by stepping on a Lego glare if someone gets rude to her or her siblings from under her hood. Yes, it's lined.

Face wise, if it's that cold, she wears knitted calorimetry, one or both scarves, her hoodie and pulls the hoods forward. Then a Gator type neck/face deal, she can pull it up over her face but it's under her hair. Then her coat.

For the wind chill around -40° crap, at home, she's got a hooded mid thigh length cape from rabbit fur from our meat rabbits. In public, usually toss one of my wool knee or so capes over her head and she barely looks out if she's walking. But since we seldom go out in that type weather, when we have to, usually a lot of people are out and it's insane, so she panics about being left intentionally (it happened before us at least three times) and it's not good. She's a whole lot better, but that level sets her off. So one of us is usually carrying her, the cape goes over her head and she's all buried in under the pile.

Minion in training -

Less curly, so slouch hats work, and she hates scarves. Otherwise, pretty much the same. She wears a bit less, but she can wear some adult sizes so easier to find warmer layers.

I'm going to hijack for just a minute because I think it is fabulously awesome that you call them minions.

sapphire-o
October 22nd, 2014, 03:26 AM
I usually just flip up the hoods of my winter coats. I buy them from Land's End and their hoods are very big, enough to fit over my bun. I've yet to find a comfortable hat over my bun. Sometimes if I'm in a hurry I just wind my hair around my hand a couple times and then stuff down my coat collar, then flip the hood up. It's not very smart looking, but beats sopping wet hair or sopping wet hat. It's hard to be fashionable walking in the cold rain.

Spinder
October 22nd, 2014, 03:49 AM
It's always windy in continental Canada, but in winter it can be absolutely brutal - dries out my hair like toast. I just wear a bun and a coat with a hood and keep my hood up when outdoors. :)

purplevickie
October 22nd, 2014, 03:51 AM
My hair goes crazy static in winter - I basically can't brush it after it's dried, which is a pain when I want to tidy myself up when I get to work. I usually end up just putting it up, which gets annoying as I prefer my hair loose.

Would a wood comb help, and be ok to use on dry hair?

DarleneH
October 22nd, 2014, 04:33 AM
I'm thinking about going with bangs and layers around my face for the worst part of winter. That way I can bun the rest of my hair without it making my face look severe. By the time all that grows out it'll be springtime again.

Eastbound&Down
October 22nd, 2014, 01:08 PM
I'm in Tacoma! The rain just started up and it's starting to get cool. What moisturizers do oyu use?