PDA

View Full Version : Daily Co-Washing

HappyHair87
September 1st, 2014, 11:06 AM
I'm thinking about going back to daily co washing. I remember when my hair was relaxed, I would co wash daily and*my hair GREW!! I also had healthy ends as well.

Anyone else do this?

woolyleprechaun
September 1st, 2014, 11:36 AM
Some people's hair does like this, or so I've heard. I know that if I stretch washes too much my ends dry out terribly, and I'm pretty sure they enjoy getting wet and C/O'd much more :)
There are people on here that have grown to great lengths with daily washing or C/Oing (CinnamonHair is one, I believe.... someone will probably swing by and correct me in a bit). I've done it myself before, and not seen any negative effects at all; I think that detangling curly or unruly hair daily with conditioner is preferable to attempting it dry (mine just snaps otherwise).

bunzfan
September 1st, 2014, 11:44 AM
I was going to mention cinnamon hair I believe she mainly does it because she likes her updos to be done on damp hair as it's sleeker.

I think when I did I when I started co washing I had more length retention but my hair takes hours to dry and in the winter I hate feeling cold but putting it up when it's barely damp gives some awesome softness... Daily is too much like hard work to me.

jeanniet
September 1st, 2014, 12:00 PM
A lot of type 3s, especially in the b/c range, CO wash every day. I don't that often because it's too much trouble, but sometimes do every other day. If you're happy doing it, then that's what matters most.

HappyHair87
September 1st, 2014, 06:24 PM
I went ahead and co washed today. My curls are behaving a lot better! They're even springier! 😊😊😊

gthlvrmx
September 1st, 2014, 06:43 PM
Maybe its the massaging of the scalp everyday that helped your hair grow faster. More blood stimulation. :p I think the build up would be nasty from co washing everyday but if it works for you it works for you :P

HappyHair87
September 1st, 2014, 06:50 PM
That could be it too.

I've never had buildup from co washing. My buildup comes from my styling products..That I can cowash out.

Daily co washing worked big time for me while I was relaxed and I've never had buildup from it.

gthlvrmx
September 1st, 2014, 06:52 PM
That could be it too.

I've never had buildup from co washing. My buildup comes from my styling products..That I can cowash out.

Daily co washing worked big time for me while I was relaxed and I've never had buildup from it.

I think it takes a few weeks before you get buildup from co washing but it depends on what is in the ingredients. I know i got it after 6 months of using suave naturals conditioner, I had to get it all out with some anti-residue shampoo.

HappyHair87
September 1st, 2014, 07:08 PM
Oh...well I've never gone more than 2 weeks without shampooing. (Since being on my overall healthy hair journey)... maybe that's why I've never gotten it. :-/

gthlvrmx
September 1st, 2014, 07:11 PM
Oh...well I've never gone more than 2 weeks without shampooing. (Since being on my overall healthy hair journey)... maybe that's why I've never gotten it. :-/

That's probably why. I think It's been over a month since I've used shampoo! Your hair looks really nice all curly! I wish my hair was as curly as yours but I have big curls not little ones :P

HappyHair87
September 1st, 2014, 07:32 PM
Aww thanks! :) i just wish I had bigger clumps! Guh! I love clumpy curls! I have 3 curl patterns on head! Lol

What's your curl pattern?

jeanniet
September 1st, 2014, 07:37 PM
I don't get buildup from CO washing. I'm not sure when I last shampooed, but it's been at least 3 months. It's a pretty individual thing.

maborosi
September 2nd, 2014, 04:30 PM
I CO-wash daily and am actually surprised at how many people don't. I love it- it works great for me. The conditioner is juuust enough to get the dirt off and stuff and keep me from getting the itchies, but doesn't strip my hair like shampoo does.

Larki
September 2nd, 2014, 04:49 PM
I co-wash daily/every other day and my hair loves it. Shiny (and shine is really difficult to come by with my hair), soft, silky, and frizz-free (also very difficult to achieve with my hair, due to trichotillomania).

ErinLeigh
September 2nd, 2014, 10:27 PM
I am a daily cowasher (well unless I am bumming at home and doing the whole not shower/sweatpants thing)
I tried stretching and my hair got drier. I bleach and dye so I think my hair needs more help conditioner wise than most so that could be why.
All I know is things seems happier and grow nicely when I am cowashing daily. Stretching washes also broke out my face but that is another story.

ErinLeigh
September 2nd, 2014, 10:29 PM
I am a daily cowasher (well unless I am bumming at home and doing the whole not shower/sweatpants thing)
I tried stretching and my hair got drier. I bleach and dye so I think my hair needs more help conditioner wise than most so that could be why.
All I know is things seems happier and grow nicely when I am cowashing daily. Stretching washes also broke out my face but that is another story.

gthlvrmx
September 2nd, 2014, 10:37 PM
Aww thanks! :) i just wish I had bigger clumps! Guh! I love clumpy curls! I have 3 curl patterns on head! Lol

What's your curl pattern?
I have hair kinda like Taylor Swifts curly hair...when she had curly hair. Well, i HAD curly hair like that. 3a curls but im unsure how my hair will turn out now after i chopped it all off. I heard that your hair changes every 7 years or so. Don't know if that's true or not.

Sparklylady82
September 2nd, 2014, 11:33 PM
I'm interested in co-washing more often. I was trying at the old wait one week to wash bit and I just get to oily on my scalp. I feel gross. My hair is 2b/c so it seems to like the moisture. I co-washed tonight after 3 days no wash and the co got all the oils off and my waves feel lush and bouncy, shiny and defined. hmmm...I am sensing more co in my future!

veryhairyfairy
September 3rd, 2014, 07:07 AM
The only reason I don't wash every day is because it's just too much trouble, and my hair takes way too long to dry. I'm a lazy longhair, so I stretched my washes very early on in anticipation of super lengths.
But when I had hair shorter than waist length, I loved the way I could just CO wash and have awesome hair every day!

Some hair needs to be moisturized (water, conditioner) more often. If that's the case with your hair, stretching washes is a potentially damaging practice. I'm not too read up on the latest bugaboo of "hygral/hydral fatigue", but it can't really be worse than dried out, unhappy hair that wants more moisture. In fact, I wet my hair with a spray bottle of water every day to style, and when I don't, unhappy, crispy ends ensue.

Do what makes your hair look and feel good! :D

LadyCelestina
September 3rd, 2014, 08:58 AM
I have a theory that daily co-washing works since the conditioner patch repairs any damage that might occur by water and handling. I also think that just spraying your hair daily is somewhat different,since the hair doesn't get soaked entirely.Buuut I don't have any evidence of this :D So maybe I am completely wrong.

Tenaya
September 3rd, 2014, 12:43 PM
I co daily and my hair loves it. I get buildup from most conditioners, but I can use suave naturals or mane and tail indefinitely without buildup - leaves my hair soft, clean, and fluffy every time. Try different conditioners - wha works with your water, styling products, and hair types will be unique. For example, I love the smell of the VO5 conditioners and always think they must be similar to the suave naturals, but they just make my hair icky. I havent put poo on my hair for months (about three times in the last year, when i have been out of condish and desperate. I regretted every time.)

Firefox7275
September 5th, 2014, 08:23 PM
That could be it too.

Your alkaline relaxer might have acted like a clarifier, I'm sure my permanent dye did/ does. My hair always looked and felt the best after dying, and greasiest right before (silicone build up). Even now I do roots only the lengths feel cleansed after I have rinsed, as if they have been shampoo'd.

sarahchant
September 5th, 2014, 09:12 PM
I did daily co-washing with Suave Naturals and had great success but once I switched to V05 it has not been good. Hair feels waxy and oily and crispy on the ends. I guess this is a normal thing for those of you who've struggled to find the "right" conditioner for you.

Akville
September 6th, 2014, 01:54 AM
Oh,, such a great thread I was feeling sooo guilty when I wash my hair more then one a week.. because everyone is talking about stretching the washes... but now I can co wash as often I want
thanks.. :)

Wosie
September 6th, 2014, 06:28 AM
I avoid washing/getting my hair wet too often, as my hair really don't like water. :/ I turn into a proper frizzball. Very dry and fly away! Even when I wash my hair with CO it gets dry afterwards... Must be that my conditioner isn't moisturizing enough.

I wash my hair every third day with a SLS free shampoo and silicone free conditioner afterwards. I might have to tweak my routine, though, as my hair is so dry. It does get harder to find a good product that works well for both scalp and hair when one's scalp gets super itchy from most products, though. (;~;)