PDA

View Full Version : Buns on Wheels: Car Headrests

dezibela
September 1st, 2014, 08:14 AM
I don't have a head-eating bun, but it still bumps against the carseat headrest when I'm driving, & it's annoying on long trips. I can't be the only one this happens to. How does everyone deal with this?

farmlass
September 1st, 2014, 08:49 AM
I know the feeling, my husband's previous car must have had an odd headrest, as I had to kind of arch my back and stick my neck forward to be able to drive it with my hair in a bun. His current car, and my car, I have no problem. Short of checking comfortable seating position before buying a car, I'd suggest alternative hairstyles for long journeys, such as a braid. Or you could do a side bun if you want, they're not really my thing tho.

Anje
September 1st, 2014, 09:04 AM
If I need to be in the car for a long period of time (say, more than an hour), I braid my hair and let it hang down. That goes double in the car with the more awful headrests (an 08 Honda Civic -- it pushes your head forward even without a bun). Sadly, I can't even find aftermarket headrests for the thing except the absurd sort with monitors in them.

Next time I look for a car, I'm going to do it in an updo and I'm going to check this sort of thing!

puddums
September 1st, 2014, 10:57 AM
I was just complaining about this problem the other day! I raised the headrest high enough that my bun now goes into the empty space between the top of the seat and the bottom of the headrest.

dezibela
September 1st, 2014, 11:18 AM
Clearly, there's a need for car makers to make headrests with bun holes. It's for the safety of our hair!

Chromis
September 1st, 2014, 11:18 AM
I turned the headrest around. No more bumping!

Disclaimer: The safety brigade won't approve and may not work with all cars, use this tip at your own risk...blah, blah, blah...

LipstickGirl
September 1st, 2014, 11:22 AM
I find that 'African butterfly' (aka the Scunci upzing, and many other brands) works well for car journeys, especially if you find one that uses material between the combs.http://www.africanbutterfly.net/beada-african-butterfly-hair-clip-on-brown-comb-10014 this is a good example.

ARG
September 1st, 2014, 11:31 AM
I was on vacation last week. We (my husband, our toddler, and myself) spent a grand total of 36 hours in the car over 9 days. DD's baby fine hair was matted like crazy, and I didn't find a hairstyle that worked for myself until the last 6 hours of the trip. I tried a single braid, I tried dutch and french, french and dutch "Katnis" braids, cinnabuns high, low, side (other side), nautilus' in varying places, even regular ponies, nothing worked until I did thin dutch double braids straight down and let them hang over my shoulder.

I told my husband that next year I'm putting a satin pillow case over the headrest and wearing braids all week. Hopefully DD's hair will be long and thick enough to be braided as well.

darklyndsea
September 1st, 2014, 01:03 PM
I don't have a problem with it for short trips (less than an hour). For longer trips, I either have it in a braid or amish braids. Everything else just sticks out too much, with my giant hair.

Panth
September 1st, 2014, 01:31 PM
Coronet braid / crown braid / Frieda Kahlo braids / maiden braids. They are your friends. ^_^

chen bao jun
September 1st, 2014, 06:22 PM
I do put a satin pillow case on the headrest.
I also use an untwisted bun secured with small clawclips as my go to long car trip hairstyle. Have been known to vary that with top knots or side buns. But the satin pillow case is essential--I made one specifically for each car that jsut stays in there for all car trips, actually.

browneyedsusan
September 1st, 2014, 06:45 PM
SO annoying! Just saying it out loud.
Great idea for a thread. :thumbsup:

embee
September 1st, 2014, 07:15 PM
I'm with Anje - some headrests, no matter how my hair is, will push my head forward. Talk about a Pain in the Neck. who designs these things? Maybe I'm too short?

cathair
September 1st, 2014, 07:20 PM
Don't have this problem with cars (yet) since I don't drive (yet). But I do have it with my gaming chair and computer chair! I need a chair that supports my whole back and my head, else I end up hurting. I do plaits, sometimes buns right on top of my head so I can't lean on them and sometimes lazy wrap buns with no stick that I let go saggy.

Teazel
September 1st, 2014, 07:38 PM
I do a single plait that I let down in the car and whip up into Harpgal's Pinless Braided Bun when I get out of it. Works pretty well for long trips, but for short ones I just suffer. Head rests are certainly not designed with buns in mind!

Lunnafindel
September 1st, 2014, 07:46 PM
Whenever I travel I braid my hair, it's habit now. But I've found that a spiral bun (working inwards, rather than outwards, like a cinnamon bun) held with claw clips or spin pins is really flat on my head and doesn't cause any problems. maybe I'll change my habit now...

chen bao jun
September 1st, 2014, 10:01 PM
I think that's basically what I do, except I have way less hair.
There are some claw clips that work really well, they are basically the same height as the bun so nothing pokes out. I'm not explaining well...

Whenever I travel I braid my hair, it's habit now. But I've found that a spiral bun (working inwards, rather than outwards, like a cinnamon bun) held with claw clips or spin pins is really flat on my head and doesn't cause any problems. maybe I'll change my habit now...

YvetteVarie
September 3rd, 2014, 01:31 AM
I just do a high bun, sigh. That's the only way I can comfortably drive, since I have an itty bitty car, and I am a giantess :).

Creagan
September 3rd, 2014, 01:40 AM
In cars, I section my hair to the left and right, and then pull it over my shoulders to my front. Then I just make sure the seat belt doesn't wind up on top of my hair. If somebody starts to roll down a window, I flip my hair to the left and do a quick English braid, which I'll either hold, or keep secured with a hair tie.

Eichan
September 3rd, 2014, 01:41 AM
Huh....

I put my hair up in a bun whenever I need to be comfy. But not just a bun...

A bun on the very top of my head! Literally, the base of the bun is right behind where a headband would sit. I then secure it with a wideband fabric elastic or a scrunchie.

I put it up, go on my way and forget about it for two or three days, until the bun starts coming out or looking rough. It never hits anything, save for the low dangling ceiling light tuggy thing!

Theobroma
September 3rd, 2014, 03:51 AM
Great idea for a thread!

For the moment, I find that I can get around the problem by angling the seat backward a little more than I'd otherwise do. Whether that will still work when I grow out my taper and (presumably) have a more voluminous bun is another question, though.

Angela_Rose
September 3rd, 2014, 06:04 AM
My car (2004 Saturn Vue) doesn't bother my bun in the slightest, but I hate riding in my mother's car (2011 Cadillac DTS) with a bun in, because the headrest pitchss y head way forward. I have to take down any bun in that car. I love the car otherwise, but having to take my bun down is a PITA.

cathair
September 3rd, 2014, 10:29 AM
I forgot a side bun behind one ear, they are okay for high backed chairs, at least.