PDA

View Full Version : leaving oil in hair

MiamiPineapple
August 31st, 2014, 10:00 AM
I always seem to have dry ends no matter what I do. My ends have improved somewhat over time but they still are not perfect. I have been in a routine of heavily oiling my hair and leaving it in for a few days. I will massage my scalp each night, adding more oil like coconut or teatree. I will CO wash every 2nd or third day. I leave my hair in a bun. Does anyone else do this? I know oil can cause buildup but when I finally do wash, my hair is much softer. What do you use to wash oil out of your hair without stripping it? Thank you!

Shorty89
August 31st, 2014, 10:05 AM
I usually use coconut oil, which is a penetrating oil. I also use a mix from Sweet Creek Herbal which is stronger, and contains olive oil. You could have some buildup or your ends could simply be damaged. I often oil my ends after a shower, and then put it up. Do you oil wet or dry? Oils are better on wet hair because some can lock in moisture/lock out moisture depending on what state your hair is in.

Panth
August 31st, 2014, 10:06 AM
Conditioner is one of the better things for getting oil out, so I think you'll do fine with CO washing.

As for leaving oil on your hair for a few days, lots of people do that and generally it seems fine. One thing you may want to avoid is leaving oil on your scalp. That can cause shedding in some people and if you have (or are prone to bouts of) seborrheic dermatitis it can induce and/or worsen those bouts by feeding the fungus that is the cause.

That all said, I think you're probably best having a good think about whether oils are best for those dry ends. Oils will often make them feel softer but won't necessarily help them or prevent them from getting worse / more numerous. Depending on the cause, you may need to clarify, chelate, cut out some damaging things from your routine, trim your ends and/or add some patch-repairing treatments to your routine.

Madora
August 31st, 2014, 10:09 AM
All that oil is working at cross purposes and effectively causing your hair to dry out.

Try and limit what you use. Do it weekly, not every day. Limit the co-washing too.

If I were you, I'd clarify with a clarifying shampoo and start from scratch. Be sure to do a conditioning treatment after the clarifying.

ETA: Information on the Drying Capacities of Oil from KTANI'S HAIRSENSE BLOG: http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2011/12/understanding-drying-capacity-of-oils.html

bunzfan
August 31st, 2014, 10:25 AM
Hmmm madora could have a point, I used to pile oils on my hair all the time and it just got drier and drier and I got even more splits.

What worked for me was finding a really moisturising conditioner for me I use the bodyshop banana and honey one I'm sure you are all sick of hearing me rave about it lol.

.. Seriously, since I did a chop of a few inches and started using that I'm not having to oil as much in fact I now oil once a week the night before a wash and my hair is tons better.. Finding a good conditioner that agrees with your hair is the key by now I would be needing another trim but I don't.. I think I was definitely over using oils.

sarahthegemini
August 31st, 2014, 10:26 AM
All that oil is working at cross purposes and effectively causing your hair to dry out.

Try and limit what you use. Do it weekly, not every day. Limit the co-washing too.

If I were you, I'd clarify with a clarifying shampoo and start from scratch. Be sure to do a conditioning treatment after the clarifying.

ETA: Information on the Drying Capacities of Oil from KTANI'S HAIRSENSE BLOG: http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2011/12/understanding-drying-capacity-of-oils.html

Why does she need to limit the Co-washing?

Madora
August 31st, 2014, 10:35 AM
Why does she need to limit the Co-washing?

She's using all that oil. Way too much plus the co conditioning is only adding to the problem. Your hair only needs a certain amount of protection --unless you are a curly, or have a very dry scalp. You don't need to go overboard on oiling or co-conditioning. Use a little bit of oil and limit the co-conditioning. If you try and limit what you use, you are not overloading the strands...and causing buildup to happen more quickly.

vicvic
August 31st, 2014, 10:51 AM

This is very good advice, and I'm really thinking about following it myself! And the link is also very interesting.

I'm not very good at following a regular oiling schedule, but I went about a month washing my hair weekly and letting it sit in its own sebum (I normally wash 2-3 times a week) because I was working all the time and wear my hair in a bandana at work anyway, and my hair was AMAZING when I finally started really doing it and letting it down, and it was noticeably longer. So I could see leaving your hair in oil for an extended time being beneficial, if you didn't go overboard. Maybe one week out of the month? And be sure to clarify ever so often, as per madora's advice.

One thing that I heard does an amazing job at washing out oil (but I haven't tried it) is an egg wash, which apparently bonds with the oil and emulsifies it with water from your shower much like it does in mayonnaise. I'm excited to try that, because low poo doesn't wash an oil treatment out for me, and sulfates set my scalp on fire :flamed:

MiamiPineapple
August 31st, 2014, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the great advice! Madora, any suggestions for a good clarifying shampoo that won't strip my hair?

jacqueline101
August 31st, 2014, 11:43 AM
I agree with madora on here. I used to oil every other day with heavier oils my ends felt so bad I was ready to cut. I first thought it was the product. My current and past both had cones. I got to thinking maybe it's too much oil. I use one serum and leave in. I very lightly mist my growth treatment on my scalp. It's a conditioner I make. I made it strong at first this seemed to not be good for my hair the oiliness of it. I made it real weak. Now I'm back to smooth sailing and no tangles. More is less.

meteor
August 31st, 2014, 11:59 AM
I'd do the following:
1) Use a clarifying and chelating shampoo (to remove all old build-up).
2) SMT (conditioner + aloe + honey) or some modified version of it.
3) From now on use only small amounts of oil, preferably penetrating oils (like coconut, olive) and avoid drying oils (like grapeseed or flaxseed) because they create a polymerized film that's hard to remove. Use just enough oil to make your ends soft.
4) Try to avoid the whole "build-up / clarify cycle" by using less product.

Don't forget, YMMV, amounts of oil to use are extremely individual: some hair (especially very dry, porous or curly) can absorb a LOT of oil without getting stiff or greasy, but other hair may be overwhelmed by even the tiniest amount of oil.

SeaAngel
August 31st, 2014, 12:04 PM
I love oils! olive oil, coconut oil, essential oils for mixing. But I was wondering... I know a lot of folks here use mineral oil..but has anyone used Palmers therapy oil for their hair instead of just for skincare? :couch:

Madora
August 31st, 2014, 12:49 PM
I'd do the following:
1) Use a clarifying and chelating shampoo (to remove all old build-up).
2) SMT (conditioner + aloe + honey) or some modified version of it.
3) From now on use only small amounts of oil, preferably penetrating oils (like coconut, olive) and avoid drying oils (like grapeseed or flaxseed) because they create a polymerized film that's hard to remove. Use just enough oil to make your ends soft.
4) Try to avoid the whole "build-up / clarify cycle" by using less product.

Don't forget, YMMV, amounts of oil to use are extremely individual: some hair (especially very dry, porous or curly) can absorb a LOT of oil without getting stiff or greasy, but other hair may be overwhelmed by even the tiniest amount of oil.

Meteor, I'm mystified.. why would she need to clarify AND chelate too?? Does she have hard water? Thanks!

animetor7
August 31st, 2014, 02:34 PM
You probably don't need to be doing heavy oilings that often. I oil lightly every day, but only enough coconut oil to make my hands shiny and only on my ends. I only do a heavy oiling about every three months when I clarify and chelate as I have hard water. So if you do use oil try using it lightly. As far as removing oil, I've never had a problem removing it with my shampoo bars, but CO is successful for many people as well. I just haven't had much success with CO because I have pretty straight and fine hair that can look stringy really easily, so I need a more cleansing routine. But try both ways to see what works for you. The best of luck! :)

McFearless
August 31st, 2014, 02:45 PM
Do your ends have damage from previous dye, rough handling, heat styling, etc? Conditioners and oils can improve them greatly but they likely won't return to their original condition. Trimming might be necessary.

I disagree with the comments about oil causing hair to get drier given the other details you've mentioned, like how frequent you CO-wash. Gentle cleansing every second to third day is often enough to keep most hair moisturized.

But everyone has to find the balance between wetting + conditioning their hair often enough to deliver moisture and locking it in immediately with a leave-in conditioner/oil.

After your next wash, try applying the oil on wet hair and styling your hair into a bun right after. It helps me trap in moisture for as long as possible.

meteor
August 31st, 2014, 02:49 PM
Meteor, I'm mystified.. why would she need to clarify AND chelate too?? Does she have hard water? Thanks!
You are right, Madora! :) I certainly don't know what kind of water the OP uses, and if she uses soft or distilled water, she doesn't need to chelate.
I just wanted to simplify the idea that she might benefit from removing ALL build-up: both conditioner/product (waxes, quats, cones,...) and mineral (copper, chlorine, iron, etc) ideally in one go (many shampoos do both - "swimmers" shampoos, for example). I believe it's better not to clarify too frequently, and when one does clarify it's best to make sure you really remove all build-up with one product.

ChloeDharma
August 31st, 2014, 02:54 PM
I'm going to be an odd one out and say my hair loves soaking in oil. When I was growing out damage I washed on average twice a week and would keep my hair heavily oiled starting either from the day I washed or the following day. It turned my hair from an awful, frizzy, breaking mess into soft shiny hair.
My scalp also loves oil and I find it essential to oil my scalp before I wash it as it softens my dry sebum and makes it easier to clean my scalp.
Last winter I neglected oiling and my hair really suffered for it, it dried out and I got lots of breakage. This winter I will make sure I get back on the oiling schedule again, well I already am :)

If it's working for you then I see no reason to stop, though some have concerns and it seems it's not for everyone there are many (like me) who swear by it and of course if you look at cultures like southern India traditionally it was usual practise to oil hair after a head bath and keep it oiled until the next wash. Beautiful long hair was common there so it can't always be a bad thing.

MiamiPineapple
August 31st, 2014, 03:03 PM
This is all good advice. I tend to do everything to the extreme. If something works well once it must be better everyday mentality...but clearly when it comes to hair more could be less. I am going to wash out the oil now with a clarifying shampoo, use my aloe conditioner and a little leave-in and leave it for at least 3-4 days to see what happens I think I am probably overdoing everything like I usually :)

maegalcarwen
August 31st, 2014, 05:19 PM
.. Seriously, since I did a chop of a few inches and started using that ....

Really? Your new length picture is GORGEOUS!

ErinLeigh
August 31st, 2014, 06:19 PM
I started connecting oil to dry ends after I started thinking about Oil cleansing method. If oil removes oil..and I was over oiling my ends...was that contributing to dryness?
Was I drying my ends, locking out moisture and building up all at once I started to think? The answer? I don't know but I just felt I needed a break from heavy oilings too often. If I do a heavy one I will put a shower cap on and let it penetrate then wash off immediately now (maybe once a month max now)

I now limit routine to a super light post wash oil of jojoba (one drop rubbed between palms) and sometimes cones instead ...and then just a pre wash oil right before bed.
I do the pre wash since my hair is very very porous and use penetrating oil for that. I used to leave the oil on for days sometimes. I think that was what did me in.

bunzfan
September 1st, 2014, 03:07 PM
Really? Your new length picture is GORGEOUS!

Yes getting rid of some damaged ends and finding a good routine for wavy hair has paid off it appears the heavier the conditioners the better.. Thanks

gthlvrmx
September 1st, 2014, 03:22 PM
I always seem to have dry ends no matter what I do. My ends have improved somewhat over time but they still are not perfect. I have been in a routine of heavily oiling my hair and leaving it in for a few days. I will massage my scalp each night, adding more oil like coconut or teatree. I will CO wash every 2nd or third day. I leave my hair in a bun. Does anyone else do this? I know oil can cause buildup but when I finally do wash, my hair is much softer. What do you use to wash oil out of your hair without stripping it? Thank you!

Are you using the oil when your hair is damp instead of dry? If you use the oil when your hair is dry, it can seal off moisture from entering your hair which in turn you'd have to use conditioner to get it out. What kind of oil are you using?

Ingrid
September 1st, 2014, 03:57 PM
I've been using a small amount of oil on slightly dampened hair on a regular basis and I've found that it improved the condition of my damaged hair. I also occasinally put a little coconut oil on my dry hair. My hair is a lot less dry and considerably more manageable than when I was not using oils :shrug: Obviously, having chemically treated hair vs virgin hair probably makes a difference, and I haven't been applying oil to my virgin growth because I'm finding it's soft and manageable without having to do anything to it.

Firefox7275
September 5th, 2014, 08:40 PM
She's using all that oil. Way too much plus the co conditioning is only adding to the problem. Your hair only needs a certain amount of protection --unless you are a curly, or have a very dry scalp. You don't need to go overboard on oiling or co-conditioning. Use a little bit of oil and limit the co-conditioning. If you try and limit what you use, you are not overloading the strands...and causing buildup to happen more quickly.

CO-washing is NOT the same as conditioning, you are perpetuating myths here.

CO-washing utilises the key ingredients emulsifying properties (mix oil and water!) not their emollient properties. The right CO-wash product will either not build up or not build up for a long time. Oils don't need to build up either, if you use some sort of emulsifier and good technique. Butters and waxes are far more likely to build up but many co-washers avoid these.

My hair feels 'squeaky' clean when I am done co-washing and rinsing with massage, it doesn't feel like appropriately conditioned hair, and the product once 'activated' no longer feels slimy like conditioner it feels like a rich lather. I don't feel like I have build up on my face when I am done using my milky/ creamy lotion cleanser either (rinsed with tap water).