PDA

View Full Version : 8 months losing weight and no shedding!

In2wishin
August 30th, 2014, 06:45 PM
The last time I tried to lose a fair amount of weight, I also lost about a third of my hair to a severe shed. I have been losing since the first of the year. No, not a resolution, but because that was the date I went into the hospital with severe anemia from a bunch of small bleeds from stomach erosion and also found out I am T2 diabetic thanks to the blood work they did there.

Since the first of the year, I have lost 57 lb. Previously, I did Weight Watchers and went for the most bulk for my points, so I ate a lot of fruits, veggies, popcorn, and high fiber grains. My diet was very low on fat and protein which is probably why my hair shed as much as it did. This time I am logging everything on My Fitness Pal and I calculated the fat, protein, and carbs according to IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros) which helps determine fat and protein needs, and fills in the rest with carbs. This allows me to eat what I want as long as I eat a certain number of each of the three macronutrients, and also works with the directions my doctor gave me regarding the number of carbs I should be eating to manage the diabetes. My daily food is 35% protein, 35% carbohydrate, and 30% fat. The only supplement I am taking that might affect hair is MSM. This was recommended by my doctor because the sulfur helps the joints and I have knee and hip issues. Otherwise I take a multivitamin and a high potency iron prescribed for the anemia.

My hair is actually thicker! I just measured my pony for the first time in over a year and it is just shy of 3". Still a little thinner than my teenage years, but much better than the 2" it got down to a couple of years ago. I may finally get it back to the hip length I had it at! I kept trimming it when the ends looked too thin and eventually ended up with BSL hair.

I think I am on the right track here, both for my hair and my overall health.

velorutionista
August 30th, 2014, 06:50 PM
That's fantastic! It always amazes me what a difference a change in foods/diet can make. I bet it feels awesome!

animetor7
August 30th, 2014, 08:54 PM
Congratulations! That's great news both about the weight loss and the hair health, it sounds like you're doing a great job taking care of not only your hair's health, but your overall health as well. :applause:disco::cheer:

ARG
August 30th, 2014, 09:27 PM
Congratulations on the healthy lifestyle change AND the increased thickness!

My poor baby girl was hospitalized this past January with severe anemia (not iron deficient, she had NO hemoglobins). Her hair used to be pretty fast growing (for baby hair) then stalled as she was getting sick, once she started getting better her hair took off, and once we started fixing a B-12 deficiency and adding more animal protein to her diet her thickness really improved. Its amazing how hair is one of those often ignored indicators of internal health.

starlamelissa
August 31st, 2014, 05:38 AM
I also log my food intake on mmyfitness pal. I lost 55 ish lbs over the course of a year.

Now my diet is pretty much the opposite of yours, because of some medical issues.

I eat a high carb, low fat, low protein diet, that is mainly vegetarian. My macros are 70% carbs,15% fat, 15% protein.

My hair still looks rockin!

I do however take some (2) vitamins for gut malabsorption issues, I don't absorb iron or b-vitamins from my food very well.

Congrats on skinny jeans and thick hair!

In2wishin
August 31st, 2014, 06:53 AM
Congratulations on the healthy lifestyle change AND the increased thickness!

My poor baby girl was hospitalized this past January with severe anemia (not iron deficient, she had NO hemoglobins). Her hair used to be pretty fast growing (for baby hair) then stalled as she was getting sick, once she started getting better her hair took off, and once we started fixing a B-12 deficiency and adding more animal protein to her diet her thickness really improved. Its amazing how hair is one of those often ignored indicators of internal health.

Aw, your poor baby :( I am glad she is getting better. I agree that hair health is the "canary in the coal mine" for many people regarding their overall health.

I also log my food intake on mmyfitness pal. I lost 55 ish lbs over the course of a year.

Now my diet is pretty much the opposite of yours, because of some medical issues.

I eat a high carb, low fat, low protein diet, that is mainly vegetarian. My macros are 70% carbs,15% fat, 15% protein.

My hair still looks rockin!

I do however take some (2) vitamins for gut malabsorption issues, I don't absorb iron or b-vitamins from my food very well.

Congrats on skinny jeans and thick hair!

Nowhere near the skinny jeans yet, but I am wearing stuff from my closet I haven't seen in years! (Good thing my style has always been rather classic). I really love MFP because you can set the macros for whatever your body needs.

ooglipoo
August 31st, 2014, 07:34 AM
Super work! Keep it up... you are very inspiring to me. I need to get my act together and do something about this mess of a bod I'm in. My own fault, plus the result of a couple of nasty health issues, which I'm sure would at least abate partially if I would get motivated.

Thanks for sharing. :flower: