PDA

View Full Version : annoying hair lengths for day to day activity

burny
August 30th, 2014, 06:22 PM
I *always* wear my hair down, and am currently at TBL, and often do things that make me think; If my hair was more than 1-4" longer, it would be inconvenient. eg. Bending overt tie shoes, hair is just a couple inches from ground. Sitting down, it's nearly long enough to get sat on.

Is there a length which is cumbersome? Or is it just a bit of time to get used to doing things slightly differently? I recall fining 1-3" shorter than APL to be very irritating.

Any lengths others found annoying, and/or tips for how to cope with it? I'm personally most interested in issues regarding classic and longer.

rowie
August 30th, 2014, 06:42 PM
My hair is just brushing BCL and I'm finally starting to love it the longer it gets! I think it also depends on your hair texture as well. If I had stick straight hair than of course I'd always wear it down, but since my hair is coarse like horse texture, I find my hair looks best when worn in an updo. Which is why I wear my hair up always, and the protectiveness of buns is just a plus for me.

For me growing out of a buzz military cut is the most horrendous I've experienced in this growing out journey of mine. I practically lived off of wearing a bandanna for the first two years of my journey. I never ever want to experience that again. I loved APL hair for the fact that my hair was a lot thicker but everything else I hated since it was still too short to do a simple English plait or any of my current go to buns.

I think for people who have my hair texture, growing down to classic is a must I feel cause it will definitely start to tame the hair and I can already start to experience loosing my wave pattern. I will look forward to that day when I can finally wrap a single braid around my head (coronation braid, I can see why it's called that) I also love looking forward to doing updos only possible at classic length and beyond. To me, if I can ever reach my goal length will be the time I'd consider myself a true long hair as right now I still feel like my current length is super short.

Marbid
Generally the main and most widely used mechanisim to cope with that is the 10 second bun.. Put it up reall fast, do your activity, let it down reall fast if you wish.. Thats how most people here with the classic and beyond deal with it. That and just used to keeping it clear of the way.

Madora
I started wearing my hair up about mid back. It was thick as hell and always tangling. I hate tangles with a purple passion. My hair is now 60" plus and it is still worn up and braided 24/7. I can't deal with it down...just too hot, to prone to tangling, constantly in the way...not to mention stepping on it (ouch!) It is also a whole lot healthier because I'm not catching it in things, nor is it rubbing against furniture, the car seat, fabrics.

Zesty
August 30th, 2014, 07:07 PM
At a few inches from waist I found my hair unmanageable. I.e. even in a ponytail it would go over my shoulders and get in the way. That's how I found the LHC! At TBL it -was- in the way, but it was long enough that I could generally put it where I wanted it and it would stay there.

I'm approaching APL now and it's pretty annoying because it's getting long enough to rub on the top of seats but it's not long enough to stay pulled over my shoulders.

burny
August 30th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Is this the "10 second bun"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVkg9TJDrL4
My hair isn't long enough(or.. too thick) to do that yet :\ I think I'm about 6-20" short of being able to do that; So I'm going to have to come up with my own solution I guess, or just stick with TBL.

Zesty
August 30th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Is this the "10 second bun"?
My hair isn't long enough(or.. too thick) to do that yet :\ I think I'm about 6-20" short of being able to do that; So I'm going to have to come up with my own solution I guess, or just stick with TBL.
FWIW, when I was a few inches shy of 40" my "10 second bun" was the Lazy Wrap Bun. I just always kept a hair stick on hand. Never could get one to stay with nothing, though, unless gravity kept it up (e.g. if I was leaning over or made it on the top of my head.)

Seeshami
August 30th, 2014, 09:06 PM
All lengths because someone is evil.

The naughty mess says, "there is nothing wrong with striving to be a deadly weapon"

Tini'sNewHair
August 30th, 2014, 09:50 PM
BSL was pretty fun for me anything shorter than that I won't bare. Then waist was great, now at hip I can't do any type of pony tails because my hair still gets into everything/tangles!/hurts my scalp. I don't think I would of survived longer than waist hair without hair sticks! At this point, I only let my hair down on a special day but even then, I end up putting it back up in a stick after a couple of hours. Still, I can't imagine having shorter hair and im going to classic for sure! You have to change your ways really and keep it up a lot! Otherwise, longer hair might not be for you?!

Lightningfury
August 31st, 2014, 06:31 AM
Once it got below TBL I started sitting on it so now it's automatic that I swing my head out to the side when I sit or grab it and pull it over my shoulder especially before going to the bathroom.

If I bend over it constantly swings forward to the front usually trailing down my arm landing in exactly what I don't it to. My husband solved that for me when I asked him to hold it while I was changing the baby and he tucked it down the back of my pants. Now whenever I'm going to be bent over doings things I do that. Mostly though I try to keep a hairstick handy. The nautilus bun featured above holds wonderfully with a hairstick through it.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Habioku has a lot of good videos of putting your hair up and out of the way. Unfortunately my hair's too long for a lot of them now.

Caraid♫
August 31st, 2014, 06:54 AM
I'm impressed you manage wearing your hair down all the time at TBL! I'm not at tbl yet (but almost) and most of the time I can't. If it's windy, I can't stand to have it blowing everywhere covering my whole face. If it's hot out, I feel like I'm wearing a nasty sweaty blanket (ew sorry for the visual!) with my hair down, if it's winter and I wear my hair down, it gets all frosted over and looks like it's going to snap off, so it has to go up under a hat! I wear my hair down usually only when I've arrived at my indoor location and will not be partaking in strenuous activity (why do I do this whole long hair thing again? :laugh: I sound so high maintenance!) I found it got increasingly hard to wear down after waist though I still wore it down a couple times a week anyways until a bit past hip. I guess my only solution is always have a fork handy!

jacqueline101
August 31st, 2014, 07:15 AM
I liked bra strap length. My current length if it's not up it gets in the way of some activities like picking up my cat and checking her for fleas. She's a short hair light colored calico. Of course lady my cat likes my hair she makes a nest out of it and goes to sleep. I guess every length has it's ups and downs.

leilani
August 31st, 2014, 07:19 AM
Shorter than solid waist is annoying because I need a hair toy to quickly put it up. Waist to hip is nice because I can bun it in under ten seconds and tuck the end and it stays without any tool-handy! If I'm hot or doing something tricky, gotta get the hair up fast.

Chromis
August 31st, 2014, 08:12 AM
Any length is annoying to be worn down day to day for me. If it is long enough to be in my face/eyes, it is annoying! Even when it was shorter, I still tied it back.

Part of the reason for having my hair long is so I can wear it up. I will say that for limited amounts of time, knee length is actually easier to wear down than tailbone was. At knee, if I am sitting down, I can curl my hair gently into my lap and it will stay there nicely. Tailbone likewise was easier than BSL because it was long enough to stay behind my elbows better instead of falling forward the moment I tried to eat.

lapushka
August 31st, 2014, 09:46 AM
To me, at least, hair down at those lengths is a no-no. I just wear it up, and it doesn't bother me in the least. Nothing to complain about. ;)

leilani
August 31st, 2014, 12:12 PM
I wish I could get my head around wearing it up constantly, but to me that defeats the point of having long hair. I know I'm the only one who feels this way on the forum though, I'm just a gal who loves to see pretty hair down and loose, or at most, half up. Updos are nice for special occasions, and quick buns are necessary and practical. I just like hair too much not to want to see it on those who have any sort of mane to speak of. My mom has the same hair as me, and also only ponytails it when it's sweltering/exercise so maybe it's a genetically inherited preference!

KittyBird
August 31st, 2014, 12:35 PM
Hair down is annoying at all lengths for me. I just prefer to wear it up. The only "down" style I'm willing to do is a braid (or two), and even that annoys me a lot. I wear it down for short periods of time because DBF loves it, but I wouldn't be able to wear it down for an entire day. I'd go nuts :lol:
Right now I'm stuck with braids because I have a cold, and that makes my entire body feel super sensitive. I spent 30 minutes trying out different buns this morning, but all made my scalp hurt. I hope it'll be better tomorrow :(

burny
August 31st, 2014, 12:43 PM
leilani, it's the same for me.. I decided recently that I want to "take care of it" properly now though, so trying to learn all this stuff. This thread is opening my eyes a bit though.. "I never see anyone with long hair" or is it actually, "people with long hair always have it up.. thus not looking long". I had no idea until recently, that someone would have long hair, and have it 'up' almost all the time.

Dragon Faery
August 31st, 2014, 01:16 PM
If you prefer wearing your hair down, can you wrap it around your neck when you need it out of the way? It would be quick and easy, and once you were done with whatever activity, it could go right back to normal.

chen bao jun
August 31st, 2014, 01:53 PM
Yeah, I'm in the 'hair is always in the way' camp. I refuse to have short hair mostly because you can't put it up and get it out of the way.

Chromis
August 31st, 2014, 09:26 PM
If you prefer wearing your hair down, can you wrap it around your neck when you need it out of the way? It would be quick and easy, and once you were done with whatever activity, it could go right back to normal.

I'm out in the garden much of the day in good weather, or canning, or cooking, or chopping things, or, making things, or... I don't really sit down much until the evening, but that wouldn't be the same as leaving it down all day! During the day I normally only sit down for fifteen minutes at a time or so. I also love to hike and my hair would get caught in my pack. Can't imagine being happy on a bike with it down either.

On the rare occasion when I do have it down, wrapping it around my neck works great when I need to make a pit stop! It's also how I reach the ends when braiding.