PDA

View Full Version : I worry i have a short terminal length.

cdonald2
August 30th, 2014, 04:41 PM
I used to have hair between bsl and apl, and havent really ever gone past that. I am a little worried that since I have fine hair that I wont ever be able to get to waist, or even mbl :X I cant say that I have ever really had fairytale ends if that can indicate anything.

I worry iw ill never reach my goal of beautiful long hair :(

MsBubbles
August 30th, 2014, 04:48 PM
This worry/question comes up a BUNCH! I also used to worry about this. Actually for the first 4 decades of my life, I believed my hair was 'too fine to grow longer than APL'. It didn't take me long of looking around LHC to find that is simply not true. There have been many threads started about this topic over the years. Here's a link to one of them (I hope I did it right and it works): http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=21977

lapushka
August 30th, 2014, 04:53 PM
The first (key) thing is to stop trimming. I don't know if you're doing that right now, or if you are still evening up the back to the front parts? One step at a time. You can't predict these things. Patience and letting it grow, those matter!

CJCHair-stylist
August 30th, 2014, 05:03 PM
I have fine hair - and it is at waist and going strong. (Longest ever for me) My number one game-changer was giving up on heat and stretching washes. I never knew that doing these two things would make such a huge difference, but they have. One thing I also swear by is braiding at night or wearing a sleeping cap. Wearing my hair up also really helps prevent damage. Having all these good habits have virtually eliminated any split ends from being created. Light oiling on ends with Argan Oil does wonders when the ends are dry. I do Henna colouring as well and it really does reinforce the hair and create a beautiful sheen.

Dragon Faery
August 30th, 2014, 05:06 PM
If you've never had fairytale ends, your hair can probably grow longer. You won't really know how long it can grow until you've spent about 10 years treating it as gently as possible and cutting it as sparingly as possible. Fine hair can definitely grow long. Gossamer's is somewhere between calf and ankle, I believe.

cdonald2
August 30th, 2014, 05:14 PM
i'm not trimming so much anymore. I just S&D my hair. Mines too short and slippy to braid right now so i just use old pantyhose to make ponytail holders and throw em into a bun. When i sleep my hair is lose and i use a satin pillowcase.

I used cassia recently and ended up loving it once the greasiness was gone, i'm going to apply again in 3 months.

After TONS of trial and error, ive settled on mane and tails growth formula for shampoo and conditioner. I'll try to keep stretching washes.

Madora
August 30th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Terminal length is usually (but not always) dependent on how long you've been growing. Allow at LEAST 7 years. Trolleypup, I believe, had a hair stall of long duration, but his hair started growing even longer. Patience is key!

Panth
August 31st, 2014, 06:05 AM
I have exactly the same hairtype as you and I'm at knee and still going. Fine hair is not a barrier to super-long lengths, nor is a ii thickness. (Though you may need to be more gentle to your hair than people with other hairtypes are to theirs - in my case, I cannot grow past about TBL without daily updos.)

If you've never seen fairytale ends, you're nowhere near terminal. Also, seeing fairytale ends doesn't necessarily mean you are near terminal either. I get them from ... oh, MBL at least. My hair is just taper-prone as it damages easily.

Platzhalter
August 31st, 2014, 06:06 PM
As already mentioned before, you can hardly know your terminal length before allowing your hair to grow for a long time... and taking good care of it. Besides that, it may help to stop worrying about your hair. Stress probably has at least some influence on growth and shedding. Always keep that in mind.

Silverbrumby
August 31st, 2014, 06:19 PM
Terminal length is usually (but not always) dependent on how long you've been growing. Allow at LEAST 7 years. Trolleypup, I believe, had a hair stall of long duration, but his hair started growing even longer. Patience is key!

I'm hoping you're right @Madora! btw, I stopped trimming my hair in January 2014 because I think I have a BSL terminal for most of my strands. It's been really hard not to cut. I have a thing were I think I HAVE TO CUT. I breath and do a S & D and then bun and forget it for a few days to see if it passes. So far it has.

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx306/silverbrumby29/Hair_zps19d53bdd.jpg (http://s766.photobucket.com/user/silverbrumby29/media/Hair_zps19d53bdd.jpg.html)

Madora
August 31st, 2014, 08:34 PM
I'm hoping you're right @Madora! btw, I stopped trimming my hair in January 2014 because I think I have a BSL terminal for most of my strands. It's been really hard not to cut. I have a thing were I think I HAVE TO CUT. I breath and do a S & D and then bun and forget it for a few days to see if it passes. So far it has.

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx306/silverbrumby29/Hair_zps19d53bdd.jpg (http://s766.photobucket.com/user/silverbrumby29/media/Hair_zps19d53bdd.jpg.html)

That's the way, Silverbrumby. S and D all you like..but steer clear of the shears! Also, wearing it up and learning new styles will help pass the time. Having been in your situation over 13 years ago, I know how anxious you can get...I mean "Hair, are you just gonna sit there and not budge an inch?!" Patience, patience, patience!!

ravenheather
September 1st, 2014, 06:01 AM
That's the way, Silverbrumby. S and D all you like..but steer clear of the shears! Also, wearing it up and learning new styles will help pass the time. Having been in your situation over 13 years ago, I know how anxious you can get...I mean "Hair, are you just gonna sit there and not budge an inch?!" Patience, patience, patience!!

This is my plan. It is tough though. My hair is about the same length since January.

Silverbrumby
September 1st, 2014, 09:50 AM
This is my plan. It is tough though. My hair is about the same length since January.

The black top I'm wearing hides my thin ends raven. I'm about two inches longer but really fairy tailing.

queenovnight
September 1st, 2014, 09:58 AM
Like Madora said, just wait it out and see.

I also had these feelings in the past though. When my hair was at waist, I honestly believed it was at terminal. I stopped trimming my hair 8 months ago, and I've since gained 5 inches. - Which is actually a bit above average. Just be patient and don't trim! You might be amazed by how quickly your hair grows.

spidermom
September 1st, 2014, 10:07 AM
You'll never know until you put in the time and minimize trimming.

Syaoransbear
September 1st, 2014, 10:21 AM
I worry about this too. I've been on this forum for forever and not really made any progress. I've even grown out the dye(just a few inches left), and haven't grown any longer than when I used to dye it.

Angelica
September 1st, 2014, 12:30 PM
I am glad someone else started this thread because I am currently at 21 inches and that is just above BSL with me. I have never been able to grow my hair to a good length. I went for a long long time without cutting, and all that happened was that the centre thinned out to such an extreme I had to lop off 5 inches of it to even it up and get rid of the ragged/split/dry ends. I wear my hair up 24/7, never use heat or die it. I can only think that it is because I put it up all the time, it did seem a tad longer when I was younger and never put it up. But it is so thin and fine and always has been. People used to make fun of my hair and I wouldn't dare wear it loose in work as everyone is cutting their hair in work these days and I don't want to draw attention to mine. I know updos are supposed to be protective, but I don't think it is proving the case with me. I have stretched out washing my hair now, but really it has made no difference. I feel sad about it. But whenever I cease trimming - say every four months or so - the centre goes thin. I cut the five inches off in April just after my 50th birthday, and it was then 19 inches, so it has only gained 2 inches in length now.

I know that people will disagree with me about my short terminal here, but I do think 1a f I hair is difficult to grow and more importantly if genes do not dictate your hair to grow very long it won't. I read somewhere that hair grows on average 3-6 years. I am guessing my hair grows perhaps for three years at the most and that it why I can't grow it very long. I just feel sad because I think of all the nice styles I could wear.

My hair at the moment is very shiny and now the greys are coming through and so I know my hair texture is going to change.

My poor mother is now losing her hair badly. :(