PDA

View Full Version : Things proven to speed hair growth?

Knifegill
August 30th, 2014, 03:33 AM
I know about optimal nutrition, been Primal/paleo for years. I eat lots of broths, organ meat, gelatin, foraged greens and berries, seaweed, eggs, fruit, raw milk and pastured products etc.

I know exercise, I sometimes get into heavy lifts, and sometimes light cardio. I'm currently cycling ten minutes a day hard and fast to boost hair growth.

I know caffeine, I'm doing coffee washes.

Working on protecting my ends. Thinking about baby oil.

Anything else known to work?

Sarahlabyrinth
August 30th, 2014, 04:04 AM
I think you have pretty much covered it, Knifegill. All you need now is plenty of patience. A satin pillowcase is good for protecting the ends from friction as you sleep and as your hair gets longer, using protective updos to also protect your ends is good.

ErinLeigh
August 30th, 2014, 04:30 AM
You can try inversion method. Upside-down scalp massages.
There is a thread somewhere here on it.

Ingrid
August 30th, 2014, 04:30 AM
I also think you've covered most of the things for healthy hair growth. The other things to consider is what you use to clean/wash your hair, how often you do it, and also scalp massage. And I agree with Sarahlabyrinth, it's important to keep hair protected as it grows and treat it gently (I'm still working on that one myself...).

Madora
August 30th, 2014, 07:09 AM
Daily scalp massage in the bent at the waist position. Keeping away from blow fryers, straightening, teasing.

Daily brushing with a pure boar bristle brush (no nylon and no rubber). Always detangle with a comb before brushing!

Wearing your hair up to protect delicate ends.

Keeping washing to a minimum (once a week).

leilani
August 30th, 2014, 07:30 AM
Pregnancy! I went from above BSL to below HL in nine months. :-)

jacqueline101
August 30th, 2014, 08:23 AM
Monistat gave me good results, protein shakes work for some, satin sleep cap helped me, and biotin works too. I've found some other things that work like a goodnights sleep, good care routine I can't stress that enough I just learned this one.

EdG
August 30th, 2014, 08:33 AM
I'm pretty sure pregnancy won't have the same effect on Knifegill as it will on his wife. :lol:

Knifegill - welcome to the board!

The only sure-fire way to make hair grow faster is to keep browsing LHC. Time will seem to fly! ;)
Ed

browneyedsusan
August 30th, 2014, 08:55 AM
Lots and lots of time. :)

rowie
August 30th, 2014, 10:33 AM
I'm pretty sure pregnancy won't have the same effect on Knifegill as it will on his wife. :lol:

Knifegill - welcome to the board!

The only sure-fire way to make hair grow faster is to keep browsing LHC. Time will seem to fly! ;)
Ed
This! And also Madora's advice. Thanks to her my hair is now creeping into BCL! :happydance:

Knifegill
August 30th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Thanks everybody.

I picked up some prenatal vitamins since those are supposed to help, too.

I don't think a sleep cap would last five minutes. I'd surely rip it off in my throes of deep sleep. The smooth pillowcase will have to cut it.

Monistat on my head?! I don't know if I could go to the grave knowing what I'd done.

Daily brushing with a pure boar bristle brush (no nylon and no rubber). Always detangle with a comb before brushing! How about wooden brushes? We have two of those. I never feel any ripping when I brush with them.

I aim to fashion a series of leather hair wraps for protection as the mane chronologically unfurls.

I am suddenly noticing long hair everywhere. My eyes are opened! I keep asking nurses what they use, how they wash, yada yada. And a girl at the co-op has the most unusual follicular genetic lottery winnings. Her hair is extremely coarse (every hair is like a wire), she has huge numbers of hairs per inch, and she has very good curling. She wears it in two braids, each nearly the size of my arm. Just crazy hard forest.

Daily scalp massage in the bent at the waist position. Keeping away from blow fryers, straightening, teasing. Inversion method, as mentioned elsewhen as well. People on youtube are going nuts about this, claiming like 2 inches a week. Gonna do this for that do.

browneyedsusan
August 30th, 2014, 11:12 AM
IMHO, prenatal vitamins won't get it done. It's pregnancy. (Most women take prenatal vitamins while they're pregnant, so the vitamins get the credit.) The business of growing the baby leaches into the rest of the system: hair, nails and skin get fabulous! (We won't talk about after the child is delivered. Then the hair that refused to shed for 40 weeks, can drop in a few months and make for a nasty, scary shed!)

Eat well, exercise, get enough sleep, and wait. The key is waiting. :thumbsup:

Madora
August 30th, 2014, 11:22 AM
This! And also Madora's advice. Thanks to her my hair is now creeping into BCL! :happydance:

That is kind of you, rowie, but YOU deserve the credit for being persistent! Healthy hair takes perserverance..and a boatload of patience!

Knifegill
August 30th, 2014, 11:25 AM
RE: Madora's advice

{Daily scalp massage in the bent at the waist position. Keeping away from blow fryers, straightening, teasing.

Daily brushing with a pure boar bristle brush (no nylon and no rubber). Always detangle with a comb before brushing!

Wearing your hair up to protect delicate ends.

Keeping washing to a minimum (once a week).}

Yeah, that all seems like it would be practical, easy, and effective. Notes taken.

Madora
August 30th, 2014, 11:27 AM
knifegill, the pure boar bristles are much more flexible than those in a wooden brush. The bristles are much better adapted for moving the hair's natural sebum down the strands. A boar bristle is the closest thing in nature that mimics human hair. "Hair understands hair" per Dr. George Michael, famed "Czar of Long Hair" (rip!).

leilani
August 30th, 2014, 11:48 AM
(We won't talk about after the child is delivered. Then the hair that refused to shed for 40 weeks, can drop in a few months and make for a nasty, scary shed!)

So true. I'm still dealing with that, 7 months after the shed, with the proud 3" regrowth tufts standing straight up on top of my front hairline at attention, like devil horns/afro halo.

animetor7
August 30th, 2014, 02:49 PM
I will also add washing gently, both in products and method and keeping your hair well moisturized so it doesn't snap and break off.

jacqueline101
August 30th, 2014, 03:07 PM
I think there is a men's forum or group on here. Why I say that is you don't see too many men on here. You might try asking a male member where it's at or how to access the male forum. I think you would find male advice a little better then my monistat suggestion.

neko_kawaii
August 30th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Here is a thread you might enjoy! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=110732)

Knifegill
September 3rd, 2014, 10:03 AM
Doing inversion, prenatals, exercise, gelatinous broths, eggs, and will do a coffee soak in a few days when it's time to wash again. Just an update to let you know I'm still doing these to see if I can exceed an inch in a month. Even without a baseline, it's relatively safe to say anything over an inch in a month is probably unusual, reportable.

cdonald2
September 4th, 2014, 08:54 AM
How does one do a coffee soak? has anyone seen increased growth from this? how often do you have to do it? do you just use regular coffee or do you use extra strong stuff?

also, ive seen increased growth with mane and tail herbal grow. I use the salve, the shampoo and conditioner. The salve does make your hair look greasy fro a few washes though :(