PDA

View Full Version : What hairstyles do other people like on you?

Zesty
August 29th, 2014, 03:22 PM
We all have our favorite hairstyles, but what about your family and friends? My mom for example has a thing for messy hair stick topknots on me. When I wear one around the house or on vacation, just because it's convenient, she always compliments it.

What about you? Does your significant other love it down and natural in all its glory? Do your friends' jaws drop when you wear a crown braid? Do passing children call you a princess when you wear it curly? I want to know your experiences.

(If there's another thread like this, I couldn't find it, sorry!)

NuclearApple
August 29th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Everyone likes my hair when it's wavy/curly :p
I like that too but I wish I could style my hair every day with the curling iron without any sign of damage!
Also high ponytails are very successfull! And definately less damage than curling iron :o

ashke50
August 29th, 2014, 03:32 PM
My husband and sister both like it best down, and my mum prefers it in a half up.
I get a lot of comments and compliments if I do a side Dutch plait to a plaited cinnabun, so I wear that for fancy events sometimes.

meteor
August 29th, 2014, 03:55 PM
I get the most compliments when my hair is down in braid-waves or set in curls. I also get lots of compliments on simple braids. However, I practically never wear my hair down... I should probably do more half-ups - that would be a happy medium :)

Lindenare
August 29th, 2014, 04:12 PM
My mom likes my hair best when it's up or half-up. Otherwise, I get the most compliments on fancy braids or just wearing it down.

FallingDarkness
August 29th, 2014, 04:37 PM
All my guy friends like my hair better down and in its natural waves, but all my girl friends compliment my Cinnabuns and my French braids. *shrug*

Lady Katherine
August 29th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Either down and crazy or in a fancy-looking braid. I should probably wear my hair down more often.......

MountainMane
August 29th, 2014, 08:36 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/morbidlittlelamB/imagejpg1-1.jpg

Honestly people go crazy over this. People with shorter hair usually. I did it super fast today (late to work eek) sorry for all the ugly pins.

RoseofCimarron
August 29th, 2014, 08:51 PM
MountainMane, that is gorgeous! I wish I could wear side buns.

My mom likes it down or in a braid. My dad and brother don't really care. My family (cousins, etc.) like it down so they can play with it, except for one cousin who wants me to shave my head (I really hope he is joking...) and an aunt/cousin duo that want me to get a short bob and dye it platinum blonde. Umm, no! :lol:

Most of my friends liked it best when it was super long and I would wear it in a braid for yoga or up in a giant bun (I say "liked" because all of those friends seemed to disappear after I cut it from almost knee length back to tailbone). Just about everyone I know likes it curly. This really cute guy who was in one of my classes used to gently pull a curl and say "boing" when it went back into place. I didn't mind. at. all! :D

The lady who took my senior pictures liked it best in a high ponytail or a high bun. She said I look more editorial that way, less "plain." :rolleyes:

I like it best in a high ponytail, a high bun, or in french braids (either one or pigtails). As long as it is out of my way, I'm happy! :)

MountainMane
August 29th, 2014, 08:54 PM
Thank you so much! It's just a pinned Dutch. You have some amazing hair styles. Can't wait to get access to profiles :}

jacqueline101
August 29th, 2014, 09:00 PM
My man likes my hair down. He likes it down right after I washed it and keeps telling me it's shiny and happy down.

AmberJewel
August 29th, 2014, 09:09 PM
My brothers all day they like my hair down. They also seem to enjoy high ponytail, but I almost never do that because it gives me a headache. My dad usually compliments me of my hair is in a half-up. I've gotten a few compliments on a taped crown-braid and also a triple bun type thing that kind of looks like flowers and decorated with butterfly clips.

Larki
August 29th, 2014, 09:11 PM
I always get compliments on fancy braids: fishtails, five-strand. :) I taught another girl how to do a five-strand the other day. She said my five-strand pigtails were the coolest thing she'd ever seen.

woodswanderer
August 29th, 2014, 09:16 PM
Plain old English braid oddly enough. People even ask me if I braided my own hair. I don't get it. It's got to be the easiest braid ever....and the only one I can even do.

***I get compliments on it loose mostly but that doesn't exactly seem like an actual style to me...more like a default state.

Seeshami
August 29th, 2014, 11:07 PM
Down everyone always wants it down. :steam

Ingrid
August 29th, 2014, 11:28 PM
I get compliments on all my updos, no-one really sees my hair down.

Beezle
August 30th, 2014, 04:03 AM
They all like me to have a short bob :lala:

lilin
August 30th, 2014, 05:17 AM
We all have our favorite hairstyles, but what about your family and friends? My mom for example has a thing for messy hair stick topknots on me. When I wear one around the house or on vacation, just because it's convenient, she always compliments it.

What about you? Does your significant other love it down and natural in all its glory? Do your friends' jaws drop when you wear a crown braid? Do passing children call you a princess when you wear it curly? I want to know your experiences.

(If there's another thread like this, I couldn't find it, sorry!)

Yup, same here! Everyone seems to like that on me.

I've also gotten compliments on my recently discovered curls. Changing up my wash routine made a dramatic change to my texture. I went from "kinda wavy" to "whoa, is that a ringlet?" and I am really enjoying it! Almost a shame to put it up these days. :D

spidermom
August 30th, 2014, 08:09 AM
I've been complimented most often on a simple french braid.

martyna_22
August 30th, 2014, 08:27 AM
Down. Half-up sometimes. To be truthful, that's my preference as well :D

momschicklets
August 30th, 2014, 08:50 AM
All my girlfriends raved when I chopped to a wavy bob about neck-length :confused: Now that it has grown past my collarbones, nothing but crickets from them LOL But my husband raves about the length now and is cheering me on for more and more length!

MountainMane
August 30th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Well I for one think your hair is fantastic. Looks so full, I would die for that lol.

foreverKristin
August 30th, 2014, 02:50 PM
I'm more likely to get comments from people if I wear my hair down or fishtailed, but my mom, who knows how much I care about my hair, will often compliment me on everyday knot buns and simple braided buns. I really appreciate her input, since my fellow university students are not at all impressed with my usual quick updos.

sarahthegemini
August 30th, 2014, 03:35 PM
My bf said he loves it when I wear my hair down.

MsBubbles
August 30th, 2014, 04:55 PM
I'm relieved to see that many others here pretty much mostly get compliments when they wear their hair down! When I read this thread title, I thought "Uhh...nobody EVER compliments me on any of my buns or updos" (not in real life anyway). I only ever get approving comments when I wear it down, or in a pony tail.

Zesty
August 30th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Oh I forgot to mention that once I was wearing a rope braided side bun (rose bun) and some random jock in my statistics class said it was pretty/cool. I was stunned that he would notice something like that.

Zesty
August 30th, 2014, 05:37 PM
I'm relieved to see that many others here pretty much mostly get compliments when they wear their hair down! When I read this thread title, I thought "Uhh...nobody EVER compliments me on any of my buns or updos" (not in real life anyway). I only ever get approving comments when I wear it down, or in a pony tail.
I think that's probably pretty common. :) They just don't appreciate the art of styling long hair the way the LHC does, I suppose.

YvetteVarie
September 1st, 2014, 07:54 AM
My cousins and extended family like my hair relaxed, limp and lifeless (and also pretty short). My mum likes my hair in any do as long as it looks ''presentable'' (which is a struggle right now since I am growing out my relaxer).

queenovnight
September 1st, 2014, 10:30 AM
My boyfriend loves my hair down and my sister prefers it half-up. Everyone else seems to also think it looks best when down.

missblueeyes
September 1st, 2014, 12:42 PM
My boyfriend prefers a high ponytail (yikes) and my mom has heard the word "hair" far too many times in the last weeks to give me an honest opinion. I bet she likes it best when I'm content with it. ;) (I should probably stop going on about different treatments when chatting with her...)

SkyChild
September 1st, 2014, 12:56 PM
My hubby likes mine down (and on one memorable occasion in Princess Leia buns). My mother likes it braided. Everyone else likes my hair-toys so anything using them is great.

stargazer616
September 1st, 2014, 01:08 PM
One of my friends said they liked it best up in a bun (no specific one, I don't think they could really tell much of a difference.) My boyfriend likes it in a braid. Most of the compliments I get from my friends are when it's down, and my sister always compliments me on the way my hair looks when I wake up (I wear it in a topknot to bed and by morning it usually slides down to about normal bun height). I'm not entirely sure if she's serious or not :laugh:

Entangled
September 2nd, 2014, 08:54 AM
My mom loves the nautilus/lazy wrap (not sure which it is) bun that I do, which makes me happy because she normally likes it down, but also disappointed, because I don't want her to get annoyed with it. (It's my go-to lazy style.)

Johannah
September 2nd, 2014, 08:57 AM
Everyone loves how my hair looks when I wear it down or in a braid.

stephy190
September 2nd, 2014, 10:23 AM
I get compliments from friends/family/others when I have my hair up in a bun, but my boyfriend likes my hair down and straight the most as he always compliments my hair like that hehe. He's the only one that doesn't like it up..

Santi
September 2nd, 2014, 07:53 PM
I use to get a lot of compliments when my hair was straightened & worn down. I loved it also. Now I get, "oh you're hair looks cute" then they ask if I have a perm.

Cindershadow
September 2nd, 2014, 08:39 PM
This isn't a style so much, but people love my hair with a red streak in it. The other popular favorite seems to be down/half-up.

AspenSong
September 2nd, 2014, 08:50 PM
I don't think I've had a single person in my life, express they liked it one way over another. Maybe that's sad. The only person who has said anything is my brother, whom I love, but his opinion is that he thinks I'd look "cute" with basically a long pixie cut. Like, he really thinks that and is not a fan of my miles of hair. However, he no longer brings it up because I laid into him over it a while back. lol.

HumanBean
September 2nd, 2014, 10:58 PM
When it's down and curled people compliment it (that's how I like it too, it's just a lot of work so doesn't happen often). I get compliments if I do anything intricate looking, but the one that gets the most is a Dutch french braid down the entire length, pinned under itself like a little Mohawk braid.

Sparklylady82
September 2nd, 2014, 11:27 PM
I get a lot of compliments on my signature face framing braid. My husband loves my naturally wavy hair, I guess I'm lucky he doesn't want me to staighten or color it.

Jumper
September 2nd, 2014, 11:38 PM
Most/best comments ever were on a dutch braid with a flower of twisted hair off to the side of it. I would do it more often but my hair likes being rope twisted too much and is very hard to convince to untwist that section at the end of the day.

aloha
September 2nd, 2014, 11:39 PM
I have gotten alot of compliments on a french braid ending in herringbone

CurlyCap
September 3rd, 2014, 02:21 AM
Most of my extended family wishes I would straighten my hair. I have only been complimented on my hair after a severe flat iron in high school....after which I promptly starting ignoring their opinions.

Most of my friends like it out and super curly and don't understand when I say that it's actually a lot of work to wear it like that ("but it's already curly!")

I like it best in an updo that manages to show I have curly hair while evenly distributing the weight across my head. My hair can sustain some pretty awesome architectures and so that's how I prefer to show off my hair.

CurlyCap
September 3rd, 2014, 02:21 AM
Most of my extended family wishes I would straighten my hair. I have only been complimented on my hair after a severe flat iron in high school....after which I promptly starting ignoring their opinions.

Most of my friends like it out and super curly and don't understand when I say that it's actually a lot of work to wear it like that ("but it's already curly!")

I like it best in an updo that manages to show I have curly hair while evenly distributing the weight across my head. My hair can sustain some pretty awesome architectures and so that's how I prefer to show off my hair.

veryhairyfairy
September 3rd, 2014, 06:58 AM
DBF likes braids on me because they don't try to grab him like loose hair does (I think my strands are as in love with him as I am, lol!). Strangely (because I think it's the least attractive look for my mane), I think he also likes it fresh out of the shower all ropey and wet and wild.
Other than that, I have no idea what anyone else prefers. :shrug: I do, however, pretty much only get compliments on my hair when it's loose, so I think that's how the collective/hive mind likes it. ;)

RachelRose
January 5th, 2015, 01:35 PM
My friends liked my hair when it was razored to oblivion and kinda punky. That no longer fits my style amd I don't care what they say lol so red and long it is , which is how I had it 10 years ago and some friends like it that way

askan
January 5th, 2015, 01:57 PM
Hmm, I've gotten some compliments when I've worn my fringe area hair in a small dutch side-braid. I stretch out one side of the braid to make it look more interesting/bohemian and then pin it to the back of my head, either connected to a bun or with the end hidden underneath some hair if I wear the rest of my hair down.
My boyfriend once told me my "head looks nice" when I had one of those braids, which is the only hair related comment he's ever made, haha.

I can't make any cool big buns yet and my hair isn't very long or as blonde as it's been before so it's not very noticable in itself. My flexi8s have gotten me some nice compliments though!

Nadine <3
January 5th, 2015, 02:51 PM
My mom likes it down because I never wear it down so it's kinda catches her off guard when I do.

squirrrel
January 5th, 2015, 02:53 PM
My biggest compliment fetchers were the rope crown braid (even the very first extra messy attempt that a dance teacher friend saw), and milkmaid braids. I guess people think I suit things that create more volume at my forehead then...

CremeTron
January 5th, 2015, 03:13 PM
Everyone says straight and down! Grr!

My daughter has pointed out hair and said I would look nice like this or that in a sweet way. I straightened my hair in February of last year and I would like to do it again to see the length of my hair and for my daughter as she is such a sweetie and adores it straight.

My husband likes my curls too though and my son likes my curls also. My son understands that flat ironing is damaging and says things like "it looks awesome straight but at least it is healthy this way".

My husband does a weird thing... say I got tired in the middle of detangling or my hair kept getting in my eyes I might a do a folded ponytail sometimes temporarily. It could be positioned unicorn-like in the middle of my forehead or on the side of my head- clearly not a style but my husband will walk past me in the house and say "your hair looks nice" without a hint of irony or a smile. I really cannot understand that. He must be pulling my leg surely??

SnottyDotty
January 5th, 2015, 03:35 PM
My partner adores me in a topknot of any kind and tells me how adorable I look. I feel the same about him in a topknot so it works well, haha.
Others just look at my LWB held by a carved bone hairstick and go "is that a bone in your hair?"
"Yes"
"Cool"

Red'N'Curly
January 5th, 2015, 03:46 PM
My husband is crazy about low braided pigtails. My mom likes curls. My dad used to always want me to straighten it (and wear makeup. And dangle earrings. And heels. Creepy) I like a low side rope braid over my shoulder.

Bella-donna
January 5th, 2015, 04:07 PM
My grandma always tries to get me to get my bangs cut blunt straight across like I had most of my life but I've been growing them out (they're now below my chin). I think it looked cute but I want my hair all one length now. My boyfriend is always acts amazed with every way I do my hair- he likes it all :) haha

Nellon
January 5th, 2015, 04:20 PM
I myself like it better up! Out of the way. Topknots.
But everyone else acts as if I'm a new person (in a positive surprised way) when I wear it down and always tell me to wear it down more (friends and ex bf). I guess I'd like to wear it down to please them all haha, but then I get annoyed with it and up it goes. Isn't the whole point about having long hair that you can put it up anyways? ;)

allierat
January 5th, 2015, 04:25 PM
My partner likes any kind of pigtail style, but his absolute favourite is when I straighten my hair and wear it down (unlucky for him this happens very rarely). Most other people I know tend to like it straightened too.

Five of Five
January 7th, 2015, 05:44 PM
Like most people in this thread, I get most compliments on my actual hair when I wear it down or nearly down, especially if it has braid-waves in it. However, I get a lot more compliments on my overall appearance (ie: "you look nice with your hair like that") when I wear a plain cinnamon bun with fringe clipped back. That is part of the reason I've been growing my hair long - it is much easier to make it look nice in an updo than short hair.

No one seems to notice any of the more elaborate hairstyles I attempt. Not even when I dyed parts of my hair green and purple.

Key
January 7th, 2015, 08:18 PM
My last ex liked it simply down and was really on board with my growing it out.

My mother's favorite look on me is with collar-bone length hair and layers with a partial up-do. Unfortunately for her I would never go back to that length or layers.

AZDesertRose
January 7th, 2015, 08:21 PM
My mom has always liked me to wear a half-up. She says it brings out my cheekbones (which are fairly prominent anyway).

I like mine all the way up. I feel elegant that way. :)

GoblinTart
January 8th, 2015, 05:58 AM
My husband for some reason loves when I do a side braid, or a braid on each side of my head.

Dona
January 8th, 2015, 06:19 AM
All my friends like it down. Either naturally straight with a bit of waves, or curled overnight. My mom likes it curled overnight or in an updo/braid. I believe that my father wishes I would cut it, he dislikes all long hair. My boyfriend likes it in a ponytail, but any style is fine for him actually. So many people so many different opinions!

Olavi
January 8th, 2015, 07:56 AM
None of my family have expressed any opinions of what hairstyles they like on me. Parents don't actually express any opinions on my outlook if I don't ask for it. Okay, if it's something they know I wouldn't like on myself, like horrible tangle I have failed to noticed, or something they are worried about (most of the time something to do with my atopic skin, like eczema). My what I have gathered from their answer when I have asked, they both like pony and bun on me (and all the braids and down and....) :D

The friends... I have no idea.

Knifegill
January 8th, 2015, 10:29 AM
People used to always tell me to cut it, but I never told people before that I really liked having long hair. I just quietly grew it out until the fussing started, then got it cut again and again. Now that people know I'm growing to terminal, they say nothing.