PDA

View Full Version : Oil that won't straighten waves?

DarleneH
August 29th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Just like the title: is there any oil that's good for hair that doesn't straighten waves? I know it's too much to hope one would actually help them, so maybe there's one that just won't flatten them out?

meteor
August 29th, 2014, 11:43 AM
I really don't know, and I'll be watching this thread with interest. :)

In a way, all oils add softness/emollience and slip and smooth down the hair cuticle... so they are all slightly straightening.

However, I would hypothesize that "coating", "sealing" oils straighten hair more than "penetrating" oils (coconut, red palm, etc) with short-/medium-chain fatty acids.
Oils with long-chain fatty acids like grapeseed oil or safflower oil seem to form a coating film, straightening my hair more and they feel like almost silicone serum on hair.
I could be completely wrong or it could be just a coincidence, though.

Kina
August 29th, 2014, 12:48 PM
I use coconut oil for pre-wash and almond oil as a leave in and I have no straightening of my wave or curl patter (my canopy is 2c, the underlayer is 3A,and my hair strands are fine). I only notice a change in texture if I oil heavily.

Are you using oil as a leave in?

Madora
August 29th, 2014, 08:57 PM
Have you tried mineral oil (aka baby oil)?

Very lightweight (you only use 2 drops (put on your hands, not directly on to the scalp).

It helps tame frizzies. Great detangler and moisturizer. Works best on hair that has been clarified first. Apply on damp hair. Johnson and Johnson makes a great baby oil (contains the MO and a fragrance ONLY). Dead cheap too!

molljo
August 30th, 2014, 02:14 AM
How are you applying oil? I find scrunching it in much better to maintain waves than smoothing it on, especially with a weak wave pattern.

Ingrid
August 30th, 2014, 02:30 AM
More lightweight oils (sweet almond, argan, jojoba) seem to be better at not disrupting the wave pattern. You only need a very small amount of oil though, a drop or two.

Seeshami
August 30th, 2014, 09:03 AM
I generally use argan and my waves are always around. I don't scrunch my oil in either I finger comb it. But I am pretty sure Mess just waves when he wants to because I can't ever get him to behave.

Firefox7275
August 30th, 2014, 10:21 AM
Try scrunching in instead of smoothing on. I have scrunched in coconut oil for a heavy overnight treatment and had my wave pattern increase. Have not tried with other oils to be honest.

DarleneH
August 30th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Have you tried mineral oil (aka baby oil)?

Very lightweight (you only use 2 drops (put on your hands, not directly on to the scalp).

It helps tame frizzies. Great detangler and moisturizer. Works best on hair that has been clarified first. Apply on damp hair. Johnson and Johnson makes a great baby oil (contains the MO and a fragrance ONLY). Dead cheap too!

I have tried it before; thanks for reminding me of it! I just re-read Ktani's article about it.

Thanks, guys!

Anje
August 30th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Mostly, you don't want to be heavy-handed.

If you're looking for a way to get some wave definition and frizz reduction, I think I'd actually suggest trying an alcohol-free hair gel. Mix a drop or three of oil in with it, smooth it through your damp hair, and scrunch it.

Beborani
August 30th, 2014, 02:05 PM
What Anje and Firefox said. I scrunch in generous amount of oils with leave in conditioners and/or silicone serums and keep the curl pattern. But I can also straighten it out with any oil if I comb it in as it is done in my culture of origin.

sourgrl
August 30th, 2014, 04:57 PM
Argan oil is my HG. Doesn't weigh down my waves like cones do. I prefer to rake it in to losen my wave pattern; scrunching keeps my waves extra beachy. I use pure argan oil. Four drops on damp hair per section divided in two. Once dry I use two drops per section (divided in two). I don't need a lot :)

Nesoi
August 30th, 2014, 05:01 PM
I just use coconut, but whatever you use, scrunch it up from the bottom instead of smoothing it down from the top. You can also try mixing your oil with a pea of aloe gel before scrunching! I do this sometimes if I want a bit of hold.

lapushka
August 30th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Just like the title: is there any oil that's good for hair that doesn't straighten waves? I know it's too much to hope one would actually help them, so maybe there's one that just won't flatten them out?

If you use the oil sparingly, it's not going to mess with your waves. For example, 1 to 2 drops of mineral oil spread over the palms then scrunched into the hair when damp (toweldry) really is *nothing* and won't mess up the wavy texture.

DarleneH
August 30th, 2014, 06:29 PM
You all are so inspiring! I have argan and baby oil. Thanks bunches!

vicvic
August 30th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Ah yes, i was wondering this too...my canopy is always frizzy, and I try oil (coconut oil, castor/olive, in very small amounts), thinking it lacks moisture...but then I just end up with weighed down hair that is moisturized and frizzy at the same time, and has less curl! It drives my crazy. I can't seem to find that balance of moisture so that it's healthy and soft, but also fluffy and curly and voluminous. :(