PDA

View Full Version : Pink hair dye: love the colour, hate how it makes my hair feel. Help?

kittenface
August 29th, 2014, 04:35 AM
I hope I didn't post this in the wrong place! :0

Anyway, as the title says, I recently tried dyeing my hair with pink direct dyes from Directions and Stargazer, and while I absolutely loved the resulting colour, even after several washes it made my poor hair feel flat, greasy, can't-hold-a-curl-to-save-its-life-but-gets-those-annoying-little-waves-in-the-wrong-places. In short, pretty much exactly how my hair used to be before I became interested in growing and caring for long hair. Clarifying my hair got it back to normal of course, but sadly most of the colour vanished as well :/

So I guess what I'm asking is, is there any way to get around this problem? Do you think a different brand of hair dye might work better? Or do you think it could help if I diluted the dye with something? Any other advice? I know these types of dyes are generally meant to be used on pre-bleached hair, but I really liked how it looked over my natural hair colour so I'd like to keep experimenting.

lazuliblue
August 29th, 2014, 05:43 AM
I don't have much experience with hair dye but I did use vegetable dyes for a while (the Manic Panic brand). I got really vibrant pink, purple and blue colours even though I didn't bleach my blonette hair beforehand. The dye didn't damage my hair or its texture. You do have to keep re-applying the dye because it isn't permanent but it stayed in my hair pretty well.

Anje
August 29th, 2014, 07:56 AM
What are you washing with after dyeing? Maybe you can find a shampoo (or dilute one) that will get your hair fluffy enough without washing the color out?

I've heard Special Effects in Atomic Pink lasts forever. Might survive clarifying. :-)

Otherwise, it sounds to me like you're ending up a bit over-moisturized after coloring. No surprise, since those dyes are pretty much like soaking in conditioner for however long you leave it in. A protein treatment before or after might be enough to make things feel normal again.

TinyFruitbat
August 29th, 2014, 08:05 AM
I speak from experience in agreeing with Anje, special effects Atomic Pink WILL last. I've been dying my fringe that colour for a while and it definitely sticks, over a month of washes and it just fades paler. Mix some in with conditioner and reapply every other week until your roots need touching up. I do use anti dandruff shampoo so my case is different to yours, but I think if atomic pink can survive anti dandruff shampoo then it could stand up to clarifying as well :) Good luck!!

TinyFruitbat
August 29th, 2014, 08:14 AM
Also I feel I should mention I do bleach my fringe but the virgin hair that accidentally got some on (I'm working on tha hand eye coordination XD) stayed pinky purple for a good month and my hair is ash brown) It worked well though, it sort of blended my fbright fringe into the rest of my hair nicely ^.^

kittenface
September 2nd, 2014, 06:08 AM
:o Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

Rosetta
September 2nd, 2014, 08:11 AM
I know what you mean - I like deposit-only dyes like Adore and Stargazer, in that they're non-damaging, but they do tend to leave also my hair flat, limp and thin-feeling... Which, ironically enough, the damaging peroxide dyes never did :oops:
(Are you by any chance also fine haired, Kittenface?)

Otherwise, it sounds to me like you're ending up a bit over-moisturized after coloring. No surprise, since those dyes are pretty much like soaking in conditioner for however long you leave it in. A protein treatment before or after might be enough to make things feel normal again.
This probably explains my experience too, thanks for the advice :)

spidermom
September 2nd, 2014, 10:47 AM
I loved Punky by Jerome Russell; it was like a conditioning treatment.

ghost
September 2nd, 2014, 04:28 PM
The Pravana Vivids color line is really good! Much like Special Effects, they last for a loooooong time and don't seem to bleed much. I color my friend's hair with the orange one (she bleaches first because her hair is dark, but I believe you can use Pravana like a direct dye if you want to) and it looks great.

Firefox7275
September 5th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Can't speak for Stargazer but Directions just leaves my hair feeling conditioned, which is as expected from the ingredients. Occasionally it feels a little tacky which always denotes failure to rinse properly, I don't shampoo at all just co-wash and that shifts the excess fine the next wash.

The longer you leave the product on the more chance it will penetrate the cuticle, depending how porous your virgin hair is. Plenty do all night treatments with high pigment semi permanents.

pastina
September 6th, 2014, 10:15 AM
something no one has suggested yet, but might help: next time you color with veggies, try a vinegar rinse afterwards.

MsPharaohMoan
September 6th, 2014, 11:33 AM
something no one has suggested yet, but might help: next time you color with veggies, try a vinegar rinse afterwards.

Thank you for the tip pastina, I couldn't remember if this was a good thing or mad thing last time I dyed so I skipped this step.

I believe it's worth looking ingredients. Personally I use manic panic and don't have a 'weighed down' or over conditioned effect. Do your strands feel slippery? I actually worried about whether MP would feel like cones on my hair but it didn't. If anything I need to add ingredients to create slip.

"What Are The Ingredients of Special Effects Dyes?
H20 to 100, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Benzyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Mixes of dyes, Diazolidinly Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben [Ingredients correct as of 31st March 2007 and based on manufacturers product packaging - it is advised to always check the label/tub prior to use incase of any changes or updates of the ingredients]. Fully Vegan Friendly

What Are The Ingredients of Manic Panic Cream & Amplified Dyes?
Will contain some or all of the following ingredients & colorants: Ingedients - Water (aqua, eau), Guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, Cetearyl alcohol (and) Ceteareth-20. Stearalkonium chloride, Glycerin, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl alcohol, DMDM Hydantoin, Formic acid, Propylene glycol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Oleyl Alcohol, Acetic Acid, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf (Aloe Vera), Distearoylethyl Hydroxyethylmonium Methosulfate, Citric Acid. Colorants - 4-Hydroxypropylamino-3-nitrophenol, Basic Blue 54, Basic Green 4, Basic Orange 31, Basic Red 51, Basic Red 76, Basic Violet 16, Basic Violet No.2, Basic Yellow 40, Basic Yellow 57, Basic Yellow 87, C.I. 11052, C.I. 12250, C.I. 12251, C.I. 19140, C.I. 19140, C.I. 42040, C.I. 42090, C.I. 42600, C.I. 45430, C.I. 480538, C.I. 50240, C.I. 51004, C.I. 52015, C.I. 56059, C.I.47005, CI 15510, CI 15985, CI 19140, HC Blue No.15. [Ingredients correct as of 14th April 2014 based on manufacturers emailed information - it is advised to always check the label/tub prior to use incase of any changes or updates of the ingredients]. Fully Vegan Friendly

"
http://www.beeunique.co.uk/Hair-Ingredients.htm

Calling all ingredients gurus...