PDA

View Full Version : Ingrid's First LHC Anniversary!!

Ingrid
August 28th, 2014, 10:08 PM
Hello! It's been a year since I've found this wonderful community. I never officially introduced myself in the newbie forum (too shy) so I'll summarise my hair "story" :o

My hair was in a chin-length bob for most of my early childhood. My mum eventually let me grow it and by age 11 my hair was around Classic length, where I maintained it until around age 15 when I cut back to tailbone length because I wanted to wear it down more. I desperately wanted beautiful and vibrant hair because my natural hair colour is not really "endearing" in the same way as fiery red, golden blonde, chocolate brown, or raven black. I started using henna when I was 11 and continued for a good decade.

When I graduated from highschool, I chopped my tailbone length hair to a pixie. When I came home after the cut, both my parents nearly cried that my hair was gone! I didn't really appreciate my long hair before the chop because I always wore it in braids and felt like having it all one length was kind of boring (silly me). :doh:

I enjoyed the pixie length for a year, keeping up the henna, but eventually I realised that the henna red didn't suit me at all, as much as I loved the colour and the conditioning effects. My hair grew pretty quickly to around APL and I decided to use henna one last time. Unfortunately, it turned out quite a strange red (the perils of using cheapo henna) and I proceeded to lighten it with honey, diluted peroxide, lemon, and also dyeing over it with ammonia-free box brown dye... Big mistake. My hair didn't seem damaged at first but a couple of months later it looked completely fried :( Also, the shampoo and conditioner I was using started giving me scalp sores, and caused severe shedding. My hair was coming out in clumps literally with every wash!! I also developed a habit of pulling out my hair from stress. I made things worse by going to a hair salon, getting it dyed and getting a layered cut which I thought might make my hair look better. Before I realised, my ponytail circumference was down to just around 1.5-2 inches, less than half my usual thickness!!! :wail:

...Thankfully, I found TLHC :) I ditched shampoo and conditioner, and tried out other methods of washing (baking soda and ACV, CWC, CO, WO). They didn't really cut it for me because my dyed hair was already so fragile and was suffering form hydral fatigue. I decided to take hardcore measures and went NW/SO, having equipped myself with a nice BBB. I also discovered oils and tried protecting my hair as much as possible, particularly the ends. Buns have become my friends, even though initially they were puny.

Below, you can see the progress of my hair. The first picture starts with APL length in January 2013. I didn't take any photos of my hair when it was at its most damaged/thinnest because it was too upsetting for me. I kept it at APL until July 2013 to try and get rid of as much damage as possible. The next picture was taken in April 2014. I went no-trim for a year and my hair was fairytailing quite severely because the damaged ends on all the layers were literally breaking off. I did a chop of around 5cm (2 inches) in May to even out the hem. The three following pictures are from June, July, and August 2014, when I started doing micro-trims of 0,5cm (1/4 inch). I did a couple of herbal rinses with nettle and catnip to get my shedding under control, and started taking iron-supplements to fix my deficiency. Now I lose about 3-5 hairs a day at most. I also did a couple of gelatin treatments for my damaged hair and now it's a lot less "grabby" and more manageable.

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss61/jiuta_album/Progress-APL-April-June-July-August.jpg

You can also see the growing out progress of my natural hair colour. 19 months after I stopped dyeing, now the under-layers reach to around collarbone length.

I'm celebrating today because my hair thickness is back to 11,5cm (4.5 inches)! :cheer: It's still quite thin on the ends but I think micro-trimming will fix that. And I also have lots of baby hairs which have sprouted after I stopped pulling out my hair from stress. So, I think all in all, I've learned a great deal from this community and I'll definitely continue implementing all the tips as my hair grows :agree: Thank you all for being willing to share your routines and advice!

Thanks for looking! :waving:

Ingrid
August 28th, 2014, 10:17 PM
Ack, typo in the title...! :doh: I hope the mods can change this for me!

MountainMane
August 28th, 2014, 10:26 PM
Happy anniversary! I am brand new, first day being able to log in. I am sort of disappointed. I can't see anyone's profile, not even my own. Very happy to read threads though! Happy one year! :blossom:

Ingrid
August 28th, 2014, 10:50 PM
Happy anniversary! I am brand new, first day being able to log in. I am sort of disappointed. I can't see anyone's profile, not even my own. Very happy to read threads though! Happy one year! :blossom:

Welcome to LHC and thank you!! I know it's frustrating not being able to do certain things, but you'll get to 25 posts in no time, I'm sure :) Hope you'll find the hair care advice here just as useful as I have!! :D

ErinLeigh
August 28th, 2014, 11:20 PM
Ingrid I love reading your hair story. I always see your posts in NW/SO thread and although I thought your hair was gorgeous...I didn't know the whole back story to why you started it and how the journey progressed. Its great seeing all the pics lined up.
You had great growth from 2013 to 2014 :)

Everything looks fantastic and it was a very interesting story to read. I thank you for sharing it. :)

Johannah
August 29th, 2014, 12:17 AM
Wow, amazing growth!! And amazing hair! Congrats on your first LHC anniversary! :blossom:

Aderyn
August 29th, 2014, 12:26 AM
Congratulations on your beautiful mane! :)

Ingrid
August 29th, 2014, 03:20 AM
Ingrid I love reading your hair story. I always see your posts in NW/SO thread and although I thought your hair was gorgeous...I didn't know the whole back story to why you started it and how the journey progressed. Its great seeing all the pics lined up.
You had great growth from 2013 to 2014 :)

Everything looks fantastic and it was a very interesting story to read. I thank you for sharing it. :)

Thank you so much for your kind words, ErinLeigh! I hit a pretty low point in 2013 and it's just so nice to finally move toward a happier place, and see some of the hard work pay off a little :)

Wow, amazing growth!! And amazing hair! Congrats on your first LHC anniversary! :blossom:

Thank you, Johannah!! I guess I'm pretty lucky my hair growth didn't slow down during the process, especially when I put my hair though all that abuse shudder:

Congratulations on your beautiful mane! :)

Thank you Aderyn! I'm honoured that you called my hair a mane! :D

Angela_Rose
August 29th, 2014, 03:38 AM
Wow, what a journey you have had!
Your growth is impressive and having all that thickness come back is pretty amazing!

So pretty.

(This reminds me, I haven't done an anniversary post in a few years.)

diddiedaisy
August 29th, 2014, 05:12 AM
Congratulations. Wow, your hair grows fast, it looks great.

Santi
August 29th, 2014, 05:55 AM
I loved reading your story. Happy anniversary!

Zesty
August 29th, 2014, 06:56 AM
Happy anniversary! I feel you on the shedding fiasco thing... Mine wasn't quite so bad, but still distressing. I'm glad to see that your hair has recovered! :)

MsBubbles
August 29th, 2014, 07:09 AM
Congrats on the anniversary. Great hair progress!

browneyedsusan
August 29th, 2014, 07:41 AM
Great story, Ingrid! Your hair looks fabulous, and I'm glad you found a routine that works. It looks like it grows super fast, you lucky girl!

Madora
August 29th, 2014, 07:45 AM
Ingrid, considering all you've done to your hair, it has made a resounding comeback, thanks to your patience and diligence! Major kudos to you! Happy growing!

Caraid♫
August 29th, 2014, 07:51 AM
great hair journey story! I'm really happy for you that you regained your thickness, that's really wonderful :) Also, even in the pic with damaged ends, your hair still looked very beautiful regardless, you've just got lovely hair!

Crumpet
August 29th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Great growth and I'm so glad you found a method that works for you to take care of your hair. The LHC is great for that!

ummyahya
August 29th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Welcome!
Your hair has a beautiful texture and grows really fast! :blossom:

ARG
August 29th, 2014, 12:21 PM
That's such a wonderful and encouraging story. You've had some crazy good growth, and your hair has definitely benefited from your TLC! What kind of BBB do you use?

cocolover
August 29th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Wow! Gorgeous hair, so much growth!!!! Was it the herbal and catnip rinses you feel really reduced your shedding, or more the iron deficiency being addressed? That is awesome to hear how your hair thickness has come back. Happy Hairversary!

LilyMarleen
August 29th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Happy anniversary and congratulations on your growing and healthier hair. Looks really nice and shiny to me. And it's so long.

janeytilllie
August 29th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Happy anniversary :) Your hair looks beautiful and has grown so much! Congratulations.

lapushka
August 29th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Happy anniversary. Looks like you've made great progress! :thumbsup:

NuclearApple
August 29th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Congrats on the hairiversary! Your hair looks stunning!

Tini'sNewHair
August 29th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Happy anniversary!! You have come a long way. Congrats!

Ingrid
August 29th, 2014, 05:59 PM
Wow, what a journey you have had!
Your growth is impressive and having all that thickness come back is pretty amazing!

So pretty.

(This reminds me, I haven't done an anniversary post in a few years.)

Thank you, Angela_Rose! I'll be watching out for an anniversary post from you ;)

Congratulations. Wow, your hair grows fast, it looks great.
Thank you, it's nice that growing hair is not rocket science! :D

I loved reading your story. Happy anniversary!

Thank you!! I'm a bit shy normally but this community is so friendly that I eventually warmed up to speaking up!

Happy anniversary! I feel you on the shedding fiasco thing... Mine wasn't quite so bad, but still distressing. I'm glad to see that your hair has recovered! :)

Thanks! And yes, shedding is stressful... but it's always important to remember that more stress can cause more shedding shudder:

Congrats on the anniversary. Great hair progress!
Thank you MsBubbles!!! :flower:

Great story, Ingrid! Your hair looks fabulous, and I'm glad you found a routine that works. It looks like it grows super fast, you lucky girl!
Thank you so much! It took a lot of trial and error! :D We'll see if my routine changes as I have more virgin hair.

Ingrid
August 29th, 2014, 06:06 PM
Ingrid, considering all you've done to your hair, it has made a resounding comeback, thanks to your patience and diligence! Major kudos to you! Happy growing!

A thousand thanks to you, Madora! My hair couldn't have recovered without me lurking and reading all your invaluable advice on hair care! :flower:

great hair journey story! I'm really happy for you that you regained your thickness, that's really wonderful :) Also, even in the pic with damaged ends, your hair still looked very beautiful regardless, you've just got lovely hair!

Thank you! It's really rewarding to have all the effort pay off. And photos tend to hide the way damage looks. I promise it looks MUCH worse in reality :lol:

Great growth and I'm so glad you found a method that works for you to take care of your hair. The LHC is great for that!

Thank you, and agreed!!! :joy:

Welcome!
Your hair has a beautiful texture and grows really fast! :blossom:

Thank you very much for the compliment! It's nice that the texture hasn't changed despite all the chemicals...

Ingrid
August 29th, 2014, 06:16 PM
That's such a wonderful and encouraging story. You've had some crazy good growth, and your hair has definitely benefited from your TLC! What kind of BBB do you use?
Thank you!! I use a MP large extra 100% pure BBB! I tried my luck with nylon and wood brushes (and also ones with metal bristles with plastic balls on them... shudder:) but they just ripped through my hair. My BBB is the only one which doesn't cause breakage or snag my hair. It's nice to find something that works!

Wow! Gorgeous hair, so much growth!!!! Was it the herbal and catnip rinses you feel really reduced your shedding, or more the iron deficiency being addressed? That is awesome to hear how your hair thickness has come back. Happy Hairversary!
Thank you, cocolover!! I only started iron supplements a month ago, so most of my shedding was stopped due to the nettle and catnip rinses a few months ago. I was sceptical at first but it looks like the herbs really did the work.

Happy anniversary and congratulations on your growing and healthier hair. Looks really nice and shiny to me. And it's so long.
Thank you, it's so nice to finally have more or less decent hair after so much struggle. Hopefully only more growth from here onwards!!

Happy anniversary :) Your hair looks beautiful and has grown so much! Congratulations.
Thank you, janeytilllie!! I must say the way your ends have thickened up has been very encouraging to me!

Happy anniversary. Looks like you've made great progress! :thumbsup:
Thanks, lapushka!! Your posts are always so informative, I've really enjoyed reading your advice to various other LHC members :flower:

Congrats on the hairiversary! Your hair looks stunning!
Thank you for the kind compliment!!

Happy anniversary!! You have come a long way. Congrats!
Thank you, Tini'sNewHair!! You've had some impressive growth yourself, your hair journey has been very inspirational for me!