PDA

View Full Version : Scalp Washing

Sparklylady82
August 28th, 2014, 03:01 PM
I couldn't find a thread on here about scalp washing. I could be wrong so feel free to point me to that thread if I am out of line here :p

Are there any tips on how to scalp wash? I was thinking of just sectioning my hair over the sink, bending foward and trying to hold my ends away with one hand while washing and rinsing with the other. I haven't tried it yet! I am wanting to add this to my regimine because I get oily on the scalp and the top few inches of hair after only a few days.

What are your methods that work best? I am also wondering if it is beneficial or just ok to scalp wash exclusively or for a long period of time? I really enjoy the way my hair feels right about wash day; it feels soft, smooth and has nice bun waves but then I have to wash it out and start over! I was curious if I could only scalp wash for a month or until it got dirty (not just from sebum)...

Thoughts? Experience?

milque
August 28th, 2014, 03:11 PM
There's a member here that posted a video of a cool way to wash the scalp only. I think it's by LauraLongLocks (correct me if I'm wrong).

I personally wouldn't not wash my hair lengths and ends for so long as lint and dust get trapped in them, which can cause tangles and breakage.

ETA: Found the video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBOVM-dHlc&list=UUFs-xhHCHmGeuBQ4bV_2uzA

Entangled
August 28th, 2014, 03:11 PM
This is great! I was just going to post a thread about this!

I do scalp only washes every other day. I braid my hair, roll it up and put it in a claw clip, and then wrap it in a bandanna. Then, I cover it in a plastic bag and tie a ribbon around it, step in the shower, and shampoo with diluted shampoo and a vinegar rinse. It sounds tricky, but it's really easy, and it keeps my scalp happy.

ETA: I wash once a week, so dust isn't a really problem, since I detangle and brush to remove extra lint-y stuff. (There's not much)

ETA#2: I use a plastic grocery bag.

meteor
August 28th, 2014, 03:34 PM
There's a member here that posted a video of a cool way to wash the scalp only. I think it's by LauraLongLocks (correct me if I'm wrong).

I personally wouldn't not wash my hair lengths and ends for so long as lint and dust get trapped in them, which can cause tangles and breakage.

ETA: Found the video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBOVM-dHlc&list=UUFs-xhHCHmGeuBQ4bV_2uzA

I do this and sing praises to this method!
And I highly recommend this video, too.
Some people braid hair, wrap it in plastic cap/bag and hang it on some hook in the shower above the scalp, but I prefer this bun-method.

It really helps cut down on hygral fatigue, exposure to harsh detergents, drying time and wet manipulation.

Scalp needs to be washed a lot more often than hair length, unless you are using lots of styling products, of course.

Zesty
August 28th, 2014, 03:46 PM
I used to use a method that was in an article on the LHC, I think. The gist of it was to make a braid on the top of your head, leaving several inches unbraided at the base. Then you bend over and hold the braid up out of the stream of water and use your other hand to wash your scalp. I haven't tried any of the "bag your length" methods, but it seems to me that it would be easier to get to your entire scalp with this braided method, though it is a little weird at first. Just wanted to present another option. :)

stachelbeere
August 28th, 2014, 04:00 PM
thanks for the tip Zesty! I tried something similar with a bun on the top of my head but a braid is even better. I might try that...

Scalp washes haven't work for me so far unfortunately - after the wash, even if the length is still dry, the water transfers to the length and leaves my hair with this weird, dry, tangle-prone washed-out texture. I have no idea why. oh and the hair close to my scalp is dry and tangly and weird.

Sparklylady82
August 28th, 2014, 04:25 PM
I used to use a method that was in an article on the LHC, I think. The gist of it was to make a braid on the top of your head, leaving several inches unbraided at the base. Then you bend over and hold the braid up out of the stream of water and use your other hand to wash your scalp. I haven't tried any of the "bag your length" methods, but it seems to me that it would be easier to get to your entire scalp with this braided method, though it is a little weird at first. Just wanted to present another option. :)
Oh Ok! I am going to try this! I want to wash my entire scalp so Laura's method wouldn't quite work for me:-)

Applegirl84
August 28th, 2014, 04:44 PM
I do this about once a week. I do a loose braid, tuck it into a Ziplock sandwhich bag and secure the bag with two hair elastics then I wash in the shower as usual or with my head in the tub if I don't plan on showering. My biggest tip is not to remove the bag right away after washing but to either wrap your head in a towel or pat dry the scalp hair first. Then don't comb through it or the ends will get all wet anyways. I let it air dry mostly first before detangling or if I'm a hurry I'll blowdry just my roots on low before combing out. It works great, but I do find I still get greasier sooner with just a scalp wash, probably because the sebum on my length gets combed/finger combed/brushed into my roots eventually. If you're good at not touching your hair I bet the results would last longer though.

Teazel
August 28th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Here's a thread that might help: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=46650

Scalp washing's great, and I often go as long as 3 months between full washes. The length doesn't get smelly or dirty (why would it? It's in an updo all the time) but after a few months it starts to tangle more and I know it would benefit from conditioner.

This is the main method I use these days:
In the shower. Hair in nautilus bun (not secured with anything) with shower cap on. At end of shower, slip shower cap back so it's centred over the bun, and wrap the rest of the cap around the "stem" of hair between bun and head. Hold stem tightly with left hand while applying shampoo and washing with right hand. Rinse under shower. Get out of shower, wrap head with towel with shower cap still on bun. Dry myself, take head towel and cap off, blot hair dry. Put hair up with hairstick. Done.

Sparklylady82
August 28th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Here's a thread that might help: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=46650

Scalp washing's great, and I often go as long as 3 months between full washes. The length doesn't get smelly or dirty (why would it? It's in an updo all the time) but after a few months it starts to tangle more and I know it would benefit from conditioner.

This is the main method I use these days:
In the shower. Hair in nautilus bun (not secured with anything) with shower cap on. At end of shower, slip shower cap back so it's centred over the bun, and wrap the rest of the cap around the "stem" of hair between bun and head. Hold stem tightly with left hand while applying shampoo and washing with right hand. Rinse under shower. Get out of shower, wrap head with towel with shower cap still on bun. Dry myself, take head towel and cap off, blot hair dry. Put hair up with hairstick. Done.
Thankyou ^^^ your hair is just amazing!!!

Sparklylady82
August 28th, 2014, 05:43 PM
My hair is pretty thick, 4" circumference so I might try to part down the middle and do two loose buns. Cover buns with ziplock bags and scalp wash. I'll let you know how it goes!

EdG
August 28th, 2014, 07:13 PM
I wrap my hair around my hand and hold it over my head in the shower. This works because water only flows down. I can wash right around the hairline even if I'm not washing my scalp.
Ed

Sparklylady82
August 29th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Just checking in to thank you all for the advice on scalp washing! I did my first scalp wash this morning by parting my hair down the middle and securing the buns in a ziplock baggie. I put it up in a towel after and I have taken it down and combed out (no tangles!!!) and it is in a bun where it'll dry for the day. I was pleasantly surprised that all of my hair from ear down was dry. I was worried it would leak into the bags but it didn't :-) We will see how my scalp feels later to see if it did the job well enough!

meteor
August 29th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Just checking in to thank you all for the advice on scalp washing! I did my first scalp wash this morning by parting my hair down the middle and securing the buns in a ziplock baggie. I put it up in a towel after and I have taken it down and combed out (no tangles!!!) and it is in a bun where it'll dry for the day. I was pleasantly surprised that all of my hair from ear down was dry. I was worried it would leak into the bags but it didn't :-) We will see how my scalp feels later to see if it did the job well enough!

Sounds really great! :D And I think you've invented a new scalp-wash method! :)
So let me get this right: you made 2 buns but put them both in one ziplock baggie on top of your head? How did you secure it to make sure it doesn't slide off? Do you recommend any specific sizes of ziplock bags for this?

Thank you! :flower:

Sparklylady82
August 29th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Sounds really great! :D And I think you've invented a new scalp-wash method! :)
So let me get this right: you made 2 buns but put them both in one ziplock baggie on top of your head? How did you secure it to make sure it doesn't slide off? Do you recommend any specific sizes of ziplock bags for this?

Thank you! :flower:

What I did was part my hair down the middle. I pulled the left portion straight up and made a loose bun. I put that bun into a small ziplock back and took a pony tail holder and wrapped it around securing the bun inside the bag. I wrapped the pony holder around tight enough that the buns were not going anywhere. I repeated the same thing on the left portion of hair! The sandwich size ziplock was more than enough to hold each bun for me, my hair is only a few inches from BSL though so you'd have to see if that'd hold TBL ;-)So far so good!

captaincrunch
August 29th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Good idea OP. I would consider something like this.