PDA

View Full Version : Layers And Updos Don't Always Mix

Maelyssa
August 28th, 2014, 12:36 PM
I know many of us tend to consider cuts and layers...coming here to ask questions.
I made the mistake of getting a cut and layers a few months ago and I really regret it because hairs find their way out of braids and every bun I try.
I honestly would say that if you want to do layers make sure the shortest ones are at least mid-way between shoulders and bra strap. Otherwise you'll find yourself waiting impatiently for them to grow back out. And using lots of bobby pins to hold you through until then.

Hoping this helps someone not sure of what they want to do.

Johannah
August 28th, 2014, 12:43 PM
I know what you mean. Been there, done that. I will NEVER cut layers again. Though, if you don't wear your hair up, it can be really beautiful for some people!

browneyedsusan
August 28th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Mine don't bother too much, but I don't know anything different.
I think they look great down or in half-ups, but braids taper, and updos can be messier. I usually make accent braids to keep them sort of under control.

I'm growing them out now, for fun. :)

KittyBird
August 28th, 2014, 01:14 PM
I just cut some long layers, and I'm pretty thrilled with them. I don't notice that much of a difference, except that I'm now suddenly able to do a figure 8 bun, which I couldn't do before I got the layers. I think the layers make it easier to tuck my ends securely under bun. I do agree though, don't cut them too short! I'm past tailbone length, and I think the shortest layers are at hip+ length.

Gertrude
August 28th, 2014, 02:01 PM
I always thought that having a blunt hemline, so a sheaf of ends, is difficult for up-dos ? Whereas fairy tale ends, V hemlines and layers helps?? Clearly not by these posts. Is it just longer hair that makes concealing ends easier?

Zesty
August 28th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Amen to the "don't get layers cut too short." I had bangs and layers around my face when my hair was almost waist length. Then I decided to grow my hair longer and had to wait sooo long for those stupid bangs and short layers to stop sticking out of braids and buns. I could eventually tuck them okay even if they were shorter, but it was extra clean-up after the main hairstyle, usually. I'm enjoying my blunt cut hair, haven't had it like this in years!

spidermom
August 28th, 2014, 02:17 PM
I LOVE my layers. The hairs that fall out make my overall look much softer than having everything skinned back, although I do have to spend a bit of time with a little gel doing a bit of styling, which pretty much consists of smoothing the surface fluff down and twirling the shorter hairs around my face to encourage them to spiral rather than fluff out in all directions. It doesn't take long.

At my daughter's graduation before the layers, I wore a pretty french braid. In all the pictures, it looks like I'm bald. I don't think I'll ever give up layers again.

Madora
August 28th, 2014, 02:22 PM
I know many of us tend to consider cuts and layers...coming here to ask questions.
I made the mistake of getting a cut and layers a few months ago and I really regret it because hairs find their way out of braids and every bun I try.
I honestly would say that if you want to do layers make sure the shortest ones are at least mid-way between shoulders and bra strap. Otherwise you'll find yourself waiting impatiently for them to grow back out. And using lots of bobby pins to hold you through until then.

Very good advice, Maelyssa! Good luck on your growing out layers journey!

Madora
August 28th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Amen to the "don't get layers cut too short." I had bangs and layers around my face when my hair was almost waist length. Then I decided to grow my hair longer and had to wait sooo long for those stupid bangs and short layers to stop sticking out of braids and buns. I could eventually tuck them okay even if they were shorter, but it was extra clean-up after the main hairstyle, usually. I'm enjoying my blunt cut hair, haven't had it like this in years!

Zesty, your little avatar picture is picture perfect! Your hair looks like a George Michael client's hair!

Zesty
August 28th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Zesty, your little avatar picture is picture perfect! Your hair looks like a George Michael client's hair!
Compliments from you are always greatly appreciated, Madora. :) I had GM in mind when I insisted to the hair stylist that no, I did not want layers or thinning to "get rid of some bulk." I think I have a great foundation for healthy long hair now. Just waiting for the day I can do "the Madora" again.

lapushka
August 28th, 2014, 02:38 PM

That's not bad advice, actually. I had short layers cut in (compact cut method, ponytail on forehead) when my hair was waist. My shortest layer was about APL. Updos were possible, but could just (barely) be done (LWB). Now my hair is almost TBL and the shortest layer is almost BSL. It's far easier now, and my layers never poke out (LWB).

Chamomile betty
August 28th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Mine don't bother too much, but I don't know anything different.
I think they look great down or in half-ups, but braids taper, and updos can be messier. I usually make accent braids to keep them sort of under control.

I'm growing them out now, for fun. :)

I love to see one length hair but it's just never worked for me.
I am actually more adapt of wearing/styling my hair with the long layers (shoulder). I really do agree with it's what your used too statement. My hair is so darn heavy and it helps me with volume so it is more beneficial for the layers. Plus I am not much of a braid wearer just only at night to sleep. So I think it depends on your style too.

chen bao jun
August 28th, 2014, 03:53 PM
I hate layers for exactly this reason.
Sounds like some people had a better experience than I did--when a hairdresser gave me (unasked for) layers, it was as frustrating as short hair because I could not put my hair up, or braid, or have it do anything other than hang there (and it was like a NY minute before the layers started growing out and didn't look good hanging there--but I still couldn't do updoes).
I like fairytale ends though and don't think they are like layers at all.

FallingDarkness
August 28th, 2014, 04:26 PM
So I'm in MBL territory (waiting patiently to get to waist) and have been considering getting layers again, upon other peoples recommendations. I do wear my hair in braids and buns every day now, but am hoping to start wearing my hair down once a week. Would layers be a good idea, or would this completely ruin any chance of an updo?

jacqueline101
August 28th, 2014, 04:54 PM
I know what you mean on layers I hated mine and I'm glad I grew mine out.

jacqueline101
August 28th, 2014, 04:58 PM
I forgot something. I agree with others the road to growing out layers was long and hard. I do wish you luck on your growth journey.

Maelyssa
August 28th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Glad to get some understanding! :)
And believe me, I think layers look AMAZING when down....which is why I did it. And I've had nice long layers before that were just fine but at their current length they don't even fall out is that soft romantic manner but mote along the lines of raving madwoman meets really run down mom after a bad day.
Lol. Soooo NOT the look I'm trying to pull off.