PDA

View Full Version : Cartoon/animated hair inconsistency

Entangled
August 28th, 2014, 10:39 AM
Maybe I'm just weird, but do any of you notice the hair inaccuracies of cartoons or animated movies? I know the people in the growing out bangs support thread would envy Elsa's magic growing bangs. How did Rapunzel's braid eat up that much length in Tangled? And I'm curious as to why Pocohantas, out of all of the Disney princesses, has a perfect blunt, straight hemline. Oh, princesses, why can't I steal your hair? Have any of you noticed things like this? (And not just with Disney. )

DweamGoiL
August 28th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Well, it is make believe so they can do whatever they want. The laws of physics and physiology do not apply here.

Johannah
August 28th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Never noticed that, actually. But now you told me, I'm going to check those things when I watch movies/pictures of Disney :lol:

Entangled
August 28th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Oh, yes. We mustn't forget the magic of cartoon-ness.
It's fun to compare though, and I'm just a cartoon over analyzer. It's fun, especially in the realms of styles! I just remembered the strange genetics of Brave. Apparently red hair is now a dominant, not a recessive gene.;) Whatever works, Disney, whatever works.

Breanna
August 28th, 2014, 11:14 AM
I was always so jealous of Jasmine's epic volume and thickness, but I know it's just stylization to create pleasing lines and shapes. I actually don't pay attention to hair inaccuraccies as much as I do the skill that goes into animating it, you can see how talented Glen Keane is (the animator responsible for Ariel, Pocohantas, Rapunzel, Tarzan, and lots and lots of other Disney characters) by how well he draws and animates the movement of Pocohantas' hair. I think he's so incredible, I really look up to him :)
As for how Rapunzel's miracle braid works, I'm still pretty clueless. Maybe lots of small braids to eat up the length??

FireFromWithin
August 28th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Hair colour could be inherited like that. My dad is blonde haired and blue eyed, my mum has dark brown hair and eyes. Both my sister and I are blonde with blue eyes.

And Elsa's fringe is insane to try and replicate. I cosplayed her and used a fake fringe that took forever to work as it seems to be stuck to he forehead!

brickworld13
August 28th, 2014, 12:30 PM
I was reading the All Souls Trilogy earlier this year, and Diana, the female lead, has the most insane hair. It changes ALL the time. Short, long, straight, curly, wavy, blonde, red, strawberry, black, the options are almost endless. It's part of the story as to why it keeps changing, but it was definitely entertaining to read about.

molljo
August 28th, 2014, 12:48 PM
This isn't so much an inaccuracy as it is animation magic, but I've always been entranced by Ariel's bangs. How does she get them stay like that, especially on land??

chen bao jun
August 28th, 2014, 03:06 PM
This thread is so fun.
To be truthful, I never separated the magic of cartoon hair from the magic of movie hair. People's hair does things all the the time in movies in general that never happens in real life. I love when they fight or have a horrible accident and their hair is barely mussed.
Actually in movies, they even go to sleep and wake up with perfect hair, amazing.

martyna_22
August 28th, 2014, 03:17 PM
I also wondered about Meg's ponytail. What did she put in it so it lay this way? :D

Breanna
August 28th, 2014, 07:39 PM
I also wondered about Meg's ponytail. What did she put in it so it lay this way? :D

My friend likes to joke that she just has a really weird shaped head making her ponytail stick out like that haha

AmberJewel
August 28th, 2014, 08:15 PM
This is one of the LHC side effects for me. I now analyze hair on all movies, cartoons, etc. I'm watching movies like: What happened to Elsa's bangs? How does rapunzel's hair not tangle? Tarzan hasn't had a haircut in... ten? years... his hair should be longer. Katara has a tailbone length braid that is only bsl when loose (first season)? Starfire fluctuates between waist and classic mid episode? I could go on for pages. LHC has ruined me!

kitana97
August 28th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Kim Possible has to have the pointiest V hemline I've ever seen. Also, her deep side part has amazing volume without falling into her face. I always loved her hair though!

Creagan
August 28th, 2014, 10:59 PM
I figured Elsa somehow managed to roll the super-long bangs in a way that the ends poked out of the twist-thing at the top of her head, creating the effect of shorter bangs. But maybe that would be super hard to achieve in reality?

Entangled
August 29th, 2014, 10:25 PM
Hmm, I'd never considered that. That would also explain how it switched from the roll to a French braid!

Creagan
August 30th, 2014, 03:54 AM
Yeah, when I looked at her hair style, it seemed like she had the weird roll thing creating faux-short bangs by letting the ends of her long bangs poking out. And then that was factored into a french braid, bunned with the side of the braid facing outwards, creating the appearance of either a twisted bun or a two strand twist. (And of course, using hair taping to get everything into place.)

That's the only way I can think of realistically creating the sudden hair style change.

Knifegill
August 30th, 2014, 11:03 AM
You'll notice Discord's mane tends to vanish in many frames on MLPFIM. It happens a lot. The animators must have trouble with it for some reason.

Entangled
August 30th, 2014, 12:27 PM
And, as AmberJewel mentioned, Katara's hair can't decide where it is on the BSL-classic scale. Of course, the wavies can probably vouch for length inconsistency.

Avis
August 30th, 2014, 02:54 PM
When I was a kid, I TOTALLY thought you could get a nice, blunt hemline from chopping your hair off with a sword like in Mulan. I'm so glad I was never tempted to actually try it!

Entangled
August 30th, 2014, 05:43 PM
I love Mulan! Plus, she wears an updo for her disguise!;)
That reminds me of tangled. I know glass is sharp, but I don't think it's that sharp.

Aurum
August 30th, 2014, 11:58 PM
I was just coming here to talk about Elsa's weird bun to braid transformation. That bun is definitely a regular bun, not a braided bun. So...?
Also, if you tried pulling a TIGHTLY SECURED twist out with that much force, it's going to hurt and/or rip a ton of hair out.

Entangled
September 1st, 2014, 08:36 AM
Yep, that would hurt. I tried to mimic her bun transformation for a parody version of 'Let it go' that I did for a church talent show, but at the last minute, I substituted a Gibraltar bun for the nautilus I was using, so when I yanked my hair stick out, the bun stayed! That drew laughs from the crowd, as I had to shake my head violently to undo the bun. Hey, at least it was supposed to be funny! It was a little surprising for me, though, as I expected immediate bunfall.

Jennwith4
September 2nd, 2014, 12:01 AM
My favorite movie hair inconsistency is not in an animated cartoon. In the movie "Toothless" with Kirstie Alley she switched from subtle highlights to a major blond streak in her hair throughout the show. It always struck me as funny. :) however I did love her hairstyle and copied it for many years.

missblueeyes
September 2nd, 2014, 06:27 AM
Oh please, don't get me going on inconsistent hairstyles. As someone who used to watch a lot of Anime and did some cosplays, I've seen it all. Detective Conan is one of the worst. I mean, the characters' bangs switch sides mid frame. :roll: