View Full Version : Highlights? Should I get more of them?

Awalia
September 22nd, 2008, 01:05 PM
I recently got some blond highlights to the top layer of my hair, and i just love them, and i think they look good on me. But i was wondering should i get some more? My hair is bit over waistlenght, and the higlights dont show at all in the tips of my hair. Ofcourse i am worrying about the condition of my hair, but i cant resist the glimmer of golden highligts. Help!

Here is a picture of me and my highlights: http://irc-galleria.net/view.php?nick=Awalia&image_id=88732804

Amara
September 22nd, 2008, 01:07 PM
I think they look great on you, but I like the subtlety of them right now. More might be overdoing it. It's hard not to want more of a good thing though! :)

Sherri
September 22nd, 2008, 01:17 PM
i agree with Amara. I think it look great the way it is. I like the underneath darker like that and if you get more on top it might be to big of a contrast.

manderly
September 22nd, 2008, 01:20 PM
Well aren't you a pretty young thing?!

Please, step away from the highlights. What you have now looks very pretty and natural. Don't do anymore. THE MOST DAMAGED areas of my hair is where I had highlights. No matter what I do, those bits of hair feel like Barbie hair.

Awalia
September 22nd, 2008, 01:30 PM
Please, step away from the highlights. What you have now looks very pretty and natural. Don't do anymore. THE MOST DAMAGED areas of my hair is where I had highlights. No matter what I do, those bits of hair feel like Barbie hair.

I think i have very tolerant hairtype, i have done lots of bad things to it but it has never really started to break. But it's true that even my hair cant take everything. I was thinking about getting them to the underneath too, because i mostly wear my hair up and i think it would look nice.

Periwinkle
September 22nd, 2008, 01:33 PM
I agree with those who have said that they look good now but that more would be overdoing it. They look brilliant, but they also look natural - if you get many more, then I think that your hair would look highlighted rather than look pretty. :twocents:

Lady Jane
September 22nd, 2008, 02:12 PM
I had highlights done a year ago. My hair is much darker, and they lightened up more as the got "older", so now they are near the ends and are really light. I would just enjoy the ones you got and not add more. They look really pretty!

BTW, you have beautiful skin!

Samikha
September 22nd, 2008, 02:23 PM
I'm gonna chime in with the others - beautiful, subtle highlights! If you really want something more drastic, give it a bit of time. It looks great now, not salon-treated at all, just fresh and natural.

Tangles
September 22nd, 2008, 02:27 PM
I'm worried that if you get more, your hair might end up looking a bit brassy. I think it's perfect.

manderly
September 22nd, 2008, 02:31 PM
I think i have very tolerant hairtype, i have done lots of bad things to it but it has never really started to break. But it's true that even my hair cant take everything. I was thinking about getting them to the underneath too, because i mostly wear my hair up and i think it would look nice.

As do I. I have been a at-home-box-dyer for 10+ years, going lighter or darker. My hair has also survived being blown out straight for about 10 years every single day. The one and only thing that seems to have cause irreparable damage was my highlights.

Now, as for getting highlights underneath, well, that wouldn't look at all natural, unless you were going for a lighter shade all-around. People don't get natural highlights on their underlayers, that tends to be the darkest part of someone's hair.

If you want to lighten all your hair, I think it would look lovely on you, but your darker hair is just as pretty. You can't really go wrong.

Tap Dancer
September 22nd, 2008, 02:34 PM
I think your hair is beautiful the way it is now! :love:

Suitsuki
September 22nd, 2008, 02:48 PM
I'm no chemical dye expert, but I really think everything is perfect. Your hair looks so natural, I wouldn't change anything!

And both your eyes and face are so beautiful :flower:

Arctic_Mama
September 22nd, 2008, 03:08 PM
I'd lay off, honestly, because the effect right now is perfect - you get the lightening but it's not screaming "THE SALON OWNS MY SOUL!!" and most women strive for what you have right now. The longer you go between highlighting the more you can do in the long run without overloading your hair. If you highlight the hell out of it now it will damage it faster and lighten it more obviously, then your roots will be more noticeable, then you'll have to go back sooner and highlight again, it's a sick cycle and I'd avoid it as much as possible. Keep the highlights sparse and stretched out and your hair will thank you in the long run.

FrannyG
September 22nd, 2008, 03:20 PM
I agree with everyone else. The highlights look very blonde, but not unnatural. They really are beautiful. I wouldn't mess with it.

xrosiex
September 22nd, 2008, 03:50 PM
I agree with everyone else. The highlights look very blonde, but not unnatural. They really are beautiful. I wouldn't mess with it.

I agree too. But do what makes you happy.

Curlsgirl
September 22nd, 2008, 08:10 PM
I got mine down all over once, underneath included but now I only get the roots done. She will NOT do any on the ends which is fine with me! I have a lighter color on the top too but I am getting lowlights to blend it in there and leaving the ends alone. I am going to be different here and say if you did NOT get the length done the first time you could ask about getting just a tiny bit done there.
I know what you mean about your hair being tolerant. Mine is very forgiving too. I am SO thankful and I treat my hair very well otherwise.

MermaidGirl
September 22nd, 2008, 08:16 PM
OMG! You must have one of the most perfect faces I've ever seen! You are just beautiful!

I agree with everyone else. I think the highlights look perfect and natural and I wouldn't get them done any heavier because they look so good the way they are now.

Chromis
September 22nd, 2008, 08:50 PM
I would do just a tad less rather than more for the most natural looking effect. It looks pretty, but a bit too much difference in the roots to me :flower:

Juneii
September 22nd, 2008, 09:04 PM
oh my, you have the prettiest smile I've ever seen <3

I think the highlights looks great on you, too much would be over doing it, especially when your hair starts growing out, too much and it'll be obvious >__<

vindo
September 22nd, 2008, 09:18 PM
First of all - You are super pretty! o_o

Second, I agree with everryone on the higlights. The way they are right now it looks very natural, especially since you seem to be a natural blonde.
It does not look like the fake streaky barbie kind of highlights.

I understand you want your lengths to have some highlights too but there is no need for an allover procedure. A good hairstylist should be able to place them to areas that have missed out on peroxide.

MountainGypsy
September 22nd, 2008, 09:24 PM
I also think that as they are they look lovely and natural. I like that they don't evenly go all the way down the length. If you think about it, the sun tends to lighten mostly on the top of the head, so highlighted stripes all the way down never look natural to me!

PeaceWithTrees
September 22nd, 2008, 09:51 PM
They are so cute on you! But NOOOOOO dont damage your hair! What people natural have useually suits them best anyway:D

Awalia
September 22nd, 2008, 09:56 PM
Thanks for everyone saying nice things about my appearance, you are so kind :) I think i will listen you and enjoy this hair i have instead of getting more blonde. Thank you all for your honest opinions :)

Shanarana
September 23rd, 2008, 02:16 AM
I have to agree with the others, your hair is very pretty now and very natural looking.