PDA

View Full Version : Braids, buns and updos on stubborn hair?

aforestfae
August 28th, 2014, 02:40 AM
I want to start wearing my hair up more but every time I put it up it slips out.
I've tried socks buns, sticks, spin pins and claw clips and they all slip.
I know they won't stay perfectly in place all day but I find myself having to redo my hair unless it's a sock bun which holds well enough.
Braids are the worst as they slip out before I've even finished, I love the Elling woman bun, french braids, crown braids etc. but they just won't stay in long enough no matter how tight I braid or how high I start.
Any help?

CJCHair-stylist
August 28th, 2014, 02:54 AM
Try wetting your hair or spraying a little bit of dry shampoo into your hair to give it grip - my hair slips like mad and I find this works really well. Also upstyles work a lot better on hair that isn`t freshly washed, whenever I put a clients hair up for weddings I tell them to come with two day old hair because it behaves so much better and I don`t have to use half as much hairspray as I would on freshly washed clean hair.

Johannah
August 28th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Oh, welcome to my world! :lol: Since I reached waist, some buns like the LWB and nautilus bun stay for the entire day but there are still a lot of buns I need to redo. That's why I don't like braided buns on myself because it isn't something you redo in 1 minute!

Do you use cones? The only thing that helped me was going cone-free. Also, have you tried the disc bun? This one stays really well!

YGDW
August 28th, 2014, 08:09 AM
We have almost the same length and hair type, and I totally feel your pain. Even a bun with 5 spin pins and a hairband seems to fall apart. The only thing that helps now is using a stick. I often need to redo a bun (nautilus, LWB) a few times before it really holds, but if it does, it often does so for the whole day. Also, thicker sticks seem to hold my hair better than really thin sticks. I'm also thinking of buying ketylos, I think they hold your hair better than a normal straight stick?

Anyway, try to experiment with how you insert the stick, and make sure it grabs your hair firmly. Try to redo your bun until it feels stable. That really helped for me! I can also confirm the dirty hair is easier to put up thesis. :)

Madora
August 28th, 2014, 08:21 AM
I want to start wearing my hair up more but every time I put it up it slips out.
I've tried socks buns, sticks, spin pins and claw clips and they all slip.
I know they won't stay perfectly in place all day but I find myself having to redo my hair unless it's a sock bun which holds well enough.
Braids are the worst as they slip out before I've even finished, I love the Elling woman bun, french braids, crown braids etc. but they just won't stay in long enough no matter how tight I braid or how high I start.
Any help?

Misting the hair lightly with water might help. Is your hair all one length? Uneven lengths make braiding harder to accomplish, given all the odd ends.

How about trying this:

You will need a barrette, preferably all one piece to avoid damage. You can use a barrette with a French clasp. Be sure it has no sharp edges.

Half up - braided bun

1 Detangle all hair carefully w/wide tooth comb
2 Comb hair back, away from face
3 Make a horizontal part from the top of your right ear, around the back of your head, to the top of your left ear

4 Take all the hair ABOVE the part, comb it out gently. Put the hair in a barrette (be sure it is not too tight at the top. You want the hair at the scalp to "give" slightly!
5 Comb out hair in barrette so that it is smooth

6 Divide in 3 sections and braid it loosely.

7 Take braid and holding it FLAT against your scalp, make a coil. Your aim is to have the coil cover the barrette. Using crimped hairpins, pin the braid in 4 places (north/south/east/west).

8 Voila...one braided bun

9 Rest of hair is loose...or braid remainder of hair, wind braid around braided bun. Pin w/hairpins.

Do not use bobby pins! They are only meant for very tiny whisps of hair.

You can use the "barrette" idea for a simple Dutch or French braid down the center of your head. If your hair is long enough, you can also do the Cameo bun.

Another lovely style that is relatively easy to do and is comfortable to wear all day is the Lilith Moon two strand accent rope braid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ&list=UUeRF3k69cJnxB87lwk9KbrA

As with any hairstyle, practice is everything. Before starting out, always detangle your hair. Good luck!

Gertrude
August 28th, 2014, 10:31 AM
I have 1 b slippery hair, but it's fine and not as thick or as long. But I recently admitted complete defeat on braids and up-dos held with sticks, Flexi-8s and forks with fewer than four prongs. Even if my hair is professionally put up with hair spray and GM back brushing it does not last the distance and begins to fall out after a couple of hours. Often they just sag so they're hanging precariously, or unfurl themselves or plain just fall out. I have too often have to put my hair back up any which way, really tight, without a mirror or comb so that the leverage held up the fork/ stick/ claw clip. Then I'd look in a mirror later and saw a very unflattering sight from the front. Demoralising in the extreme. Putting my hair up prevents the split ends I thought I would always get at the ends, but demoralising.

I tried the LWB/pencil bun/Nautilus, Gibson Tuck and French twist and French and Dutch braids. I had a professional French braid made with damp hair and hair spray and the hair worked itself loose so it looked a real lop sided mess after some hours.

I do the half up Madora described above, With a soft ponio stretchy knitted elastic at the end of each braid, with the second braid wound around it and hold the up do with a dozen wavy Amish hair pins. 9 2.5 inch and 3 3 inch ones and it holds. From 8 in the morning until midnight if need be.

It doesn't take that long to do, and no frustration.

I also do a knitted bun of a single braid, tied off, and a four pin Jeterfork.

A nice variation of that, for evening, looks good with sparkly accessories, is to braid my hair in three braids close together at the centre of the back of my head and then to braid them and hold with the Amish pins.

I can also do a pinned up cinnamon bun but it needs to be tight. I often put in a narrow fork/ flexi/ hair stick as a decoration, but the pins hold.