PDA

View Full Version : Silk Pillowcase?

jackie_rapunzel
August 27th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Hi lovelies! I hope you're all having a great week.

I've been reading a lot about people recommending using a silk pillowcase. I understand the reasoning behind this, but is it absolutely necessary? For me I do not see any hairs on my pillow case or notice any shedding at night. Am I just delusional or is it not necessary for everyone?

I'm currently using a jersey cotton pillowcase.

Thanks for your help!

burny
August 27th, 2014, 08:07 PM
I don't have one either, but am going to get one soon. I think the reason for it, is not for shedding, but because the friction of hair vs pillow causes 'damage'.. which doesn't really matter if you have short hair, but becomes more significant, the longer your hair is.

skeletonous
August 27th, 2014, 08:12 PM
^ I agree with burny on the friction causing damage :) I have had a silk pillowcase for quite some time now and I love it! I think it feels luxurious and it definitely keeps my hair from getting frizzy from tossing and turning at night. I'm sure it prevents a lot of damage too.

Madora
August 27th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Jackie_rapunzel, I've never used them either.

meteor
August 27th, 2014, 08:26 PM
It's desirable, but certainly not necessary.
It helps keep a style, cuts down on tangles, prevents cuticles from being roughened up, and it doesn't absorb moisture as fast as cotton and some other materials, so it helps keep hair moisturized for longer.

Imalath
August 27th, 2014, 09:16 PM
I slept on regular cotton and jersey cotton for years and never had many loose hairs on my pillows, but once I discovered how nicely silk controls my frizz I was hooked.

My cat sleeps on my pillow during the day and is prone to kneading at it with claws, so to save myself the hassle of a ruined silk pillowcase, I use a silk (or satin) scarf instead. I just lay it down over my pillow at night, and put it in the nightstand in the morning. That way all the pillows on my bed look the same, my cat doesn't destroy an expensive pillowcase while I'm at work, and with several scarves I can change them every few days to keep any accumulating bacteria away from my face and scalp. In the very coldest parts of winter I will use a flannel pillowcase and just wrap my hair with the scarf instead, but the rest of the year I like to let my scalp breathe.

MeowScat
August 27th, 2014, 09:39 PM
I'm surprised how much more my hair slips and slides on a satin pillowcase. It really does minimize tangles in my hair. They're not expensive, I bought mine on amazon.

You also might like how soft and cool it feels. Your hair might thank you! :)

Knifegill
August 28th, 2014, 12:08 AM
What about T-shirt material? I find silk cold and yucky. Any alternatives?

jackie_rapunzel
August 28th, 2014, 08:36 PM
This is super helpful! I may give it a try and see if I notice a difference (and it sounds like I will!)

Thanks everyone :)

woodswanderer
August 28th, 2014, 09:25 PM
Not necessary at all, but some people like it and have good results from it. I never use one.

Kitten1030
August 28th, 2014, 09:33 PM
I love my silk pillowcase! I think the cotton ones feel icky now. I'm spoiled. I don't know if they make a dramatic difference to my hair because I kinda changed everything all at once and since using a silk pillowcase I don't use anything else. So basically I am no help at all. You're welcome.:p

meteor
August 28th, 2014, 09:35 PM
Oh, and silk pillowcases are good not only for hair, but also for skin - less puffiness and wrinkles from rubbing skin against the material. :)

Kitten1030
August 28th, 2014, 09:37 PM
Oh, and silk pillowcases are good not only for hair, but also for skin - less puffiness and wrinkles from rubbing skin against the material. :)

I've heard this too, and also that they can help if you are acne prone.

Wildcat Diva
August 28th, 2014, 10:05 PM
I have a local Salvation Army thrift store that has blouses for a $1. Quite often I find a silk blouse with a seamless back that I just put over my regular pillowcase. No fuss.

wool
August 29th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Just had my first night on silk pillowcases last night and I have to say my hair definitely was less frizzy in the morning. Im pretty sure I move a lot in my sleep and so I wake up with my hair everywhere even when i braid it. With the silk it looked almost the same as when i went to sleep and it doesn't hurt that the silk just feels quite nice.

Kitten1030
August 29th, 2014, 05:14 PM
I have a local Salvation Army thrift store that has blouses for a $1. Quite often I find a silk blouse with a seamless back that I just put over my regular pillowcase. No fuss.

That is genius!

captaincrunch
August 29th, 2014, 05:17 PM
I recommend a silk night hair cap. You can pick them up for a couple $ at Sally Beauty. It's cheaper than buying a collection of pillow cases IMO.

Lazy Loop
August 29th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Is a satin pillowcase helpful? :sleep:

jackie_rapunzel
September 2nd, 2014, 07:32 PM
Ohhhh a silk hair cap would nice! I think I may do that instead. I want my cases to all match haha

Zesty
September 2nd, 2014, 07:57 PM
I recommend a silk night hair cap. You can pick them up for a couple $ at Sally Beauty. It's cheaper than buying a collection of pillow cases IMO.
I used to use both! (And I will again once I get around to buying another cap, since the elastic wore out on the last one.) It was a lifesaver for my TBL hair. Having a silk pillowcase helps the cap not fall off at night -- and if it does, you have backup. I'm kind of a rough sleeper though and also extra fastidious about damage, so some might say that's overkill. :p

Stellaaa
September 2nd, 2014, 08:14 PM

This is exactly what I do. Useful for travel, too. I figure a blouse is much less likely to end up in the hotel laundry, and if it does, so what, it only cost a couple of bucks (ours aren't $1 but close enough).

The only problem I have with silk and other satin pillowcases is sweatiness. I am a sweaty beast (although I love the heat). Someone mentioned upthread how silk is less absorbent than cotton, and thus keeps hair more moisturized. Can't argue with that logic. But my head gets wet with sweat and the satin becomes a sauna. I keep a cotton pillowcase under the satin shirt for those warm nights.

gthlvrmx
September 2nd, 2014, 08:50 PM
I use a silk pillowcase and i love it! It's a little rough but it does the job. I don't have any split ends so far since i went bald so that's a good sign. I like how i don't wake up with a smelly wet head full of sweat! When i had satin, my head would be so sweaty it was awful i would smell bad and it just was not nice waking up wet :p Silk is the way to go for me! I don't have that problem anymore! :)

Larki
September 2nd, 2014, 08:53 PM
I have a polyester satin pillowcase - is this any better/worse than actual silk?

gthlvrmx
September 2nd, 2014, 08:55 PM
I have a polyester satin pillowcase - is this any better/worse than actual silk?
As long as it gets the job done but i think silk is supposed to be better than satin. Silk breathes a little better than satin.

CJCHair-stylist
September 3rd, 2014, 03:10 AM
I have a sleeping cap, but sometimes I really don`t feel like wearing it - then I braid my hair and I stick a satin petticoat over my pillow. It works really well.