PDA

View Full Version : I quit highlighting, but the grays are not behaving!

Juliet15
August 27th, 2014, 11:19 AM
I quit highlighting (heavy highlighting) about 3 months ago because I felt I was getting a lot of damage. Well, now I am noticing quite a few grays that stick out and seem to be impossible to tame. They lay on top of the rest of my hair and stick out in any and all directions. They resist smoothing with oils, and with a leave in conditioner. I really don't want to color my hair, but this looks terrible. A friend said she just pulls hers out for now, but there are too many. I don't want to do that and at the rate they are popping up, I'd soon be bald. Anyone have any suggestions??

spidermom
August 27th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Rub some styling gel between wet palms, then run palms over the surface of your hair after styling. Most of those grays will probably lay down, although some may need a second application.

Anje
August 27th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Are they short? It seems to me that when they're sprouting up like crazy, they stand on end for a few inches, then start to lie down properly. I agree with Spidermom -- a dab of gel should hold them nicely.

If they're only in your part, it might not be a bad idea to try moving it a bit, see if you can't smash them down under a layer of hair. ;)

Juliet15
August 27th, 2014, 12:28 PM
Oh no Anje, I tried moving my part to the other side and they stuck straight, and I mean STRAIGHT up!! And there were even more of them on that side! Even my DH had to laugh!! LOL!! But seriously ladies, any advice on the type or brand of gel I should get? I can never seem to get the right product for what I want to do, or maybe I am just inept ( a good possibility!!).

Theobroma
August 27th, 2014, 02:17 PM
I just use AVG. I had the same issue with my silvers until they were long enough to lie down and play nice with their neighbours. Essentially all our baby hairs do that, but the silvers are much more conspicuous. Hang in there and glue 'em down until they get the idea and behave themselves! :D

ErinLeigh
August 27th, 2014, 10:17 PM
I get those also. Nightblooming Panacea keeps mine down. I rub the Panacea between my palms then smooth it down over the greys. I am sure gel probably works better, but I fiddle with my hair too much to style it into place more firmly.

browneyedsusan
August 28th, 2014, 09:11 AM
AVG isn't powerful enough for me. (My grays are hennaed, but I have a lot of them and they stick up!)

I'd just get something with enough gusto to get-r-done: extra strength super holding windproof pomade. :rollin:

lapushka
August 28th, 2014, 10:21 AM
I use Eco Styler gel. It's alcohol & silicone free and it's amazing. I have the olive oil one, but there are many options (argan oil, etc.).