PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to grow to waist

aforestfae
August 27th, 2014, 02:51 AM
I really want to get to waist but every time I get close I end up cutting my hair and it ends up back at bra strap.
Last time I measured my hair was 26" and my goal is 31"
I am really lazy with my hair and only wash every 3rd day and condition (either a leave in or heavy conditioner) I have oils but don't use them, I try to comb rather than use a paddle brush after washing and I don't detangle my hair much once it's dry until I wash again.
I don't put it up much, I can never decide what to do with it and then it doesn't stay up well. I have two hair sticks, claw clips and lots of other hair accessories for pinning my hair up but they don't hold my hair up for long.
I get fed up with it and end up not caring for it any more, Those with or growing to waist or longer, how did you keep motivated and how long did it take you?
I'm not sure what to do with my hair any more, What could I do to forget about growing it and keep it protected without having to spend lots of time on it?
Any tips, style suggestions or even just your experience growing to waist?

schatten
August 27th, 2014, 03:23 AM
I think you should try to put it up more often. Choose an easy hairstyle like Nautilus or Lazy Wrap, and make this hairstyle every time you don't know what to do with your hair. For variation you can do other hairstyles for sure, but when you don't know what to do, just put it in an easy to go bun. This helped me a lot too.

Ingrid
August 27th, 2014, 03:46 AM
The easiest way is just to put it up and forget about it, and go about doing things in your day and learning new skills, as opposed to constantly thinking about the length of your hair. It'll end up at waist eventually, and you wouldn't really think about cutting it if it's up and out of your way.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 27th, 2014, 03:57 AM
I found that for me, the easiest thing to do was to find a simple but protective way to wear it up, trying not to do things I knew were damaging (using heat on it, allowing the ends to rub against clothing, the backs of chairs, purse straps etc). For motivation whenever I got the urge to chop, I came on here and looked at other people's glorious hair, and it encouraged me to believe that one day I might have hair like that too.

Also if you want to, you can take a length photo of your hair once a month and then you can see the growth happening and the hair improving in condition too, from all the good LHC advice. That's fun to see!

Happy growing!

Firefox7275
August 27th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Nautilus and easy wrap buns with hairsticks take a little practice to get to hold, but they are not difficult and super fast once you get the knack. Spin Pins are amazing and can hold cinnamon buns for a couple of days.

RapunzelKat
August 27th, 2014, 08:38 AM
Nautilus and easy wrap buns with hairsticks take a little practice to get to hold, but they are not difficult and super fast once you get the knack. Spin Pins are amazing and can hold cinnamon buns for a couple of days.

This ^^ Keeping your hair up does take practice! :)

Have you tried braids at all? A nice side braid or French braid can help protect your hair too, and might be easier to learn. (Buns are generally a little more protective, but a your length a braid could work well too. Just don't let it get caught on stuff! :D)

Juliet15
August 27th, 2014, 09:05 AM
I'm no where near waist, but I understand getting frustrated and then cutting. Now every time I get to that point, I look at all the beautiful pictures here and remember why I want to grow it to begin with. I tell myself a day of frustration should not undo all the growth I have achieved so far. I have cut out of frustration so many times, then I always have regret. Good Luck!!:o

sourgrl
August 27th, 2014, 09:16 AM
The distance between BSL and waist seems sooo long! At BSL the easiest bun for me was a disc bun, held with one stick. Also ficcares and flexi clips are great at that length. Once I got to mid back lazy wrap buns were (still are) my go to bun. Keeping it up really is the easiest way to get to your next goal. It keeps it protected and the 'out of sight out of mind' helps prevent the feeling it's not growing. Above all, patience :flower:

Madora
August 27th, 2014, 09:33 AM
I really want to get to waist but every time I get close I end up cutting my hair and it ends up back at bra strap.
Last time I measured my hair was 26" and my goal is 31"
I am really lazy with my hair and only wash every 3rd day and condition (either a leave in or heavy conditioner) I have oils but don't use them, I try to comb rather than use a paddle brush after washing and I don't detangle my hair much once it's dry until I wash again.
I don't put it up much, I can never decide what to do with it and then it doesn't stay up well. I have two hair sticks, claw clips and lots of other hair accessories for pinning my hair up but they don't hold my hair up for long.
I get fed up with it and end up not caring for it any more, Those with or growing to waist or longer, how did you keep motivated and how long did it take you?
I'm not sure what to do with my hair any more, What could I do to forget about growing it and keep it protected without having to spend lots of time on it?
Any tips, style suggestions or even just your experience growing to waist?

If you want waist length hair, being lazy isn't going to do it.

Long hair means tons of patience and a willingness to go the extra mile to achieve it. So, assuming that you are eating properly, to protect it so that it will grow longer, put it up. If you don't know how to braid, learn.

Detangling every day with a wide tooth comb is very important. If you only comb every so often, you're inviting more tangle trouble.

If your hair toys aren't doing the job, then consider: are they too big for the amount of your hair? Are you using them properly?

There are plenty of hair tutorials on you tube that show how to care for all lengths of hair. Torrin Paige, in particular, has many lovely videos. Also check out Lilith Moon's site.

As for what to do to forget about growing it: find some other hobby to keep you interested. Don't keep checking for length every week. That will drive you nuts.

It is very easy to keep it protected w/o having to spend lots of time on it!! Learn how to braid! Use a silk pillowcase cover.

If you find that after reading this long hair care is not your cup of tea, well, fine! You can still have beautiful short, healthy hair...but you have to work at it, just as you do when it is longer! There are no shortcuts if you want healthy hair!

aforestfae
August 27th, 2014, 10:17 AM
I will need to start putting it up more, last time it seemed to benefit my hair, although I never reached waist.
I've become terrible with my hair care, other things have been my focus at the moment and my hair has been forgotten.
So I need to detangle a little more, probably oil too, roughly how often should you oil hair?
I have a satin pillow case and have made it a habit to use it.
Really need to use a hair mask a bit more frequently too.

Also what exactly is classed as benign neglect?

Inching Along
August 27th, 2014, 06:07 PM
If you want waist length hair, being lazy isn't going to do it.

Long hair means tons of patience and a willingness to go the extra mile to achieve it. So, assuming that you are eating properly, to protect it so that it will grow longer, put it up. If you don't know how to braid, learn.

Detangling every day with a wide tooth comb is very important. If you only comb every so often, you're inviting more tangle trouble.

If your hair toys aren't doing the job, then consider: are they too big for the amount of your hair? Are you using them properly?

There are plenty of hair tutorials on you tube that show how to care for all lengths of hair. Torrin Paige, in particular, has many lovely videos. Also check out Lilith Moon's site.

As for what to do to forget about growing it: find some other hobby to keep you interested. Don't keep checking for length every week. That will drive you nuts.

It is very easy to keep it protected w/o having to spend lots of time on it!! Learn how to braid! Use a silk pillowcase cover.

If you find that after reading this long hair care is not your cup of tea, well, fine! You can still have beautiful short, healthy hair...but you have to work at it, just as you do when it is longer! There are no shortcuts if you want healthy hair!

Great information, Madora! Thank you for the encouragement whatever the choice of length. :)

bonbon58
August 27th, 2014, 07:38 PM
I am in the same boat of growing to waist. Thank you everyone for sharing your tips!
I've also found that collecting hair toys is another inspiration to stop being lazy and put my hair up every day :p

FrozenBritannia
August 27th, 2014, 07:48 PM
I'm past waist, and I found that braids are my best bet. For some reason I'm not so good at buns. I love a side braid, or a crown braid, but I've been known to throw in a fishtail or french/dutch braid as well. Braided buns are another good bet, with amish pins to hold it.

Madora
August 27th, 2014, 09:00 PM
My pleasure, Inching Along! Short hair can be very beautiful too.

@Aforestfae, benign neglect is basically doing as little as possible to keep your hair healthy. Of course there are difference approaches as to what encompasses benign neglect. Personally, bn for me is: detangling gently every day with my wide tooth comb, brushing daily with my bbb in the bent at the waist position. Washing once a month. S and Ding once a week, airdrying only. I don't believe in putting anything on my hair except my George Michael Pink Crème Shampoo (diluted) and 4 drops of mineral oil to detangle and moisturize (the oil is placed on my hands, then the palms are run thru my hair. It is never applied directly to the scalp). "Less is more" is my motto. My hair is always up and braided, 24/7.

ghost
August 28th, 2014, 12:53 AM
Wearing my hair French braided keeps me from going insane while still actively growing. The wait time in between BSL and waist felt INSANELY long to me, but wearing my hair braided most of the time let me still see some length while keeping most of my hair protected. You'll get there!

Johannah
August 28th, 2014, 09:10 AM
Laziness isn't going to get you anywhere. I forgot about this forum for a year and there was a HUGE difference in my hair, especially my ends. Thank goodness I needed to cut those anyway because I needed to get rid of layers.

Wear your hair up, find a routine that suits you and leave it alone. And stick with it. When I used oils, I used it every week or every other week. I left it overnight. If you don't like that, you could use it only on your ends and use a flexi or another hair toy (no wood!) to hold it in a bun. No one will notice your hair is oiled. If you're too lazy to do extra treatments, try the CWC or the WCC method. Or instead of using heavy oilings, use some drops on your hair when freshly washed or use a leave-in conditioner.

And seriously, stay on this forum. It's easy to forget about it if you're busy, but it'll remind you that you NEED to care for your hair to grow it long and healthy.

lapushka
August 28th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Try wearing it up in a peacock twist (if it's longer than APL, which it is, you might need to fold the twist). Secure it with a claw. I wore my hair from APL all the way to waist like that. It held like a rock! You do need a claw that's big enough, though. Securing it with a barrette or flexi8/Ficcare is an option as well.