PDA

View Full Version : Should I grow out virgin?

Scelesta
August 27th, 2014, 12:35 AM
I just recently dyed my hair black again(I should have put the two week rule before I made this drastic choice :( ) While I love it it was going through old pictures and came across one that made me stop for a moment and wonder....

I dont have any of my virgin hair, the closest i have is maybe a shade or two lighter, I'm not sure if it looks good with my skin tone or what not, My natural shade you can see in the roots on this picture. Its from i think 3 years ago if the timestamps to be believed XD (ya'll do not want to know what I did to my hair to get it that straight...it was terrible and smelled so bad and once it wore off my hair was ruined and i had to cut off a few inches to save it) I dont think my natural shade is at all complmentary to my skin I'm super pale and its such a weird shade of blonde its a pain...(then again I have not EVER had it grown out virgin since it changed from white blonde of my childhood, to the weird shade it is today)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/kick-the-kitten/311093_10150854731065707_1912365785_n_zps01dd1c83. jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kick-the-kitten/media/311093_10150854731065707_1912365785_n_zps01dd1c83. jpg.html)

So with that! Should I grow it out virgin?(Maybe risk a color oops to remove the black so its not such a painful looking growout?) I am kinda curious about what my hair color is naturally and what it looks like fully grown out, Or grow out virgin then dye with a golden color to get it like the above picture. I seriously dont know, and its really something I need help deciding on. Regardless this time I Fully intend to put a two week wait on anything i decide to do my hair, maybe even a month...I'm prone to terrible decisions x.x

Ingrid
August 27th, 2014, 12:42 AM
I think you should go for it! But, growing out natural hair is a big commitment... you probably won't be able to tell what your hair colour actually is until you have at least a year of growth.The sucess of growing out hair really depends on how well you stick to NOT dyeing your hair. It's a very rewarding process though, because the quality of natural hair is so much better than chemically treated hair.

SkyChild
August 27th, 2014, 12:51 AM
I would. Just to try it.
I'm a dye-holic and have been nearly every colour imaginable. I also decide on a whim to dye it some ludicrous colour and regret it afterwards.
Try a colour oops and grow from there. And just promise yourself not to dye it again for a good while. If you grow it out and hate it, you can always dye it again, but if you wait til then you'll probably realise how soft and silky and shiny it is

YumiYume
August 27th, 2014, 01:09 AM
Hi!

Sorry to hear that you regretted your choice of hairclour :(, if it is for any comfort, I've been there to ;)
I think your right about not wanting to know how you got it that straight then :bigeyes:,

It looks like you have the same dark blonde as me, I am pale to and right now my virgin hair is down to my ears and it looks much nicer than it first did :). It do compliment the skin after it have been growing for a while, its like a soft combination. I did not know how it would look like eathet since I used to colour mine aswell so I got curious, the henna faded to a brown so I was not happy with it anyway. It did look washed away compared to coloured next to it, but that feeling went away as it grew. it turned out to not be as dark as the roots showed first eather and right now my hair is 3-toned. virgin to my ears, henna to my shoulders and rest chemica treated. It actualy looks pretty :). it was a hairdresser who bleached a purple colour away (it got so damaged afterwards, and she cut of way to much before she even started), so I dont have experience with colour-oops =/.

If you have not yet decided on a colour you feel is you, and dont know how you virgin hair will look like I'd say to give it a go, but remember, patient is the key thats easy to drop ;).

hope it will turn out good for you :)!

GetMeToWaist
August 27th, 2014, 02:19 AM
I think it would look gorgeous, please do! You won't get the colour damage and its easier to grow to great lengths :D

Juanita
August 27th, 2014, 02:57 AM
Thought I'd share this one of my daughter. She like you was a white blond as a child and darker as she grew older. She dyed bleached and generally had fun with her hair. It was usually about MBL. About 4 years ago she pixied it to get rid of damage and re grow out for her wedding (2years ago) and put in blond highlights. She let it grow out and this is her all natural hair. Like you she is pale skinned, no tan.so go for it.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d21/peachymango2002/null_zpsa539b4ed.jpg

Agnieszka
August 27th, 2014, 03:35 AM
I think your natural colour is beautiful!

FoxyGhost
August 27th, 2014, 04:14 AM
I have a cousin with similiar coloring and natural hair color as you and I think it suits her. Your virgin color is light enough that you could probably still change up the color once in a while with manic panic or something and not feel guilty that you are damaging your hair.

Scelesta
August 27th, 2014, 04:49 AM
I think my mind is made up now :) I'm gonna color oops it on on friday budget permitting and let grow and stick to manic panic dyes only if i get the urge to do it. Not just cause of the dislike of the color, but due to the fact I think my hair is thinning and its looking painfully obvious with the black hair...I dont like feeling so self conscious that my hair looks thin(its really noticeable to me in the front section near my bangs, and my part is much larger then it used to be in the pic i posted, and the overall volume of my hair has gone down..I'm not sure whats going on with it i cant recall this ever happening before *sighs* ) I'm hoping it wont be so...obvious if my hairs natural. And yes next time i see my doctor i'm asking him about it, I havent yet cause we've been trying to sort out other health concerns, but i'm getting the feeling they are all tied together knowing my luck...

peachyleshy
August 27th, 2014, 04:56 AM
It looks like if you're going by everyone's decision in here, you're going to be growing it out! And I think you should too! And if you're at ear length you don't have too much dyed hair.
You just won't know how you feel about it until you have it all grown out or where there's a substantial amount.
My sister has similar coloring to you and she's always complained about not being pretty or flattering, yet she hasn't really seen it in 10+ years. So I wish she would grow it out. I think it would be pretty with her fair freckeled skin and dark blue eyes!

fiğrildi
August 27th, 2014, 05:35 AM
I think your virgin colour suits you skin in a nice way, and personally, I like it more than the blonde dye you wear in the picture. So go for it! Manic panic dyes sound like a good option, if you ever get bored in the process of growing out natural :)

lapushka
August 27th, 2014, 08:57 AM
It's still short enough that you can go for it. But I wouldn't keep changing my mind. You went henna, you went black, now you want your old color back (for how long)?

Crumpet
August 27th, 2014, 09:34 AM
Checkout the thread on 'blonette' pride -- your natural hair colour (probably slightly darker than my own) is one of the rarest hair colours to find in its natural state. People often like to push it into blonde, dark brown/black rather than leave it be.

As for my experiences: I highlighted/lowlighted my hair for a bit and then grew out the natural (18 months highlight/lowlight free!). I love it now and I think it really suits me. I love not having to worry about the colour and the damage it did. And, surprisingly to me, I get WAY more compliments on my hair colour than ever before. People like that it changes from dark-dark blonde in the shade to bright blonde in the sun and that I have reddish highlights that were masked when I had fake highlights. One thing that comes out in the blonette pride thread is that its a popular colour for models because its such a pretty hair colour against lots of different skin tones.

In any event, you should do what you like with your hair, regarless of what we have to say.

RapunzelKat
August 27th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Glad to hear you're going to try growing out your natural color! :D I am finding that the longer the natural part of my hair gets, the better it suits me and the more I like it. And Manic Panic is a great idea! That way you can impulsively change your color anytime you like without damage. :bluebiggr

Hope your doctor is able to help you pinpoint the cause of the thinning. :flower:

Scarlet_Heart
August 27th, 2014, 09:58 AM
It's still short enough that you can go for it. But I wouldn't keep changing my mind. You went henna, you went black, now you want your old color back (for how long)?

Yep. I think you should pick something and stick with it. The back and forth does a number on your hair.

And it's just my personal opinion that everyone's natural hair color is complementary to their skin tone. I kind of just see it as a natural law.

curlylocks85
August 27th, 2014, 10:02 AM
This is a big decision. I cannot tell you what you should do. You have to make this decision yourself. However, I can tell you about my choice of growing virgin hair. I don't color my hair now, but I did get highlights once. I thought my natural hair color did not look right on me or my complexion as well as people telling me I should color my hair so I would look better. I bought into that and I went and had my hair highlighted. I liked it at first but after awhile I realized how danaged my hair was. At this point, I decided that I wanted to grow it out. also, during this time in my life I was also getting relaxers every 3 to 4 months. this also caused a lot of damage and it stopped me from growing my hair past BSL because it was so damaged and unhealthy. As my hair was growing out, I realize that I actually like my hair color because no one in the world has my shade of hair color except me. I still flat ironed my hair at this point and I stoped getting the relaxers because I could not afford them anymore. My hair was still damaged and I could not grow it out. After a while of contemplating what I wanted to do with my hair, I finally decided that I wanted to accept my hair for what it is and stop trying to make it what it's not and that is when I decided that I'm no longer going to put heat on my hair nor am I going to color it and this way I can be comfortable with myself and feel good about my hair. Honestly, I don't find anything wrong when people grow out hair color and they have a demarcation line. I think it's very pretty. Now that I have accepted my hair for what it is, I am very happy with my hair. My hair is healthy and looks good now. This is how I came to grow virgin hair. As I said at the beginning, this is a personal chouce and you have to decide what you are willing to live with. Whatever you choose, you have my support. :)

maskedrose
August 27th, 2014, 10:27 AM
I would agree with the other posters...I personally think your natural color would suit your skin tone very well (much better than the blonde dye in the photo), but it does require commitment. I'm 1.5 years into growing out many years of subtle highlighting, and I also get many compliments on my natural color. As it grows, its a very unique reddish honey blonde and I absolutely love it. The virgin growth is also visibly smoother and healthier, so it's definitely been a rewarding journey thus far :)

Henwyn
August 27th, 2014, 10:44 AM
I definitely vote for growing out your natural hair color, I think it would be very flattering.

And I also wanted to suggest that you try a protein treatment before you do anything else to your hair. I never see anyone mention it, but I kind of think of it as an on-the-head stretch test. You aren't losing hair, it's just thin and stretched out. So look into trying the gelatin recipe from the sciencey hair blog and see if it works for you.

queenovnight
August 27th, 2014, 01:20 PM
In my opinion, ones natural color always looks best with their skin-tone. But I would grow out virgin if I were you. Who knows, you might love it.. if not, you can always go back to coloring.

spidermom
August 27th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Dye damage can definitely thin your hair; many have complained of this, then became overjoyed by how much thicker their natural color was. I think you have a good plan in place with Manic Panic type dyes only. The longest lasting for me was Punky by Jerome Russell, and it was a wonderful conditioning treatment as well.

Kirzja
August 27th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Excellent choice, you'll be amazed at how healthy and beautiful your virgin hair will be!

I know from personal experience that chemical dye can cause terrible damage.
I stopped coloring my hair 18 months ago.
Only now that my virgin hair is growing in so soft and shiny I've come to realize how badly damaged it was before.

Good luck with your journey to virgin hair!