PDA

View Full Version : Is it seasonal shed time now?

DarleneH
August 26th, 2014, 09:52 PM
Or is there even anything to that, or is it a myth? I went from losing a few hairs when I'd detangle to losing a scary amount the last 2 times I've washed (water only a couple days ago, and then light shampoo on scalp only tonight). The only reason I washed tonight is because my scalp was sore, so I'm trying to decide if I'm having scalp issues from washing so infrequently (been trying to do sebum only and little manipulation as much as possible), or could be work stress, or the seasonal thing. I'm losing not just extra long hairs that could be at terminal, but also shorter baby hairs. I've had no health issues other than the work stress, but it seems like that's never really led to a shed.

animetor7
August 26th, 2014, 09:57 PM
Maybe you could try clarifying? I really don't know a ton about shedding, but I do know that clarifying tends to help most hair problems. I wish I could have helped more! Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will reply. Hugs anyways. Major sheds suck! :grouphug:

lapushka
August 27th, 2014, 03:24 AM
No it's not a myth. For me it's September and early spring. Still hasn't happened here yet, but it's gonna!

YGDW
August 27th, 2014, 04:20 AM
I feel like I shed a bit more the last days. The temperatures have also been quite low here (really bad autumn weather with a lot of rain), so maybe my body considers it an early autumn. :)

stachelbeere
August 27th, 2014, 04:26 AM
same here! I've been shedding a bit more too :)

DarleneH
August 27th, 2014, 05:35 AM
Ok, I'm not so worried now. Thanks, guys!!!

urs
August 27th, 2014, 06:21 AM
oh great, I was also thinking about the seasonal shedding and stuff. Its great to know that everyone goes through it and its not just a handful of us. :) :toast:

Squiggy
August 27th, 2014, 08:42 AM
Oh no, I forgot about this! Last year I shed a lot in the fall! So far I haven't noticed anything, but it hasn't really started cooling down all that much lately. I'll be keeping an eye out now, though!

Nadine <3
August 27th, 2014, 09:25 AM
I've been shedding quite a bit more the last week or so as well.

DarleneH
August 27th, 2014, 11:49 AM
By chance, do any of you hair wizards know the biological reasons for this?

pixldust
August 27th, 2014, 12:00 PM
The weather's cooled down here quite a bit over the last week or two and I seem to be shedding more than I usually would. As nothing has changed in terms of my routine or lifestyle I'm going to chalk it up to a seasonal shed and just keep an eye on the situation. I hope your shedding is over quickly.

mithrandir
August 27th, 2014, 01:46 PM
I'm glad to hear this is something that happens and is normal! I've been freaking out because lately it feels like so much is falling out...but then again work has been horrendously stressful, too. What's a normal amount of hair to lose daily during a seasonal shed?

oktobergoud
August 27th, 2014, 02:08 PM
I'm shedding a lot for the past few weeks! It's kinda scary, but I guess it's only temporary/seasonal or something :)

Fairlight63
August 27th, 2014, 03:31 PM
I also am shedding a LOT especially when I wash my hair! I am surprised that I have any hair left the way that it is coming out!

jeanniet
August 27th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Supposedly it really is a myth (can't remember where I read that, though), but I have had a heavy shed in late spring/early summer for years now, and often another lighter one in the fall. So if it's a myth, I don't know why I shed like clockwork every year. Mine usually last 2 weeks, sometimes 3. Keep an eye on it, and if it continues, worry, but otherwise I'd just watch it.

meteor
August 27th, 2014, 07:10 PM
It's not a myth. Mammals, including humans, have hair growth/shed cycles. The bigger shed occurs around early fall with a smaller one around spring-time.
For normal hair, between 90% and 95% of follicles are growing at any one time, while 5% to 10% are resting (natural hair loss of between 50 and 100 hairs each day is normal). But in spring and fall, the figure may well be higher. Scientists hypothesize that exposure to sunshine which could affect your body’s hormones, switching more follicles over into the resting phase.
Research suggests that women experience slightly higher rates of telogen during the month of July, which sees the affected hairs falling out around 100 days later, in mid-October or November. It's unclear why this happens, but some suggest that stress brought on by summer heat might provide some explanation.
Swedish scientists examining this phenomenon suggested that women grow more hair during summer months to protect their scalps from hot sun and ultraviolet radiation. And in fall, this additional growth is no longer required and is therefore shed.

A good quick read on this with useful references to relevant research: http://www.keratin.com/aa/aa015.shtml

DarkSunny
August 27th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Huh, interesting...

I've been noticing some increased shedding these past few weeks as well.

jeanniet
August 27th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Well, now I really wish I could remember where I had read the business about it being a myth--not that I believed it anyway, at least not in my case, since I had a well-established history of seasonal shedding.

ETA: Though as I mentioned my seasonal shed pattern is reversed, with the heavy shed around late May/early June.

lapushka
August 28th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Can't remember when I shed the heaviest, in fall or spring. These last few years it's not been too too much and it has been pretty evenly divided. Not so much in earlier years. Maybe it's just that I'm getting older. I'm in my early forties BTW. Hmm. You think age has anything to do with it as well? Hormones? :hmm:

Johannah
August 28th, 2014, 10:58 AM
I notice I'm shedding a bit more as well, though it's not too bad. I never really noticed an actual shed, I guess.

meteor
August 28th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Can't remember when I shed the heaviest, in fall or spring. These last few years it's not been too too much and it has been pretty evenly divided. Not so much in earlier years. Maybe it's just that I'm getting older. I'm in my early forties BTW. Hmm. You think age has anything to do with it as well? Hormones? :hmm:

Yes, age and general condition drive hormones, and hormones pretty much run the show to a large extent.

And you are young, lapushka! :D If it worries you, you can mention this to your doctor and run some tests.
And if your ponytail circumference is pretty much the same and you aren't seeing any thinning patches, the shed hair is probably being replaced with new growth, so nothing to worry about.
Also, thicker hair sheds more than thinner hair, it's the rate of replacement/regrowth that keeps us, iiis, from going bald after shedding cat-sized hairballs every day.

Juniper.
August 28th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Yep, I've been shedding noticeably more hair during washing these last weeks since the weather turned. Completely forgot the exact same thing happened last autumn too - I'd been worrying!

missblueeyes
August 28th, 2014, 02:09 PM
I've been shedding an awful lot of hair after clarifying today so I think it's a bit of both. It was a bit of a shock, really.

spidermom
August 28th, 2014, 02:14 PM
My shed is in late summer/early fall. I've read that it has something to do with decreased daylight hours.

lapushka
August 28th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Yes, age and general condition drive hormones, and hormones pretty much run the show to a large extent.

And you are young, lapushka! :D If it worries you, you can mention this to your doctor and run some tests.
And if your ponytail circumference is pretty much the same and you aren't seeing any thinning patches, the shed hair is probably being replaced with new growth, so nothing to worry about.
Also, thicker hair sheds more than thinner hair, it's the rate of replacement/regrowth that keeps us, iiis, from going bald after shedding cat-sized hairballs every day.

Thanks! ;) And no, no thinning here, otherwise I'd sure would have mentioned it! Yeah, cat-sized hair balls. That sounds familiar! :lol:

Aderyn
August 28th, 2014, 02:47 PM
I shed a bit more in spring. Lately, I've actually been shedding a little bit less. When I washed my hair the other day, I think I had maybe 2/3 the amount of shed hair. Was quite a striking difference, really.

DreamSheep
August 28th, 2014, 04:47 PM
I haven't really kept track of sheds, but I do feel as if I'm losing more hair and my hair feels somewhat thinner.
I wouldn't be surprised if there is a seasonal basis to it, I have heard about seasonal falls before.

sarahchant
September 3rd, 2014, 08:04 PM
I'm glad someone posted this because I was beginning to feel worried about how much hair I've lost in the shower the last few days. I hardly shed at all this summer and then in the last week I have lost a ton of hair. It really worries me. This will be the first time I move into the autumn season (or any season) really paying attention to my hair so I'm hoping it's only a seasonal thing.

Saldana
September 3rd, 2014, 08:40 PM
It is definitely shedding season for me. Starts at the end of August...usually I am in full shed mode until sometime in October. Used to FREAK me out! But then I found LHC, and found out that, no, not all of my hair was going to fall out. :)

DweamGoiL
September 3rd, 2014, 09:00 PM
I must jump on the shedding band wagon as well. I just noticed it this past wash, but it was definitely much more hair loss than over the Summer months.

Adiro
September 3rd, 2014, 10:39 PM
I wanted to say something similar to what Meteor explained, about us being mammals and such. But she did a beautiful job already.
Anyway, I am shedding tons too, but I blame it on post partum hormones as well. I just had my return of AF, 8 month pp.
My pets ( dog and cat) both shed a whole lot more in spring and in fall time, spring to lose the winter mane, so that they can stay a bit cooler during summer, and then again in the fall, to lose the litttle summer hairs and grow the big hair for winter.
I think at a more "quiet" level we go through the same thing, really. The head is very important for body temperature regulation, and we lose 40 percent of body heat through head alone, so shedding for summer is explained that way.
and the hours of sun light and temperature fluctuations all regulate so many of our metabolic processes, I dont see why they wouldn't influence hair growth and shedding as well.

but Work stress, while not necessarily the main factor, could still contribute to a bigger shedding than usual.

Hedera
September 21st, 2014, 08:20 AM
Yes, I do notice an autumn shed (not so much in spring).

Usually in October, but it was a bit earlier this year - in fact, the shedding seems to get less again already.

I always get some nice fast growth in summer, which is then followed by a fall shed; my guess is that the whole cycle speeds up for a few months, first the growing then then dying off and falling out.

lapushka
September 21st, 2014, 08:23 AM
Looks like it's started for me. I shed about 1/4 more, today anyway after washing (which is when I notice).

Agnes Hannah
September 21st, 2014, 08:42 AM
Yep, I'm moulting too, happens every autumn and again at spring, but less so. It doesn't worry me anymore as it is a routine cycle. I don't lose any off my circumference and the shed only lasts for a short time thank goodness!

Naphthylamine
September 25th, 2014, 02:58 AM
'Tis the season for me too, apparently... I've been shedding four times more than usual for about 2 weeks now. I ran a full blood scan and everything is fine. I've started taking Solgar's Skin, Nail & Hair formula yesterday and changed my shampoo to an anti-hairloss brand and will see how it goes. I've definitely noticed some thinning but my half up looks the same as before. Also since the blood work came out well, I'm not panicking yet. :D

mamaherrera
October 10th, 2014, 07:45 PM
My thing is that I noticed my ponytail circum. go down just a little, not much, but like 3mm. Could a seasonal shed cause that???

tokugawa.miyako
October 10th, 2014, 08:07 PM
Yup, it seems to be a real thing. I've definitely been shedding more lately. I have been told that no one notices any changes, so I'm not too worried about it.

mamaherrera
October 10th, 2014, 08:13 PM
But others have said it doesn't affect their circumference, and mine has changed a bit!

lapushka
October 12th, 2014, 05:29 PM
But others have said it doesn't affect their circumference, and mine has changed a bit!

Circumference is a "general" number. Subtle variations within that number *do* occur. The key is not to start measuring obsessively at every turn.

Anje
October 12th, 2014, 05:56 PM
Pretty sure it started for me, maybe two weeks ago. Finally recognized that fall shedding season was likely to blame.

I'm ready for it to be over now, m'kay?

mamaherrera
October 12th, 2014, 06:27 PM
But is 4mm still a "normal" variation? I'm watching it close now because I am also starting to shed again normall after having gone 10 months of virtually no shed due to pregnancy. My husband says this drop back to my "normal" circumference, is just because the "fantasy" ponytail is over with, the baby was born, hormones are back and so my ponytail had to drop back to normal. As long as it doesn't drop back farther!

Circumference is a "general" number. Subtle variations within that number *do* occur. The key is not to start measuring obsessively at every turn.

lapushka
October 13th, 2014, 01:52 AM
But is 4mm still a "normal" variation? I'm watching it close now because I am also starting to shed again normall after having gone 10 months of virtually no shed due to pregnancy. My husband says this drop back to my "normal" circumference, is just because the "fantasy" ponytail is over with, the baby was born, hormones are back and so my ponytail had to drop back to normal. As long as it doesn't drop back farther!

I think it's nothing. Mine can go from about 4.5" to 4.25". That's why I have my circ listed as 4.25" because I know that's the absolute minimum it can go down too, but I shed a monster!

And post-partum shed is a different thing entirely! It is known you can lose a lot of hair from that. I'm guessing it's something you'll just have to power through.

mamaherrera
October 13th, 2014, 04:57 PM
thanks!! I guess I got to used to always having the same measurement for 5 years. . . . so for me this is the first time ever seeing a drop. . . . but if others have changes too. I guess I've just always been lucky in getting it the same every time, so that's why I got scared. Thanks for the reassurance!!

moontree
October 14th, 2014, 10:56 PM
Augh will the shedding never end? D: I'm going to have no hair left by wintermas...

Nadine <3
October 14th, 2014, 11:03 PM
I was shedding buckets, but it seems to be stopping now. The secret it to put it up and handle it as little as possible I think...