PDA

View Full Version : Swap Board Etiquette

Syren_Curls
August 26th, 2014, 05:15 PM
Hi,

I have been wondering about re-selling a swap board purchased item back on the swap board. I feel badly doing it, but the items just don't really work for me and I purchased them as my first hairtoys, before really learning what worked for my hair and what I liked. I would like to rehome them on the swap board but wondered if there were any guidelines or rules about doing that.

Thanks.

slynr
August 26th, 2014, 05:38 PM
Sell away! That's why the swap board exists. There will be someone who will love and use what you cannot. No need to feel bad wwhatsoever:)

kpzra
August 26th, 2014, 05:40 PM
There are plenty of items that make a second or more appearance on the swap board.

Syren_Curls
August 26th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Thank you guys for the feedback! That helps me feel less bad about it.

Are they credited to the original seller when they're making another appearance? Or is there just a mention that they were purchased off the swap board in the post?

Hele
August 26th, 2014, 06:00 PM
i've sold and traded quite a few things i've originally gotten off the swap board, sometimes an item just doesn't work out or you outgrow it eventually...that's what the swap board's here for! I rarely mention that i've gotten an item off the swap board in a FS/FT post, i just say the maker, size, and include an etsy link if i have one. If it's a swap board item i usually post it for the same amount i paid for it.

Anje
August 26th, 2014, 06:02 PM
You certainly can credit the original swapper, if you recall who it was.

Sometimes swappers want to hear back if it was an especially beloved item, but that shouldn't prevent you from finding a new owner. Usually the former owner of a loved item just wants to know that their item is being used and enjoyed by someone, which definitely supports re-swapping if it doesn't work for you.

Chromis
August 26th, 2014, 06:08 PM
Some items have made quite a many appearances. You can say who you got it from if you know, if not no harm. I've had quite a few sticks that have had several owners. Some I gave up myself as I grew out of and others I still have.

tetisheri72
August 26th, 2014, 06:18 PM
It's kind of nice seeing things make the rounds.

Stormynights
August 26th, 2014, 06:20 PM
The only thing I would find offensive would be if someone got a gift on the RAOK thread and then sold it on the swap board, but that is just my opinion. I would hope that those items would be regifted rather than sold.

Syren_Curls
August 26th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Hmmmmm, you guys gave me a different perspective on this. I hadn't thought that it might be nice to see some items make the rounds or that the original owner might have an interest in the item again. Thanks for also filling in some of the logistics!

As for the RAOK... I think I was off-site for a few weeks when it started and then confused by it when I popped back in and haven't figured it out fully enough just yet to put something on there, though I want to. I really like what I understood of the idea. And I agree, it definitely would be offensive to me to see something I gifted there sold off :-/

Cania
August 28th, 2014, 11:15 AM
The only thing I would find offensive would be if someone got a gift on the RAOK thread and then sold it on the swap board, but that is just my opinion. I would hope that those items would be regifted rather than sold.

This has actually happened with something I put up, sadly. I think the knew owner needed funding urgently though so I have no hard feelings, it's just a shame really.

kaydana
August 28th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Regarding the gifts from the RAOK thread, personally I don't think gifts should come with strings attached. If you're going to get offended if someone uses a gift you gave them in a way you don't like, don't give it to them.

Cania
August 28th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Regarding the gifts from the RAOK thread, personally I don't think gifts should come with strings attached. If you're going to get offended if someone uses a gift you gave them in a way you don't like, don't give it to them.

Yeah I was just sad they didn't work for the person since they were so excited to get them! Such is life I suppose.

MasCat
August 29th, 2014, 01:11 PM
I love learning about the LHC stories of some hairtoys. It's like a heirloom or, (yep, you saw that one coming, didn't you) a hairloom :D

mz_butterfly
August 29th, 2014, 01:28 PM

I think that selling a gift someone got for free (off the RAOK thread) would be rather distasteful and greedy. I don't think trading it for something else would be frowned upon. but if something doesn't work and someone got it for free, they should either offer to return it to the one who gave it to them, give it away or trade it.

I can see where people would get upset about giving someone a gift in that thread and then the person saying, "well, it just doesn't work for me, I shall sell it now" I am betting people would be a lot less giving if that started happening.

Caraid♫
August 29th, 2014, 02:16 PM
I love learning about the LHC stories of some hairtoys. It's like a heirloom or, (yep, you saw that one coming, didn't you) a hairloom :D
I agree! The majority of my forks have previous owners (partly because it's a less expensive way of collecting) but also because I like owning things with previous owners, gives it a bit of "history" or something :laugh:
Also, hairtoys don't seem to show signs of much wear despite being used and don't lose too much value that way, therefore I don't see a problem selling an item you got off the swap board. The only "etiquette" I can think would be to always be honest about any visible signs of wear it does have (if any, that is) and adjust price accordingly, but I guess that goes without saying for old and new items alike that you sell :)

mz_butterfly
August 29th, 2014, 02:45 PM
This has actually happened with something I put up, sadly. I think the knew owner needed funding urgently though so I have no hard feelings, it's just a shame really.

I find that horribly rude! Regardless of needing money, you don't get something for free and make profit on it. wow.

Tabitha
August 29th, 2014, 03:13 PM
I had thought that items which didn't work for the recipient were meant to be relisted in the RAOK thread so that others might benefit, not sold for profit?

I had considered donating something to that thread but if this sort of thing is already happening, I am not keen.

Hele
August 29th, 2014, 03:28 PM
I think that selling a gift someone got for free (off the RAOK thread) would be rather distasteful and greedy. I don't think trading it for something else would be frowned upon. but if something doesn't work and someone got it for free, they should either offer to return it to the one who gave it to them, give it away or trade it.

I can see where people would get upset about giving someone a gift in that thread and then the person saying, "well, it just doesn't work for me, I shall sell it now" I am betting people would be a lot less giving if that started happening.

i have to agree strongly with this, if you're given something as a gift it's really not too cool to turn around and sell it. I know items don't always work out but at least maintain the spirit of giving and pass it on to someone else. I do want to make it clear that i haven't seen this with the RAOK thread (yet) but i have noticed it with previous seasonal swaps. Personally i won't be donating any more items to the RAOK thread but it's for other reasons.

kaydana
August 29th, 2014, 04:00 PM

I wasn't saying it's okay for that person to do that. Just that the person who gave it should be prepared for that to happen and not get offended if it does. If you're the type of person who is easily upset by such things, I think that, for your own sake, you should avoid putting yourself in that kind of position.

Chromis
August 29th, 2014, 05:23 PM
i have to agree strongly with this, if you're given something as a gift it's really not too cool to turn around and sell it. I know items don't always work out but at least maintain the spirit of giving and pass it on to someone else. I do want to make it clear that i haven't seen this with the RAOK thread (yet) but i have noticed it with previous seasonal swaps. Personally i won't be donating any more items to the RAOK thread but it's for other reasons.

I've swapped things that I received during the seasonal swaps. The items were beautiful, but I had out-grown them! (When I first joined LHC I was near bra strap and am now at knee, I have outgrown many things since then lol) I list items as swap only since I don't know how much the original item was worth and am not trying to profit off of them. Sometimes I have taken swaps for them in which I know the value was quite unequal and that doesn't bother me since each got what we wanted and I am always open to making the value up in the form of chocolates. (Besides, you never know what items land up being worth a lot in a few years anyhow!)

Likewise, if you have had an item for a couple of years and it just has never quite worked for you, I don't see the harm in re-swapping it. I would find it mildly rude if the item was re-swapped immediately although I'd probably understand. Look how often people put things they have just bought on the swap board because they didn't work out!

The RAOK thread is a different story. In the seasonal swaps, you also sent something out, so it is more of an exchange than a gift. I can still see swapping things out when you outgrow them and such...but it does seem like the "proper" thing to do there would be to offer it to someone else as a new RAOK. (I suppose this is also assuming that you can recall where you'd gotten it in the first place, but it does seem fair to offer *something* up in that thread in the future when you are able if you have received something yourself in the past.)

DweamGoiL
August 29th, 2014, 07:48 PM
I just wanted to chime in here since I see the RAOK thread came up several times here. If anyone experiences a gift that was donated to the thread and was sold later, please let me know. I haven't seen this happen yet, but I also do not monitor the swap board very intently. In a couple of instances that some recipients have reported a gift did not work out for them, they have regifted the item to another list member or put it up again as a new RAOK item.

I hope that this puts your mind at ease, but I will say that in most cases you can only lead a horse to water. I can strongly suggest that people regift items that do not work for them, but I imagine sooner or later someone will abuse the thread. Please know this is not the intention of the thread and should not be viewed as common practice by a long shot. If any of you were inclined to gift something as a RAOK, I encourage you to do so without the preconception that your gift will be resold since we have no concrete evidence that it has actually happened.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and thanks for bringing up this concern. I do plan to make this issue more prominent in the rules since I do not want to encourage any future hesitation in gifting to the thread!

mz_butterfly
August 29th, 2014, 08:20 PM
I wasn't saying it's okay for that person to do that. Just that the person who gave it should be prepared for that to happen and not get offended if it does. If you're the type of person who is easily upset by such things, I think that, for your own sake, you should avoid putting yourself in that kind of position.

I also agree that once I give something to someone, it's their to do with as they wish.

When a group of people are giving things away to others who don't have much, or don't have anything, that kindness should not be abused. I am not saying that anyone has done so, or that it was mal intended if they did. Just that it isn't right to take something in a giveaway thread and profit from it, versus trading it off for something else.

I watch the ROAK threads and am in awe at the generosity. There are some very kind hearted people here. It's nice to know that kindness does exist and I get to see it with my own eyes on a daily basis.

mz_butterfly
August 29th, 2014, 08:28 PM

I also agree that once I give something to someone, it's their to do with as they wish.

When a group of people are giving things away to others who don't have much, or don't have anything, that kindness should not be abused. I am not saying that anyone has done so, or that it was mal intended if they did. Just that it isn't right to take something in a giveaway thread and profit from it, versus trading it off for something else.

I watch the ROAK threads and am in awe at the generosity. There are some very kind hearted people here. It's nice to know that kindness does exist and I get to see it with my own eyes on a daily basis.

PrincessBob
August 30th, 2014, 12:01 PM
If I got it "for free" I would prefer to trade it rather than sell, but I don't mind sending it off on the swap board. I seem to have it in my head that it s considered gauche to re-sell something from the swap board for more than you bought it for (ie turning a profit on the sale) but if it is the same condition you purchased it in, nobody seems to mind a person selling for the same price they had paid for it, or a slight discount.

Wildcat Diva
August 30th, 2014, 04:12 PM
This of course, doesn't seem to apply to old style Ficcares, LOL.

They go for more.

ETA: I'm speaking generally. I don't plan on selling any rare Ficcares on the swap board anytime soon, and I have had some very generous members sell me a rare Ficcare or two for VERY reasonable prices, but they didn't have to do that. I lucked out.

PrincessBob
August 30th, 2014, 06:37 PM
That's a point, out of production/rarity can sometimes dictate price.

Syren_Curls
August 31st, 2014, 11:22 AM
The continued feedback has helped me think about how I would like to list the items even more so. While they were put up for sales on the swap board, I do believe there was generosity in that as well. And I wanted to respect that too. I'd like to also think about putting some of them for the RAOK or seasonal swap (I didn't really know we had those until this thread, but I don't scout the swap boards much-which you could probably figure out from my original question :-)). I don't know much about either, though. I tried to get myself caught up on the RAOK a few weeks ago but it was a bit hard to keep track of and understand with how far into it I was trying to follow along.

If someone doesn't mind, would it be possible to maybe just give me a brief breakdown of it? Thanks :-)

kpzra
August 31st, 2014, 12:08 PM
RAOK - One item at a time if offered and the first person on the list has first refusal (first post in the thread has the list of names and rules). If they pass and there isn't anyone else who has not received anything then anyone can snag it. Nothing is being offered in exchange, it is a gift. The sender can request to split shipping cost however, but they need to state that upfront.

Seasonal swaps you sign up for and the person running it matches up names. You then buy, make, or pass on unloved items. Generally at least one has to be hair related. There is a minimum dollar amount (usually) to try and keep things fair. Sometimes there are other requirements, trader ratings or post counts. It varies but will be stated up front. The current one is wrapping up and there should be more gift openings soon so you can watch that and get an idea of what people send.

It's kind of like Secret Santa but with a hair theme.

Bene
August 31st, 2014, 02:42 PM
I stopped messing around with the swap board because a general lack of discretion and privacy. I'm sure it was totally innocent, but I REALLY didn't like it. On one occasion, the seller posted the names of the people who had purchased an item. Probably to keep their things in order, to know who bought what, but I had to ask the seller to please remove my name from that list.

On another occasion, I purchased an item, and then some time later I received a PM from someone who had wanted it asking me if I was willing to sell it to them. Which means that the seller told them who bought it. No mention to me that someone wanted to know who bought it, just straight out disclosure to the person who wanted it.

Again, no criticism about the people involved in these cases, but I much prefer my business be kept private.

Timea
August 31st, 2014, 03:05 PM
I stopped messing around with the swap board because a general lack of discretion and privacy. I'm sure it was totally innocent, but I REALLY didn't like it. On one occasion, the seller posted the names of the people who had purchased an item. Probably to keep their things in order, to know who bought what, but I had to ask the seller to please remove my name from that list.

On another occasion, I purchased an item, and then some time later I received a PM from someone who had wanted it asking me if I was willing to sell it to them. Which means that the seller told them who bought it. No mention to me that someone wanted to know who bought it, just straight out disclosure to the person who wanted it.

Again, no criticism about the people involved in these cases, but I much prefer my business be kept private.

they posted your real life name or your username?

Bene
August 31st, 2014, 03:07 PM
they posted your real life name or your username?

Username. Which is why I sent a polite PM to have them remove it, and it didn't go beyond that. Had it been my real life name, it would have been something different entirely.

Timea
August 31st, 2014, 09:12 PM
Username. Which is why I sent a polite PM to have them remove it, and it didn't go beyond that. Had it been my real life name, it would have been something different entirely.

yeah. i can understand you completely.

Syren_Curls
September 6th, 2014, 11:57 AM
RAOK - One item at a time if offered and the first person on the list has first refusal (first post in the thread has the list of names and rules). If they pass and there isn't anyone else who has not received anything then anyone can snag it. Nothing is being offered in exchange, it is a gift. The sender can request to split shipping cost however, but they need to state that upfront.

Seasonal swaps you sign up for and the person running it matches up names. You then buy, make, or pass on unloved items. Generally at least one has to be hair related. There is a minimum dollar amount (usually) to try and keep things fair. Sometimes there are other requirements, trader ratings or post counts. It varies but will be stated up front. The current one is wrapping up and there should be more gift openings soon so you can watch that and get an idea of what people send.

It's kind of like Secret Santa but with a hair theme.

Thanks for the explanation on this. It helps me get a better understanding :-)

Bene, wow, that sounds like a bit of an alarming experience. Thanks for sharing that so I can be vigilant about it. I'm glad it stopped at just that though and didn't escalate for you.

Syren_Curls
September 10th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Just a quick update... I've gone ahead and sold some items off the Swap Board and can now understand the sentiment that it is nice to share the enthusiasm of a new toy being re-homed with someone who will cherish and love them. That was a fun experience :-) I also feel good about having a few things left over to share for the seasonal swaps and the RAOK thread. I haven't run into any issues with the swap post but I did have someone approach me about another hair toy I expressed enthusiasm about in an unrelated thread and sort of insist on something other than Paypal, which made me uncomfortable. I was able to be more vigilant after the experiences shared here and comfortably ended the interaction. I wanted to thank you guys for the feedback -- it helped make this a positive experience for me and hopefully for the buyers!

velorutionista
October 28th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Can I ask a different swap board etiquette question? (Not trying to hijack, if it should be its own thread just let me know)...

What's the general practice around communication when you're interested in buying something?

For example, if you post in the FS thread stating you're interested in item X, and PM to confirm it's still available/express your interest, but don't hear back from the seller, should you just assume it's not available or they don't want to sell to you and leave it at that? (I know some people prefer to sell to folks with more established iTrader ratings, and I don't fault them for it at all)...or is it OK to PM again and follow up? (obviously after a reasonable amount of time has passed and if it isn't marked as sold in the sale thread)...

I don't want to be a pest, and I'm pretty new to swap board dealings, but I get the impression multiple messages are frowned upon (and I realize a seller can get many messages about a single item and has zero obligation to explain their decisions to interested parties).

So, long story short, how can I follow up without being a jerk? Or should I even?

kaydana
October 28th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Can I ask a different swap board etiquette question? (Not trying to hijack, if it should be its own thread just let me know)...

What's the general practice around communication when you're interested in buying something?

For example, if you post in the FS thread stating you're interested in item X, and PM to confirm it's still available/express your interest, but don't hear back from the seller, should you just assume it's not available or they don't want to sell to you and leave it at that? (I know some people prefer to sell to folks with more established iTrader ratings, and I don't fault them for it at all)...or is it OK to PM again and follow up? (obviously after a reasonable amount of time has passed and if it isn't marked as sold in the sale thread)...

I don't want to be a pest, and I'm pretty new to swap board dealings, but I get the impression multiple messages are frowned upon (and I realize a seller can get many messages about a single item and has zero obligation to explain their decisions to interested parties).

So, long story short, how can I follow up without being a jerk? Or should I even?

I've had issues with PMs not getting through before, so I'd probably post on the thread or leave them a visitor message asking if they received the PM.

MsBubbles
October 28th, 2014, 02:30 PM
I've also had issues with PM's not going through, but I would probably mention it also on the thread and/or on the visitor page too.

I have a question: is there a rule (I didn't see one) about someone putting something up for say, $30, then getting a ton of pm's about it and realizing they had seriously underpriced the item, then going back and saying "Sorry, didn't realize how in-demand they were, I'm putting up the prices now"?

I don't see any rules posted against that but I personally don't find it all that ethical. But I guess this isn't ebay, eh?!

velorutionista
October 28th, 2014, 04:11 PM
oh, I hadn't even thought about the PM getting lost in the ether! thanks for the suggestions--I'll give them a try! :)

Scarlet_Heart
November 2nd, 2014, 07:09 AM
I've also had issues with PM's not going through, but I would probably mention it also on the thread and/or on the visitor page too.

I have a question: is there a rule (I didn't see one) about someone putting something up for say, $30, then getting a ton of pm's about it and realizing they had seriously underpriced the item, then going back and saying "Sorry, didn't realize how in-demand they were, I'm putting up the prices now"?

I don't see any rules posted against that but I personally don't find it all that ethical. But I guess this isn't ebay, eh?!

Just speaking for myself, I would find that really annoying but I wouldn't consider it something that should be against the rules. If I were the prospective buyer, I would just say, "yeah no thanks if that's how you're going to be."

two_wheels
November 2nd, 2014, 10:47 AM
Just speaking for myself, I would find that really annoying but I wouldn't consider it something that should be against the rules. If I were the prospective buyer, I would just say, "yeah no thanks if that's how you're going to be."

I think it's kind of sucky as a buyer not to let people with high value items know what they're worth. Sometimes if people who haven't been around for a while put up an old ficcare for next to nothing, I will PM them telling them they can get more for it if they want. It's happened a couple of times. It's up to them what they want to do, but I would feel bad as a buyer taking advantage of someone who didn't know they could get more. Especially when people are selling stuff because money is tight for them.

ETA - that wasn't pointed at you Scarlet_Heart :flower: it was just following on in the discussion

slynr
November 2nd, 2014, 11:10 AM
I did a trade once, a Ficcare for a quattro the person wanted, and she told me she had people messaging her saying she shouldn't do it and trying to undermine the trade even though it was an expensive item and one the person really wanted.

That's the other side and I thought it was off base. It was annoying.

Eta: interesting thing is I was under the impression these people also wanted this clip. It was hard not to believe it was kindness with a definite ulterior motive.

two_wheels
November 2nd, 2014, 11:15 AM
Oh- yeah, I tell them it's up to them & that I don't want to buy it. One of them offered to sell me one at her original list price because I'd told her. But yeah, I'd have felt a bit mucky doing that.
As long as people are making a decision with their eyes open, it's none of anyone's business what they want to swap things for.

slynr
November 2nd, 2014, 11:22 AM
I noticed recently someone put up two Ficcare clips on swap...one for 20$ and one $55...now they are eBay for $55 and $300.
Just an observation.

I figure people are grown ups and should research things they are selling. I have sold things and then said, shoot, I could have asked for more. That's the beauty of the swap board. Sometimes you get lucky and get a great deal. Its happening less and less these days. I guess I've never thought it was my place to tell someone to charge more.

Kina
November 2nd, 2014, 11:26 AM
I think it's kind of sucky as a buyer not to let people with high value items know what they're worth. Sometimes if people who haven't been around for a while put up an old ficcare for next to nothing, I will PM them telling them they can get more for it if they want. It's happened a couple of times. It's up to them what they want to do, but I would feel bad as a buyer taking advantage of someone who didn't know they could get more. Especially when people are selling stuff because money is tight for them.

ETA - that wasn't pointed at you Scarlet_Heart :flower: it was just following on in the discussion
This is how I feel about this. It's up to the individual, of course, but unknowingly selling a high ticket item for less than value can be quite upsetting.

I think as a buyer, it's always great to a good deal, but I'd rather score it from a company than someone who may be selling things to make rent.

two_wheels
November 2nd, 2014, 11:35 AM
I've never outright told people to charge more. Just said that perhaps the offer price was a decision they had made, in which case good on them, but in case they didn't know, that the clips often go for more and some people take offers.

If I sold a clip on here for $30 because I was skint, and then saw them going for $200 on ebay, you can bet I'd be pretty upset that nobody from the community had warned me. I can see why it would be exciting from a buyer's point of view. But it doesn't seem fair to me.

If they have made their mind up to sell the clip at cost because it's a community and they don't want to take "profit" (whatever that means, but you see what I mean), or to swap it for something they love, then really, good on them. I'd swap certain ficcares for certain quattros myself in a heartbeat!

slynr
November 2nd, 2014, 11:38 AM
Maybe I just haven't noticed that happening so didn't know it was an issue. I definitely see your point and never want anyone to be ripped off.

two_wheels
November 2nd, 2014, 11:40 AM
I'm sure you wouldn't rip anyone off slynr. Some quattros are dreamy and totally equivalent to old ficcare in my book. And even if they weren't, not my call, ha

slynr
November 2nd, 2014, 11:42 AM
:blossom: I guess what everyone wants is a bit different so "what its worth" will always be in the eye of the beholder to a certain extent:)

Kina
November 2nd, 2014, 11:50 AM
I did a trade once, a Ficcare for a quattro the person wanted, and she told me she had people messaging her saying she shouldn't do it and trying to undermine the trade even though it was an expensive item and one the person really wanted.

That's the other side and I thought it was off base. It was annoying.

Eta: interesting thing is I was under the impression these people also wanted this clip. It was hard not to believe it was kindness with a definite ulterior motive.

I think a trade is vastly different than a straight sale. If someone is trading, and both sides are happy, then that's fair, even if it might not make sense to someone else. And yeah, those pm's seem to be somewhat tainted with ulterior motives.

I think just pointing out to someone that they are under charging is a kindness to them, sort of like taking someone who is somewhat naive and pointing out that they are being so. The resultant behavior is then up to them, but at least they are forewarned.

I've seen people post that they are selling older clips for what they paid for them, in order to pass along a good deal, which is very kind.

But, the swap board isn't supposed to be a place for vendors, vendors (rightly so) are looking to make a profit, and they get to do so, but that's why they aren't on the swap board. On the swap board, we're dealing with regular people, some of whom may be on the line financially and are selling something from need. And if they aren't, they should still be compensated fairly.

two_wheels
November 2nd, 2014, 11:51 AM
:blossom: I guess what everyone wants is a bit different so "what its worth" will always be in the eye of the beholder to a certain extent:)

This is true. And I think I remember reading about that trade, actually, and being overjoyed for the quattro recipient. :)

Kina
November 2nd, 2014, 11:51 AM

exactly!!!

juliaxena
November 2nd, 2014, 12:38 PM
I also believe it was fair to the seller to warn them.

Scarlet_Heart
November 3rd, 2014, 08:23 AM
I noticed recently someone put up two Ficcare clips on swap...one for 20$ and one $55...now they are eBay for $55 and $300.
Just an observation.

I figure people are grown ups and should research things they are selling. I have sold things and then said, shoot, I could have asked for more. That's the beauty of the swap board. Sometimes you get lucky and get a great deal. Its happening less and less these days. I guess I've never thought it was my place to tell someone to charge more.

I agree with this. In what situation would someone not know what they're item is worth? Even if you got, say, a ficcare as a gift. If you're a member here and you know enough to be on the swap board, you should have some idea what it's worth. People post a price that they would be satisfied receiving for the item. If it's slightly lower than the usual market value, that benefits the buyer. Possibly the seller needs some extra money and needs to sell it quickly. I don't feel it's any of my business or my place to question why someone sets the price they do. If it's worth it to me, I'll buy it and that's where my involvement ends.

NaClH2O
November 3rd, 2014, 01:44 PM
Just an observation.

Just to point out, I am fairly certain the seller here removed them clips from the swap board and reposted them on eBay. So I do not pity her in this case. I assumed she was overwhelmed with PM's, assumed they were "worth more" than she as asking, and decided to put them on eBay so people could duke it out. It's unfortunate as that signature clip is (in my opinion) in no way worth $300... But to each her own. People can ask what they want and if there is someone will to pay, then so be it.

mz_butterfly
November 3rd, 2014, 02:36 PM
I noticed the Ficcare one from the other day as well. The Ficcares that are now is a 50/50. The silver one will definitely sell for the $55 and may garnish a tad bit more but the other one will not get near the $300 that is being asked. Those aren't the coveted ones, I recently sold some things to a person that were from a famous maker that are coveted but aren't going for abnormally high prices. It's a crapshoot, there are things that are highly coveted by some makers and others are just so-so.

mz_butterfly
November 3rd, 2014, 02:39 PM
(since I can't edit for some oddball reason)

The signature clip has been relisted at $100 starting price or BIN for $200. That is still overpriced for that clip. $50-60 will be about all that they will get out of it, in my experience and opinion.

MsBubbles
November 3rd, 2014, 07:44 PM
Ah! Good to see some other points of view. Thanks! I think Slynr outlined the reason it irked me when I saw someone change their original prices here on the swap board - I had totally forgotten that I sold one of mine that was worth way more than I put it up for. I was naive. It was right at the beginning of Ficcare madness. I was happy to have received back what I paid for it, minus shipping, but later I felt like such a schmuck! So I kind of begrudged someone else having a Doh moment and being able to raise their prices with a clear conscience. But it's their choice and even though it upset me, not wrong, I guess. In any case, the person I sold mine to adored it and wanted it for themselves, and I think they traded it later for one they wanted even more, so that makes me happy too. Spread the Ficcare love. These things don't go unappreciated!

I was just looking at the Quattro site today for the first time in forever and was astounded at the prices he's asking! So perhaps Quattro/Ficcare trade is about evenly matched in some cases.

AmandaPanda
December 23rd, 2014, 08:27 PM
other etiquette questions...

It has been a long time since I've done business on the swap board and I need a refresher :)
I can remember trying to sell something and I had two people respond, but I had trouble figuring out who was first. (I don't remember the situation exactly, maybe one posted, and the other PMd - at the same time)
What is the consensus on these scenarios?

1. Does it matter who posts a response or PMs you first? Does one method overrule the other or is it just who responds first, period?
2. If someone is interested but is waiting to hear back from the seller, then seller posts information and someone else comes along before the first person sees it and says they want to buy it, should the first person have "dibs" or not?
I thought I could remember "back in the day" marking stuff as pending if someone was interested, and if someone else came along wanting to buy it, they'd be 2nd in line to buy if the other person decided not to

Aaroo
December 25th, 2014, 11:11 AM
I am a bit puzzled about what happened in a sale thread recently. Does it mean you cannot accept offers for the items you put on the swap board unless there is a set price?
I mean if I put something for trade, is it against the rules to say that if someone with interest has nothing to trade their offer will be considered for purchase?

neko_kawaii
December 25th, 2014, 12:14 PM
I am a bit puzzled about what happened in a sale thread recently. Does it mean you cannot accept offers for the items you put on the swap board unless there is a set price?
I mean if I put something for trade, is it against the rules to say that if someone with interest has nothing to trade their offer will be considered for purchase?

You can post on the swap board looking for trades, you can post prices for items. What you can't do is solicit offers of cash for items or indicate that you will sell to the highest offer.

If someone PMs you with an offer that you did not solicit you can do with it as you choose. PMs are private, but they can be reported if the recipient feels they are inappropriate.

Aaroo
December 25th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Thanks for clarifying it Neko :blossom:

hennalonghair
January 10th, 2015, 10:48 PM

You can post on the swap board looking for trades, you can post prices for items. What you can't do is solicit offers of cash for items or indicate that you will sell to the highest offer.

If someone PMs you with an offer that you did not solicit you can do with it as you choose. PMs are private, but they can be reported if the recipient feels they are inappropriate.

If you are 'new' to the swap board and know nothing about how these swaps or sales are handled , is it unethical or rude to even ask?
I recently asked a completely innocent question because , like most people here, I didn't know and all hell broke loose and I've since been treated like (the devil himself) like I did something horribly wrong. :shrug: :(

neko_kawaii
January 11th, 2015, 08:27 AM
If you don't understand something absolutely ask. If people are violating LHC terms of service, use the report button to bring it to the attention of the moderators, or send a mod a PM to discuss it.