PDA

View Full Version : Attack of the Killer Spraypaint--Help!

velorutionista
August 26th, 2014, 05:07 PM
I made a pretty stupid oversight this weekend and I need some recovery advice...

I got roped into spontaneously helping my MIL spray paint a bunch of closet doors over the weekend (I went over to "help organize closets"...didn't realize that entailed painting the doors). Anyhow...I had my hair in a lazy wrap bun, but I didn't even think about covering my hair until I reached up to re-tighten the bun partway through the painting and felt my hair--gah! It was stiff and tacky and definitely getting paint on it from the fumes floating around.

I scrounged up a bandana after that, but my hair still got a pretty good dusting of paint fumes and it is not amused. I did wash it immediately when I got home, and happily that got the frosty lightening effect to go away (white paint over henna--not a great look!), so I don't think there's any actual paint left in my hair...but it's really tangly (which it almost never does), and feels extra coarse and velcro-ish at the ends.

So, lovely people (who are always full of good ideas!)...what would you do? I'm planning on a deep conditioning treatment tonight (SMT style), but I'm not sure that'll do it...so I'm open to suggestion!

Quasiquixotic
August 26th, 2014, 05:24 PM
I would do and extra extra heavy oiling with a cheap oil, like olive oil, to dissolve any remaining spray paint particles. And then I would wash/deep condition/baby as usual. How ever much you use to oil your hair I would double or triple it. Leave it in for a hour, wash it out, then smt.

Hugs! Let me know how it goes. I don't think I would have though about that either.

velorutionista
August 26th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Thanks, Quasi! That's a good idea! I'm sitting here with a head full of olive oil as I type--it can't hurt, that's for sure!...although my charming hubby tells me I smell like a pasta salad. :lala:

Quasiquixotic
August 26th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Right! Sorry about the smell. I've used olive oil as an on hand "goo gone" for stickers and makeup and such. I hope it works for you :)

Anje
August 26th, 2014, 06:06 PM
Sounds like a good plan so far.

Thanks for reminding me to keep a bandana in my purse, though. XD

velorutionista
August 26th, 2014, 09:58 PM
Well, after a heavy olive oil oiling and an almost 3-hour SMT, my hair is feeling a bit better! It's not quite dry yet, so not 100% sure of the results, but it feels a lot more "normal" post wash than it did!! I'm going to damp bun for sleep and see what I end up with in the morning, but I'm cautiously optimistic!

Kaelee
August 26th, 2014, 10:45 PM
V05 kiwi clarifying shampoo takes care of it for me (I'm an aerosol artist so I deal with this frequently).

velorutionista
August 27th, 2014, 09:42 AM
So now that it's dry, it's definitely better than it was! I think I may repeat the whole process again tonight and add in some clarifying shampoo, too (thanks for that tip, Kaelee). The coarse/straw-ish texture is calming down, but the ends are still pretty tangly, and clarifying tends to help that for me...

Quasiquixotic
August 27th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Yay!! Good to hear :)

MeowScat
August 27th, 2014, 09:47 PM
If I were you, I'd clarify, maybe twice. Who knows what kind of chemicals are in the paint. Then condition it like crazy.

Thanks for posting, I want to paint my bedroom and now I'm reminded to cover the mane! :)