PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for doing no trims for a long period of time?

stephy190
August 25th, 2014, 02:24 PM
I kinda wanna go 6 months without even a trim but I usually go every 2/3 months.. Any tips for keeping hair in good enough condition to not have to trim for this long ? :) Thanks!

lapushka
August 25th, 2014, 02:39 PM
If your hair is healthy (no heat, etc.) then you can go without a trim for a year or more than a year - easily. You really don't have to trim at all unless there's damage (split ends, white dots). Keep your ends well moisturized. Good luck!

fiğrildi
August 25th, 2014, 02:42 PM
There's plenty of things you can do! ^^

-Using silk caps / silk pillow cases for sleeping
-Not using any kind of heat, letting your hair air dry
-Search and destroy method
-No more sulfates, silicones, or parabens
-Protective styles (braids, buns, parandas...)
-Fingercombing, instead of brushing

and finally,
-Staying away from scissors (that's the key!)

Anje
August 25th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Take care of it. Lots of buns (and not held with elastics) with the ends tucked deep inside, braids with gentle hairties, be careful to detangle the very ends gently before you brush your hair.

Firefox7275
August 25th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Condition, condition, condition. Handle gently, use protective styles.

sarahthegemini
August 25th, 2014, 03:55 PM
6 months without trims is easy if your hair isn't damaged :) I'm sensing this is more of a 'breaking the habit' issue tho? If so, you could try bunning your hair to keep the ends out of the way (out of sight, out of mind)

kayeburth
August 25th, 2014, 04:09 PM
don't let it get caught in stuff - clothes, zippers, handbag handles. from my experience, that's where most damage comes from

stephy190
August 25th, 2014, 04:21 PM
6 months without trims is easy if your hair isn't damaged :) I'm sensing this is more of a 'breaking the habit' issue tho? If so, you could try bunning your hair to keep the ends out of the way (out of sight, out of mind)

Yeah theres no damage.. deffo agree with the breaking the habit thing.. I do go for cuts regularly out of habit! Just anything for a change while its growing but then it ends up halting the growth a bit lol oops

jacqueline101
August 25th, 2014, 04:39 PM
If there's no damage try wearing it up and using a satin or silk pillowcase. Do other things like the others suggested to keep your hair healthy by conditioning, protein treatment if your hair likes them, and avoid ripping out tangles. Oiling if needed some oil their hair. How often they oil what kinds is up to your hair preference?

Madora
August 25th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Wear it up to protect the ends. Be gentle when detangling (with a comb, please!). Stay away from blow frying (unless you're using cold), no bleach, no straightening, no chemicals, period! DO S and D regularly. Use sharp scissors.

momschicklets
August 25th, 2014, 05:28 PM
I'm going on 9 months now with no trims...so far, so good :D Pretty sure the fact I use no-heat styling or brushing helps a lot. I detangle with a wide-tooth comb, air dry my hair after washing and wear it up in a peacock twist much of the time also. I stare at my ends a couple of times a week, and so far see no need to get a trim for another few months....after that time I might go in to even things up, but maybe not ;)

lapushka
August 25th, 2014, 05:40 PM
I haven't trimmed since November 2013. In a few weeks' time that's going to be 10 months. My hair is perfectly fine. It's a myth you need frequent trims. If you keep your hair from damaging things, and check it regularly for splits and white dots, there's no reason to trim.

meteor
August 25th, 2014, 08:04 PM
This is a great thread and it seems to already contain all the necessary advice for growing long hair! :D
I agree with pretty much everything already mentioned here.
I'd only add that it's important to cover hair if it's exposed a lot to UV rays or extremely cold or windy weather. It's all about cutting down on damage, so do wear updos and hats/scarves when you are out for a very long time.

animetor7
August 26th, 2014, 11:40 AM
The only other thing I would add to the already great advice here is to practice lots of new updos, braids etc. This way you'll be less tempted to cut just to see a change. The best of luck to you on your journey. :)