PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyle ideas for a formal wedding?

GetMeToWaist
August 25th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Hi everyone. So in September, I'm going to my cousin's wedding. It's going to be VERY traditional and formal, so I'm thinking I can't wear my natural hair because it has a naturally wavy, tousled, messy look (which I like) as literally everyone will have straightened or curled their hair.
i really do not want to use heat, so I'm thinking about updos. Trouble is I'm hopeless with them and barely know any. I can't even do a LWB and i have no hairsticks, just ties, bobby pins and spin pins.

Anyone got any ideas for a formal hairstyle I could do?

Juliet15
August 25th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Most salons will do updos for prom/wedding. This is what I did for my daughter's wedding, as I am also hopeless in doing hair myself. i went in and talked to the stylist a week before and she did a nice french braid with the end tucked up underneath. I washed my hair and let it dry naturally the night before.

cocolover
August 25th, 2014, 12:54 PM
I was a bridesmaid in a wedding a few years back where we all went to the beauty school to get our hair done. I told the stylist no heat, and she really struggled! I had picked an updo that was a lot more twists, In the future I would do a fancy updo that involves braids, something like this: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/288019338643421398/

This should be doable with your current hair toys. Do you have a friend that is pretty good with braiding that might be willing to come over and help you out?

memeow
August 25th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Even simple buns can look fancy with the addition of some accent braids. I would play around with adding a few braids to a cinnabun--that should be easy to hold with spin pins. You could also try a side bun, which could also look really nice with a braid that starts on top of your head and wraps around the back before joining it. Just spend some time playing with your hair in advance so you make sure you can come up with something you feel good about!

lapushka
August 25th, 2014, 05:47 PM
With your thickness, most "LHC" buns will be out of the question as you'll need more length. I'd go in to a stylist to get it done.

DreamSheep
August 25th, 2014, 07:00 PM
As others point out, salon is probably a good shout as long as you state beforehand no heat, no backcombing and how you want them to treat your hair in general.

As for hairsticks - you could always buy some nice chopsticks (ones that are polished and pretty), and use those. Or at least, those are my first hairstick right now. :)
Other alternatives could be a half-up-half-down with some fancy headband/hat thing people like to wear at weddings.

Either way, whatever you do - we'd love to see pictures :)

Madora
August 25th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Lilith Moon's tutorial for an easy and beautiful and comfy two strand accent rope braid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Start practicing now and you should be able to do it. Be sure to detangle all your hair before starting! I do this in the bent at the waist position, with all my hair in front of me (start in front of the right ear, work across the head to the left ear, change hands, continue to work around the head, adding hair, until I reach where I started.

browneyedsusan
August 26th, 2014, 06:11 AM
Can you make a ponytail with your hairtie, and twist it into a bun with your spin pins?
Get an alligator clip with a flower on it--Walmart has some in the hairtie section--, and clip it next to your bun. picture link (https://a359ddcb-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/habioku/hairstyles/hairstylecollection/altsockbunklein.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7cqkej1khgBYzzp-23KPJiERxLcri9vo08c6zOAgePvnQ7ACB8YlWhauJoKf6RKqMI m2FPZnMmIvfRnvc1D1EzOs7ktePrrtCwNa424v5l6uVVJACpTY ZxcUkTzzhxV-pg28y-0Icccfx4YK2BP_gsTow8fjwu_pY6sQ4-7037woVV5m1OG2Ya7rlk3EvqUxS51QQPAm7JtMWTQD9gYdYpjk 8PJoFtRwFWtbkiqpp9hyZY3husZ9Bxgbb42wkLWxe1OpZBJN&attredirects=0)

Anje
August 26th, 2014, 09:40 AM
If you want to be sure, I'd actually agree with the salon options. I've had one or two wedding updos done in a salon, and when I've said no backcombing, minimal heat (I'm not opposed to a small touch of heat on rare occasions), they've completely listened while complimenting my hair's condition. You'll probably end up with something that's heavy with bobby pins and hairsprayed within an inch of its life, but for a formal event that's OK. Your hair can handle it for a day. Just remember afterward to take out the pins and head straight to the shower. Shampoo everything before you even think about combing it; that'll get the product out so there's no risk of breaking strands at the points where the hairspray glued it together.

For more general styling like buns (just for normal use, whether you do it for the wedding or not), you might want to test out one of the classic iii-hair tricks: Separate the top half of your hair out and just bun that. Secure it with spin pins. Then take the bottom section of hair, twist it, and wrap it around the top bun. Again, secure with spin pins. You can usually pull that sort of thing off while your hair is still at too large a thickness:length ratio to do normal buns.

torrilin
August 26th, 2014, 11:21 AM
In addition to all the other good suggestions...

Little Black Dress (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNcEt-mTVKM) updo by LaDollyVita33 should work for iii thickness. Her trick of embellishing the updo with decorative accents works to spiff up any style, not just the one she shows. Spending a bit of money on cute hair toys that suit your outfit will help a lot with a polished look.

If you can do twin braids, they're easy to work into a variety of styles. Heidi braids are a classic, and I tend to use them for formal events because they make my face look more heart shaped instead of super round. Casey's romantic braided updo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HKWx47RD20) is another good one for thick hair. Madora somehow forgot to mention her favorite braided bun, where you do two braids and pin them around each other. (she explains it so much more sensibly tho) All of these are good if you want a sleeker look.

French twists and peacock twists can work for thick hair at your length. For me, they're an instant fail style tho, since my hair slithers right on out. With your waves, that shouldn't be a problem. If you want a very classic look, they're fantastic.

Depending on your personal style, an Aphrodite knot (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_30u_7KOAo) may also work. While it's shown without hair toys to secure it, spin pins do work for those of us not blessed with curly enough hair.

If I'm going to a salon, I always have them French braid my hair. I've got the sort of ash brown hair that gets highlights everywhere, no matter what I do, so a French braid looks very flashy. If my hair is shortish, I can tuck in the tail and get an effect similar to a French twist, but without the falling out problem. The same exact trick works on my sister's iii thickness hair too. I've never asked for other sorts of updos at a salon, since this one is easy, heat free and looks great on me. And well, with my slippery hair's inclination to defeat stylists best intentions... easy matters.

Hopefully one of these will suit!

SkyChild
August 26th, 2014, 02:19 PM
The Aphrodite knot is beautiful! Gatecrashing this thread, apologies. I have a wedding to go to at the weekend ^^

brickworld13
August 26th, 2014, 02:21 PM
I'm going to just hang out here and poach styles. I have a wedding to go to at the beginning of October. My sweetie is in the wedding party so I feel obligated to do something special.

Horrorpops
August 27th, 2014, 06:09 AM
Lots of good ideas on this thread already! This messy bun with accent braids (http://www.thesmallthingsblog.com/2013/07/messy-bun-with-braided-wrap/) has been a go-to formal style for me recently because it is easy, looks elegant and beautiful, can be heat free, and doesn't need complicated hair toys. I also second PP's suggestions regarding buying hair decoration/s that match your outfit - this can really help bring your whole look together and be much more classy and 'put together'.

Good luck!

Laurenji
August 27th, 2014, 10:06 AM
I got married in a French Twist, so I'm sure it's formal enough to attend a wedding in.

French Twist Combs are lifesavers, though, as I've never been able to get it to hold without one.

Angela_Rose
August 27th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Separate your hair into three parts like you would if you were doing a plain braid, then separate each of those sections into three sections, and make three braids overall. Braid each of those into one, and pin it up with your bobby and spin pins. Tada!