PDA

View Full Version : So I'm actually tempted to get extensions? Any advice?

stephy190
August 25th, 2014, 11:59 AM
What do you guys think ? I had to do a big cut from bsl to apl due to a wonky cut (self done,oops!) and my hair was getting so long and now im going back to uni in a couple weeks and im not even excited because I know I won't look good.. and In uni there'll be nights out with everyone and I don't want to feel and be miserable.. it just doesn't seem worth it for my last year at uni. But I have no idea about extensions.. feel like theyd be really annoying (taking them in and out)and possibly damage my hair.. Any advice on what kind etc ? I think it might make the growing process a bit easier..

chen bao jun
August 25th, 2014, 12:08 PM
If you MUST, I'd use clip ins only and don't use them too often.
I've never done it so others might have better advice, but being black I've seen a lot of people use sews in and glue ins and it always destroys their hair, and even more, their hairline. I'd really suggest patience and not doing it.

kayeburth
August 25th, 2014, 12:39 PM
If you MUST, I'd use clip ins only and don't use them too often.
I've never done it so others might have better advice, but being black I've seen a lot of people use sews in and glue ins and it always destroys their hair, and even more, their hairline. I'd really suggest patience and not doing it.

thanks for the advice. I was considering, too, but if the damage is that big I probably shouldn't

Silverbrumby
August 25th, 2014, 12:47 PM
http://youtu.be/zPLLTMFZ_XI

First off I'd recommend looking at Lilith moons you tube videos. Best ever for how to use clip in extensions. I bought mine from a seller on eBay in China and I love them. Easy to use and I get length and thickness for a special evening out.

Get only real hair. THe fake hair ones just don't work well IMO

Sarden
August 25th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Hi! I have a set of clip in extensions - I only wear them very occasionally to add a bit of volume. I think you can get away with wearing them if it's just once in a while - too much and the hair you clip them onto will become damaged and weakened (especially if you always clip them in the same place). I also find it helps to make sure they are clipped in really well to a good chuck of hair to spread the load and not putting too much stress on a few strands. When I'm putting them in, I also like to make sure I can move my head without restriction in all directions so that there is no unnecessary strain.

Edited to add - also, I agree with silverbrumby - only get real hair... They look better and you can style them. (Even with heat guilt free if you like as they're not your hair, ha!)

Mya
August 25th, 2014, 01:10 PM
I second Cheo Bao Jun. Glue ins are going to rip your hair because hairs grow at different rates, so every extension is going to pull a few hairs after a while, plus it traps all the sheds, which means tangle mess.

Also, there's the chance that hair extensions aren't good quality, it happens, and you cannot determine that when you see them for the first time because they are heavily processed to look sleek and soft. You are going to face their real quality after you have worn them for a while and at that point it's too late.

A few years ago, in my pre-LHC days, I got a few blue human hair extensions, like 15 strands (very few), just to add a touch of colour here and there. I got them at a salon and at their standard market price, so it's not that I made the mistake to go for cheap unprofessional stuff.
Well, they were such a ripoff. They felt nice at the salon, but a few hours later they showed their real face. They tangled horribly without even touching them, even if I had JUST finished detangling them. I think they were poor quality hair that lacked the external cortex that makes hair slippery. Within a couple of weeks all extensions slid out of my hair. I was glad they did, even if they ripped a few of my hairs in the process. I remember that at the salon there was a child that got a full head of extensions... can't imagine the nightmare she faced.

I'm not saying that all salons are going to rip you off like that. But things like that happen, and if they do you don't want a nasty mess semi permanently stuck to your head. Also, even if they have labels and all (Remy! Good quality! Etc.), you don't really know where salons get their extensions from.

It's different when it comes to clip ins. There are online reviews and it's easier to rely on a brand's reputation (I'm thinking of Luxy Hair for example). And if you realize they don't feel great, you aren't stuck with them.

fiğrildi
August 25th, 2014, 02:31 PM
I would say, don't. You may want to have a look at this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2274414/Dangers-hair-extensions-Blinding-headaches-bleeding-scalps-permanent-baldness.html

Why not try to learn how to love your new length? I really don't see why would you have to feel miserable, just because that's your final year at uni...
You have short and healthy hair now, I'm sure you do not want damaged and shorter hair later :wink:
Plus, you'll be back at BSL in no time!
But it's up to you if you have already made a choice.

RileyJane
August 25th, 2014, 03:30 PM
I only wear them for when we all go out or a big occasion that I'd normally like to wear my hair down.. I use the clip ins which if you gently clip them in, aren't uncomfortable at all; I just wouldn't wear them for more than 8-10 hours cuz that's when they start to slip. If you section your hair differently every time you wear them, you should be alright. I tend to weave my hair into them so that only the extension hair is out so when ppl hug you, grab your hair etc they are only messing with the fake hair, and when you clip them out gently at the end of the night, your actual hair is tangle free :)

blue_eyes
August 25th, 2014, 03:40 PM
I had glued in extensions (can't remember the correct term) back when I was 16; I had shoulder length hair & wanted it long FAST. In retrospect I wish I'd never done it, they were a nightmare. I had them in for about 6 months I think, and at first they were okay, but after frequent washing and styling they eventually became matted, my hair was unbelievably tangled in knots (and glue), and after frequent washing they began getting very loose, only hanging onto my head by a couple of hairs, which was pretty painful. Eventually I just sat down and, as gently as possible, tried to untangle them and get them all out of my hair. It took forever, and my hair was beyond repair and still covered with glue residue, but at least they were gone!

I've heard pretty good things about using clip-ins, plus you don't have to wear them all the time (like while washing your hair in the shower).

butterflybutton
August 25th, 2014, 04:19 PM
You should look at flip-in or halo hair extensions. Completely damage free and only take a minute or two to put in.

I made my own from a couple of sets of clip ins that I had and cut them to shoulder whilst I was in the awkward growing pixie stage.

kysgrl
August 26th, 2014, 12:30 AM
You should look at flip-in or halo hair extensions. Completely damage free and only take a minute or two to put in.

I made my own from a couple of sets of clip ins that I had and cut them to shoulder whilst I was in the awkward growing pixie stage.
I was going to suggest halo extensions too. Those are the only ones I cant see causing some damage.

LadyCelestina
August 26th, 2014, 04:47 AM
How does cutting a little bit of hair make you look any different? I mean if you chopped to a pixie.But from APL to BSL,that is not too far and you'll be there in no time.I know plenty people with APL length hair and no one laughs at them at parties.

Go for the extensions if you want to,but you look very pretty in your avatar,so if being afraid of looking bad is the reason you are wishing to get extensions,it's not necessary at all! Don't worry! You look great :flower:

ETA: I cut from waist to below APL ,no one even noticed unless I pointed it out.