PDA

View Full Version : What are some 'bad hairdresser habits' that you can't stand ?

stephy190
August 24th, 2014, 12:18 PM
And does anyone have any horror hairdressing stories ? Would be interesting to see what you all think! The ones I can't stand are definitely using a brush whilst wet THEN pulling it through my hair and I can hear it all snapping ! Its happened really bad a few times and I was tempted to tell her to stop but then thought I'd sound a bit hair crazy :p And also chopping off way more than what you ask for sometimes (hasn't happened in a while as I've stuck to the same hairdresser I trust) but drives me crazy when ask for half an inch and they think It means 3.. lol

maegalcarwen
August 24th, 2014, 01:09 PM
I think everyone has... especially the " I tried to grow my hair and she cut it WAY TOO MUCH!".:DDDD I have it too:)
Others:
1) ripping my curly hair with a very dense toothed comb
2) shampooing so hard I am surprised my hair stays on my scalp
3) cutting my hair wet, so she completely ignores my natural waves/curls, which afterwards always looks like poop for a few weeks...
4) wanting to blowdry it/straighten it
5) putting all kinds of styling sh*t in it even if I ask not to because "its just oil" or "it smells so nice".

Horrid! I make the mistake to go there once every year, and cry about it until the next time I go:D I guess I have some habits to break.

truepeacenik
August 24th, 2014, 01:20 PM
The palmful of SLS shampoo. Always freaked me out. My mom diluted shampoo, and even though she did the smooth on top and rub method of washing, at least I didn't have dried out hair, which salon washing always left me with.

martyna_22
August 24th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Apart from the usual horrible washing/drying/styling ritual, I got noticeably uneven layers once. My hair was only chin length and the left side was heavily layered, and the right side almost intact. I realized this post-wash at home and was really bothered by this.

Nesoi
August 24th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Even before LHC, I have always hated going to the hairdresser. Some of that is my own stuff - I don't like to be touched by strangers, I hate small talk, I don't want to look at my disembodied moon head in the mirror under an unflattering light for an hour or more - but a lot of it is things like: the water is always scalding, their nails are always too long and scrape, the combs and brushes hurt, they fry my hair, they cut too much off, they fill it with sticky products and then try to sell them to me...etc.

I cut my own hair a LOT even before coming here! But I do have better results now I learned Feye's self-trim method ;) I have rocked some wonky home 'dos in my time! :rockerdud

momschicklets
August 24th, 2014, 01:47 PM
I really love my regular stylist as she is a wonderful person, but I *never* have her wash my hair because she scrubs with such violent vigor, and for so long, that it's actually painful, and my scalp remains tender for days!

molljo
August 24th, 2014, 02:06 PM
I too hate the small talk, SO MUCH. And they think you're weird if you don't want to chitchat with them, even though, in my mind, it makes sense not to distract them while they're doing their jobs. I care a lot about my hair, and I would prefer them to put their full attention on making sure it looks good. The best haircuts I've ever gotten were from the only stylist I really liked, and she was the only on who respected that I preferred a quiet experience. A stylist isn't a therapist; my personal life isn't their business, my hair is.

Also, they never use enough conditioner, and they never let it sink in before rinsing.

jacqueline101
August 24th, 2014, 02:52 PM
My old hair dresser years ago use to contradict what I said do things her way. I wanted a trim I got a shoulder length bob.

DreamSheep
August 24th, 2014, 02:55 PM
All of these are pre-LHC, but whenever they yank the brush through your hair, or decide to backcomb when trying to give "volume" to a style.
It always made me cringe.

maegalcarwen
August 24th, 2014, 03:00 PM
I too hate the small talk, SO MUCH. And they think you're weird if you don't want to chitchat with them, even though, in my mind, it makes sense not to distract them while they're doing their jobs. I care a lot about my hair, and I would prefer them to put their full attention on making sure it looks good. The best haircuts I've ever gotten were from the only stylist I really liked, and she was the only on who respected that I preferred a quiet experience. A stylist isn't a therapist; my personal life isn't their business, my hair is.

Also, they never use enough conditioner, and they never let it sink in before rinsing.

You spoke from my heart! :p

wool
August 24th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Whenever I go for a trim and you tell them no blow dry and they push you to pay for the extra blow-dry and add all sorts of product to try and get you to buy it and yea small talk too....i don't find the silences awkward!! And if you get a shampooer who doesn't care or is rushing i worry for my scalp!

Red'N'Curly
August 24th, 2014, 04:12 PM
I got a horrible haircut one time that made my hair a big frizzy mess. When I went back the next day to get her to fix it, she said "Well you're not supposed to wear it curly, you should straighten it!" I haven't had my hair "professionally" cut in the 8 years since. I cut it myself now.

lapushka
August 24th, 2014, 04:14 PM
It's been way too long to remember. ;)

stephy190
August 24th, 2014, 04:15 PM

Yeah I kinda agree you should be given the choice to not have the small talk thing! Like sometimes when I like/enjoy the conversation and am in the mood its fine, I actually like it. But they should realise if you don't want to ! I only like chatting to a stylist I've known and trust with my hair. If theyre new I'd rather they focused on the task at hand :P

stephy190
August 24th, 2014, 04:16 PM
It's been way too long to remember. ;)

Haha you cut youre own hair ?! :O I wish I could do that lol I tried that recently and oops all of one side was chopped and had to go get it fixed (from bsl to apl) =[

stephy190
August 24th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Even before LHC, I have always hated going to the hairdresser. Some of that is my own stuff - I don't like to be touched by strangers, I hate small talk, I don't want to look at my disembodied moon head in the mirror under an unflattering light for an hour or more - but a lot of it is things like: the water is always scalding, their nails are always too long and scrape, the combs and brushes hurt, they fry my hair, they cut too much off, they fill it with sticky products and then try to sell them to me...etc.

I cut my own hair a LOT even before coming here! But I do have better results now I learned Feye's self-trim method ;) I have rocked some wonky home 'dos in my time! :rockerdud

haha literally was laughing reading your answer :D I just messed up mine with a self cut so I guess im deffo gonna have to go for salon visits from now on.. cant risk that happening again lool. yeah brushes shouldn't hurt but they always drag a brush through wet hair! :bs:

stephy190
August 24th, 2014, 04:28 PM
My old hair dresser years ago use to contradict what I said do things her way. I wanted a trim I got a shoulder length bob.

yeah can't stand when that happens.. its like months of hard work/dedication growing it has just gone :(

jacqueline101
August 24th, 2014, 04:33 PM
yeah can't stand when that happens.. its like months of hard work/dedication growing it has just gone :(

That's exactly what it is.

Hopeful65
August 24th, 2014, 04:59 PM
It's been 14 years since I last stepped foot in a beauty salon. There was always something that didn't turn out right. I can't even think of a good experience.

I once had my bleached hair fried from a getting it permed. The hairdresser never told me you couldn't perm bleached hair. (I should have known better, but yet she should have been responsible to say something.)

Even a simple straight blunt cut along the ends turns out to be crooked. So now I have my husband cut my hair and he does a superb job.

Just the other day my daughter wasted good money to have her hair cut, which came out uneven. She wishes she had come to me like how she normally does, but thought it would be a nice treat. I was thinking of treating myself to a nice professional trim soon, (like I said it's been 14 years by a 'professional'), but she warned me against it.

chen bao jun
August 24th, 2014, 05:11 PM
Well, black hairdressers specifically always overbook so that you spend hours waiting for an appointment that you booked at a specific time. If you complain, they take you, wash your hair quick --and leave you under a hat dryer for 'treatment' for hours, because they have like 4 people booked for the exact same time.
I hated that.
But hairdressers in general don't seem to be able to deal with thick hair, especially thick curly hair. They drag a fine tooth comb through or brush it, then when it goes all over the place they say you have horrible hair and NEED it cut/thinned out/straightened or something I don't want done.
also, they never ever 'get' that some people want to come to be hair dresser and go out again looking exactly the same (except a teensy bit shorter)--they ALWAYS either do something drastic and experimental and stylish (they turn the chair around often so that you can't see what they did until it's too late) and then they expect you to be so happy with the awful hairstyle you didn't ask for that you will want to keep coming back. I can't tell you how many times this happened to me until I got the sense to stay away from them and go to a man's barber, who does exactly what I want. No I-am-hairstyling-my-barbie-doll fantasies worked on me, a real person.

lapushka
August 24th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Haha you cut youre own hair ?! :O I wish I could do that lol I tried that recently and oops all of one side was chopped and had to go get it fixed (from bsl to apl) =[

My mother actually cuts it for me, using the compact cut method for layers. I have short layers (ponytail on top of forehead). But it hasn't been cut since November 2013 now, so... even that I don't remember all too well. :lol:

ForUkraine
August 24th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Just the other day I went to a salon so that she could make my dyed hair match my natural. I've been growing it out for a while and the roots were driving me crazy. When my hair was wet she proceeded to yank a brush through it from root to tip! She then mentioned how tangled my hair was. Duh! My hair is super fine and tangles easily + she washed it so roughly it was no wonder that it was a knotted mess. I'm so happy I won't have to go back now that I have my natural colour. S&D has worked out a lot better for me then scissors happy hairdressers. Also that small talk :rolleyes:

blace
August 25th, 2014, 05:26 PM
I wish that you could all be my clients.

Things I do as a professional stylist. Specifically when servicing long haired ladies (or gentlemen):

Shampoo gently, but efficiently and invigoratingly.
Condition excessively.
Finger comb mostly.
De-tangle gently.
Cut only the agreed upon amount.
Show what I'm cutting before I do.
Small talk only when I sense that it's wanted.
Avoid sticky or unnecessary products.
Do not try to "up-sell".
Recommend natural remedies or methods that have worked thus far for me.
Dry/style based on the client's desires.
Compliment and encourage growth.

I am sorry that so many of you have had bad salon experiences and I am so thankful that LHC has made me such a better hairstylist.

momschicklets
August 25th, 2014, 05:42 PM
I wish that you could all be my clients.

Things I do as a professional stylist. Specifically when services long haired ladies (or gentlemen):

Shampoo gently, but efficiently and invigoratingly.
Condition excessively.
Finger comb mostly.
De-tangle gently.
Cut only the agreed upon amount.
Show what I'm cutting before I do.
Small talk only when I sense that it's wanted.
Avoid sticky or unnecessary products.
Do not try to "up-sell".
Recommend natural remedies or methods that have worked thus far for me.
Dry/style based on the client's desires.
Compliment and encourage growth.

I am sorry that so many of you have had bad salon experiences and I am so thankful that LHC has made me such a better hairstylist.

I think it's wonderful that you've used the comments and experiences of LHC members to improve your client's experiences! :blossom: To me that is the hallmark of a good stylist!

blace
August 25th, 2014, 06:35 PM
I think it's wonderful that you've used the comments and experiences of LHC members to improve your client's experiences! :blossom: To me that is the hallmark of a good stylist!

Thank you! I really do try my hardest to understand the needs/desires of the client. I love being able to observe and be encouraging of long, beautiful hair on nearly a day-to-day basis. Personally, it has helped me on my own long hair journey.

I am a relatively new stylist and hope to one day find a place in a long hair focused salon or as a trichologist.

PinkScarf
August 25th, 2014, 08:51 PM
Apart from the usual horrible washing/drying/styling ritual, I got noticeably uneven layers once. My hair was only chin length and the left side was heavily layered, and the right side almost intact. I realized this post-wash at home and was really bothered by this.

Is it possible that the stylist cut it while it was parted differently? I know this used to happen to me all the time because I would part my hair on the side and the hairstylist would cut it with a middle part. So after I'd wash, dry, and part it myself, it would be unevenly layered.

RoseofCimarron
August 26th, 2014, 12:51 AM
Along with most of what everyone else has said, my absolute pet peeve when going to get my hair cut as a child-early teenager (I haven't gone to a salon in quite a few years) was when they would ask me or my mother "So, are we cutting it all off today?" Sometimes they meant it jokingly, and other times I wasn't so sure. I actually had one hold up the clippers behind me while asking that, it scared me to death! That was when I was either seven or eight, it was the first time my mother left me alone at the salon (she went to quickly get some groceries at the store next door). I didn't even have very long hair as a kid (shoulder-length growing to probably around BSL-MBL). I also didn't like it when they complained about my hair when I was right there, most specifically, "Your hair is taking FOREVER to dry, why did I get stuck with someone with hair like a sponge?" and "You have so much hair... my hands are going to be so sore after this." :rolleyes:

Thank you! I really do try my hardest to understand the needs/desires of the client. I love being able to observe and be encouraging of long, beautiful hair on nearly a day-to-day basis. Personally, it has helped me on my own long hair journey.

I am a relatively new stylist and hope to one day find a place in a long hair focused salon or as a trichologist.

Oh, I wish I could go to you! You sound like an awesome hairstylist! I would like a break from cutting it myself for once, but unfortunately I am around 1400 miles away from you. If I'm ever in the neighborhood though... :D

maegalcarwen
August 26th, 2014, 05:56 AM
Well, black hairdressers specifically always overbook so that you spend hours waiting for an appointment that you booked at a specific time. If you complain, they take you, wash your hair quick --and leave you under a hat dryer for 'treatment' for hours, because they have like 4 people booked for the exact same time.
I hated that.
But hairdressers in general don't seem to be able to deal with thick hair, especially thick curly hair. They drag a fine tooth comb through or brush it, then when it goes all over the place they say you have horrible hair and NEED it cut/thinned out/straightened or something I don't want done.
also, they never ever 'get' that some people want to come to be hair dresser and go out again looking exactly the same (except a teensy bit shorter)--they ALWAYS either do something drastic and experimental and stylish (they turn the chair around often so that you can't see what they did until it's too late) and then they expect you to be so happy with the awful hairstyle you didn't ask for that you will want to keep coming back. I can't tell you how many times this happened to me until I got the sense to stay away from them and go to a man's barber, who does exactly what I want. No I-am-hairstyling-my-barbie-doll fantasies worked on me, a real person.

Oh now you scared me away:D I really wanted to try out going to a black hairdresser, maybe they do a better job with curls, because "normal" hairdressers always do EXACTLY what you wrote there!

I wonder, what do they teach them in hairdressers school?

maegalcarwen
August 26th, 2014, 06:00 AM
Happens to me all the time...
"So do you part it here?"
"No a bit to the left."
"Here?"
"No, more in a tilted line, so the end is more to the left"
"Like this?"
and after 15 minutes you kind of give up:D

kaydana
August 26th, 2014, 06:14 AM
Happens to me all the time...
"So do you part it here?"
"No a bit to the left."
"Here?"
"No, more in a tilted line, so the end is more to the left"
"Like this?"
and after 15 minutes you kind of give up:D

If you can't explain it properly, show them. Proper communication is as much your responsibility as it is theirs.

milque
August 26th, 2014, 07:09 AM
Since I joined LHC I stopped going to the hairdressers because I never felt the need to. But about a month ago I had to go to a wedding and wanted to have my hair styled in loose curls. For some reason I didn't have time to do heatless curls so I decided to go to a hairdresser. The wedding was somewhere out of town and all the hairdressers in that area were booked up. By then I was desperate and just wanted someone to do my hair. So I finally got an appointment at this one place but man how I regretted it.

I booked for a blow style session, so I kind of knew what I was getting into. To prepare for that, I oiled my hair heavily with coconut oil the night before, washed and generously conditioned my hair in the morning, and afterward detangled and put some very coney heat protectant leave-in. When I got to the salon (with my hair damp) I told the hairdresser that I had already washed and prepped my hair that morning and that he only needed to blow dry some curls into it. He argued that that won't work coz he needed to shampoo my hair again to make it limp or the curls won't stay (?!). We spent some time arguing this till in the end I relented because I was running out of time and he hinted that he wouldn't do my hair if he can't shampoo it first. So to the sink we went, and he shampooed my hair off all the preparations I did earlier, applied NO conditioner, and NO leave-ins. When I asked for some he said the leave-in will weigh my hair down and so will the curls (??!!).

And the blow drying, oh the blow drying. Ripping through my hair with a large round ball-tipped plastic brush, rolling it in and letting it hang like that in my hair while he worked on another section of my hair, ripping it out again. Highest heat setting. Tons of hairspray. In the end the curls didn't even last for more than a couple of hours into the wedding and I am still dealing with the damage from that session today. Lesson learned.

wavesgalore
August 27th, 2014, 12:28 AM
They always rip through my hair with one of those awful plastic wide-toothed combs.

The worst experience I've ever had was about a year ago. I hadn't had my hair professionally cut in about 5 years, and booked an appointment with a rather expensive stylist that my mother recommended. I brought in a large, clear magazine photo of the hairstyle I wanted and told her 'I want exactly this hairstyle. I don't care how much work it is to maintain.' It was a voluminous shoulder-length bob that curled in at the bottom, with wispy sideswept bangs. Perfect for my thick hair.

She commented on how thick my hair was, and then boasted that she was the only stylist in town who "knew how to handle such thick hair," and that her friends with hair like mine come in all the time just for her to thin their hair. She trimmed a bit off the bottom, and then turned me around and went at it with thinning shears. Then she straightened it stick straight. When she was done, it looked NOTHING like the photo, and the ends were so thin that I could literally see through them. I went from having a 5" ponytail circumference to MAYBE an inch and a half. When all of the hair on the floor was swept up into a pile, it was about 8" tall and a foot wide; she'd hacked out 2/3rds of my hair. I'd had mostly good experiences up until then, but after this experience I finally understood people's anxiety about going their hair cut!

Santi
August 27th, 2014, 02:24 AM
I had the same stylist for years who permed my hair w/ relaxers & then talked me into getting keratin treatments. This made my hair (w/ the help of a flat iron) easy to straighten. I wore my hair curly when it was relaxed. When my new growth started to show I would tell her that I missed my curls. She would remind me of how easy it was to maintain w/ the 'treatment'. I'd bite & get the perm. This was a 3 year dance. My last scheduled treatment at the hair salon was done by someone else b/c my stylist was bothered by the fumes. I never went back.

I can't stand when the hairdresser doesn't listen to their client!

Btw, it was the best thing that ever happened b/c I decided to grow my curls out on my own.

Dreams_in_Pink
August 27th, 2014, 08:23 AM
What really makes me cringe is how they tease the roots and then apply TONS of spray to the area.

It makes me imagine that polymer gunk clogging the pores and preventing air from penetrating into the follicle and then hair bulb starting to die... :run:

stephy190
August 27th, 2014, 12:24 PM
They always rip through my hair with one of those awful plastic wide-toothed combs.

The worst experience I've ever had was about a year ago. I hadn't had my hair professionally cut in about 5 years, and booked an appointment with a rather expensive stylist that my mother recommended. I brought in a large, clear magazine photo of the hairstyle I wanted and told her 'I want exactly this hairstyle. I don't care how much work it is to maintain.' It was a voluminous shoulder-length bob that curled in at the bottom, with wispy sideswept bangs. Perfect for my thick hair.

She commented on how thick my hair was, and then boasted that she was the only stylist in town who "knew how to handle such thick hair," and that her friends with hair like mine come in all the time just for her to thin their hair. She trimmed a bit off the bottom, and then turned me around and went at it with thinning shears. Then she straightened it stick straight. When she was done, it looked NOTHING like the photo, and the ends were so thin that I could literally see through them. I went from having a 5" ponytail circumference to MAYBE an inch and a half. When all of the hair on the floor was swept up into a pile, it was about 8" tall and a foot wide; she'd hacked out 2/3rds of my hair. I'd had mostly good experiences up until then, but after this experience I finally understood people's anxiety about going their hair cut!

Arghh im dealing with thinning shears damage from the front parts of my hair.. Im not sure if it is damaged, but it feels like she just wrecked a section as it starts off thick then goes all thin and wispy which I hate.. :/ But its only a small section.. Youd think hairdressers would know more about hair but I guess we're probably more knowledgeable ! lol

Catatafish
August 27th, 2014, 12:55 PM
I HATE those thinning shears. I think if your hair is not poker straight it just makes everything look worse.

lapushka
August 27th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Yeah, the worst experience ever involved thinning shears here as well. I had a pixie and had half of it thinned out because otherwise it looked (according to the stylist) like a lawn. :shrug:

prettyinpink
August 27th, 2014, 01:37 PM
The hair dresser put some salt spray in my hair without asking. Uhhhhh ! /:

peachyleshy
August 27th, 2014, 03:50 PM
I've had some brush through tangles really harshly, starting from the top and ripping through them. I don't so much like having to small talk with them (I'm better at that now though) but its even more annoying when they're chattering to their coworkers the whole time. Not that I think they should stay silent, but there's times when I know they're not paying attention to my hair and then messy ups are more likely to happen.

ummyahya
August 28th, 2014, 03:58 AM
I haven't stepped into a hair salon for years! But certainly to me the overall most annoying habit was the roughness with which they handled my scalp, the long nails, the too hot water etc....

Johannah
August 28th, 2014, 07:52 AM
I always used to go a female hair dresser that lives close to us. It's a friend from my mom. She just does what she wants. Every. Single. Time.

Surinecet
August 28th, 2014, 10:22 AM
Oh the list.. before LHC I only went to the salon about once a year, just to get the ends trimmed up, refresh my face framing layers, or change my hair color. Up until a couple months ago it had been about 2 years, and so I made an appointment with a hairstylist I has used previously and felt had done the best job at the time. I don't know if she has changed, or if LHC has opened my eyes. But let's see what bad habits the experience revealed:

-Ripping through my thick wavy hair with a fine tooth comb
-Giving me a color that was way to dark, after specifically explaining how it was already darker than I preferred and didn't want it changed. I understand you can't lighten with hair color, but you don't need to make it black.
-Doing a hack job of a cut, ending up with the angle of the front facing layers being completely different
-Which then lead to her telling me she had to blow dry my hair to straighten up the cutting (never had a hairstylist have to do that)
-Which involved her painfully pulling through my hair with a round brush, with the hair dryer end so close it was literally touching my hair all the way down the length, repeatedly.
-Then after trimming up again (repeatedly, at my insistence, since she seemed to think the differing angles were perfectly acceptable), she repeatedly insisted she had to straighten it, and had to use product too.
-Ah yes, and then charging for the "blow dry and style" that I never wanted and wouldn't have been necessary if she had been able to cut hair evenly in the first place.

What I find hilarious though is how many times she and other people in the salon commented on how shiny and healthy my hair was. All the while thinking to myself, yes, that's because I don't daily do these things you are insisting my hair needs. Seriously.

stephy190
August 28th, 2014, 10:52 AM
I HATE those thinning shears. I think if your hair is not poker straight it just makes everything look worse.

Yeah totally agree.. she went at it with the thinning shears so much on one side specifically and now I have frizzy bits (just one small section) that kind of drives me crazy atm.. but at least my length is healthy, I'll just have to wait for the layers to grow out a bit then get them redone to get that horrible thinned frizzy look gone! :(

Althea1984
May 14th, 2015, 01:08 PM
I think mine is the cutting too much off for sure but the not listening to me when I talk. I can see her nodding as if she's listening but she ends up doing whatever she wants anyways.

My worst story is when I was younger 19 or so I wanted a perm. I went to a hairdresser and she started the perm, everything was fine but when she took out the rods I could tell something was wrong. I asked and she played it down. She said my hair hadn't taken the curl so she was going to do it again. I asked her if that would be too much for my hair and she said nope. So off she went. When she went to take the rods out this time my hair went with them. My hair turned green from black and disintegrated and had a gummy texture. She kept telling me everything was fine and started cutting and cutting. I was in shock, so I didn't say much until she stopped and looked at me and said that was the best she could do to fix it. I ended up having almost a pixie cut but from shoulder length hair and whatever hair was left was so frizzy and curly I had an afro. I think if she'd taken the time to look at my hair she could have seen that it was damaged and not done the perm or at the very least not do it over again so soon. Since then I have a deep distrust of hairdressers.

Meliza

Jorja
May 14th, 2015, 01:26 PM
I never liked it when they'd give you a head massage with the shampoo; I find it creepy lol. But that's more my problem than theirs. :shrug:

I won't go now because I have to stand up while they cut it, and it's so warm in there and the smell of chemicals is too much. The big claw clips they use to section makes all my hair hang in my face which makes me get hotter and more bothered. The clips always fall out too. I really don't like the straight jacket cape, and the rubber bib thing they put round you either. I don't like making eye contact with other clients in the mirror, and I don't want to look at myself either. I end up staring at the water spray bottle for 1/2 hour until it's done.

No, I'm happy sitting on the settee with my little trimming scissors - s & d will do me.

yahirwaO.o
May 14th, 2015, 09:00 PM
I never liked it when they'd give you a head massage with the shampoo; I find it creepy lol. But that's more my problem than theirs. :shrug:

I won't go now because I have to stand up while they cut it, and it's so warm in there and the smell of chemicals is too much. The big claw clips they use to section makes all my hair hang in my face which makes me get hotter and more bothered. The clips always fall out too. I really don't like the straight jacket cape, and the rubber bib thing they put round you either. I don't like making eye contact with other clients in the mirror, and I don't want to look at myself either. I end up staring at the water spray bottle for 1/2 hour until it's done.

No, I'm happy sitting on the settee with my little trimming scissors - s & d will do me.

I totally agree with some points here.

-I can't stand that they have nasty smells of chemicals going on (perms and dyes)
-I actually felt very awkaward when I was in front and straight to the all angles and unflaterin lights in the mirror with that cape and wet hair I look creppy and plain strange IMAO!!!
-Seriously do stylist rip their own hair with that cheap and evil small tooth plastic combs, those are not for long or thick hair and its just rude to run that without care to someone else. My scalp hurt 3 days after that painful session
-They usually play very very crappy music
-A trim is usually a cut to them
-If I was a dog and someone was washing my mane with that ¨gentleness¨stylist have, a bite is short word to what I could do them.
-If they could dry hair with a torch, they probably would do it because they get the hottest setting with a blow dyer close to the scalp
-Not done to me, but if they curl hair, they get curling iron-gallon hairspray happy, and you end up with crunchy, unnatural and outdated chessy style
-If your a small boy and hate having hair short, if just a nightmare.

.....The worst once a gay guy hit on me while having my hair cut in an emo style I liked in my teens :agape:

Feyes method and long hair... Thank you!!!

StarsandFire
May 14th, 2015, 09:55 PM
It really shocks me how incompetent and unskilled some hairdressers are even after the years of training? The worst is how they think everyone should have the same trendy haircut, and they have no respect for what you want and think that they know better than you? It's like the idea of providing good customer service is completely unheard of in the salon industry. And is it just me, or do hairdressers have the worst hair sometimes?

divinedobbie
May 14th, 2015, 10:37 PM
My pet peeve is hairdressers insisting that my hair is so thin and fine and that I absolutely must have layers for volume and movement. No. I listened to them so many times and it's ruined my hair but thinning it out tremendously and the razors has wrecked my ends and made them so incredibly uneven.

rhosyn_du
May 14th, 2015, 10:56 PM
My pet peeve is hairdressers insisting that my hair is so thin and fine and that I absolutely must have layers for volume and movement. No. I listened to them so many times and it's ruined my hair but thinning it out tremendously and the razors has wrecked my ends and made them so incredibly uneven.

The funniest part about this is that most of the hairdressers I've been to have told me that my hair is so thick and wavy that it needs layers to reduce bulk. Layers must be magic if they can both add and reduce volume! :suspect:

Nadine <3
May 14th, 2015, 10:56 PM

Oh my god!! This!! They always told me I needed layers to give my thin hair body and movement, then then they'd hack into my hair with a razor and blow dry the living daylights out of it. Sure, it looked fine then, but then I go home and wash it and the layers are flipping and frizzing out everywhere and I look like a mad scientist!! Once I get the last of my layers cut out, I'm never letting anyone put them back...all they did was make my ends look see through.

Other than the layers, I hate the small talk and I hate the silence too. Basically I hate having strangers touch me. I like a good head massage, but these days I have my boyfriend shampoo and condition my hair in the shower and then after it dries he'll detangle and braid it. I haven't gotten the courage to let him trim it yet, but we'll get there and then I'll have a "salon" in my house! No more salons for me nope nope nope

Doreen
May 14th, 2015, 11:13 PM
Reading your experiences makes me feel more appreciative towards my hairdresser! I have been going to her for almost 13 years now! The first time I went I had a chin-length bob (I was 6 at the time...) For a while around BCL she was trying to convince me to chop, which made me super uncomfortable to hear from someone with scissors in their hand :run: but after I made myself clear she didn't bother asking again. She is very good about getting the exact measurement I want off.

Frankenstein
May 14th, 2015, 11:32 PM
As much as I fear going to the salon, when I think about it I haven't had any truly HORRIBLE experiences. Unless you count the time they bleached my hair twice in a row, but I mostly blame myself for wanting that done in the first place. I have had usually unsatisfactory haircuts, like the time I asked for layers and the stylist gave me a trim and cut the very front pieces an inch shorter than the rest :rolleyes:

It's interesting to read everyone commenting about rough shampooing and blow-drying because I've never had a stylist do either for me. Typically they just dampened my hair with a spray bottle, cut it and had me leave with damp hair. The latest person I went to actually cut it dry, but I actually found I prefer that. She was great - made small talk but not in an annoying way, actually listened to me and cut off exactly how much I wanted the way I wanted it. It was so nice to actually find someone that would listen to me for once. I hate when hairdressers ask what you want, seem to barely listen and just rush through it. UGH.

chen bao jun
May 15th, 2015, 07:41 AM
I have a friend who is a hairdresser and does it out of her home. I actually trust her. She understands curls as she has curly daughters. I have seen her work on many people and it's lovely. She has beautiful long LHC worthy hair herself. I've made two appointments and then cancelled at the last minute as even though I trust her, the idea of going to a hairdresser again literally gives me the shakes and I can't go through with it.

She has said she will do me for free (I taught her kids for free once) and I still can't go.

radiofreejenn
May 15th, 2015, 08:49 AM
My stylist lets me leave with damp hair if I want because she knows I don't care for heat on my hair. She's done all of my haircuts for the past 7 years and has never once done anything harmful to my hair like running a brush through it wet. She works at a little salon, nothing super fancy. I honestly believe upscale places ruin hair more than places like I like to go. That's just my opinion though.

ExpectoPatronum
May 15th, 2015, 09:19 AM
My main issue was always my stylist cutting off way more than I wanted. In my teens, I always flat ironed my hair, and wanted to grow it long even then. I'd get it cut every three months, but every three months I walked out of that damn salon with hair as short as the first time I walked out of it. I told her I wanted to grow it out every time, to only trim the very ends. Nope, it was always cut back up to my collarbone. The last time I went, I had her cut it all to one length and I never looked back. Her actual styling methods never bothered me because she didn't do anything I didn't already do to my hair.

I have a stylist now who I love. She listens to what I want. She actually asked about my every day routine, and then did that to style my hair. She also didn't push small talk but the few conversations we had were nice (like talking about cat videos on youtube :P) My hair looks a lot shorter now, but that's entirely due to pesky curly shrinkage that made itself more apparent now that my curls are happy. I have gotten so many compliments since I got my hair cut and I owe it entirely to this woman. It's a shame she works 5-6 hours from my hometown. I guess I'll have to make the trek up here a couple times a year when I move back home. But, she's worth it.

That said, going to a salon isn't for everyone. But, if you can find a great stylist it's sooooo worth it.

Adelain
May 15th, 2015, 09:36 AM
I never had a really bad experience with my hairdresser, but she always gave me heavy layered and thinned out haircuts that made my hair look frizzy..so now only self-trim for me :)

longhairvixen
May 15th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Getting my hair cut too short! I had bsl and asked for half an inch cut off but she made it shoulder length!

That was the last day i got a haircut At a salon. 5 years ago and i havent looked back. I only go to hair salons for blowouts. No coloring or haircuts.

I hate when they rip combs through your hair and massage your scalp to the point where it almost bleeds.

I also hate how they leave the conditioner in my hair for only like 50 seconds. I wish they left it in for 5 minutes

cutekitty
May 15th, 2015, 02:21 PM
The very rough detangling, and the blow-dryer set on scorching temperatures. Also, the way they pushed my head to adjust the angle during a haircut or a blow-dry.
I only visited a salon once in the last 3.5 years or so. I have no plans to do that anymore.