PDA

View Full Version : Oily scalp and hair cut help?!

heyitsmiriam
August 24th, 2014, 12:16 PM
I'm unfortunately stuck in a never-ending cycle of constantly greasy roots (bangs and hair framing my face).

I've tried a lot of methods (CWC, ACV/No-poo) to no avail. I'm currently using Organix Anti-Breakage Keratin Oil shampoo (discovered a few months ago that it has dimethicone :(, but it has sulfate free surfactants) and L'Oreal Sulfate Free Evercreme Intense Nourishing Conditioner.

I'm a combination of 1a/2a hair..medium hair with medium thickness (a bit on the thinner side).
About once a month I clarify my hair to ease the buildup.

I would love to have my bangs float away from my forehead, and not stick to it.
About 6 months ago, I got a hair cut because my hair had tons of damage (and still does) and it looked like this (1st pic):
http://i57.tinypic.com/oo3uo.jpg and I really love this cut: http://i62.tinypic.com/125j49v.jpg http://i58.tinypic.com/4utoxh.jpg

Though I feel like it looks similar, I think her length was a bit longer than mine, and her layers were a bit longer as well. Also, in other pictures, it shows her hair in the back is mostly one length, whereas my stylist added layers to the back of my hair.

My questions are:
- Which shampoo do you think would work for me? I believe the product buildup might be contributing to my greaseball roots. I'm trying to stay away from cones and preferably something that won't make me greasy. If anyone can suggest a shampoo (preferably drugstore), I'd love to hear it! I was looking into Nexxus Hydra-Light Shampoo.

- If I'm trying to achieve the haircut in the second image, what should I ask my stylist for?

Thanks everyone :)

stephy190
August 24th, 2014, 12:25 PM
I'm unfortunately stuck in a never-ending cycle of constantly greasy roots (bangs and hair framing my face).

I've tried a lot of methods (CWC, ACV/No-poo) to no avail. I'm currently using Organix Anti-Breakage Keratin Oil shampoo (discovered a few months ago that it has dimethicone :(, but it has sulfate free surfactants) and L'Oreal Sulfate Free Evercreme Intense Nourishing Conditioner.

I'm a combination of 1a/2a hair..medium hair with medium thickness (a bit on the thinner side).
About once a month I clarify my hair to ease the buildup.

I would love to have my bangs float away from my forehead, and not stick to it.
About 6 months ago, I got a hair cut because my hair had tons of damage (and still does) and it looked like this (1st pic):
http://i57.tinypic.com/oo3uo.jpg and I really love this cut: http://i62.tinypic.com/125j49v.jpg http://i58.tinypic.com/4utoxh.jpg

Though I feel like it looks similar, I think her length was a bit longer than mine, and her layers were a bit longer as well. Also, in other pictures, it shows her hair in the back is mostly one length, whereas my stylist added layers to the back of my hair.

My questions are:
- Which shampoo do you think would work for me? I believe the product buildup might be contributing to my greaseball roots. I'm trying to stay away from cones and preferably something that won't make me greasy. If anyone can suggest a shampoo (preferably drugstore), I'd love to hear it! I was looking into Nexxus Hydra-Light Shampoo.

- If I'm trying to achieve the haircut in the second image, what should I ask my stylist for?

Thanks everyone :)

Helloo I have the same sorta hair type to you! Gets greasy so fast! I would use between the loreal sulphate free ( cant think of the name right now but its the green one) and that's great as its sulphate free but cleans the hair so well and also love dove oil therapy, its amazing! Yes it has cones but cleans the hair nicely leaving it soft and silky yet clean :) Just ordered one n only argan oil shampoo which sounds great but we shall see how well that works ! (im a bit of a shampoo junkie :p ) And changing your part to a deep side part might help as it looks like its in the middle in your pic! and it might help train the bangs to stay out of your face.. oh! and dry shampoo works wonders (batiste brunette is the one I use) It gives the illusion of more volume and nice fluffy clean hair!

To get that hairstyle I would cut maybe an inch from the length to allow the layers to catch up. It looks like the only difference Is the longer layers.. bring the pictures to the salon and she'll be able to give you advice too :) Good luck and hope I helped :)

heyitsmiriam
August 24th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Thank you so much! Especially about the hairstyling tip...I tried parting my hair deeper but it seems to set itself and glue itself to my forehead :( I try to round brush it to give it some lift, but it only stays for a second.

lapushka
August 24th, 2014, 04:29 PM
My questions are:

You need to figure out whether or not you want to use a shampoo with sulfates, yes/no, and silicones, yes/no. Personally, I am oily as well, I stay away from shampoos with silicones because my hair tends to get oilier faster from them being in there.

Secondly, I'd stop cutting the hair. Let it grow for a while, then you might go for that cut you want.

heyitsmiriam
August 24th, 2014, 06:41 PM
You need to figure out whether or not you want to use a shampoo with sulfates, yes/no, and silicones, yes/no. Personally, I am oily as well, I stay away from shampoos with silicones because my hair tends to get oilier faster from them being in there.

Secondly, I'd stop cutting the hair. Let it grow for a while, then you might go for that cut you want.

Thanks! I've decided that sulfates don't upset my hair, so I'm going to go with that. Silciones on the other hand only have the nice effect of shine and slip for so long, so I'm going as cone free as I can by opting for silicone free or water soluble silicones. Thanks :)

Johannah
August 25th, 2014, 02:08 AM
How much do you wash your hair?

heyitsmiriam
August 25th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Well, I brought myself into the vicious cycle of having to wash it everyday, but recently I've skipped at least a day between washes because I haven't gone out anywhere. But the last time I fully washed my hair was 2 days ago on Saturday.

Johannah
August 25th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Well, I brought myself into the vicious cycle of having to wash it everyday, but recently I've skipped at least a day between washes because I haven't gone out anywhere. But the last time I fully washed my hair was 2 days ago on Saturday.

I already thought you were going to say this. Try to stretch your washes and use dry shampoo in between. The first weeks your hair will be greasy, but after a while this will disappear. You should be able to stretch your washes to once a week, or at least twice a week.

animetor7
August 25th, 2014, 10:57 PM
If you're going to be using cones you'll need to include some sort of sulfate at least every once in a while in order to take care of buildup, you said once a month but that might not be enough for your hair type if you're using cones. But cones can also contribute to greasy hair for some hair types, so as a fairly easy first step you might try going cone-free for a little bit and see if it helps. If you find it makes no difference and you still want to use cones, make sure you use a clarifying shampoo at least every once in a while so as to avoid buildup which can cause lank, greasy hair. So, to make sense of my scattered post I'll write some steps I'd take if I were in your situation.

1) clarify your hair and see if it helps.

2) Try a cone-free conditioner for a while to see if that helps with greasy roots.

3) If you decide to go back to cones make sure to include clarifying in your routine more regularly.

4) stay away from the scissors for a while and enjoy the length gain. :)

ladyfey
August 26th, 2014, 05:47 AM
Regarding stretching washes, it doesn't work for everyone. I wash every other day, and I really need to. I am in my 40s, have ankle length hair and indeed, need to wash my scalp at least every other day. Some people really do need to wash frequently.