PDA

View Full Version : Adore hair color questions

blue_eyes
August 23rd, 2014, 01:25 PM
I've been growing out dark brown (almost black) permanent dye for a year, and it has faded a lot to a reddish brown color, and I've got 6 inches of blonette roots. The dye is a little patchy, and aside from the roots, it's pretty damaged. I'm toying with the idea of trying Adore hair color (in dark brown), but have a few questions for anyone who has semi-permanent dye knowledge. :P

1) Would it turn out an even color, given that my hair is patchy & tri-colored at the moment?
2) Would I have to dye my entire length of hair every time I dye?
3) How quickly will it fade/ how often am I likely to have to re-color?
4) Is it really 100% non-damaging?

I've never used semi-perm dyes so I don't know what to expect, so any general advice is greatly appreciated. I'm really unsure whether I want to dye my hair again or not, mostly because I do want long hair & I've got about 12 inches of dye-damage, so I feel very nervous about using dye now.

If Adore really is non-damaging, no matter how many times I use it, it almost sounds too good to be true. :P

Thanks in advance!! :)

sleepingduty
August 23rd, 2014, 03:05 PM
I can tell you a little bit of what I know based on previous experience. When you dye your hair with a permanent dye, the strong peroxide it contains lifts and opens the cuticle, then the dye is deposited in the "core" portion of the hair. Over time this damages the outside of the hair, as it loses some protein and the outside gets kind of shaggy. When you use a semi like adore, with hair that is damaged, it may retain the color permanently, but the roots that you have will be dyed initially, but fade much quicker. This is because the dyed hair doesn't have an intact cuticle. Direst dyes (like Adore) don't have any peroxide in it to lift or damage the cuticle. Sort of like paints your hair. So to make a long story short, initially it will be all one color, but then the roots will fade, and the ends may stay dark forever. If you don't like the line of demarcation, and you are thinking you might want to go back to close to your original color, you might want to try a color remover product and see what color you could get. The color removers dry the hair a little, but you can use a good conditioner after and it makes it feel much better. Also if you have bleached your hair with highlights or whatever that really damages the hair and you need to add more protein ( I have heard the joico k pak is good.) My personal journey started with a really bad dye job. I tried to dye my own hair and made it worse. I have silver grey hair on top, and I used a color remover called Vanish (3x) to get a dark brown color out of my hair. Left it looking much lighter, golden on the dyed areas. Then I just let my hair grow out a little. Used the joico kpak. Used heavy ph balancing conditioner. After deciding I really didn't like the look of my silvers I started using cassia obovata. It imparted a golden color to my hair and really made it feel good and soft. Lately I have been using a 90% cassia 10% jamila henna mix for a light coppery color and my hair is in great condition now. No split ends, soft, not damaged. So it really depends on what you want long term for your hair. Hope I answered your question :)

blue_eyes
August 23rd, 2014, 04:46 PM
Thanks so much for your reply, it was helpful! I understand what you mean about the semi-perm dye sticking permanently to the already dyed hair and fading from my virgin roots, but does that just mean I'd have to dye them (the roots) with the semi-perm again (and every time the roots started to fade?)

sleepingduty
August 23rd, 2014, 06:59 PM
Yes because the roots will fade quicker (if you want to maintain the look of dark brown hair). Also, some people have had success putting the adore hair color in conditioner to make it last longer. I have never personally used adore, considered it, as it is not supposed to damage hair, but in the long run it seemed like too much work for the payback.

Rosetta
August 24th, 2014, 02:23 AM
It really is 100% non-damaging, as these kind of dyes are a bit like (weak) conditioner with pigments :) And yes, the roots will fade quickly and damaged parts might absorb the dye permanently, from my experience. I have used Adore sometime, and if I remember right I ended up removing it with Colour B4 type of product ;) Maybe it would be better not to choose such a dark shade as dark brown, if you don't want too much of a difference to your roots..?