PDA

View Full Version : Are roller sets a dead hairdressing art form?

CurlyCap
August 22nd, 2014, 04:49 PM
One of my favorite summer self-indulgences used ot be to go to a hairdresser and have them put my hair in magnetic rollers. I'd leave the dresser with a giant kerchief over my head and then go garden or do laundry. By the time I went out on a date or out on the town, my hair would be dry and I could have lovely waves.

I"ve been calling around, and it seems that no one does this anymore. Some dominican salons will put rollers in, but then flat ironing is part of the package. And very few people seem to understand that air drying rollers leaves a very different effect from heat drying rollers.

I haven't had a dresser put in rollers in 5-6 years. Before I cut my hair, I could do my own rolers as long as my hair was thinned/layered. This time around, now that my hair is longer again but also full thickness...and I'm just too lazy to attempt my own wet set.

Any thoughts? I live in larger city now and maybe it just isn't a fashionable enough thing to do anymore to earn hairdressers money?

mz_butterfly
August 22nd, 2014, 05:08 PM
I read that as "Are roller SKATES a dead hairdressing art form?" and I thought, "well, I certainly hope so"!

I don't want anyone on roller-skates to come near me with any sharp objects, especially scissors, cutting my hair! hahaha

That was a wild image in my head.

mz_butterfly
August 22nd, 2014, 05:12 PM
I know you live in a new area and the neighbors were, well, nosey. But maybe you can find someone in the neighborhood who does hair and ask them to do the rollers for you and negotiate payment? (I am thinking what, 10 bucks should be about right?) I know people who braid hair for extra cash, I am assuming that someone can do your rollers for a small fee?

DweamGoiL
August 22nd, 2014, 06:17 PM
I am sure if you go to a Dominican salon with your own rollers, they will roll your hair. Since it's time consuming and you will not be having anything else done that is more profitable, you may have a long wait until they can squeeze you in between other clients. If you pay well, they aren't going to say no.

Carolyn
August 22nd, 2014, 06:47 PM
I've set my own hair since I was in the 8th grade. It's been from shoulder length to tailbone. I think there is a knack for rolling and then also for pinning each roller to the previous one. I'm out of practice now! Even when my hair was at it's longest I could roll it in about 20 minutes. I would much rather spend 20 minutes at home doing it myself than to have to suffer with a stylist rolling my hair. I've only had it done maybe three times but still remember how hard it was to sit there and suffer through something I could do faster and better at home.

sweetestpoison
August 22nd, 2014, 06:50 PM
I don't know about other states or even cities but here in NC roller sets were a big part of cosmetology school. It was the first thing we learned and was on several tests. A lot of women around here get them regularly. At my first salon there were women who would come in twice a week, every week! Of course it is the south so that might have something to do with it. I LOVE a good roller set but have adapted a pinned round brush technique that gives a more controlled finished result so i haven't had to actually do one in months. But when i was still in school i had a lady come in for her wedding and she wanted a roller set and makeup, i'll never forget how much she loved the end result. The best thing about roller sets versus a round brush blow out is they will last longer and tend to be a little curlier (depending on the size of the roller and brushes of course) so they are great for people who have challenges holding a curl and volume! Oh and Victorias Secret artists use hot roller sets on their lovely models :)

CurlyCap
August 22nd, 2014, 07:16 PM
Ah, but Carolyn.

In my hair, the trick is to knock the curls OUT with the rollers. So my hair slides and attempts to escape the entire procedure until the entirety of my very thick hair is rolled in very thin sections.

I know how to do it, and I'm very good at it....but as I said in OP....so not a treat when I have to do it myself.

CurlyCap
August 22nd, 2014, 07:17 PM
Mz_butterfly,

Gah! I have to update that thread! Suffice it to say, yes the neighbors are nosey and no I will not be asking anyone for favors. I sudder even thinking about it!

:couch:

kysgrl
August 22nd, 2014, 10:29 PM
They do wet sets at the beauty school here for 5 dollars. Might be worth checking out.

FrannyG
August 23rd, 2014, 05:53 AM
I also recommend trying a hairdressing school. If you don't have one near you, perhaps in the spirit of indulgence, you could pay one of the salons to do the set, skip the flatiron, but pay the full price anyway. I don't know how much they would charge for that, but it just might be worth it, for a treat. I really do understand the difference of having someone else do it for you. It's been a decade since I've been to a salon, and I miss the pampering and chitchat, sometimes. I like the savings, though. :)

spidermom
August 23rd, 2014, 11:05 AM
My hairstylist did it. I told her that was what I wanted when I booked the appointment. No problems.

CurlyCap
August 23rd, 2014, 06:38 PM
Lol.

Found a hair school around here that did wet sets. $6.

It was pretty much a disaster. They didn't know what to do with my hair length, didn't have any products besides shampoo and conditioner (I was paranoid and had brought my own conditioner....so they had something my hair didn't laugh at).

And then when it was time to wet set my hair they didn't realize that my hair would try to escape the entire time they were rolling. So the set is pretty loose. I'm going to let it dry and just enjoy the $6-ness of it. Pretend it was just cheap entertainment. XD

blace
August 23rd, 2014, 07:58 PM
Not dead...but in the process of dying.

In the salon where I work, we have several mature ladies who come in for their weekly Shampoos and Sets. Most of these women are looking for volume/body/curl that will last them through the week with no additional styling on their part.

I typically don't style these women and book them with others as I am a newer stylist and not particularly skilled in the art of rolling hair.

On a personal note, occasionally I use very large rollers on myself to smooth out my waves and add body.