PDA

View Full Version : Need some encouragement! Chopped my hair to shoulder length after disaster ! :(

stephy190
August 22nd, 2014, 10:46 AM
Basically my hair was getting quite long.. was close to BSL then I got some dodgy layers put in which I tried to fix myself and made it worse! Regret trying to do anything.. as it made one side about 4 inches shorter than the other..like an asymmetric cut. Was terrible. So booked an appointment today to see if she could save any length and she couldn't.. she said for it to look nice and even again she'd have to cut all the length off up to just past my shoulder :( im so upset right now.. I mean my hair is soft silky, nice with layers now and I don't feel like im going crazy with anxiety with lack of hair on one side but im back to just below shoulder length again. back to square one. I had a goal for my final year of uni to have long hair again. (about a year ago it was half way down my back and I loved it) And final year of uni starts in a few weeks. Feel so depressed.. just lost about 4 inches of hair :( What can I do ?:( Bit of a rant here.. Also how long will It take to start to look long again ? Like around middle length to BSL. Its just hovering around APL now..

Even more irritating when the hairdresser says 'wow your hair is in amazing condition..so soft and shiny' then has to chop all my hard work off :'(

aloha
August 22nd, 2014, 10:50 AM
Hugs i like to take a picture so i dont forget

martyna_22
August 22nd, 2014, 10:55 AM
I'm sorry you have to go through this :grouphug:
I think many of us make a mistake of this sort at one point or another. Last year I chopped mine from waist+ to not quite BSL, 5 inches I think. I'd messed up my hemline and decided to even it up.
On the bright side, if you had any damage, you're starting fresh. You should enjoy having shorter hair for now, it won't take long to grow it back, but it also depends on your growth every month. Just remember to drnk plenty of water, eat healthy food with enough vitamins and protein and that's practically it. You'll be there in no time! :)

blue_eyes
August 22nd, 2014, 10:59 AM
I'm sorry this happened to you. I really sympathize, a year ago I'd finally reached my goal of WL (dyed black) & stupidly tried to go blonde, and it was so damaged I had to cut it to about APL, maybe a little shorter. I wished I'd never touched it...I basically had to start all over again. I know how much that sucks. :(

I think in another year your hair should be around BSL again (in a year people on average get 6 inches of growth). My only advice is to focus on your hair being healthy & soft and just focus on treating it nicely, eating well, and doing scalp massages. Anything you can do to maximize growth.

battles
August 22nd, 2014, 11:06 AM
I'm growing out after a big chop, but mine was my decision. I can't imagine having it done without my consent. Sorry that happened to you. :(

On the bright side, APL to BSL shouldn't take long. Just take good care of yourself and your hair and you'll get there before you know it. You could try wearing it up more often so you don't focus on it as much.

Johannah
August 22nd, 2014, 11:10 AM
Hugs! :grouphug: I know how you feel sweetheart. Before I joined this forum, I already grew my hair for a while. I went to the hairdresser to even up my hemline and to get layers and she cut off 4 inches (and I even HATED the layers!!).

I know it's hard but try to see this as a fresh start. Your hair has lost length - yes - but you'll definitely won't need to worry about split ends or tapers, and you can focus on growing it without cutting for at least a year, maybe longer. You could look at experimenting threads and maybe you find something that works for you - if it doesn't make your hair grow faster, it might help with its health and quality. Or maybe just benign neglect if you're open to that. Join some challenges like the 'no cutting in 2014' or 'wear your hair up challenge' (you could do some braids instead of buns).

Think back of the last couple of years. Those passed by very quick, didn't they? Time passes faster than you know! You'll be at your goal before you know it!

butter52
August 22nd, 2014, 11:26 AM
Hair just grows! Its not worth getting depressed about it.

Im sure you look pretty in APL, enjoy it!

Yuuki
August 22nd, 2014, 11:30 AM
I went through something similar recently. My layers were a mess and after trying to grow them out for what felt like forever, I decided to cut some of them out, but ended up with a wonky cut! So I had to chop more off.. I ended up with 7 inches cut off (my hair was a little longer than BSL.)

I know the feeling of regret is horrible. I'm feeling it myself! But focus on what comes next. Make a new goal for yourself. I've decided not to cut my hair for a year. I'm also wearing mine up until it gains some length - maybe you could do the same? There are some styles that become difficult when your hair is long, so look into cute updos for shoulder length hair.

Also this one is hard but try not to focus on how fast your hair is growing. Focus on other things and before you know it, you will have your long hair back.

LLicious85
August 22nd, 2014, 11:54 AM
Basically my hair was getting quite long.. was close to BSL then I got some dodgy layers put in which I tried to fix myself and made it worse! Regret trying to do anything.. as it made one side about 4 inches shorter than the other..like an asymmetric cut. Was terrible. So booked an appointment today to see if she could save any length and she couldn't.. she said for it to look nice and even again she'd have to cut all the length off up to just past my shoulder :( im so upset right now.. I mean my hair is soft silky, nice with layers now and I don't feel like im going crazy with anxiety with lack of hair on one side but im back to just below shoulder length again. back to square one. I had a goal for my final year of uni to have long hair again. (about a year ago it was half way down my back and I loved it) And final year of uni starts in a few weeks. Feel so depressed.. just lost about 4 inches of hair :( What can I do ?:( Bit of a rant here.. Also how long will It take to start to look long again ? Like around middle length to BSL. Its just hovering around APL now..

Even more irritating when the hairdresser says 'wow your hair is in amazing condition..so soft and shiny' then has to chop all my hard work off :'(

It will grow and in a short time, you will be admiring it in the mirror and look back on now and think how long ago it seemed. Be brave, soldier through. I am sure it looks beautiful, even now. Keep your spirits up.

chen bao jun
August 22nd, 2014, 12:25 PM
A hairdresser layered me without telling me TWO WEEKS BEFORE MY WEDDING.
It's 31 years ago now and I still think that sucks. I ended up chopping to a pixie soon after the wedding, which I wish I hadn't done--wish I had had the LHC to comfort me back then.
On the bright side, hubby said then and still says that he thought I looked fine in the layers, and the pixie and that I always look pretty. (except in a bun).
You will grow back soon--and you will know not to layer when you get near your goal next time and it will be SUCCESS!

FrannyG
August 22nd, 2014, 01:24 PM
I have cut my hair for necessary reasons more times than I can count since joining LHC, and it always grows back. You'll be surprised how quickly you'll be back to your previous length if you don't obsess about it. You'll get there, and in the mean time, you've got a lot of people here behind you, cheering you on.

stephy190
August 22nd, 2014, 03:01 PM
I'm sorry you have to go through this :grouphug:
I think many of us make a mistake of this sort at one point or another. Last year I chopped mine from waist+ to not quite BSL, 5 inches I think. I'd messed up my hemline and decided to even it up.
On the bright side, if you had any damage, you're starting fresh. You should enjoy having shorter hair for now, it won't take long to grow it back, but it also depends on your growth every month. Just remember to drnk plenty of water, eat healthy food with enough vitamins and protein and that's practically it. You'll be there in no time! :)

Yeah what sucks is that is was the length not the layers that were messed up.. so had no other choice.. thanks for reminding me short hair isnt forever! Also that my bf loves long hair I just hate this has happened even more..

stephy190
August 22nd, 2014, 03:05 PM
I'm sorry this happened to you. I really sympathize, a year ago I'd finally reached my goal of WL (dyed black) & stupidly tried to go blonde, and it was so damaged I had to cut it to about APL, maybe a little shorter. I wished I'd never touched it...I basically had to start all over again. I know how much that sucks. :(

I think in another year your hair should be around BSL again (in a year people on average get 6 inches of growth). My only advice is to focus on your hair being healthy & soft and just focus on treating it nicely, eating well, and doing scalp massages. Anything you can do to maximize growth.

Oh no sounds awful.. especially the jump from waist to apl must have been quite hard! Yeah wish id never touched mine either..been so upset all day.. actually feel kinda emotionally unstable lol! I guess time will tell how long it takes to grow back

stephy190
August 22nd, 2014, 03:08 PM
I'm growing out after a big chop, but mine was my decision. I can't imagine having it done without my consent. Sorry that happened to you. :(

On the bright side, APL to BSL shouldn't take long. Just take good care of yourself and your hair and you'll get there before you know it. You could try wearing it up more often so you don't focus on it as much.

Yeah its the fact It wasnt my choice.. last year I got a big chop to around the same length but this was when I wanted to start growing healthy hairr so was what I wanted..this time my hair was super healthy but just chopped it wrong and its my fault too *facepalm
Oh really? I thought itd take about 8 months.. just seems so long.. like the whole uni year :(

stephy190
August 22nd, 2014, 03:25 PM
Yeah its irritating having setbacks.. hindsight eh! Yeah gotta see it as a fresh start! Do you think I could go a year without trims? Woah.. might try that actually! Might speed up the growth! Yeah like wearing it up in buns and stuff.. deffo speeds up the growth a bit! Also just bought a new shampoo thats sulphate paraben and silicone free and has argan oil too and gets super good reviews so that should help with keeping it healthy :)Thanks for the tips :)) x

lapushka
August 23rd, 2014, 03:35 AM
Its just hovering around APL now..

Well that's better than "just" below shoulder. Get set on reaching APL first, and before you know it you'll have gotten to that goal, and it gets better from there. APL was the time I started wearing it up, you know, stuff could be done with it. :)

At least you're rid of the layers, yes?

Majorane
August 23rd, 2014, 04:55 AM
I feel the pain! I've been stuck at the APL-BSL territory for more than three years. First, the layers needed to catch up. Then, damage needed to be cut out. Then, I cut it myself for a while and after a year went to a hairdresser after many selfcuts* and she said it was uneven so she evened it for me. Aaaaand then it was finally at BSL and I did an ombre, but by the time the bleach had reached through my henna, no hair was left so that crubled away and then I had a cut done on holiday in december and I HAD SHOULDERLENGHT LAYERED HELLHAIR. And now I'm, after three years of effort, alllllmost at BSL again, but still with damage from... the last bits of bleach, and Gremlins, I think. And it's unevenly cut by me. But I don't care, no-one notices. Now I really just let it go.

Sooooo, I feel your pain a bit.... try not to think about it too much after the initial mourning process, and pamper yourself with somemcute toys to love your hair at almost APL! Side combs, cheap ebay flowers that look cute, accent braidies.....

Hug to you!

* I know it's normal LHC terminology but 'cutting oneself' or 'self cutting' always calls up a lot of way less pleasant images in my head. Ugh.

dulcie
August 23rd, 2014, 07:51 AM
I feel for you but it will get better day by day. Look at the positive,keep it in tip top condition now and it will be so healthy and everyone will be jealous when its long again!!!

LLicious85
September 2nd, 2014, 08:22 AM
It will grow back quicker than you know and then you HAVE to show us all. Keep positive and bide your time. Long hair is just around the corner.

Zesty
September 2nd, 2014, 09:01 AM
I feel you. I cut my hair from TBL to collarbone and was happy for about 10 months, and now I kind of regret it (I could have been halfway to classic!). Advice I'm using to stay positive:

-Try to focus on how healthy your hair is! If it was healthy long, you must have nary a split now, and if you take such good care of it it'll be shiny and beautiful! Length isn't the only positive attribute hair can have. And just think, you can go a while without trimming since it's so healthy and you'll have good LHC-ish hair habits. So it'll seem to get longer even faster because you don't have to lose length with haircuts.
-Enjoy this length. Later you might wish you could make a Gibson tuck or a tucked French braid or a French twist or whatever other styles you can do with shorter hair that you can't do when your hair gets really long.
-Forget about length, except for once a month. Then take a length picture so you can see progress.
-Experiment with different routines. If you find one you love now, it can really help you down the road.

You're not alone, and we're here to cheer you on. Happy growing! :)

Nymphea
September 2nd, 2014, 09:19 AM
Hey, dear stephy190! You are definitely not alone!

Think this way: you still have an amazingly healthy hair and it will grow more or less quickly. Until then try to enjoy this length stage - you might miss it some day! :D

I know it sounds impossible, but sometimes I miss the feeling of shoulder-length hair. Obviously, I don't miss it that much (otherwise I'd cut) but still... I kind of wonder how it was back then.

And bad haircut experiences... Many of us have it. My last one was when I was 11 - went from TBL to barely shoulder because of a scissor-happy stylist. No stylist has ever seen me since. :) Anyway, that was the last time I saw my hair that short, later I went only to almost BSL, not shorter.

Anyway, concentrate on positive things, set your mind on benign neglect and you will be back to BSL in no time! :)

Good luck, we are here to support you!

Nymphea
September 2nd, 2014, 09:28 AM
Hey, dear stephy190! You are definitely not alone!

Think this way: you still have an amazingly healthy hair and it will grow more or less quickly. Until then try to enjoy this length stage - you might miss it some day! :D

I know it sounds impossible, but sometimes I miss the feeling of shoulder-length hair. Obviously, I don't miss it that much (otherwise I'd cut) but still... I kind of wonder how it was back then.

And bad haircut experiences... Many of us have it. My last one was when I was 11 - went from TBL to barely shoulder because of a scissor-happy stylist. No stylist has ever seen me since. :) Anyway, that was the last time I saw my hair that short, later I went only to almost BSL, not shorter.

Anyway, concentrate on positive things, set your mind on benign neglect and you will be back to BSL in no time! :)

Good luck, we are here to support you!

Nymphea
September 2nd, 2014, 09:30 AM
Oops, double post, I'll try to fix it!

PinkyCat
September 2nd, 2014, 02:32 PM
Length isn't the only positive attribute hair can have.

THIS! 1,000 X this! :)

meteor
September 2nd, 2014, 06:50 PM
Hugs to you! :grouphug: So sorry that this happened!
I'd say the bright side is that your ends are super-fresh and hair is completely undamaged. From that position, it's pretty easy to grow out hair and retain the length.
Also, from your avatar, I'd guess that your hair is straight, and straight hair gains visible length significantly faster than wavy and especially curly hair. It shouldn't take too long to get from APL to BSL. :)

Yeah its irritating having setbacks.. hindsight eh! Yeah gotta see it as a fresh start! Do you think I could go a year without trims? Woah.. might try that actually! Might speed up the growth! Yeah like wearing it up in buns and stuff.. deffo speeds up the growth a bit! Also just bought a new shampoo thats sulphate paraben and silicone free and has argan oil too and gets super good reviews so that should help with keeping it healthy :)Thanks for the tips :)) x

Yes, actually. If you are desperate for length and especially if your hair is M or C, you can go a year or longer without trims. If your ends are not damaged, trims are simply not necessary. So baby your ends, oil them when they are dry, keep hair up as much as you can, sleep on silk/satin, wear a hat/scarf when you are out on a windy/sunny day... that should keep your ends in pristine condition. :)
You might want to join the "no trims in 2014 challenge" and/or "wear hair up challenge" to help you along. :)

Good luck! :D And happy growing! :flower: