PDA

View Full Version : rainwater?

bna_rapunzel
August 21st, 2014, 04:58 PM
So.... the rain typically makes the garden and weeds grow like crazy. I just collected a cup of rain water as an experiment to spray on my hair and scalp. Should I add anything to it?

Creagan
August 21st, 2014, 05:46 PM
The only major differences between rain water and tap water is hardness and lack of chlorine. Spritzing your hair with rain water won't do anything to your growth rate.

If you life in an area with hard water, you might be able to soften your hair with rain water, and maybe reduce shedding. But you'd have to wash with it.

bna_rapunzel
August 21st, 2014, 05:59 PM
Awww bummer. Well ill just use it as a homemade leave in base lol. Thank you:) youre all so knowledgeable

jacqueline101
August 21st, 2014, 06:07 PM
You could try a growth experiment in the conventional section I think. They've different challenges.

Red'N'Curly
August 21st, 2014, 09:53 PM
Ooh! It won't make it grow, but I would feel so feminine and glamorous washing with rain water ;)

meteor
August 22nd, 2014, 11:23 AM
It won't make your hair grow faster, but it may be better for your hair's condition as you may be able to avoid some mineral build-up this way.

Rain water is soft water and it's slightly more acidic than what we get from the tap, and you won't be exposed to chlorine in tap water...
So if you have a good and very clean collection system for rainwater, I don't see why not! :D

Johannah
August 22nd, 2014, 11:47 AM
The only thing that rain does for my hair is making it a 2b/2c ;)

velorutionista
August 22nd, 2014, 01:36 PM
I don't think rain water will have much affect on hair one way or another, but your post did remind me of Dr. Strangelove, so thanks for the chuckle!

blace
August 23rd, 2014, 08:13 PM
Interesting idea. I don't know anything factual about it but I'm reminded of an anecdote from my mother:

She would regularly visit her grandparents during the summers. The lived deep in the woods on the Michigan/Canada border in a home that they themselves built. The home had some sort of stone or slate roof and along the edges of this house were barrels for collecting rainwater. She would wash her hair in this water and never saw it as shiny, healthy or brilliant as it was then.

Rainwater? Maybe. Minerals from the roof? Possibly.
Either way, I've always liked this story from her and the idea of rainwater rinses.

Stormynights
August 23rd, 2014, 09:01 PM
When I was a child my mother caught rain water to rinse our hair with.

MJ1972
August 24th, 2014, 12:06 AM
Back when I was experimenting with a water-only regimen, seven years ago now, rainwater was one of very few things that made my hair look somewhat presentable. I could never collect enough water, though, nor apply it to my hair with the kind of pressure water-only washing requires, so in the end I stopped collecting it. It made my hair nice and soft, though...

Nanna
August 24th, 2014, 11:23 AM
I've been living "in the wild" for about a month now, at a friend's summer cottage, and I've been wondering why my hair is constantly sticky and weird. Today (I know, I'm a bit slow sometimes...) I had an idea and rinsed my hair with rainwater instead of in the lake as usual. It's still wet, but feeling much better already. I guess the lake has some algae and stuff in it. I had always thought it's all the same natural water, and perhaps in a bigger lake like the one near our own cottage it is, but this is a very small one and to be honest quite muddy indeed. Hopefully I can now once again get the comb through my hair!

ETA: dried really silky and soft, and easy to comb even without any conditioner. Too bad I can't collect rainwater at home...