PDA

View Full Version : Dyeing my hair for the first time

thebacontree
August 21st, 2014, 12:36 PM
Hi people, this is my first post, but thats not the point.
Tommorow im going to dye my hair black for the first time :D,
its only a temporary dye (2 months) but id like to ask a few questions.:confused:

1.Do i wash my hair first?
2.Can i wash my hair the day before?
3.Im going from dark brown to black, will that cause any problems?
4.My school has a rule that you cant dye your hair in outstanding colors, will black catch that much attention?
5. If i want to remove it before the 2 months mark, how do i do that?

Well, thats about it for my first post:D.

missblueeyes
August 21st, 2014, 12:44 PM
I'm by far not an expert or hair stylist but I've head almost any hair color so far and I've always done it at home with little mishaps.
As far as washing goes, you can wash your hair the day before but it should be given in the dye's instructions whether it should be applied on wet or dry hair. I only ever really dyed ontop of dry hair, though, as the water might dilute the dye otherwise.
What you should not use on your hair before dyeing it (as far as I know) are hair oils and silicones.
I don't think that going from brown to black would give you any troubles, neither at school or while dyeing. Just be aware that black is a very strong color so it might not wash out completely and stain your hair permanently.
As to removing it before the 2 months mark, you could try a hair color remover like ColorB4 or HairOOPS or whatever it's called exactly. :)

Good luck, I hope you get the results you're hoping for!

thebacontree
August 21st, 2014, 12:57 PM
thank you very much. ill maybe post a before and after pic if i like it ;)

thebacontree
August 21st, 2014, 02:16 PM
Im still having some doubts on doing it.Is there a chance it doesnt suit me AT ALL?

cathair
August 21st, 2014, 02:23 PM
Im still having some doubts on doing it.Is there a chance it doesnt suit me AT ALL?

What kind of black dye are you doing to use? Maybe you should try something that will wash out in a couple of washes, then you can be sure if you like it or not? Black dye shouldn't really stain your hair afterwards if you have dark brown hair to start with, so you shouldn't get stuck with it :)

martyna_22
August 21st, 2014, 02:29 PM
Could you edit your picture in some computer application? It's fairly easy and should give you a clear picture of what you're going to look like :)
I'm hennaing, so I have no commercial dye experience whatsoever, but good luck!

thebacontree
August 21st, 2014, 02:29 PM
it is one that washes out in a few washes. But is it a color you can easily screw up?( as in it looks ugly on you)
cause id still be stuck with it for 2 months :) . its a casting creme gloss from l'oreal (nr 100 i think).
ive seen it on another person and i liked it XD

thebacontree
August 21st, 2014, 02:31 PM
Martyna: thank you for the advice :). i heard its a whole lot of work to upload pics here?

PinkyCat
August 21st, 2014, 02:39 PM
My best advice is to comb it through your hair when you are done applying. It seems like every time I see someone go darker, they miss a few spots and it sticks out like a sore thumb. Combing the dye will distribute it nice and evenly so you avoid that. Oh, and stand in the tub when you do because there's usually splatter.

Good luck

lapushka
August 21st, 2014, 02:42 PM
I always used to dye on "dirty" hair. The oil gives an additional layer of protection against the harshness of the dye, even though it is "only" a semi-permanent.

thebacontree
August 21st, 2014, 03:01 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Any other simple tips?

ErinLeigh
August 21st, 2014, 08:59 PM
This does have low levels of peroxide so you can expect it may stick longer if hair is more porous. It could also give natural color a bit of a brass that will show after the black does fade. Demi and semis will tend to make hair feel fuller and appear shinier at first but there is some damage that happens. It will not fry your hair though. Some reviews mention a little bit of bleeding dye first couple washes. The darker dyes do tend to stick longer so removing could call for color remover like color oops if it doesn't fade as expected. That's about all I can think of for now.

The directions on box will advise regarding if hair should be unwashed day prior. If hair is clean and box advised unwashed..coconut oil is a good way to "dirty" it up.

Good luck with this. If you feel hesitation at all though I would try a manic panic or deposit only first to see how the color looks. Black csn either appear striking ..or if it does not suit skin it will make the shadows on face stand out more. Based on your age though I think the former is more likely :)

Horrorpops
August 21st, 2014, 09:19 PM
I second PP saying to dye on semi-greasy unwashed hair! My mother was a hair dresser and it can really make a difference on the dryness and damage caused by dying.
Normally the package will have instructions on applying to wet vs dry hair.
I also second finding a shorter lived colour than two months (especially for black). I know in Australia you can buy 8 day colours from most supermarkets and pharmacies that are really cheap and wash out really quickly. This might be a better 'trial' dye than a semi-permanent 2 month dye.

thebacontree
August 21st, 2014, 11:59 PM
Here we dont have those 8days ones :(. and it isnt exactly 2 months it says. i think its counted in washes (4 to 6 washes)

Horrorpops
August 22nd, 2014, 01:06 AM
Here we dont have those 8days ones :(. and it isnt exactly 2 months it says. i think its counted in washes (4 to 6 washes)

Ahh what a pity! They're awesome if you just want to drip your toe in, so to speak. I used to dye my hair red with 4-6 wash dyes and found after a while the colour didn't wash out but that was after nearly a year of regular dying so even with black it should be ok I suppose! Good luck!! When are you thinking of dying it?

martyna_22
August 22nd, 2014, 03:03 AM
Martyna: thank you for the advice :). i heard its a whole lot of work to upload pics here?

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, but I probably went to sleep by then as it was pretty late where I live :)
In order to upload a picture right here, you first upload to a website that hosts images, like photobucket, and once you're done, you copy their URL by right-clicking on them, and there's this insert-image icon right here. I'm not sure if you don't have to wait to get more posts, but you could always post links.
When it comes to picture editing, I use gimp, choose a color I want, create a new layer, paint over my hair with a paintbrush and change the layer settings to soft light. Then you can play with opacity.
It's really easy, though, give it a try :)

Rosetta
August 22nd, 2014, 03:51 AM
Casting Creme Gloss actually lasts about 28 washes, if that's the dye you're going to use? Though I've heard many reports saying the CCG dark shades actually last much longer than that, especially on porous hair, and come out much darker than they're supposed to, though with black that might not be such a problem (as it's already as dark as you can get) ;)

Isilme
August 22nd, 2014, 04:15 AM
Be careful with black, I used one of those "lasts 8-24 washes" once and it stuck, gave me a horrible regrowth.

cathair
August 22nd, 2014, 07:34 AM
I wouldn't use anything that has peroxide in it. Your hair will never return to the same colour, whether it says it washes out or not. Using dye with a same amount of peroxide is how my Mum ended up with hair that is a strange orange colour instead of mid brown.

Trying something like Directions or Manic Panic in black. They don't have any peroxide, they are more like conditioner with loads of pigment in:

www.lariche.co.uk/directions-hair-colour

http://www.manicpanic.com/

cathair
August 22nd, 2014, 07:36 AM
Or failing that some Nice n Easy 8 washes. I *think* from memory that doesn't have peroxide in, but it would be worth checking if you go that route:

http://www.clairol.co.uk/en-UK/how-to-page.aspx?collectionid=1784

thebacontree
August 22nd, 2014, 08:17 AM
I dyed it today :D , some of the advice was really helpfull :D
. Rosseta: yeah i noticed last second it was an 28 week one so i used another on (poly palette),
i really like it :D. t-Thanks for al the advice guys:D